Why are so many TD missions just for snipers?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

DutchBaron_ #1 Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:47 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9662 battles
  • [FDAD] FDAD
A lot of the TD missions are like only for snipers ( remain unspotted, remain undamaged, damage from 300m etc). I would say only like a third of the high tier TD's are real snipers, something like a third are assault TD's and a third in between those two. But most of the missions just focus on the snipers. I really hate passive play, and sniping, I mostly play assault TD's like a jagdtiger but I am never getting missions done in it. Should the missions be one focused on damage and so include all TD's and not just the snipers?

Homer_J #2 Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:59 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27270 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Most of the TD missions I have completed were done in the ISU line, hardly known for their sniping.

Dava_117 #3 Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:00 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17823 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

View PostDutchBaron_, on 02 June 2018 - 11:47 AM, said:

A lot of the TD missions are like only for snipers ( remain unspotted, remain undamaged, damage from 300m etc). I would say only like a third of the high tier TD's are real snipers, something like a third are assault TD's and a third in between those two. But most of the missions just focus on the snipers. I really hate passive play, and sniping, I mostly play assault TD's like a jagdtiger but I am never getting missions done in it. Should the missions be one focused on damage and so include all TD's and not just the snipers?

I agree. Some of the mission should be also connected to other TD roles. Like remove 1/10 of enemy HPs in the first 5 minutes of game or take down an enemy top tier HT while being mid tier or bottom tier. It's like WG itself is promoting the "I'm TD, must camp" mindest...

Aikl #4 Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:01 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25150 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
Missions are tailored to the players rather than the vehicles, I guess.

Even the heaviest assault TDs are prone to be "abused" as redline snipers. Because "lul amma tee dee". Oh, and because it's generally the most effective play available, let's face it.

Dava_117 #5 Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:05 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17823 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

View PostAikl, on 02 June 2018 - 12:01 PM, said:

Missions are tailored to the players rather than the vehicles, I guess.

Even the heaviest assault TDs are prone to be "abused" as redline snipers. Because "lul amma tee dee". Oh, and because it's generally the most effective play available, let's face it.

Unfortunately true. If only WG put the stronger position in the central part of the map instead near bases so team should actually fight to get them and gain an advantage over the enemy...

ThinGun #6 Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 33236 battles
One mission should be 'remain calm and don't respond when a tomato scout pings you incessantly and screams 'CAMPER NOOB' repeatedly in chat'.  I'd pass that one practically every game I play.

azakow #7 Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:19 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 74457 battles

View PostDutchBaron_, on 02 June 2018 - 11:47 AM, said:

I wonder where all this knowledge comes from.

8,460/9,610 matches on GER

1.8k in TD

I am no expert at TDing.

I am mostly TDing on GER aswell.

I completed 43/45 PM with honors.

It can't be that hard.

In my opinon, the largest portion of the problem resides at your keyboard.

:)

Orkbert #8 Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:19 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24894 battles

At least they could theoretically pass the sniper missions (always staying beyond 445m from all enemies and so)

Now most arty missions require the arty to stun the enemy, get stun assist, etc.

So those mid-tier SPGs that don't have the stunning mechanism can't even theoretically make those missions.

DutchBaron_ #9 Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:29 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9662 battles
  • [FDAD] FDAD

View Postazakow, on 02 June 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

I wonder where all this knowledge comes from.

8,460/9,610 matches on GER

1.8k in TD

I am no expert at TDing.

I am mostly TDing on GER aswell.

I completed 43/45 PM with honors.

It can't be that hard.

In my opinon, the largest portion of the problem resides at your keyboard.

:)

Still there is a difference for with td line you chose, I am mostly playing the jagero line with I play as second line support or first line assault. I hate sniping from the back. just for the sake of sniping missions I have the St Emil now. But yeah I am not that good in TD's in general, I like my turrets :)

azakow #10 Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:49 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 74457 battles

View PostDutchBaron_, on 02 June 2018 - 12:29 PM, said:

Still there is a difference for with td line you chose, I am mostly playing the jagero line with I play as second line support or first line assault. I hate sniping from the back. just for the sake of sniping missions I have the St Emil now. But yeah I am not that good in TD's in general, I like my turrets :)

... but elaborating on mission content and proposing changes.

:confused:

DutchBaron_ #11 Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:57 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9662 battles
  • [FDAD] FDAD

View Postazakow, on 02 June 2018 - 12:49 PM, said:

... but elaborating on mission content and proposing changes.

:confused:

Still the fact stands that the missions don't represent the class well, TD's are a lot more versatile than just sitting in the back sniping that a lot of missions want you to do

Gremlin182 #12 Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:02 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 45620 battles

I am just happy if they weed out the missions that lead to selfish play or are counter to actually winning the battle.

Hopefully the next series of Personal missions will be much improved.

The current ones have led to me having a lot of TDs at all levels so I can choose those best suite.

If the mission does not require high damage you can do them much easier in a low tier even the lowest tier allowed by the mission.

Its probably why I keep some tanks at low and mid tiers even if I have worked up the line to much higher tanks

I found doing one mission was a lot easier with an SU100 than any other TD you had to do 4 times your hit points.

Doing that in a low tier TD with a 390 damage gun makes sense the SU100 has 580 hit points so I have to do 2320 damage.

Trying the same mission in my OBJ263 I would have to do 7200.

You do occasionally run into the problem of not enough hit points in the enemy team but thanks to 3 5 7 its not a problem very often.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #13 Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:03 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26759 battles

View PostDutchBaron_, on 02 June 2018 - 12:57 PM, said:

Still the fact stands that the missions don't represent the class well, TD's are a lot more versatile than just sitting in the back sniping that a lot of missions want you to do

WG has to come up with missions that everyone can do tho or people whine. Everyone can snipe, not everyone even has an assault TD tho. Good luck assaulting a defended position with a Borsig.

azakow #14 Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:09 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 74457 battles

View PostDutchBaron_, on 02 June 2018 - 12:57 PM, said:

Please provide some facts on missions that do not represent that class well, like in

• z/15 in StugIV
  • k/15 in T28
  • x/15 in T-55
  • y/15 in Obj 260

Thank you.

Edited by azakow, 02 June 2018 - 01:11 PM.

DutchBaron_ #15 Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:25 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9662 battles
  • [FDAD] FDAD

for the stug IV:

TD-4 kill while remaining unspotted

TD-5 damage from 300+ meter 

TD-6 damage from 250+ meter

TD-7 kill wiithout recieving damage

TD-10 1k damage remaining unspotted

T28 HTC

TD-4 2 kills while remaining unspotted

TD-5 kill from 300+ meters

TD-6 1k damage 250+ meters

TD-7 2 kills without recieving damage

TD-10 2k damage remaining unspotted

T55a

TD-4 3kills while remaining unspotted

TD-5 2 kills from 300+ meters

TD-6 2k damage 250+ meters

TD-7 3 kills without recieving damage

TD-10 3k damage remaining unspotted

Object 260

TD-4 4kills while remaining unspotted

TD-5 3 kills from 300+ meters

TD-6 3k damage 250+ meters

TD-7 4 kills without recieving damage

TD-10 4k damage remaining unspotted

while some of those missions are possible in assault TD's (essacialy the stug and the T28 ones), they all favor the sniping TD's. especially the remaining unspotted are nearly impossible with assualt TD's

azakow #16 Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:57 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 74457 battles

You like GER only.

You like the JT.

You like being at the front.

You like the personal misssions to be changed according to suite your needs. The term personal has a different meaning here.

How does the 0.33 accuracy of the JT fit into your picture of being not represented?

DutchBaron_ #17 Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:11 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9662 battles
  • [FDAD] FDAD

View Postazakow, on 02 June 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

You like GER only.

You like the JT.

You like being at the front.

You like the personal misssions to be changed according to suite your needs. The term personal has a different meaning here.

How does the 0.33 accuracy of the JT fit into your picture of being not represented?

I like personal missions to be changed to suit all TD's not just a select few who can snipe. And on the case of the JT, if you want to get an unspotted mission done in the JT, you have to sit 450+ meters from the enemy since it is as big as an house and got no camo, doesn't seem like an strategy that will win you games or does it? A lot of TD's need to be at the front to be effective, then it's stupid that you can't get mission done by playing your assault TD correctly

250swb #18 Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:21 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21144 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I think the term 'assault TD's' is being used with some bravado by the OP. It is only the very top tier German TD's that may vaguely warrant that name, and even then how aggressive can they be before being double tracked and outflanked? Nobody looks like they've got big balls after being shot in the [edited]. The TD missions are pretty straight forward but require delicacy and thought, not bombastic 'I'm not a sniper' declarations. 

The best way to approach this is to think of TD's as the intellectual branch of the game. So preparation is key, grind great crews, get a great camo rating, and then use them, use your tank as it is meant to be used and you can't go wrong. It doesn't mean hanging back in a battle, but it does mean knowing when and where to go forward. What many 'aggressive' medium tank players fail to appreciate is that TDs are much more vulnerable to arty once spotted, the vehicle dynamics in all but a few cases mitigate against fast retreats. So don't play it like a medium tank, be more cautious. Concentrate your game on positions where you just simply pump damage, and not where you feel tempted to try fancy outflanking moves. Yes you do need to be brave, but not reckless. That is the simple way to end the battle with a win and at the top of the teams score sheet, and you can't beat being at the top, even if you needed to snipe to do it.

If you do want a branch to be 'bully' in the face of enemy tanks it's the Russian line that ends in the infamous 268v4. From tier VII and up they can take a more aggressive style when necessary.

Edited by 250swb, 02 June 2018 - 06:26 PM.

DutchBaron_ #19 Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:32 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9662 battles
  • [FDAD] FDAD
still a lot of the missions pretty much exclude a lot of TD's. Sure the TD's might be the most ittelctual brach in the game if you think so but the missions just promote one dimensional gameplay of just sniping. I dont want the missions to be changed so that they are for assault TD's i want them to focus more on damage and kills, things that help your team, not the remain unspotted while getting x kills or the get x kills over x meters missions we now have.

DracheimFlug #20 Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:18 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 8953 battles

View PostDutchBaron_, on 02 June 2018 - 06:32 PM, said:

still a lot of the missions pretty much exclude a lot of TD's. Sure the TD's might be the most ittelctual brach in the game if you think so but the missions just promote one dimensional gameplay of just sniping. I dont want the missions to be changed so that they are for assault TD's i want them to focus more on damage and kills, things that help your team, not the remain unspotted while getting x kills or the get x kills over x meters missions we now have.

I just looked at them again. Only about a third of them require either being at range or being unspotted. You call the Jagdtiger an assault TD, but that the portion of that line that saw actual service during the war (including the Jagdtiger) were snipers. The main Soviet TD line were assault guns that were used for AT duty. 

Standard German TD doctrine was to set up with concealment, either around the corner in a forest, or from inside a tree line, or concealed in buildings (ideally on the top of a hill). Germans had a separate assault gun line: Stuh 42 (Pz III chassis), Brummbar (Pz IV chassis), Sturmiger (Tiger chassis). There was a proposed Sturmpanther, but it never saw production.

Basically you seem to want the TD missions to be a duplicate set of Heavy missions.... does not make a lot of sense.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users