I have a bone to pick with you WG

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Agera1993 #1 Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:27 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8491 battles

Before I begin this rant, you must first know that I am a player based in South Africa (this detail becomes relevant in a moment!)... Now many years ago back in 2011, I decided to create a WOT account and give the game a try. Upon accessing WG's website, a popup recommended that I go to the American region website as it was "optimized for users from South Africa" and so I took this expert advice and signed up on NA. Now being young and naive at the time, I was not aware of ping, latency and all these crucial factors which have a massive impact on user experience when playing online. Anyways, I racked up ~9k games over the next couple of years playing at a constant 310-340ms ping. Eventually a few years later I began to understand a little bit more about latency and server location as I played other online games. Then it hit me... Why the hell am I playing WOT on an American server when, geographically, Europe is MUCH closer to my country which should give me better ping right? Needless to say I signed up for an EU account and gameplay was like night and day - 180ms ping. This might not sound like much of an improvement, but I trust those who read this will take my word for it, the game was (and still is) so much more enjoyable. 

I spent money and put in hundreds of hours on my NA account, oblivious to how much of a better experience I could have been having on the EU server, but instead I took WG's advice as I did not know any better at the time. I did contact support back then asking if it was possible to migrate my NA account to which they responded: "We are currently working on a migration feature which should be available in the near future." - that never happened. I have friends (also based in South Africa) who currently still play on NA as they aren't willing to restart all their grinds and lose items they spent money on. They have told me that they would gladly pay to have their accounts migrated. I find it disgusting that to this day, WG's website STILL refers users from South Africa to the American region website. That's 7 years of falsely advising thousands of players to a 'better experience'. Please WG, remove this popup from your website and provide the affected users with the opportunity to migrate their accounts. It's the right thing to do.

I've attached a pic of the current popup, the wording has changed since back in 2011 but still has pretty much the same effect.

Attached Files

• Attached File   BS.PNG   245.78K

Edited by Agera1993, 01 June 2018 - 02:32 PM.

Homer_J #2 Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:29 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27270 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

When the NA server finally gets unsustainable you will probably get your option to migrate.....

....to the SEA server. :trollface:

DaMP13R #3 Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:36 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 36602 battles
  • [L7] L7

View PostAgera1993, on 01 June 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

Please WG, It's the right thing to do.

Many hours went into this:

Posted Image

Enforcer1975 #4 Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:13 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 18986 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

There's a free app called brain.exe 

Always question everything you see on the internet. Every kid and their dog already knew back then that it's better to be closer to the server you are playing on.....when in doubt check it out. 

gunslingerXXX #5 Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:15 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10127 battles
Sucks man, good luck

Edited by gunslingerXXX, 01 June 2018 - 03:16 PM.

_Sensation_ #6 Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:18 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6237 battles
  • [OMNI] OMNI

View PostDaMP13R, on 01 June 2018 - 02:36 PM, said:

Many hours went into this:

Posted Image

:medal:

wsatnutter #7 Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:31 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 24105 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
tbh I hate whiners but you OP have a valid point good luck with it btw any pics of south African sprouts ?

Balc0ra #8 Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:36 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 63369 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Well considering where you live, it's not easy for WG to recommend anything. And they did not recommend playing on the NA server as such. They simply asked if you wanted to use their NA or EU portal. As you are.. between regions. As they said the website is optimized for the EU region, not the server or it's ping. It's mostly with tank pricing etc. As even that differs between servers based on region "wealth". 

But... NA has merged and moved servers since then. Making the ping worse I suspect as they have one central one now, not an east & west server. But since then they also made a South American server. Or the Latino server as NA calls it. I suspect that's better or equal to you vs EU anyway. As it's located in Argentina near the south Uruguay border. More or less the same distance as the EU servers by air anyway.  NA had plans to offer transfers to other servers due to the server merger on NA making it worse for some. As Australian NA players were moved to the SEA server on their own server there. But NA claims EU has not setup for account transfers yet to take NA accounts for some reason. So some NA players that want to go to EU have not gotten the same offer yet. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 01 June 2018 - 03:40 PM.

Enforcer1975 #9 Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:42 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 18986 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postwsatnutter, on 01 June 2018 - 03:31 PM, said:

tbh I hate whiners but you OP have a valid point good luck with it btw any pics of south African sprouts ?

https://www.gardenat...sprouts?zone=21

Element6_TheSprout #10 Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:48 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28638 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I hereby propose this forum gets it's own equvalent to Godwin's Law, only that it relates to sprouts instead of AH.

Wsat's Law/Rule? 

Agera1993 #11 Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:03 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8491 battles

View PostEnforcer1975, on 01 June 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

Every kid and their dog already knew back then that it's better to be closer to the server you are playing on.....when in doubt check it out. 

Let me paint you a picture quickly... in 2007, our household still had DIALUP. We only got our first 0.5Mbps ADSL line the following year, which was capped at 1GB per month and each 1GB topup thereafter cost the equivalent of about ~10 Euro. So no, not I nor my dog had any knowledge about server ping and whatnot as online gaming was simply far too expensive. If I remember correctly, we moved to an uncapped 1Mbps package in late 2010 which made it possible for me to play online (barely). So up until then - while you were fragging noobs all over the world - we were still lugging around our PC's to LAN at each other's houses. Consider yourself fortunate to have had access to a good internet infrastructure where you could learn how server location affects ping and such in online gaming.

Thanks man, uhhh not too sure what you mean by sprouts :D

wsatnutter #12 Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:13 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 24105 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostAgera1993, on 01 June 2018 - 04:03 PM, said:

Let me paint you a picture quickly... in 2007, our household still had DIALUP. We only got our first 0.5Mbps ADSL line the following year, which was capped at 1GB per month and each 1GB topup thereafter cost the equivalent of about ~10 Euro. So no, not I nor my dog had any knowledge about server ping and whatnot as online gaming was simply far too expensive. If I remember correctly, we moved to an uncapped 1Mbps package in late 2010 which made it possible for me to play online (barely). So up until then - while you were fragging noobs all over the world - we were still lugging around our PC's to LAN at each other's houses. Consider yourself fortunate to have had access to a good internet infrastructure where you could learn how server location affects ping and such in online gaming.

Thanks man, uhhh not too sure what you mean by sprouts :D

brussel sprouts man those little succulent cabbages drenched in bacon bits and chillie oil served with roast beef or anything you care to mix it with

jabster #13 Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:22 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12516 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostElement6_TheSprout, on 01 June 2018 - 03:48 PM, said:

I hereby propose this forum gets it's own equvalent to Godwin's Law, only that it relates to sprouts instead of AH.

Wsat's Law/Rule? 

I beleive it would have to be the BattleMetalChris law.

Element6_TheSprout #14 Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:27 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28638 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postjabster, on 01 June 2018 - 05:22 PM, said:

I beleive it would have to be the BattleMetalChris law.

Apparently I do not know the full history of sprouts and WoT forums, is he the one who started the trend?

jabster #15 Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:30 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12516 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostElement6_TheSprout, on 01 June 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

Apparently I do not know the full history of sprouts and WoT forums, is he the one who started the trend?

Only those how’ve reached a certainly level of enlightenment (money to nutter helps) are allowed to access the inner secrets.

Corruption_Clan #16 Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:51 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 44709 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

Or you could go tell all those African countries to stop fighting IRL and start playing PC games instead, so you can have your own server for AFRIKA!!

The above is move likely to happen then you being able to transfer...

Agera1993 #17 Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:02 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8491 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 01 June 2018 - 03:36 PM, said:

...And they did not recommend playing on the NA server as such. They simply asked if you wanted to use their NA or EU portal. As you are.. between regions. As they said the website is optimized for the EU region.

Wrong. As I said in my original post, the wording on that popup has changed since then. Back in 2011 the popup did not "simply" ask if you wanted to use NA or EU portal in a neutral manner. The wording highly recommended using the American portal as it was optimized for players from South Africa.

View PostBalc0ra, on 01 June 2018 - 03:36 PM, said:

...the Latino server as NA calls it. I suspect that's better or equal to you vs EU anyway. As it's located in Argentina near the south Uruguay border. More or less the same distance as the EU servers by air anyway.

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. While direct air distance might be shorter, doing a trace-route reveals that packets are still routed through the EU before it reaches the LATAM server - a whopping ~438ms just in case you were curious.

Edited by Agera1993, 01 June 2018 - 10:02 PM.

Bobik72 #18 Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:05 PM

Private

• Player
  • 54136 battles
  • [LAAX] LAAX

*edited*

This post has been edited by the moderation team due to the violation of rule 4

Edited by zebra4lol, 02 June 2018 - 09:22 AM.

Homer_J #19 Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:30 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27270 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBobik72, on 01 June 2018 - 10:05 PM, said:

rant rant rant rant rant

53726 battles :sceptic:

Ferditude #20 Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:50 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 862 battles

View PostAgera1993, on 01 June 2018 - 02:27 PM, said:

Before I begin this rant, you must first know that I am a player based in South Africa (this detail becomes relevant in a moment!)... Now many years ago back in 2011, I decided to create a WOT account and give the game a try. Upon accessing WG's website, a popup recommended that I go to the American region website as it was "optimized for users from South Africa" and so I took this expert advice and signed up on NA. Now being young and naive at the time, I was not aware of ping, latency and all these crucial factors which have a massive impact on user experience when playing online. Anyways, I racked up ~9k games over the next couple of years playing at a constant 310-340ms ping. Eventually a few years later I began to understand a little bit more about latency and server location as I played other online games. Then it hit me... Why the hell am I playing WOT on an American server when, geographically, Europe is MUCH closer to my country which should give me better ping right? Needless to say I signed up for an EU account and gameplay was like night and day - 180ms ping. This might not sound like much of an improvement, but I trust those who read this will take my word for it, the game was (and still is) so much more enjoyable. 

I spent money and put in hundreds of hours on my NA account, oblivious to how much of a better experience I could have been having on the EU server, but instead I took WG's advice as I did not know any better at the time. I did contact support back then asking if it was possible to migrate my NA account to which they responded: "We are currently working on a migration feature which should be available in the near future." - that never happened. I have friends (also based in South Africa) who currently still play on NA as they aren't willing to restart all their grinds and lose items they spent money on. They have told me that they would gladly pay to have their accounts migrated. I find it disgusting that to this day, WG's website STILL refers users from South Africa to the American region website. That's 7 years of falsely advising thousands of players to a 'better experience'. Please WG, remove this popup from your website and provide the affected users with the opportunity to migrate their accounts. It's the right thing to do.

I've attached a pic of the current popup, the wording has changed since back in 2011 but still has pretty much the same effect.

Hope u get a solution you're happy with. 

Wonder if we will drop na server if the players get too low? 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users