Is there an "anti-camp mechanism", and if yes: why?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

PoIestar #1 Posted 02 June 2018 - 10:10 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 31501 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Warning: rant-ish

I've been noticing recently that I've been getting less exp for games where I did a lot of dmg and spotting, but quite low exp. I thought this was because a substantial part of the damage was on 300 meters or more. Hence why I think doing a lot of damage on 300 meters results in little exp. Is that true?

If yes: why? Countering redline sniping is a fantastic idea, but there's a difference between redline and 300 m. The vast majority of the low exp games are games in which I did more damage as bottom tier than top tiers, but played cautiously at the end and yes, sniping. But I'm a medium tank player. Isn't long distance in a bottom tier kind of the way to go? If I'm driving a Mutz or Progetto in a tier 10 game, I'm not charging down anything. I'm just using cautious measures to ensure damaging players.

But in the most recent example I did 2k damage and 2k spotting in a tier 10 game in the Pz 58 Mutz (not an incredible result but it was better than most of my team), with the biggest part of that spotting done when reduced to 300 HP by using my 400-ish m viewrange and some bushes. That's not camping, that's using the game mechanics to ensure staying alive and helping the team.

Block Quote

Hence why I think doing a lot of damage on 300 meters results in little exp. Is that true?

So back to this question: is it? I don't think it's a good way to solve camping. The difference between doing your damage on 300 m and camping is too huge for that.

I know there are cynics here who will suggest that I am just a camper myself. But everytime something like this happens, I use this as tactical measures to help my team winning. If that makes me a camper, it makes me a camper who wins games and helps their team doing so, hence why penaltizing me with less exp is bs anyway. I have a crew to train.

Edited by PoIestar, 02 June 2018 - 10:10 PM.

tank276 #2 Posted 02 June 2018 - 10:14 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 48872 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

There is.

It is called "artillery piece".

Kappa

Dorander #3 Posted 02 June 2018 - 10:15 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17854 battles

There's an xp bonus for proximity, which I believe is 200m, rather than 300. There's also an xp bonus for being lower tier in a match.

2k damage and 2k spotting on a tier 8 tank in a tier 10 game should give you a good amount of xp...

PoIestar #4 Posted 02 June 2018 - 10:20 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 31501 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDorander, on 02 June 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

There's an xp bonus for proximity, which I believe is 200m, rather than 300. There's also an xp bonus for being lower tier in a match.

2k damage and 2k spotting on a tier 8 tank in a tier 10 game should give you a good amount of xp...

It resulted in 861 exp base. Which is the same as doing that 2k without the 2k spotting when not top tier (hence shooting tier 8 and lower targets) and being active and close. 

HundeWurst #5 Posted 02 June 2018 - 10:31 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 67720 battles
  • [FAME] FAME
But arty is in the game to make all them filthy campers stop camping

XxKuzkina_MatxX #6 Posted 02 June 2018 - 10:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47749 battles
  • [RU18] RU18
You play according to your tank capabilities and your ability as a player. If it's a win then you'll get good XP providing that you catch some of that clean up damage. If it's a defeat you'll probably be in the top 5 by XP because you "farmed" (oh i am disgusted by that word!) till the bitter end. WG never released their formula for calculating XP so play the way you feel comfortable.

hoveruss #7 Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:45 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 17257 battles

If you're  >300m then i expect someone else was spotting for you which reduces the XP

of any damage you do.

Tankyouverymuch2 #8 Posted 03 June 2018 - 12:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29679 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

SerB should drop his nerf tool from the sky at your tank if you don't move for over 30 sec. Active stun effect until you move at least 50m in any direction. :trollface:

...on a more serious note; are you spotting the tanks you shoot? If not, you get less xp than you'd get if they're within your spotting range.

Edited by Tankyouverymuch2, 03 June 2018 - 12:11 AM.

Bexleyheath #9 Posted 03 June 2018 - 12:20 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4268 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostHundeWurst, on 02 June 2018 - 10:31 PM, said:

Yes. Except artyscummers tends to go for the easiest possible targets instead of actually being useful.

Dava_117 #10 Posted 03 June 2018 - 12:22 AM

Major

• Player
  • 18538 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

More or less what hoveruss and Tankyouverymuch2 said.

If you're playing support role, especially on medium line, where tanks have good cammo, your firstliner are probably spotting for you, gettimg half of your exp income.

Flavortown #11 Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:30 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16141 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

Those pesky campers, thank god we have arty to stop that sacrilege by forcing them to hide behind cover or sit in redline.

15JG52Brauer #12 Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:47 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 74077 battles
  • [WHO] WHO
Camping prevention tool not working confirmed - please buff WG ;-)  http://wotreplays.eu...c5a6bb56e9201a8

Gremlin182 #13 Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:14 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 46657 battles

Some really funny ones here such as the game forcing you to move or be stunned, I assume that was a joke haha

So we have these SPG guys so many hate and maybe the TDs that sit and hide and of course they should get moving and do something.

Oh I get it I get annoyed about camping too except its one of the most misused words in the game.

I hate it when someone with a Heavy tank often one with an inaccurate gun is trying to share the same group of bushes with me and my Borsig.

I do not have speed or armour I live and die by whether I am spotted or not.

Sitting in the same place when there are few if any targets and doing very little the entire game is camping

Occasionally it is warranted but not often, I have sometimes been in a tank where I am either the only or one of a couple of tanks covering an entire flank that you know the enemy are probing.

If you leave they will exploit the gap if you stay then they cannot, its annoying but if your team wins I can live with it as its a pretty rare situation.

So none camping camping where you shoot the proverbial out of a load of targets your team spots.

Well I pay my team for that I give them half my xp and thats xp they wouldn't have if I wasn't there.

Same with the poor old arty they sit way at the back and while everyone hates the enemy arty that pounds you to bits from 700 meters no one thanks their teams own arty that does the same for the targets you spotted and pays you with half the xp they earn.

Point is the snipers are paying the spotters and the spotters are being rewarded for their spotting.

If I come out from hiding and charge in alongside the IS3s and so on I will get a couple of shots off then die and you not get half the xp from that fight.

There is camping and then there is fighting your tank as it was designed to fight.

Ferditude #14 Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:26 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 903 battles

Have u seen games where both teams camp +its just arty blind shooting obvious bushes... 

+me pinging for help 10x squares away

View PostGremlin182, on 03 June 2018 - 06:14 AM, said:

Some really funny ones here such as the game forcing you to move or be stunned, I assume that was a joke haha

So we have these SPG guys so many hate and maybe the TDs that sit and hide and of course they should get moving and do something.

Oh I get it I get annoyed about camping too except its one of the most misused words in the game.

I hate it when someone with a Heavy tank often one with an inaccurate gun is trying to share the same group of bushes with me and my Borsig.

I do not have speed or armour I live and die by whether I am spotted or not.

Sitting in the same place when there are few if any targets and doing very little the entire game is camping

Occasionally it is warranted but not often, I have sometimes been in a tank where I am either the only or one of a couple of tanks covering an entire flank that you know the enemy are probing.

If you leave they will exploit the gap if you stay then they cannot, its annoying but if your team wins I can live with it as its a pretty rare situation.

So none camping camping where you shoot the proverbial out of a load of targets your team spots.

Well I pay my team for that I give them half my xp and thats xp they wouldn't have if I wasn't there.

Same with the poor old arty they sit way at the back and while everyone hates the enemy arty that pounds you to bits from 700 meters no one thanks their teams own arty that does the same for the targets you spotted and pays you with half the xp they earn.

Point is the snipers are paying the spotters and the spotters are being rewarded for their spotting.

If I come out from hiding and charge in alongside the IS3s and so on I will get a couple of shots off then die and you not get half the xp from that fight.

There is camping and then there is fighting your tank as it was designed to fight.

My borsig is shoulder to shoulder with the heavies in the front line. 

Every second 1x gun isn't in a position to fire, it's a lossed opportunity

I've caught up to heavies +they've cowered from jap heavy 4/5

I turn up +HE them a few times +jap looses nerve +my team get braver... 

Edited by NickMustaine, 03 June 2018 - 09:25 AM.

Homer_J #15 Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:29 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostPoIestar, on 02 June 2018 - 10:10 PM, said:

Warning: rant-ish

I've been noticing recently that I've been getting less exp for games where I did a lot of dmg and spotting, but quite low exp. I thought this was because a substantial part of the damage was on 300 meters or more. Hence why I think doing a lot of damage on 300 meters results in little exp. Is that true?

Well I seriously doubt you are doing a lot of spotting at 300m and if you are doing damage at 300m then it's likely not through your own spotting.

Anyway, damage and spotting are fairly irrelevant to exp, what matters most is how well your team did compared with the enemy.

azakow #16 Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:24 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 74789 battles
Replay pls.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users