Why get rid of Swamp, Highway + Sacred Valley When...

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:39 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20724 battles

...Paris, Mines, Mountain Pass, Abbey and Province are arguably worse maps? Was there ever any explanation given for the why they got rid of some maps, kept others and reintroduced previous fail maps like Province? Don't get me wrong I am not saying Swamp, Highway and Sacred Valley were great maps but they were actually far less limited than the others mentioned in the sense that you could actually cross over and back in many places and there were simply more options to mix things up a bit instead of these boring and limited 3 corridors with impassable buildings or mountains or lakes type of maps.

I was glad to see Wide Park go but even at that, could they not have kept that map for starter tiers? It wasn't a great map but it would have been fine for tier1-3 and so would Mines and any of the maps I mentioned, all fine for little pew pew tanks though I saw absolutely no reason Highway should have been removed and was fine for higher tiers imo, not the best but far less limited and dull than the mentioned along with the like of Fjords which is another "line up and wait" sort of map.

This new re-introduced map Province... I never played the original one but for me this is just not much options or else I am playing it wrong and I can accept I am not playing this map correctly but for now it just seems like two cannon ships showing each other the broadside and exchanging fire across a totally unusable central part of the map unless you have a fast light tank, race into some bushes in the middle of the map and basically go have a coffee because you can never shoot without being spotted and cut down immediately by all the campers. Some tanks race across north or south which is the only crossing obviously and then you have some messy, awkward but never fun fire fight with campers getting raged cheap shots from the other side for any gap between buildings... what would make it better, I don't know, maybe another player has spotted a cure lol.

Slyspy #2 Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:41 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14193 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

The argument that because some other maps are poor it was wrong to get rid of some of other poor maps is not a good one.

Edit: However, the idea that some maps would be fine if restricted to lower tiers is sensible. WG are not. 

Edited by Slyspy, 31 May 2018 - 08:44 AM.

Dosjer007 #3 Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:18 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 588 battles
Russki tanks do better in corridor maps.

JocMeister #4 Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:22 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21868 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

You forgot Fjords which is probably the worst map in the game right now.

Slyspy #5 Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:46 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14193 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostJocMeister, on 31 May 2018 - 10:22 AM, said:

You forgot Fjords which is probably the worst map in the game right now.

Again, a poor map continues to be poor. 

ThinGun #6 Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34084 battles

View PostTungstenHitman, on 31 May 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

...Paris, Mines, Mountain Pass, Abbey and Province are arguably worse maps? Was there ever any explanation given for the why they got rid of some maps, kept others and reintroduced previous fail maps like Province? Don't get me wrong I am not saying Swamp, Highway and Sacred Valley were great maps but they were actually far less limited than the others mentioned in the sense that you could actually cross over and back in many places and there were simply more options to mix things up a bit instead of these boring and limited 3 corridors with impassable buildings or mountains or lakes type of maps.

I was glad to see Wide Park go but even at that, could they not have kept that map for starter tiers? It wasn't a great map but it would have been fine for tier1-3 and so would Mines and any of the maps I mentioned, all fine for little pew pew tanks though I saw absolutely no reason Highway should have been removed and was fine for higher tiers imo, not the best but far less limited and dull than the mentioned along with the like of Fjords which is another "line up and wait" sort of map.

This new re-introduced map Province... I never played the original one but for me this is just not much options or else I am playing it wrong and I can accept I am not playing this map correctly but for now it just seems like two cannon ships showing each other the broadside and exchanging fire across a totally unusable central part of the map unless you have a fast light tank, race into some bushes in the middle of the map and basically go have a coffee because you can never shoot without being spotted and cut down immediately by all the campers. Some tanks race across north or south which is the only crossing obviously and then you have some messy, awkward but never fun fire fight with campers getting raged cheap shots from the other side for any gap between buildings... what would make it better, I don't know, maybe another player has spotted a cure lol.

I think you may be playing it wrong.  The original version was very much a camp-fest, great for TDs (I cut my teeth on that map with T2 TDs).  This new version very much favours an aggressive rush to the 'other side'.  And, I've done it in a Borsig...

tank276 #7 Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 48913 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostSlyspy, on 31 May 2018 - 07:41 AM, said:

The argument that because some other maps are poor it was wrong to get rid of some of other poor maps is not a good one.

Edit: However, the idea that some maps would be fine if restricted to lower tiers is sensible. WG are not. 

I didnt consider Highway to be a poor map,Swamp didnt like it at the start began to get used to it later.

Sacred Valley was no worse than Mountain Pass is today.

HundeWurst #8 Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:23 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 67756 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

Well it tells you a story how absolutly clueless the map-department is. How ABSOLUTLY clueless.

They reintroduce this completly and utterly failed map. Two weeks later they even admitted how bad of a joke that action was by them.

Someone should just fire every single person "working" on the current maps. Just get rid of these utterly incompetent "people" (Bad and or silly people would call them monkeys to begin with).

All the reworks and new maps are argueable total trash level. Frontline mode map is manageable, but far for perfect, but oh wait.... Was that map even designed by WG or some third party company?

E1: Even though swamp was not all that good, the map I actually semi enjoyed, in return please get rid of the cancer called Mines, or Erlenberg, or Fjords, or Paris, or Airfield. One worse than the other.

Edited by HundeWurst, 31 May 2018 - 11:24 AM.

humphrey10 #9 Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:29 AM

Private

• Player
  • 26155 battles

Hopefully WG plan is to slowly reintroduce these maps back into the game.. I can see why they couldn't turn all the maps into HD and once as that would have added an extra couple of months of development onto an already overdue 1.0.

Personally i think most of the 1.0 maps were made better except Erlenburg which went from one type of s*it to another type of s*it and Fjords as aforementioned

I just want them to bring Pearl River back :(

tank276 #10 Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:33 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 48913 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View Posthumphrey10, on 31 May 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

I just want them to bring Pearl River back :(

Or Hidden Village?

Simeon85 #11 Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:35 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 1097 battles

I'd presume Swamp and Highway were removed because of imbalances more than anything else and the map department didn't know what to do.

Swamp very much favoured the north team because of the G6/7 spot which if rushed could easily lead to a win for the north team.

Highway it was much much easier for the North team to defend their base, especially from a field push, due to all those ridges etc. Plus Highway suffered from the middle being generally useless which is common on many WOT maps (like Province).

I wasn't really sure why Kharkov was removed either, I mean it was a city map, but it at least had some flanking options a bit like Himmelsdorf, meaning it was far less restricted than say Abbey or Mountain Pass or Paris. 

Both Stalingrad and Kharkov are much better city maps than Paris IMO.

I don't mind Province, it needs some further tweaks but there are much worse maps out there like Mines, Abbey, Paris, Mountain Pass etc. 

etody77 #12 Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:39 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 61671 battles
  • [PT-RO] PT-RO

I am not saying Swamp, Highway and Sacred Valley were great maps but they were actually far less limited than the others mentioned in the sense that you could actually cross over and back in many places and there were simply more options to mix things up a bit 

thats hy

Edited by etody77, 31 May 2018 - 11:39 AM.

TungstenHitman #13 Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20724 battles

Well, I think FL proved(and I say lightly as I may be wrong) that the servers, the game mechanics and most players PC's can handle what was a ginormous sized map. Now, I am not suggesting maps should be that big and I personally prefer 15 vs 15 format and the slightly faster battles with more carry potential a 15 vs 15 offers BUT, now that it's proven(again I say this lightly) that we actually can play this game on a gigantic sized map, couldn't we just get these current maps in a bigger size, nothing ridiculous, maybe just 4 time as big?

I mean, even the really annoying and borderline unplayable maps like Mines, Airfield, Abbey etc etc if you are using light tanks or papery tanks would be actually ok maps if they were just one part of a map four times bigger.. in other words, the current map Mines, is just the lower left hand quarter of a map four times bigger where mid to higher tier tanks of all classes can really stretch their legs and go play some positive gameplay instead of hugging the side of hill in terror of being 1 shot by a Type5 or something? Those maps are just not big enough for higher tiers obviously so maybe for some of the maps mentioned it's not so much the map as it is the size where it's really bloody obvious where 30 tanks are going to engage and not really a surprise you encounter tanks where we encounter them... there just isn't anywhere else and if all the lakes and mountains and buildings were to be removed all that we would have would be one basic flat map with some slight hills and ruble offering workable places to trade some shots etc.. which.. would actually be more fun lol!!

So while there are definitely some maps that have no hope and just garbage regardless of size etc, is there maybe the argument that many of these maps would be cured simply by making them at least four times bigger or more? and just having the likes of Abbey or Mines as just a one quarter section of a bigger map?

DeadLecter #14 Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:57 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 19994 battles
What do you expect From a development team that thinks Defender, 268 V4, or obj 907 are balanced, arty in it's current way is perfect, a team that promised to not sell mutant but they did and did it more than once, and are about anounce another powercreep, Chimera? These people simply don't care about anything as long as they make money and honestly therest no other game to compete with them. So they enjoy it and do whatever they want

Rati_Festa #15 Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41501 battles
Could it be that wg are trying to keep Steve the IS driver happy? Most of the really bad maps paris and mines are built for heavies to slog it out. If the maps are bigger the lights and meds would be able to flank and vision control would become king..

Highway and swamp were a lot better than erlenberg, paris, mines and fjords. Ive grown to dislike airfield since 1.0 it now seems campier as well. Although I think more tds are in game currently due to flattening of maps.

Rati_Festa #16 Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41501 battles

View PostTungstenHitman, on 31 May 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

Well, I think FL proved(and I say lightly as I may be wrong) that the servers, the game mechanics and most players PC's can handle what was a ginormous sized map. Now, I am not suggesting maps should be that big and I personally prefer 15 vs 15 format and the slightly faster battles with more carry potential a 15 vs 15 offers BUT, now that it's proven(again I say this lightly) that we actually can play this game on a gigantic sized map, couldn't we just get these current maps in a bigger size, nothing ridiculous, maybe just 4 time as big?

It also proved heavy slow tanks wont be much use in big open maps.

etody77 #17 Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:06 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 61671 battles
  • [PT-RO] PT-RO

dragon ridge was nice

Sirebellus #18 Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18367 battles

Thing is all this is subjective, it depends upon your particular point of view.

For myself the worst two maps in 9pointwhatever were Fjords and Paris
However I actually quite like the new version of Fjords.

Paris obviously hasn't changed so is still the worst map, with the new Ehrlenberg a close second
I quite like Abbey in T1 and T2 tanks, it is a bit rubbish in higher tiers as is mines

Strangely I found myself getting nostalgic for Pilsen a couple of days ago...

Hamsterkicker #19 Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32986 battles

Strangely I found myself getting nostalgic for Pilsen a couple of days ago...

Next time leave that bottle of Becherovka alone..:P

But this whole argument simply boils down that to not make the game experience repetitive and boring we do not need more Object Whatever the F*Ks or Spaghetti tanks or special skins for tanks, we need more maps.. and different ones than we currently have available.

Balc0ra #20 Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64443 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

...Paris, Mines, Mountain Pass, Abbey and Province are arguably worse maps? 

Noo… I'll play Paris all day over Highway to name one. Swamp was terrible around the castle that most played badly. Even if they won it. The next step was to yolo the TD line and lose to that instead. Highway was just a lemming race 9 out 10 games. Nothing more. And south had a worse time getting back to base and town due to the hill if you had a slow HT that needed to reset. Thus they wanted to "fix" it. Highway was on my top 3 list of the worst and most imbalanced maps in the game. The other two on my list were permanently removed with patch 1.0. As in Pisen and Stalingrad. As the maps you mentioned all work better then those. Even Paris for my style anyway. 

Was there ever any explanation given for the why they got rid of some maps, kept others and reintroduced previous fail maps like Province? 

Highway and Swamp might come back... As when they announced it, it was due to them not getting HD maps in time. And if they can get those to work later fixing the issues they had. They might make a return. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 31 May 2018 - 01:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users