Need to some help with the Tiger(P)

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Seymmelb #1 Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:37 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 991 battles

Hi folks,

I've been grinding for the Tiger(P) for a bit now, unlocked it today and bought it, need some help on the play style of the tank, been doing fine when I've been top tier but once i get dumped into a game with tier 9 tanks I don't know what to do.

I haven't got many modules researched and have the 8,8 cm gun on it because I unlocked it from grinding through the VK 30.01 P, that gun can't do much to tier 9's and isn't very good with other heavies either, I wanna know what I can do so I can actually be useful when bottom tier and what modules I need to research first to be able to use the tank as well as possible in battles like this.

I'm ok with how to use this tank at top tier but wanna know some advice for bottom tier and being on a map that isn't great for this tank.

Thanks, Seymmelb

Balc0ra #2 Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:59 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 63325 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Short 88 is terrible on anything above tier 6. So if you have that and terrible mobility and a stock turret. It's not that much use regardless of how you play it. As there is nothing you can do to a Type 4 anyway. You could ofc go the med lane and try your luck there if you feel 100% useless on the HT line. 

So IMO, get the tracks, so you can mount the L71 gun, then get the turret. It's basically down to if you want to bounce shots on your enemy as well as yourself. Or pen the enemy and have them pen your turret. As going from 145 pen to 203 pen vs tier 8 targets even will make all the difference. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 31 May 2018 - 04:00 PM.

Seymmelb #3 Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:03 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 991 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 31 May 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:

Short 88 is terrible on anything above tier 6. So if you have that and terrible mobility and a stock turret. It's not that much use regardless of how you play it. As there is nothing you can do to a Type 4 anyway. You could ofc go the med lane and try your luck there if you feel 100% useless on the HT line. 

So IMO, get the tracks, so you can mount the L71 gun, then get the turret. It's basically down to if you want to bounce shots on your enemy as well as yourself. Or pen the enemy and have them pen your turret. As going from 145 pen to 203 pen vs tier 8 targets even will make all the difference. 

i have the tracks, so will get the gun and turret next, going down panther line anyway so we'll see how well i do in the meds

Suurpolskija #4 Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17586 battles
  • [URHO] URHO

I played it pretty much the same as Tiger l or VK45.03, but with a little bit more ballsy way because you actually do have some armor. Use your view range and good long 88. At least for me the armor was ok and I didn't really care that much for the claimed bad mobility. I found it's pretty much as fast as all those IS / KV-3 / T29 or whatnots, faster than O-Ni and Black Prince for sure.

I did well in it, hope you do, too. I had the privilege of having most of the top modules researched because I'm currently at E75 on the other line.

Nishi_Kinuyo #5 Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:49 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 7129 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

For the L/56 you're probably better off trying to shoot people's tracks so you'll at least get assist points.

Either that or shoot MTs and LTs.

Personally though, I played Warplanes to grind the free exp real quick so I could get both the track and the L/71.

That's some 24.5k free exp total.

But once you get that L/71, its pretty fun to play.

Edited by Nishi_Kinuyo, 31 May 2018 - 04:49 PM.

Balc0ra #6 Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:55 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 63325 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 31 May 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

Only thing I hate about the L/71 on the Tiger P is the ROF vs anything you face. I don't want it on Tiger levels. As in 5,5 seconds. But 6.5 ish would help vs the 7.5 to 8 seconds it has now vs alpha. 

Seymmelb #7 Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:57 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 991 battles

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 31 May 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

For the L/56 you're probably better off trying to shoot people's tracks so you'll at least get assist points.

Either that or shoot MTs and LTs.

Personally though, I played Warplanes to grind the free exp real quick so I could get both the track and the L/71.

That's some 24.5k free exp total.

getting closer to having the L/71, just need a bit more xp then i have it.

Isharial #8 Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:42 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18529 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

remember a few things:

1) weave around when travelling towards someone. your "cheeks" and driver port are weak points so keep them moving. wiggling like this does indeed help the armour work, though it might slow you down a little.

2) don't charge anything if its higher tier than you, the rof on the top gun is not going to help you out, more.. hinder you

3) it *can* snipe, use that, it *can* even scout because of the view range (even more so with bino's), going center on fishermans bay isn't as stupid as the nob in a medium spamming you to go town claims (not that you'd make it to town anyway if the enemy have half a brain cell and spot from center as it is..... )

4) carry some premium shells, 5-10 should do for when you inevitably end up against something higher tier than you that you know you cant pen, such as a Type4 or mauschen, though unlucky that you got into that spot in the first place :amazed:

5) never go alone. anywhere.

hopefully that helps?

Seymmelb #9 Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:46 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 991 battles

View PostIsharial, on 31 May 2018 - 05:42 PM, said:

remember a few things:

1) weave around when travelling towards someone. your "cheeks" and driver port are weak points so keep them moving. wiggling like this does indeed help the armour work, though it might slow you down a little.

2) don't charge anything if its higher tier than you, the rof on the top gun is not going to help you out, more.. hinder you

3) it *can* snipe, use that, it *can* even scout because of the view range (even more so with bino's), going center on fishermans bay isn't as stupid as the nob in a medium spamming you to go town claims (not that you'd make it to town anyway if the enemy have half a brain cell and spot from center as it is..... )

4) carry some premium shells, 5-10 should do for when you inevitably end up against something higher tier than you that you know you cant pen, such as a Type4 or mauschen, though unlucky that you got into that spot in the first place :amazed:

hopefully that helps?

that's very helpful, thanks.

Didn't think about weaving when heading towards an enemy, didn't think it was gonna help with anything.

shall try and use some of what you said in battle, should come in handy.

LordMuffin #10 Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 47010 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
Brumbarr advocated a usage of the short 88mm and plenty of premium ammo.

I used the long 88 and whined about abysmal armour and dpm while grinding and 3-marking it.

Seymmelb #11 Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:07 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 991 battles
I am getting to grips with how to angle the tank and how to get the best from the armour, just gotta get the big gun and i should be able to get good games in it.

Seymmelb #12 Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:09 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 991 battles

View PostLordMuffin, on 31 May 2018 - 06:06 PM, said:

I used the long 88 and whined about abysmal armour and dpm while grinding and 3-marking it.

I rarely use gold ammo because I only have enough credits to end up buying the next tank and kitting it up ready for battle, once I get myself a premium or two I will be able to get enough credits to use gold rounds on my tanks.

Tr0gledyte #13 Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18596 battles

As a bottom tier tank, play a support role. Not necesarily a sniper, you can also poke and shoot when an enemy has just fired. Make sure a higher tier tank is in front of you and support him.

As top tier, (please) carry your weight and be a frontline heavy tank. Don't snipe as a top tier, you will lose games. This goes for every heavy tank, even the paper ones. You need to be out there throwing the punches at the enemy as a top dog, even if you end up dying for it. I have pretty decent win ratios on most tanks but horrible survival ratios.

Edited by Tr0gledyte, 31 May 2018 - 06:17 PM.

Dr_ownape #14 Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:16 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 41040 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

View PostLordMuffin, on 31 May 2018 - 05:06 PM, said:

You kept it that long?? i managed 56 games at 1644 average damage. I think, although i cannot remember, that i enjoyed it.

edit: darn it, just realised i didn't bother unlocking the VK 45 :( suppose i will need to buy it back at some point. Now i see how you managed to 3 mark it

I would like to know why you would use any gun other than the L71

Edited by Dr_ownape, 31 May 2018 - 06:19 PM.

Seymmelb #15 Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:17 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 991 battles

View PostTr0gledyte, on 31 May 2018 - 06:13 PM, said:

As a bottom tier tank, play a support role. Not necesarily a sniper, you can also poke and shoot when an enemy has just fired. Make sure a higher tier tank is in front of you and support him.

As top tier, (please) carry your weight and be a frontline heavy tank. Don't snipe as a top tier, you will lose games. This goes for every heavy tank, even the paper ones. You need to be out there throwing the punches at the enemy as a top dog, even if you end up dying for it.

whenever I am top tier I am always on the frontline, just a pain in the backside when you get apcr rounds spammed into you but someone that can easily pen you.

LordMuffin #16 Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:18 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 47010 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostDr_ownape, on 31 May 2018 - 06:16 PM, said:

You kept it that long?? i managed 56 games at 1644 average damage. I think, although i cannot remember, that i enjoyed it.

The grind to vk168 and vk4502A and Ferdinand was way Longer then the 3 mark. 

And yes, I did grind it (though only in elite form)

Is the L71 the 145 pen gun?

In all seriousness,  I should have used that and plenty of premium ammo instead.

The long 88 have terrible aim time, accuracy and dpm.

Edited by LordMuffin, 31 May 2018 - 06:20 PM.

Tr0gledyte #17 Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18596 battles

View PostSeymmelb, on 31 May 2018 - 06:17 PM, said:

whenever I am top tier I am always on the frontline, just a pain in the backside when you get apcr rounds spammed into you but someone that can easily pen you.

Such is the life of a German heavy tank, sadly. But if you're not on the front you will definitely lose. Baiting shots from enemies and staying as much hulldown as possible can work.

Dr_ownape #18 Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:20 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 41040 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

View PostLordMuffin, on 31 May 2018 - 05:18 PM, said:

The grind to vk168 and vk4502A and Ferdinand was way Longer then the 3 mark. 

And yes, I did grind it (though only in elite form).

haha i realised there was more than just the VK to unoock once i looked at the tech tree so i edited my post....whilst you were writing this

Seymmelb #19 Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:21 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 991 battles

View PostTr0gledyte, on 31 May 2018 - 06:19 PM, said:

Such is the life of a German heavy tank, sadly. But if you're not on the front you will definitely lose. Baiting shots from enemies and staying as much hulldown as possible can work.

I've managed to get used to how to angle the armour, managing to bounce all sorts of rounds from loads of people, which is fun.

Nishi_Kinuyo #20 Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:41 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 7129 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostSeymmelb, on 31 May 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

View PostIsharial, on 31 May 2018 - 05:42 PM, said:

remember a few things:

hopefully that helps?

that's very helpful, thanks.

Didn't think about weaving when heading towards an enemy, didn't think it was gonna help with anything.

shall try and use some of what you said in battle, should come in handy.

Weaving always helps because:
1: you're making yourself harder to hit

2: you're making it harder for enemies to hit your weakspots

3: you randomly increase the effective armour on your front, making it harder for enemies to penetrate you

Also, can confirm that Porsche Tiger can scout:

Had an ace match recently (toptier) where I did something around 2.7k pure spotting along with a patrol duty medal.

LordMuffin

Is the L71 the 145 pen gun?

No, that's the L/56. Or the historical Tiger 8.8 cannon.

The L/71 is the one on the Tiger II.

Spoiler

Edited by Nishi_Kinuyo, 31 May 2018 - 06:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users