How can I become better at playing arty?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

CircleOfSorrow #1 Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:06 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28819 battles

I am on SPG-7-3, and I have no idea how I will get a top three placing by xp.  SPG-15-3 is even worse, requiring a first place by xp.  If you look at my stats, I have an abysmal average WN8 and WR for SPG as a class, and playing it drags my overall stats down.  I want to complete these campaign missions and I don't want my clicking to hurt my stats so much.  Can you please tell me what to do to improve my clicking?

- Please note that I have 12 orders available, if that has any bearing on the advice you would give.

Jorous #2 Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:07 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 18622 battles
  • [TPK] TPK

Finished Obj260 SPG - 15 yesterday in the M53/55. Try premium consumables. Shooting 10% faster with a 40 second reload is amazing.

Aim in the directrion, you can most expect a enemy to show up infront of your guys.

Yesterday it was abbey, southstart. My whole team went to the river road. So i preaimed at the destroyed vehicles on the north side. As soon as my guys came into view, before they spotted something i shot. And hit 3 Tier X Tanks at the same time. 6k assist dmg with my first shot. ;)

Edited by Jorous, 06 June 2018 - 02:10 PM.

Matcorr #3 Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22746 battles

It's really easy to predict where certain tanks are going to go and if you have good spotters you can even predict where they'll be spotted and preaim there. Also get to M53/M55 and just stick with that, it's a beast, splashing 2-3 tanks is so much better than getting a direct hit on one and M55 is great at that. Certain SPG's have a tendency to hit above or below the centre aiming point, with M55 it's above, so don't aim directly at tanks, aim slightly below them.

A rage point here, unless they're the only spotted tanks or you can hit the flat sides or back of Maus or Type 4/5 Heavy, don't even bother shooting them, you'd be lucky to do 150 damage to those OP [edited].

Coopsjc21 #4 Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8619 battles
I heard you can use 4 Orders on the last mission to do it and you get the engine part & female crew member for that class, so you don't need to do 1-14 if you don't want to play arty.

Browarszky #5 Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:58 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 15911 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L
:ohmy:

HeidenSieker #6 Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:59 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 06 June 2018 - 02:06 PM, said:

If you look at my stats, I have an abysmal average WN8 and WR for SPG as a class

Apologies for the sidetracking, but where do you find those stats, please?

Homer_J #7 Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:00 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 06 June 2018 - 02:06 PM, said:

- Please note that I have 12 orders available, if that has any bearing on the advice you would give.

View PostCoopsjc21, on 06 June 2018 - 02:50 PM, said:

I heard you can use 4 Orders on the last mission to do it and you get the engine part & female crew member for that class, so you don't need to do 1-14 if you don't want to play arty.

Yes, just click on mission 15 and you can complete it for four orders.  But then you have four orders less to use against the next set of missions and the arty missions are pretty easy.

Don't expect to have a win rate or WN8 by playing for the missions though.  If it's assist you are after then aim to splash enemies which your team are already going to kill anyway.  There is no point in helping your team by shooting hull down tanks because you will get no assist from that.  Shoot the idiot who wandered into an ambush but don't damage him, you don't want to do anything remotely useful like that it will take away from your assist.

Coming top is different, for that you need damage and kills.  Splat that 2 health light tank cowering behind a rock.

Coming top and getting damage and assist needs a special combination of a terrible team and an even more terrible enemy team, especially if you also have to win.  A good team will kill everything before you can.  I find this is best done about 2am.

What arties do you have available?

Edited by Homer_J, 06 June 2018 - 03:01 PM.

Suurpolskija #8 Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:13 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18692 battles
  • [URHO] URHO

Get a good arty and play it. A mobile arty is good so you can relocate with the flow of the game. M40/43 or M53/55 are both very nice.

I use premium consumable when I try to get missions.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #9 Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:20 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27494 battles

For top XP you want to maximise assistance over actual damage so stunning/detracking and then mopping up that juicy assistance damage.

For example, don't hit one tank directly if you've got a chance to drop a shell in between two tanks and stun both. Don't just shoot because you have a target, if your team looks about to push then hold the shot and land it as they make their move. It helps them fighting stunned enemies just as much it benefits you getting the stun damage.

etody77 #10 Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 61627 battles
  • [PT-RO] PT-RO

Play english/american arty, with equip, and much hope

someday you will finish that mission

tank276 #11 Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:40 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 48865 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 06 June 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

I am on SPG-7-3, and I have no idea how I will get a top three placing by xp.  SPG-15-3 is even worse, requiring a first place by xp.  If you look at my stats, I have an abysmal average WN8 and WR for SPG as a class, and playing it drags my overall stats down.  I want to complete these campaign missions and I don't want my clicking to hurt my stats so much.  Can you please tell me what to do to improve my clicking?

Dont have much advice to give you man, you just have to play more arty and u will get better.

Never shoot where the enemy is , you have to predict if he goes backwards or forwards and pre aim at the spot.

You can use HE shells to get a better radius for stunning enemies.

Stun the enemies that your team engages at the given moment, not the far away ones your team cannot hit.

Always retreat along with the team if a flank collapses.

Havent played russian or british arty above t6, all 3 other nations are soild ( Germans are accurate, French turreted,fast and good rate of fire, US good splash radius).

And dont mind about WR dropping ,your aim is the mission, once u r there u can play your regular tanks to reach it again.

Rammer, GLD, vents are good, food also if you dont mind the credit bleed.

That is my two cents

edit oh,and smoke more weed , it helps a lot . Kappa

Edited by tank276, 06 June 2018 - 03:44 PM.

Suurpolskija #12 Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:47 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18692 battles
  • [URHO] URHO

View Posttank276, on 06 June 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

Dont have much advice to give you man, you just have to play more arty and u will get better.

Never shoot where the enemy is , you have to predict if he goes backwards or forwards and pre aim at the spot.

You can use HE shells to get a better radius for stunning enemies.

Stun the enemies that your team engages at the given moment, not the far away ones your team cannot hit.

Always retreat along with the team if a flank collapses.

Havent played russian or british arty above t6, all 3 other nations are soild ( Germans are accurate, French turreted,fast and good rate of fire, US good splash radius).

And dont mind about WR dropping ,your aim is the mission, once u r there u can play your regular tanks to reach it again.

Rammer, GLD, vents are good, food also if you dont mind the credit bleed.

That is my two cents

edit oh,and smoke more weed , it helps a lot . Kappa

Because of your avatar, I just can't help reading that in my mind with Texas accent. :D

Sfinski #13 Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:49 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 30857 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-
*edit

Edited by Mlddim, 06 June 2018 - 05:01 PM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to promoting rule violation.

tank276 #14 Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:53 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 48865 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostSuurpolskija, on 06 June 2018 - 02:47 PM, said:

Because of your avatar, I just can't help reading that in my mind with Texas accent. :D

:)

Bexleyheath #15 Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:28 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4246 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Artillery is a class that does nothing except make the game far less enjoyable for other players. The less we all play artillery, the faster WG can remove it from the game. The way of the future is undoubtedly to have it as a very low-damage ability accessible to all players, like in Frontlines.

View PostCoopsjc21, on 06 June 2018 - 02:50 PM, said:

Hear! hear! Best wot advice I've ever heard! All of my 51 games in arty occured before I was aware of this  possibility.

nakkipeppu #16 Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:18 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 30679 battles
  • [LGGF] LGGF

Arty particular maps you struggle with ?

- Always use food.

- Get BIA asap

- Gold HE is kinda waste, carry some for huge clumps and resetting bases, but your goal should be hitting the enemies, and you're putting a strain on your bankroll with food anyway.

- Fuel consumables (+ removed speed governors) are actually useful. If you don't give a crap about credit economy, use prem fuel instead of, dunno, medkit ?

- Rammer, vents, gld. If you can't mount vents, then camo net.

Forget everything you know about arty locations. They're the ones people pick to plant their [edited]into and never expect to move. Instead, tail your main force from 200-300m away and support it, this ;

- Keeps you safer, random scouts that beeline to arty locations won't get you.

- Your gun is more accurate and travel time lower when you're 400-500m from enemy

- You pretty much can nuke ppl from angles they don't expect. This is huge, hit a side of the enemy, and you're likely to deal better damage and track them while at it. Also, you're shooting at targets your teammates are fighting, which results in continuous stun + assist damage piling up.

- Get closer to frontline during cleanup phase. For example, prokhorovka, you should be shooting near middle ridge instead of base.

- If you're at a weaker flank, odds are that eventually you need to spend 2 minutes running from bad guys instead of shooting them. Following your main force usually gives you somebody that screens for you even in defence.

You're relocating much when you play this way, so not very surprisingly, you want mobile arties, preferably with great gun angles. Obviously this doesn't work in many maps, for example, Mines. M44, FV304, GW Panther, M40/43, T6 and T8 frenchies, M53/55, Obj. 261 are some of the best arties per tier. If you only want to play one line, US line got you covered.

I don't claim that this is the best way to play, however, I think it's the most consistent way to be the top xp in your team.

DeadLecter #17 Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:21 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 19712 battles
SPG missions are really easy all you need is tier 9 american arty and a high tier MM plus decent map. I only use that arty for missions 

Long_Range_Sniper #18 Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:29 PM

General

• Player
  • 30487 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 06 June 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

The one time when someone could have actually asked for a replay and they didn't bother.....ironic.

If you've got a replay of a game you think was one where you just struggled to do anything right (accepting RNG will shaft you anyway) then pop it up and I'm sure anyone with reasonable experience of making stun work will help. That might work easier than trying to generically explain how to click (and eat pizza of course).

CircleOfSorrow #19 Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:17 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28819 battles
I think it would be best if I share a few replays of my arty play tomorrow.  I won't be playing until then, so it does have to wait.  If you have experience with arty and want to help, could you please follow the thread until you reply tomorrow.  The stats don't lie, so you will have lots of crappy play to watch.

I am tier 6 with the US and eligible for the tier 7 (poor crew, so training up before transferral), tier 8 with the French and 70k until tier 9, tier 8 with the Brits, and tier 7 with the Russians but eligible for the tier 8 (didn't like the playstyle of the tier 7, so don't want to spend credits on the 8).

fwhaatpiraat #20 Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 45487 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 06 June 2018 - 06:17 PM, said:

I think it would be best if I share a few replays of my arty play tomorrow. I won't be playing until then, so it does have to wait. If you have experience with arty and want to help, could you please follow the thread until you reply tomorrow. The stats don't lie, so you will have lots of crappy play to watch.

I am tier 6 with the US and eligible for the tier 7 (poor crew, so training up before transferral), tier 8 with the French and 70k until tier 9, tier 8 with the Brits, and tier 7 with the Russians but eligible for the tier 8 (didn't like the playstyle of the tier 7, so don't want to spend credits on the 8).

Replays help indeed. Some general tips: ignore targets at 900m or more, don't shoot at fast driving meds or lights. Relocate to a better position after every shot. Move forwards in the end game when hunting the last remaining enemies. Communicate where you are aiming and your reload time. Skilled players will go for spotting. Gl, being top xp is fairly easy compared to some other mission requirements. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users