Pz.Sfl.IVb SPG

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Red_Legion1959 #1 Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:22 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1950 battles

Hi all,

I never posted anything on this forum, although i was reading it very often and gathering information and adjusting my play. I find it very helpful and i want to thank to active players who really help others.

I'm not some very good player, maybe not even good. My overall RW is almost 50% so i consider that average, just OK.

I almost never played arty (tried British but sucked badly) until recently i started with German line. I used free XP and skipped first one, played only 23 games on Wespe, and i liked it (just 43% WR but it was more training and getting into German SPG line)

Then i sold it and got Pz.Sfl.IVb. 

And ooooh my God...

With my crew at less than 90%, gun rammer, GLD and net in my recent 34 games i have astonishing 71% WR, 330 average damage i find this tank as a real gem.

Yes, i believe WR will drop since every arty heavily relies on a team and yes i was usually in good teams where everyone does it job properly, but still this early in my Pz.Sfl.IVb  carrier i find this SPG amazing.

Before this i was most often driving meds and lights, sometimes heavies and honestly hated arty. As i said i was an average player (had one account before with just over 3k of battles)  but maybe SPG's are my tanks or maybe this is some OP bastard everybody hates.

In your opinion, is Pz.Sfl.IVb really this good, what should i do to stay this good, and i would really appreciate some advice and opinions from more experienced  players.

Thanks, ;) cheers 

Orkbert #2 Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:19 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25498 battles

Well, as you wrote yourself, with a battle count that low the win rate is indeed not much of an indicator. A nice bonus but not much more.

That much said, the Pz.Sfl.IVb is the fastest reloading arty of the entire German SPG branch (I would say the SturmpanzerII is the better German tierIV SPG but I'm probably biased)

Just keep in mind that things will change drastically with the Grille.

Red_Legion1959 #3 Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:10 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1950 battles

View PostOrkbert, on 01 June 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

Well, as you wrote yourself, with a battle count that low the win rate is indeed not much of an indicator. A nice bonus but not much more.

That much said, the Pz.Sfl.IVb is the fastest reloading arty of the entire German SPG branch (I would say the SturmpanzerII is the better German tierIV SPG but I'm probably biased)

Just keep in mind that things will change drastically with the Grille.

Yes, i know 34 games is nothing and not something to judge for. But, i'm very impressed by this little thing. It does not hit hard but it reloads fast and hits many times.

You say Grille is worse than Pz.Sfl.IVb?

Well i was hit by that bastard so many times in other tanks... 

Orkbert #4 Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:23 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25498 battles

View PostRed_Legion1959, on 01 June 2018 - 02:10 PM, said:

You say Grille is worse than Pz.Sfl.IVb?

No, of course not, it is just different and many people have difficulties getting accustomed to its narrow horizontal traverse arc after having enjoyed the pseudo-turret of the PzSflVIb.

Red_Legion1959 #5 Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:41 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1950 battles

View PostOrkbert, on 01 June 2018 - 02:23 PM, said:

No, of course not, it is just different and many people have difficulties getting accustomed to its narrow horizontal traverse arc after having enjoyed the pseudo-turret of the PzSflVIb.

So I guess taking position uphill should help?

Darth_Clicker #6 Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:44 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 53793 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View PostRed_Legion1959, on 01 June 2018 - 03:41 PM, said:

So I guess taking position uphill should help?

Horizontal Traverse is the arc the gun can move from left to right without the arty hull having to turn....the up and down, or vertical arc is called shell trajectory.  The Grille has a very narrow Horizontal Traverse arc, so when you re-aim more than a small amount either left or right, the hull will turn and therefore causing the gun to have to be reaimed.  But, the Grille is definitely a favorite of mine.  Super arty at tier 5 in my opinon.

Edited by Darth_Clicker, 01 June 2018 - 05:47 PM.

Red_Legion1959 #7 Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:57 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1950 battles

View PostDarth_Clicker, on 01 June 2018 - 05:44 PM, said:

Horizontal Traverse is the arc the gun can move from left to right without the arty hull having to turn....the up and down, or vertical arc is called shell trajectory.  The Grille has a very narrow Horizontal Traverse arc, so when you re-aim more than a small amount either left or right, the hull will turn and therefore causing the gun to have to be reaimed.  But, the Grille is definitely a favorite of mine.  Super arty at tier 5 in my opinon.

Oh yes, horiztontal :)

Red_Legion1959 #8 Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:59 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1950 battles

Now I have 132 matches behind me in this thing and as i expected my WR dropped to 57%. Reason is i had terrible string of matches where complete team goes to one side and as usual it's over very soon. I also had matches with results 3-15, 4-15 or 5-15 at best. I think reason is lower tier tanks often means people who are very new in this game and they simply don't know what to do and we all know how much arty relies to team play...

But, i increased my average damage per battle to 400+, played some very strong battles with 1000+ dmg, 4-5 kills (never 6 yet) . My record in Pz.Sfl.IVb is 1204, got M medal and high caliber too. Crew is not yet 100% (only commander is 99%, others are more) and i can't train any skills yet.

I used all free XP to fully research Grille with all modules, but i don't want to buy it yet since i will take this crew to Grille after i get some skills in Pz.Sfl.IVb with them.

I still believe Pz.Sfl.IVb is very, very good arty and i strongly recommend it to everyone.

I will continue to play Pz.Sfl.IVb more since i really like it, only bad thing is sometimes i have to play tier 3 battles and those can go any way you want, from excellent to terrible.

Edited by Red_Legion1959, 06 June 2018 - 08:00 AM.

Orkbert #9 Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:45 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25498 battles

View PostRed_Legion1959, on 06 June 2018 - 07:59 AM, said:

Now I have 132 matches behind me in this thing and as i expected my WR dropped to 57%. Reason is i had terrible string of matches where complete team goes to one side and as usual it's over very soon. I also had matches with results 3-15, 4-15 or 5-15 at best. I think reason is lower tier tanks often means people who are very new in this game and they simply don't know what to do and we all know how much arty relies to team play...

Well, as I already said, with so few battles the win rate isn't all that meaningful (and keeping up a win rate of 70% with an arty would most likely be impossible in the long run anyways)

Even with ~130 matches the win rate with your PzsflIVb is barely starting to be an indicator (though of course it is always good to come from >50%). IMHO it takes at least 300~400 battles on a specific tank to have its win rate somewhat consolidated, and even then...

For example when I had around 500 battles with my GW Panther my win rate was a herpderpy 45.6% or something like that (GWP had been my very first tierVII tank when I was still rather new to the game, so no wonder). Now with ~800 battles it is up to 48.8% and by and large still rising, basically I'm still getting weaned off my old noob mistakes I did back then.

Block Quote

I will continue to play Pz.Sfl.IVb more since i really like it, only bad thing is sometimes i have to play tier 3 battles and those can go any way you want, from excellent to terrible.

Yes! Another one that has noticed that being matched as top tier is not necessarily beneficial for arty. While this is indeed especially visible at the low tiers it basically holds true through all other levels as well.

You are a promising SPG youngling, I sense a great future before you (cue some Star Wars quotes here but I guess Darth_Clicker would be more appropriate for that) ;)

emmekus #10 Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:56 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2249 battles
Hello mate. Instead of  Pz.Sfl.IVb, I have sturmpanzer 2. These vehicles is sitting on different approaches about matters of artillery.

Bordhaw #11 Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:52 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 11543 battles

View PostRed_Legion1959, on 06 June 2018 - 06:59 AM, said:

But, i increased my average damage per battle to 400+, played some very strong battles with 1000+ dmg, 4-5 kills (never 6 yet) . My record in Pz.Sfl.IVb is 1204, got M medal and high caliber too. Crew is not yet 100% (only commander is 99%, others are more) and i can't train any skills yet.

I used all free XP to fully research Grille with all modules, but i don't want to buy it yet since i will take this crew to Grille after i get some skills in Pz.Sfl.IVb with them.

I still believe Pz.Sfl.IVb is very, very good arty and i strongly recommend it to everyone.

Yes the Pz.Sfl.IVb is fun but it doesnt do splash damage. Whereas the Grille does so there is another mechanic to learn and use. 

Also tagged with Pz.Sfl.IVb, SPG

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users