Artillery in its current state is the worst it has ever been. (And ways to improve it)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Ben13215 #1 Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:07 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2769 battles

Yes. Right now artillery is probably the most annoying class in the game, for both those who play it and those who play against it. And yes, I am a pretty heavy arty player myself, however dont start writing your angry comment just yet. I agree that right now, playing against arty is incredibly annoying (getting stunned for 15 seconds every 30 seconds, as well as a barrage of critical damage) It can be especially bad when arty is targeting you ( yes im talking about you heavy tank players) and you play over 50% of your match stunned. Honestly, i think this is only a fraction better than what arty used to be (getting one-shoted every 5 games) Dont get me wrong though, back then arty was way to overpowered, especially considering that it was the least played class;only a few people would get any sense of satisfaction about playing a game with artillery. And here is where we encounter the problem: right now NOBODY is enjoying playing against AND with artillery. As i said, i play artillery a lot and thus I will speak for the artillery playing community, it is the MOST FRUSTRATING THING that you will EVER experience when you have finally reloaded, perfectly aimed in on the perfect target, you fire and your shell hits the enemy flush.... and then you look at the dmg..... 10 F***ING DMG DONE WTF?!?!?! and trust me no artillery player cares about "stun dmg" even though  it may be really annoying for the player who I just hit to go through 20 seconds of stun, it brings me (the arty player) no satisfaction what so ever, and yet it annoys the crap out of the enemy. Therefore I have come up with a set of nerfs and buffs which I think will FINALLY make arty a class which will be neither OP nor a total and complete failure (what it is now) 

So here we go:

Nerfs: 

- Accuracy back to pre 9.18 levels

- Reload time back to pre 9.18 levels

- Artillery will get non-preferential match making: arty will only go into battles with 1 or 2 tier higher vehicles, nothing below

- Maximum of 1 artillery per battle (Lower your risks  of constantly being hit)

- stun will only be available to 200+ mm guns, max stun time of 7 secs, effects of stun reduced.

- chance of inflicting critical dmg reduced 75%

All pretty good so far...

Buffs:

Oh but here we go...

-25+% increase in alpha dmg.

- HUGE, and i mean huge, buff in penetration for HE shells, if you hit a target with good armour your still gonna have a pretty good chance of penetrating it, e.g. T92 HMC (tier 10 american SPG) with 240 mm pen on HE rounds.

-Artillery will again be able to use the full variety of shell types in wot.

I know, I know, 90% of those reading this are probably already spamming the comments with "idiot" and ridiculing me for my 50% win rate (remember arty can never, EVER carry a battle. If your team is bad you will lose no matter how much you try) but for those 10% who are still reading, do you think that this would finally do justice to the SPG class? 

Anyway I hope to hear any constructive comments or improvements. 

P.S. For tier 10 and 9 artillery i know they will get better match making than the classes below, but dont forget that getting into a full t10 battle is pretty rare, so trust me not many people will wait the 8 min in the match making menu to play 1 game in a t10 arty no matter how powerful they are.

HeidenSieker #2 Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:01 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles
I read that briefly. It might be OK for SPGs not to be top tier (but not bottom tier all the time); apart from that, I can't see anything I particularly agree with, and there's a lot that's completely untrue.

FluffyRedFox #3 Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:18 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21723 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

The only changes I can see having a positive impact are these ones:

Block Quote

-Maximum of 1 artillery per battle (Lower your risks  of constantly being hit)

- Artillery will get non-preferential match making: arty will only go into battles with 1 or 2 tier higher vehicles, nothing below

Other than that, your ideas would make arty a worse class to play (due to increase reload and dispersion so more RNG and more waiting) and a worse class to play against (240mm HE pen with 1650 alpha using your T92 example is just nope nope nope.)

Also bear in mind that you're increasing damage without changing splash, again using your T92 example thats a 13m splash radius with 1650 he alpha.

General_McMuschi #4 Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20798 battles

So what is the point in getting tier 10 arty then, if - after grinding entire line - I have a tank which (if I wish to play) - I got to sit in queue for 10 minutes? Why would I even grind for tier 10 arty?

I respect the fact that you put some thinking in this but I'm triggered by few things.

Block Quote

And here is where we encounter the problem: right now NOBODY is enjoying playing against AND with artillery.

What is your proof? That is your opinion which you feed us like it's some fact.

Here are facts:

- nobody likes to be shot by arty, or by TDs or shot in general. But it's a part of the game. 

- I know plenty of dedicated arty players who enjoy very much playing arty. I'm talking about an entire community of arty players.

Block Quote

As i said, i play artillery a lot and thus I will speak for the artillery playing community

Excuse me? And who gave you the right to speak for the arty community? Do we need someone to speak for us? You can speak for yourself, but not for anyone else.

Block Quote

the MOST FRUSTRATING THING that you will EVER experience when you have finally reloaded, perfectly aimed in on the perfect target, you fire and your shell hits the enemy flush.... and then you look at the dmg..... 10 F***ING DMG DONE WTF?!?!?!

First of all, all good arty players are aware and have accepted the RNG that goes with playing SPG. So, "perfectly aimed shots" that miss is a completely natural thing. If that upsets a player, then this player should go play a sniper.

"Perfect target"? Believe me, if you do 10 damage with direct hit with any arty - then your target isn't perfect. You'll do 10 damage to armored vehicles, usually heavily armored. It happens. If you want to do damage, your "perfect target" should be very lightly armored vehicle. And when you score a direct hit on a lightly armored vehicle, sometimes it will pen, sometimes it won't but it will always do more than 10 damage. My advice: learn what a "perfect target" is.

Block Quote

and trust me no artillery player cares about "stun dmg"

I do actually, and many other people do as well. Arty is a support class, so getting assistance damage is a very good thing. 

Even if/when your shot doesn't do many HP of damage, you still destroy crew/modules, stun, even track enemy. And if you (arty) picked the right priority target to shoot, it does help your team a lot to take him down, and eventually helps win the battle.

Block Quote

yet it annoys the crap out of the enemy.

that's why the enemy has reusable first aid kit.

Block Quote

Therefore I have come up with a set of nerfs and buffs which I think will FINALLY make arty...

...into a boring to play damage dealer instead of it being a support tank that plays strategically.

Edited by General_McMuschi, 06 June 2018 - 01:47 PM.

Gremlin182 #5 Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:56 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 45620 battles

Don't really rate artillery at the moment its an annoyance a major one to some a minor ones to others.

Depending on the tank there are things you can do to defend against it many do not and to some extent have themselves to blame.

For me as player and victim the problem is purely one of range.

We have SPGs that historically fired at ranges up to say 40 kilometers on a 1 or 2 kilometer map.

That is somewhat stupid.

Maybe it works on Frontline I don't have any tier 8 SPGs so could not tell for sure.

Ideally I would want just about every SPG in the game replaced the new units would be able to fire indirectly but have a limited range forcing them to think the same as tank players do where to go on a map and not Ill just sit in this corner.

That is not going to happen so Plan B

Whatever other changes you make to SPGs you add this they can fire accurately or at least as accurately as they do now up to a certain range.

We can work out what range best fits in with the current maps for now lets just say 300 meters.

Above that range your sight disappears all you have is a top down view of a large map area.

Any shell you fire at that range could go anywhere in that area most likely missing everything.

Its the only way I can see to limit range make more areas arty safe forcing arty players to carefully choose where to set up shop.

mpf1959 #6 Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:25 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11277 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I love playing arty.:arta:

Bordhaw #7 Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:58 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9864 battles

View PostBen13215, on 05 June 2018 - 07:07 PM, said:

Yes. Right now artillery is probably the most annoying class in the game, for both those who play it and those who play against it. And yes, I am a pretty heavy arty player myself, however dont start writing your angry comment just yet. I agree that right now, playing against arty is incredibly annoying (getting stunned for 15 seconds every 30 seconds, as well as a barrage of critical damage) It can be especially bad when arty is targeting you ( yes im talking about you heavy tank players) and you play over 50% of your match stunned. Honestly, i think this is only a fraction better than what arty used to be (getting one-shoted every 5 games) Dont get me wrong though, back then arty was way to overpowered, especially considering that it was the least played class;only a few people would get any sense of satisfaction about playing a game with artillery. And here is where we encounter the problem: right now NOBODY is enjoying playing against AND with artillery. As i said, i play artillery a lot and thus I will speak for the artillery playing community, it is the MOST FRUSTRATING THING that you will EVER experience when you have finally reloaded, perfectly aimed in on the perfect target, you fire and your shell hits the enemy flush.... and then you look at the dmg..... 10 F***ING DMG DONE WTF?!?!?! and trust me no artillery player cares about "stun dmg" even though  it may be really annoying for the player who I just hit to go through 20 seconds of stun, it brings me (the arty player) no satisfaction what so ever, and yet it annoys the crap out of the enemy. Therefore I have come up with a set of nerfs and buffs which I think will FINALLY make arty a class which will be neither OP nor a total and complete failure (what it is now) 

So here we go:

Nerfs: 

- Accuracy back to pre 9.18 levels

- Reload time back to pre 9.18 levels

- Maximum of 1 artillery per battle (Lower your risks  of constantly being hit)

- stun will only be available to 200+ mm guns, max stun time of 7 secs, effects of stun reduced.

- chance of inflicting critical dmg reduced 75%

All pretty good so far...

Buffs:

Oh but here we go...

-25+% increase in alpha dmg.

- HUGE, and i mean huge, buff in penetration for HE shells, if you hit a target with good armour your still gonna have a pretty good chance of penetrating it, e.g. T92 HMC (tier 10 american SPG) with 240 mm pen on HE rounds.

-Artillery will again be able to use the full variety of shell types in wot.

I know, I know, 90% of those reading this are probably already spamming the comments with "idiot" and ridiculing me for my 50% win rate (remember arty can never, EVER carry a battle. If your team is bad you will lose no matter how much you try) but for those 10% who are still reading, do you think that this would finally do justice to the SPG class? 

Anyway I hope to hear any constructive comments or improvements. 

P.S. For tier 10 and 9 artillery i know they will get better match making than the classes below, but dont forget that getting into a full t10 battle is pretty rare, so trust me not many people will wait the 8 min in the match making menu to play 1 game in a t10 arty no matter how powerful they are.

Sorry you're boring. 

mpf1959 #8 Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:04 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11277 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
There is nothing wrong with arty. I one-shotted a Luchs yesterday in the opening seconds of the game, after he was parading about dodging and weaving and did a neat handbrake turn, great driver. Then I blew him to atoms with 1 shell!, I wonder did his keyboard survive? :arta:

HeidenSieker #9 Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:46 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles
Would you say that there was an element of luck as well as an element of skill there?

mpf1959 #10 Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:50 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11277 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostHeidenSieker, on 09 June 2018 - 08:46 PM, said:

Would you say that there was an element of luck as well as an element of skill there?

I dunno, but it was great fun, and that's all I play this game for.

Darth_Clicker #11 Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:50 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 51328 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View Postmpf1959, on 10 June 2018 - 02:50 PM, said:

I dunno, but it was great fun, and that's all I play this game for.

I think you just made a few people's head spin around like the kid in the movie "The Exorcist".  Who would have ever imagined that a game could be played simply for fun?!?!?!?!?!? 

mpf1959 #12 Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:25 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11277 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDarth_Clicker, on 10 June 2018 - 02:50 PM, said:

I think you just made a few people's head spin around like the kid in the movie "The Exorcist".  Who would have ever imagined that a game could be played simply for fun?!?!?!?!?!? 

:teethhappy:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users