termination new EULA ownership controversy

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Balc0ra #21 Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:56 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 67337 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

A: This is WGNA. B: You never really own anything as is. As with any online game. It's just more clear in writing this time for NA that is. They can ban you and deny you access even before the new EULA as such to name one. Or close the service down on short warning and deny access to anything suddenly. It's just their way of saying no refund if we ban you. 

View PostTankkiPoju, on 04 June 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

It's just an EULA from every digital vendor.

Just read the Steam EULA (Steam Subscriber Agreement), you don't actually own anything and Valve can terminate your account at any time:

"You understand and acknowledge that Valve may decide to cease operation of any Subscription Marketplace, change the fees that it charges or change the terms or features of the Steam Subscription Marketplace. Valve shall have no liability to you because of any inability to trade Subscriptions in the Steam Trading Marketplace, including because of discontinuation or changes in the terms, features or eligibility requirements of any Subscription Marketplace."

That's more or less been there since day one.  If the service dies, you can't get your goods anymore to download it. So thus... you kinda rent the right to use it in a way as is, vs if you have a physical copy of the game. Unless they have a DRM in there like Spore did. That killed off your copy and did render it useless after the 5th install via an online check. So there you even "rented" the right to use it even if you had the disk.... until they removed the check many years later. 

View PostJigabachi, on 04 June 2018 - 08:28 AM, said:

Do people never read the EULAs they agree to? Only when they make it into the news because one reason or another?

I never did read the first one WOT had, as I suspected it was a copy paste of a 100% of the online games out there. Did honestly read the new one to see what all the fuzz was about after it hit the news. And it's close to any EULA I've read before. Just going into more details on some subjects. Like the details they collect when you use t his forum to name one. 

But tbh like most I hardly ever read anything EULA. I would like to know who has read the Apple one before they made their iTunes account. As I suspect no one ever did. As indicated by the South Park episode. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 04 June 2018 - 11:03 AM.

Jigabachi #22 Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:33 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBalc0ra, on 04 June 2018 - 10:56 AM, said:

But tbh like most I hardly ever read anything EULA. I would like to know who has read the Apple one before they made their iTunes account. As I suspect no one ever did. As indicated by the South Park episode.

I just skim through them, looking for the important stuff about personal data and things like that. That's one reason why I don't use apple stuff, facebook or all that other crap.

It does indeed seem like this is the first EULA that people ever read, so maybe somebody should turn that SP episode into reality?

Anyway, I'm off for lunch. As a sidedish we'll have a salad with beans, onions and lots of garlic and chili.

jack_timber #23 Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:55 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 34440 battles

Don't see how you can own pixel tanks anyways or even your account, the account is mine/yours to use unless WG says otherwise.

TBH usually don't read EULA if I want to use a piece of software I will accept, mind you if it tries to install bloatware then no won't accept.

TankkiPoju #24 Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:55 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20989 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View PostBalc0ra, on 04 June 2018 - 10:56 AM, said:

So thus... you kinda rent the right to use it in a way as is, vs if you have a physical copy of the game. 

Physical copy won't make much difference. It's because video game licensing only allows you to play the game without actually owning anything except the piece of plastic (disc) you bought.

In other words, the game publisher can fully well legally revoke your right to play the game even if you have the disc. And if you then play it, you are breaking copyright laws.

The battle of game ownership was lost years ago when people embraced Steam, there is no going back.

Agent_327 #25 Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:03 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17540 battles
  • [CAF] CAF
Whaaat?!? Somebody actually read the EULA?!?

Darksteel_Plate #26 Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:08 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9726 battles
  • [97TH] 97TH

View PostJigabachi, on 04 June 2018 - 07:28 AM, said:

Developers use it to protect THEIR property and to prevent random bobs from annoying or suing them when they want to fix balance issues.

lol removing pref mm is "fixing" balancing issues

jabster #27 Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:11 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12598 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostDarksteel_Plate, on 04 June 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

So you’re deciding to ignore just how much you got wrong with your OP then? 

Cobra6 #28 Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16343 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Postjack_timber, on 04 June 2018 - 10:55 AM, said:

Don't see how you can own pixel tanks anyways or even your account, the account is mine/yours to use unless WG says otherwise.

TBH usually don't read EULA if I want to use a piece of software I will accept, mind you if it tries to install bloatware then no won't accept.

Same way you owned pixels 15 years ago when they came on a DVD/CD-ROM. Unless that disc got damaged to the extent you could not run it anymore, you'd always have your game available to you until eternity.

Cobra 6

Slyspy #29 Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:36 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14205 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postjabster, on 04 June 2018 - 12:11 PM, said:

So you’re deciding to ignore just how much you got wrong with your OP then? 

This is the trouble with tabloid journalism. 

Homer_J #30 Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:59 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29674 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostCobra6, on 04 June 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

Same way you owned pixels 15 years ago when they came on a DVD/CD-ROM. Unless that disc got damaged to the extent you could not run it anymore, you'd always have your game available to you until eternity.

Cobra 6

I have a bunch of CDs in the loft which I can't use unless I manage to source a copy of Windows 95 and compatible hardware/drivers.  So much for having it available for eternity.

Yakito #31 Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18874 battles

View Post250swb, on 04 June 2018 - 07:10 AM, said:

No, you think you should be compensated because you adhere to the compensation culture. A car manufacturer changes the value of your car when they bring out the new model that replaces it, so does everybody get compensated? Things in life change, you don't need to be compensated every time they do.

And when you earn reserves and then the server crashes for many hours? 

Or when the event is supposed to run until midnight and they shut it down 2 hours early?

I worked in customer service and these are the things that should be compensated.

Cobra6 #32 Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16343 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostHomer_J, on 04 June 2018 - 11:59 AM, said:

I have a bunch of CDs in the loft which I can't use unless I manage to source a copy of Windows 95 and compatible hardware/drivers.  So much for having it available for eternity.

Nothing stopping you from running your games though, it is still available to you and there is no game publisher taking your game away.

Cobra 6

Dorander #33 Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:26 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18669 battles
Those clauses don't exist so software provides can shaft you. They exist so that you can't sue a software provider for any and every penny they may still have left if they eventually shut down their service for legitimate reasons.

Lord_Barbarozza #34 Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:42 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6645 battles

This was the chance for WG to show some dignity, its not like it is possible for anyone to take with them their tanks if they quit world of tanks, its your choice if you spent money. But this is not about owning your own account, this is about Wargaming being able to whatever they want without having the consent of the players, hence we have WG changing preferential tanks lying about the reasons why they do it.

Its like a cable company removed the channels you paid for without offering you a refund if you dont want their NEW DEAL.

Jigabachi #35 Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:21 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDarksteel_Plate, on 04 June 2018 - 12:08 PM, said:

Try reading a post to its end before commenting it.

Understanding a post before commenting it often helps, too.

Bordhaw #36 Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:17 PM

Major

• Player
  • 11978 battles

View PostDarksteel_Plate, on 04 June 2018 - 05:53 AM, said:

Yes, thats right. have you seen this?  So this is the end of the road for the trustworthyness of WG. 

They have seen the 170+ pages of forumthread, and instead of addressing the issue, they try to silence us! 

''No critisism allowed here''. 

So 13 days left. If you dont sign the EULA, WG can terminate your account:

If you fail to comply with any of the terms set out in this section, we reserve the right to terminate your license over the Fansite Content and also to close your Account.

Her you will offer your surrender: 

YOU FURTHER ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOU HAVE NO CLAIM, RIGHT, TITLE, OWNERSHIP, OR OTHER PROPRIETARY INTEREST IN THE ADDITIONAL FEATURES (AS DEFINED BELOW) THAT YOU UNLOCK OR ACCUMULATE, REGARDLESS OF ANY CONSIDERATION OFFERED OR PAID IN EXCHANGE FOR SUCH ADDITIONAL FEATURES.

YOU OWN NOTHING ANYMORE!

Here is WG covering their tracks for destroying a few years of fun:

URTHERMORE, WARGAMING SHALL NOT BE LIABLE IN ANY MANNER FOR THE DESTRUCTION, DELETION, MODIFICATION, IMPAIRMENT, HACKING, OR ANY OTHER DAMAGE OR LOSS OF ANY KIND CAUSED TO THE GAME CONTENT OR ADDITIONAL FEATURES, INCLUDING THE DELETION OF GAME CONTENT OR ADDITIONAL FEATURES UPON THE TERMINATION OR EXPIRATION OF YOUR ACCOUNT.

Also, you cant be a newsite anymore, you have to kiss their [edited]or you will be terminated;

the Fansite will not post material that is disparaging, illegal or infringes on the rights of any third party or that damages (or that might damage) the reputation of Wargaming or of any of the Games. If you fail to comply with any of the terms set out in this section, we reserve the right to terminate your license over the Fansite Content and also to close your Account.

They have seen that people dont like what they will do to prefferential MM tanks. They didnt kow it would be such a shitstorm. So they change the EULA so they can change the KV5 freely, and you can only comply. They will cough you up, and they will push this through your troat. They dont want a Foche debacle anymore. 

I dont think the part where you cant critisise them anymore is legal, but the part of the ''changing'' is legal. They can do whatever they want!

We cant let this slide! this is a turning point, after this they can do whatever they want, and there will be no more respect to you, me or the whole community anymore! we have to do something!

Spoiler

Thanks to : The armoured patrol

Scource: https://thearmoredpatrol.com/

jabster #37 Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:30 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12598 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostNethraniel, on 04 June 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

Well... when you compare that to the other two tonk games.

Tonkthunder:

3.8. Agreement Suspension. WITHOUT LIMITING ANY OTHER REMEDIES, GAIJIN MAY LIMIT, SUSPEND, TERMINATE, MODIFY, OR DELETE ACCOUNTS OR ACCESS TO THE PRODUCT OR PORTIONS THEREOF IF YOU ARE, OR GAIJIN REASONABLY SUSPECTS THAT YOU ARE, FAILING TO COMPLY WITH ANY OF THIS AGREEMENT OR FOR ANY ACTUAL OR SUSPECTED ILLEGAL OR IMPROPER USE OF THE PRODUCT, WITH OR WITHOUT NOTICE TO YOU. YOU CAN LOSE YOUR USER NAME AND PERSONA AS A RESULT OF ACCOUNT TERMINATION OR LIMITATION, AS WELL AS ANY BENEFITS, PRIVILEGES, EARNED ITEMS AND PURCHASED ITEMS ASSOCIATED WITH YOUR USE OF THE PRODUCT AND/OR GAME, AND GAIJIN IS UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO COMPENSATE YOU FOR ANY SUCH LOSSES OR RESULTS.

Armored Tonkfare:

5.21. Should the the provisions of this EULA or any related documents be violated by the User, MY COM B.V. may apply the following sanctions:

• restrict the use of in-game communication services;
  • partially restrict the Game functionality of an account and/or that of a character;
  • restrict the access to any components of in-game content;
  • perform a forced renaming of: a character, user communities or organizations, or in-game objects;
  • remove items, in-game currency, or other in-game valuables;
  • restrict, suspend, or completely terminate the access to one or more characters of a game account;
  • change the values of achievements and the parameters of the development of characters;
  • remove characters or accounts.

Depending on the violation and its consequences for the Game as a whole, the type and/or extent of a sanction may be changed at MY.COM B.V. discretion.

So, yeah... more or less the same for all...

I really don’t understand the drama about a clause that is basically common to any company that offers digital goods and has in one shape of form always been in the WoT EU EULA. It just a legalese way of saying well yes you may have given us money but don’t think you own anything and yes we can do anything we want. Even if they’re not legally entitled to do that it’s not as though I could do anything about it.

It pretty much goes with the territory for games like this. I just look at is a any money I put into to the game has effectively zero value. At some point I’ll either get bored of the game, it will change so I no longer like it or the servers will shut down. It’s just a question of which happens first.  

Nethraniel #38 Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:35 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 13535 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postjabster, on 05 June 2018 - 07:30 AM, said:

I really don’t understand the drama about a clause that is basically common to any company that offers digital goods and has in one shape of form always been in the WoT EU EULA. It just a legalese way of saying well yes you may have given us money but don’t think you own anything and yes we can do anything we want. Even if they’re not legally entitled to do that it’s not as though I could do anything about it.

It pretty much goes with the territory for games like this. I just look at is a any money I put into to the game has effectively zero value. At some point I’ll either get bored of the game, it will change so I no longer like it or the servers will shut down. It’s just a question of which happens first.  

Yes, that is pretty much it. If you sink money in an online game, do it for having fun, because it isn't more than a luxury item for personal entertainment.

Agent_327 #39 Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:08 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17540 battles
  • [CAF] CAF

View PostCobra6, on 04 June 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

Cobra 6

You can run the wot client for eternity and view all the replays you want, but if they close the servers you can no longer play the game. So it would not make sense to 'own' anything in a cloud based game as you would loose it if they closed the servers. 

DracheimFlug #40 Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:08 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 9095 battles

View PostCobra6, on 04 June 2018 - 04:14 PM, said:

Nothing stopping you from running your games though, it is still available to you and there is no game publisher taking your game away.

Cobra 6

There is no shortage or precedents of other MMO's shutting down, or online facebook games.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users