Brit Turreted TD Line Q

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 02 June 2018 - 04:57 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 19286 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

Thinking of grinding this line but my question is this, I can fee xp my way to probably tier4 or 5 but which path is less painful and more fun, via the medium tanks or via a TDs? I kind of like medium tanks but that said I like TDs too, which is the more effective tank line to gain more xp per battle on average also? Do I take the Sherman line or the Archer line? Answers from those that genuinely know about these tanks would be appreciated rather and what can I expect from the tier7, 8 and 9 turreted TDs?

Thanks.

Jamadeus #2 Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:01 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16870 battles
  • [LOC-X] LOC-X
Firefly. That is all.

Dr_ownape #3 Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:07 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 41103 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

I can recall selling the..?? hang on, achilles before the challenger got buffed as it was horrible and TBH the whole line looked weak. However when they buffed the challenger i decided to rebuy it and finished it quickly (assume i used free exp as only played 45 games in it).

Then got the challenger and it's awful. I mean no one should bother playing this tank ever ever again, it's crappy gun, crappy VR, crappy speed, seriously peeps don't bother.

or i might want to retain my no1 spot and 100% MoE stats

:trollface:

Edited by Dr_ownape, 02 June 2018 - 05:09 PM.

Dava_117 #4 Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:12 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17855 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

Up to Valentine ATM... just researched the Archer, but still need to research the bishop before selling this crappy tank. It's just a worst AMX40 that trade a working armour and DPM for more pen.

Go for the med, so you don't have to suffer this tank too...

Balc0ra #5 Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:13 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 63409 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Depends on your style. Sherman III is kinda like the US M4. But with a bit more DPM if you run non derp. So I actually did keep that round. Firefly is a good support med if you like those. But like the AC4, it's not a very flexible tier 6 med. It can do one role and one role only. Anything gets too close, like a Cromwell. You will struggle. 

Archer is the one you have to drive in reverse. Might take some getting used to, and some hate that aspect alone with it. But once it's in position and you can let that ROF and 171 pen work. It's rather good IMO. But like the Firefly, it only does the one job good. But it does it better then most. I've never had issues farming lots o damage in +2 games in that thing. Achilles is more flexible then the Firefly, same gun, more DPM, faster, more camo etc. The gun depression is terrible on it, but it stil works. It's even a great passive scout in +2 games. As that's how I aced it more then once. 

So for me.. I would got with the Achilles. I was no fan of the Firefly in this game. That and the XP for the Challenger is lower on the Achilles, and the module grind is easier on it. As you get the top gun for the tier 6 on the Archer, you don't do that on the med line. So the tier 6 grind will be better right off the bat if you save enough free xp for the turret so you can use the gun right away. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 02 June 2018 - 05:15 PM.

Homer_J #6 Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:18 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27288 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I stopped at the Firefly for a long time then when the buffed tier 7 went on CT I bought it to bank enough exp to unlock the new top gun.  I didn't mind it with either gun really, not sure it even needed the buff.

Struggling with the tier 8 results wise but it actually feels OK playing, could just be a run of bad luck and a low number of battles.

VarzA #7 Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17916 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

View PostTungstenHitman, on 02 June 2018 - 04:57 PM, said:

Thinking of grinding this line but my question is this, I can fee xp my way to probably tier4 or 5 but which path is less painful and more fun, via the medium tanks or via a TDs? I kind of like medium tanks but that said I like TDs too, which is the more effective tank line to gain more xp per battle on average also? Do I take the Sherman line or the Archer line? Answers from those that genuinely know about these tanks would be appreciated rather and what can I expect from the tier7, 8 and 9 turreted TDs?

Thanks.

I went down the TD line, mostly because i think the Achilles will rock.

Atm suffering with the Archer.

etody77 #8 Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 61219 battles
  • [PT-RO] PT-RO

only good thing that Td have is penetration for HE shells

but birtish meds are good

choose them 

TungstenHitman #9 Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:27 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 19286 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV
Well is it worth bothering with at all so? My main interest was the tier8 which is basically a Cromwell derived tank so it has that nice quick mobility and camo but with a viscous looking top gun and the tier8 has, with a decent crew and rammer etc. about 4k dpm with the stock which just reads amazing on paper to me with the massive bonus of a turret of course. Am I wrong about my positive interpretation of both those TDs? I mean, if you tell me right now they suck and there's better TDs to be had at tier8 and 9 I won't bother. What's the problem with the tier8 and 9? On paper I just don't see it

Enforcer1975 #10 Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:29 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 19080 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
The Firefly that leads to the turreted TD line is a solid tank, buffed Challenger and Charioteer ( fast and good guns imo ) also work especially fine if you have the top gun. I didn't particularly like the FV4004 and the FV4005 is okish with a gun than trolls you every other game. 

250swb #11 Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:42 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21208 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
The godlike Charioteer is the one to go for, anything you like before or after it in the tech tree is a bonus. You can play it like a sniper or alternatively more like a medium tank, you've got weak armour but a magnificent gun, good camo, speed,....it's just great.

TungstenHitman #12 Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:55 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 19286 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

Ok let's do this... may the RNJesus be kind to me and my stock junk tanks and deep camping gamplay which in hindsight would probably have suited the TDs more than then meds but you know what, the US Sherman was very much fun derping around the place so lets see how it goes, I suppose the only real "did I chose wrong path?" us going to be the tier6 medium but at a glance the only really horrible thing about that tank is it's brutal top speed and I know I'm really going to hate that. Thing about having a slow tank as you know is, if you sit back and the battle goes well, you don't have the speed to press on and mop up all the retreating defeated enemy tanks and arty yet if you press forward too soon early on in the battle in an attempt to negate that slow speed then you get killed fast so... let's see how it goes.

Thanks for the replies and keep those tier8 and 9 opinions coming 

Brodie_ #13 Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:58 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 76575 battles

I did both ways.

For the less experienced player, the medium way is really quite fun, & straight forward.

The Sherman 3 is basically the same as the M4, but with 2 degrees less gun depression.

Still a fun tank to play though!

Firefly is pretty nice to.

I personally, really enjoyed the TD's myself though!

I really wanted to try the Achilles so decided to do them.

I would say that they both will reward an experienced player massively!

But an inexperienced player will hate them!

I had one of my best performances in any tank I have ever played in the Archer!

It is quite awkward to play as you have to drive backwards to get anywhere.

It massively rewards someone with good map knowledge of TD positions.

When that gun is allowed to sing it can be awesome!

With the Achilles, you have to deal with the terrible gun depression.

But again when you get that accurate high pen gun singing it is murderous!

The safe & sure way is definitely the medium way.

But the more interesting way for the experienced player is the TD way!

Definitely worth doing though!

The Charioteer is still one of my favorite tanks!

Good luck!

Balc0ra #14 Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 63409 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostTungstenHitman, on 02 June 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

Well is it worth bothering with at all so? My main interest was the tier8 which is basically a Cromwell derived tank so it has that nice quick mobility and camo but with a viscous looking top gun and the tier8 has, with a decent crew and rammer etc. about 4k dpm with the stock which just reads amazing on paper to me with the massive bonus of a turret of course. Am I wrong about my positive interpretation of both those TDs? I mean, if you tell me right now they suck and there's better TDs to be had at tier8 and 9 I won't bother. What's the problem with the tier8 and 9? On paper I just don't see it

Challenger is actually fun now with the new gun. Tier 8 is def worth it. As it's a tier 8 TD with a tier 9 med gun. Stock grind is terrible even with the DPM. But once it's kitted out. It's def worth it, regardless what line you take. Tier 8 has been my go to since I got it. I've hardly played my JP II or Borsig etc since. Tier 9 less so. It's fine tbh. I've not played it since I elited it over my other tier 9 TD's. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 02 June 2018 - 06:07 PM.

Homer_J #15 Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:12 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27288 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostTungstenHitman, on 02 June 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

Yes it has speed, alpha and dpm but it has no armour at all, on the turret or the hull, and only two thirds of the hitpoints of a tier 8 med, and the turret rotation is slow.  It's more Hellcat than Type 59.

250swb #16 Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:33 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21208 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostHomer_J, on 02 June 2018 - 05:12 PM, said:

It's more Hellcat than Type 59.

So pretty much an ideal situation given it is a TD.

tank276 #17 Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:41 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 48592 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostTungstenHitman, on 02 June 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

Thanks.

I free xped to some tier,dont really remember which.

The Charioteer is simply fantastic when elited, the Conway is decent with the smaller DPM gun (it lacks in camo ofc).

Dont remember playing the Archer ever, but I saw some "hidden gem" videos on it (circonflexes or sirfoch?).

Achilles had a Wolverine similar play style.

Challenger had a peculiar low alpha gun, didnt enjoy it much.

Cheers dude

Edited by tank276, 02 June 2018 - 06:48 PM.

TungstenHitman #18 Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:00 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 19286 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

View PostHomer_J, on 02 June 2018 - 05:12 PM, said:

Yes it has speed, alpha and dpm but it has no armour at all, on the turret or the hull, and only two thirds of the hitpoints of a tier 8 med, and the turret rotation is slow.  It's more Hellcat than Type 59.

View Post250swb, on 02 June 2018 - 05:33 PM, said:

So pretty much an ideal situation given it is a TD.

That's exactly what I'm after, perfect! a conservative playstyle that can exploit openings and react to failing flanks, speed, firepower and camo with a big ol boom stick. :)

Well, that tier5 grind went by really fast, 26 battles only. Once I saw that derp I really had to go with the medium line, what a dirty filthy weapon that is lol and I loved it! 70% win rate, 53 tanks destroyed, 4.42 kill/death ratio just over 2 kills per battle av and a side order of credits, thinking of keeping that Sherman actually, fun!

and here's the Firefly... onwards to the Challenger, possible one of the UGLIEST and ungainly, awkward looking TD's but I like the look of it's top gun even if it has a big boxy unmissable KV2 type of turret.

Rozbrus #19 Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:21 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8744 battles
Firefly with the top gun is quite good. You should not be in a first line as it has a crappy armor, but that gun... In opposite to US Shermans you can do some damage in tier 8 battles which you will be mostly put in. And I would like to see face of those T34/85(M) drivers when you out dpm them one on one :-)

Hero_of_Tython #20 Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:33 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22956 battles
  • [UP-EM] UP-EM

If you can get to tier 5 with free XP then the Medium line is probably the easier way to go. I actually enjoyed playing the Achilles TD (a 17 pounder gun at tier 5 is fun) but that vehicle is an acquired taste. The Sherman 3 is pretty much the same as the M4 to play except you get a couple of British 6 pounder guns to choose from (the 105 derp is still the most fun).

At tier 6 you'd have the Archer TD or the Sherman Firefly. The Archer plays a lot like the Hellcat (I think it is based on the Wolverine Chassis) but with a 17 pounder gun and the Firefly is a lot like the tier 6 US Shermans, only a bit slower, worse gun depression and a 17 pounder gun. So which is best depends on if you prefer playing sniper TDs or Sniper medium tanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users