Arty isn't supposed to do a lot of damage?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

NOR_Leopard_2A7 #1 Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:03 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6555 battles

It's ok that they stun, I'm fine with that. But to get a full pen and do a high roll damage on a shot? Not really something that is supposed to happen, right?

Grand_Moff_Tano #2 Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:04 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 1534 battles
  • [BC28] BC28
Depends really on the size of gun, a 6" Artillery piece though wouldn't even need to pen the tank since the hit would probably knock the crew out and make the tank combat ineffective.

Edited by Grand_Moff_Tano, 31 May 2018 - 11:05 PM.

Enforcer1975 #3 Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20708 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Oh noes!!! Arty penned in like......once in a blue moon and now i'm entitled to cry on the forums about it.....you are doing more damage to your team per game than arty did to you that one time. 

Edited by Enforcer1975, 31 May 2018 - 11:15 PM.

Aikl #4 Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:17 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Basically a lucky combination of hitting your tank on the engine deck (presumably) and rolling high. It happens. Probably intentional that it can happen, despite the changes. I mean, might save someone from clicking his own head some day. 'Clicking' is open for interpretation. Perhaps it's clicking out of the game because artillery is hilariously unengaging. Perhaps not.

Anyway, I'm inclined to compare it to one-shot ammoracking a tank. That's not really fair either, and depending on RNG and tanks involved can indeed be an extremely lucky set of circumstances.

That being said, I recommend considering how certain parts of this game, SPGs included, have a very off-set relationship between risk and reward (rather than how they very occasionally oneshot tanks).

Edited by Aikl, 31 May 2018 - 11:19 PM.

Bulldog_Drummond #5 Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:19 PM

General

• Player
  • 28542 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostNOR_Leopard_2A7, on 31 May 2018 - 10:03 PM, said:

It's ok that they stun, I'm fine with that. But to get a full pen and do a high roll damage on a shot? Not really something that is supposed to happen, right?

OP - WN 8 371 (Bad) player with 46% win rate complains he got hit by arty.

Next.

Dundato #6 Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26188 battles
N1 arty

NOR_Leopard_2A7 #7 Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:21 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6555 battles
I've played quite a lot of arty and can't remember the last time I penned a shot. But the amount of times I've been hit and penned by an arty while playing a non-arty tank is more than I can count on one hand.

NOR_Leopard_2A7 #8 Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:22 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6555 battles

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 31 May 2018 - 11:19 PM, said:

OP - WN 8 371 (Bad) player with 46% win rate complains he got hit by arty.

Next.

Oh look, a statpadder that hides all match and sneaks out to take out only the weakest and most damaged tanks left in the game to please his clan mates :teethhappy:

Sirebellus #9 Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18382 battles
he did get hit by the Lorr 155 51 for only 52 points and the FV3805 for only 184... so averaging the 3 arty hits out it's only 468 per hit... that's not high rolls !

HeidenSieker #10 Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:33 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostNOR_Leopard_2A7, on 31 May 2018 - 11:03 PM, said:

So how often does it happen, with the halved penetration since 9.18, and how often is it combined with a high roll? Answer: not very often, but it can happen.

A question in return: How often do people start new SPG threads outside the sticky we're told to use?

Coldspell #11 Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:57 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18751 battles

British tanks are notorious for having terrible roof armour and for being large flat boxes....... the m40 is a high damage arty even post nerf its arc is also fairly high.

Flat roof low armour caern + m40 = if he hits anywhere but the UFP or the front half of the turret roof he is going to pen.

My guess the reason you are noticing a lot of pens is because you are driving brit tanks, they always suffered from being boxy terrible roof armour tanks but it is much more noticeable post arty nerf because they still get penned regularly. 

soul3ater #12 Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:09 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18673 battles

going full speed in tvp and the enemy arty conq took half of my health plus with some dead crews. 

it's a skill, not luck.

NOR_Leopard_2A7 #13 Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:36 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6555 battles

View PostColdspell, on 31 May 2018 - 11:57 PM, said:

British tanks are notorious for having terrible roof armour and for being large flat boxes....... the m40 is a high damage arty even post nerf its arc is also fairly high.

Flat roof low armour caern + m40 = if he hits anywhere but the UFP or the front half of the turret roof he is going to pen.

My guess the reason you are noticing a lot of pens is because you are driving brit tanks, they always suffered from being boxy terrible roof armour tanks but it is much more noticeable post arty nerf because they still get penned regularly. 

Thanks for your input, it makes more sense now.

Balc0ra #14 Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:44 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64443 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostNOR_Leopard_2A7, on 31 May 2018 - 11:03 PM, said:

If it was not supposed to happen. Their HE would have 1mm pen. 

View PostNOR_Leopard_2A7, on 31 May 2018 - 11:21 PM, said:

I've played quite a lot of arty and can't remember the last time I penned a shot. But the amount of times I've been hit and penned by an arty while playing a non-arty tank is more than I can count on one hand.

I'm currently grinding the tier 9 French arty. And no.. I don't see the 750 number often. But hitting the rear engine deck on a HT.. that can still happen. Just as it might roll 300 on a Borsig. Because he hit his gun and not the turret armor.  Then again.. your tank is not known for it's many sides of spaced armor or anything at an angle on the hull. It's a flat box. So a lucky it is all he needs. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 01 June 2018 - 12:46 AM.

Matcorr #15 Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:17 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22746 battles
Full penetration shots are really rare, I could get direct hits on Skorpions and FV4005's all day and only ever do around 400 damage a hit in my M53/M55.

TungstenHitman #16 Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:45 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20738 battles

It's the most broken class in the game by far, fact. Clicker defenders will add their usual horsecrap comments as they should in defense of their precious idiot proof zero risk zero experience needed class of tank but they are breaking the game and along with other idiot tanks like the Japanese heavies and Bobject etc I can say players were piszed off before, they are really piszed off on another level now. Games should be risk vs reward and experience vs inexperience. Risking more with educated and experienced pushes should rightfully be rewarded but with arty the opposite is true, the zero risk clueless redline idiot ends up defeating the experienced player that is risking so much more, is this fair? is this a game that sounds like fun? Because that's what's happening now more than ever before, to intolerable levels and though I can only speak for myself, I can see the threads, I can see the players leaving a lot lately and why wouldn't they? a clueless inexperienced noob risking nothing now bags High Calibers, massively influences the results of the battle has more of a say in the result than better players trying to play some positive and experienced pushes.

They same zero damage dork in another class of tank now features in the top 3 of most battles on the now much more arty friendly maps when using his SPG along with bagging a truck load of credits and for what? risking nothing and clicking on a map twice every minute from the redline safety not far from where he spawned... this is the power in this game, Jesus Christ WG wake the f*ck up already.

Who cares what I say though right? Just another moaner on about arty... well take this from my comment then as a solid warning with as creditable as it gets. Your game on Twitch, let's use Twitch as a measuring stick as to how popular and thriving and attractive your game has become, surely the top 5 most viewed online game right? top 10? top20??? top 30???? try the 58th most view online game lol, barely 2-5k views and that's when the most popular streamers are online, nobody gives a f*** about your bulls*** game anymore WG, do you get it? You finally pushed it to breaking point... I'm sure this game will keep on going and surviving regardless of what you do, but, to put things into perspective, the more popular games on Twitch have 80-150k+ audiences, so you can do the math surely, that's how less popular WoT has become. Last year WoT had a healthier fan base and audience but you know better right? Is it any surprise? To make matters worse, bad enough as arty is, the game gets even more unattractive at top tiers, how pathetic is that? you cant balance you cash cow premiums to compete against tier9 and 10 which in turn makes these same premium OP vs equal tier tanks so basically a players that has invested the hours, days, weeks, months to get to tier8, perhaps pays to transfer crew and pays for a premium account is reward with a tank that gets sh*t on most every since it can't compete with premium tier8 tanks and certainly not tier9 and 10 with a side order of "yay I got artied again!" and if they are made enough to suffer it out and get to tier 9 and 10, you spit in their faces still with Type 4 and 5 along with keeping the insults coming with Bobject TD I mean are you fokking serious WG? If this game fails to grow or even reduces to a small little playerbase don't you EVER doubt why that is.... morons honestly

TungstenHitman #17 Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:53 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20738 battles

Typical result sheet from this evening, regardless of being top tier, bottom tier, any tier. This is generally how battles look now, just in case WG are too busy counting money and having meetings on what the next money generation scamola should be, this is WoT right now. 4 of the 6 top damage and by a clear way were SPG, and on the enemy team the top players were all SPG, healthy damage for their tier, comfortably clear of their teammates. What you say? all those players with crappy results were terrible players? The 3 enemy SPG with the huge damage were crappy players too, 45% win rate crappy, that's the point isn't it. Broken a f** class

Balc0ra #18 Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:02 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64443 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostTungstenHitman, on 01 June 2018 - 01:53 AM, said:

The 3 enemy SPG with the huge damage were crappy players too, 45% win rate crappy, that's the point isn't it. Broken a f** class

Well... Those 3 were in the only SPG in the game that can use and spam HEAT. So a bit flawed showing that as an example of it if they used that. Go two tiers down and you will find the only SPG that can fire AP. Tho that one is a rare sight for it to matter. 

NOR_Leopard_2A7 #19 Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:40 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6555 battles
It's hard not to do reasonably well in an SPG, unless a YOLO LT gets all the way to your base and kills you before you can even fire your first shell. And I do agree with Tungsten, that people who risk going into the frontline should get rewarded more than those camping in the back, regardless of class or skill.

Renesco #20 Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:06 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 21224 battles
  • [SOBAD] SOBAD

View PostTungstenHitman, on 01 June 2018 - 01:53 AM, said:

Typical result sheet from this evening, regardless of being top tier, bottom tier, any tier. This is generally how battles look now, just in case WG are too busy counting money and having meetings on what the next money generation scamola should be, this is WoT right now. 4 of the 6 top damage and by a clear way were SPG, and on the enemy team the top players were all SPG, healthy damage for their tier, comfortably clear of their teammates. What you say? all those players with crappy results were terrible players? The 3 enemy SPG with the huge damage were crappy players too, 45% win rate crappy, that's the point isn't it. Broken a f** class

LefH is a special case though, it's OP as hell. I've gotten 10 kills and turned so many matches in the LefH that it makes the OBJ 268 v4 look balanced

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users