also Liechtensteiners EFTA

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

arthurwellsley #1 Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:49 PM

Major

• Player
  • 50991 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

If the UK were negotiating to re-join EFTA how is it playing out in the press of the four member countries?

The UK was a founder member of EFTA back in 1960. Does the UK get any traction from being a founder member back then, or has that been forgotten?

Joggaman #2 Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:30 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 22737 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Haven't noticed anything about this in norwegian press...

arthurwellsley #3 Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:54 PM

Major

• Player
  • 50991 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View PostJoggaman, on 06 June 2018 - 04:30 PM, said:

Haven't noticed anything about this in norwegian press...

Your Prime Minister Erna Solberg is in London today to have talks with our Prime Minister Teresa May.

Both female politicians leading right of centre parties>

SiliconSidewinder #4 Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:12 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 27181 battles

well the only time I was in Switzerland and read something about it, that was a while ago mind you, the talk rather went along the lines of the UK beeing to big for the EFTA.

Meaning the UK with it's about 60 million people has about 4 times the population of the EFTA.

Also I kinda wonder why May is even wasting time on this?

Balc0ra #5 Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:20 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 63714 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Postarthurwellsley, on 06 June 2018 - 05:54 PM, said:

Your Prime Minister Erna Solberg is in London today to have talks with our Prime Minister Teresa May.

Both female politicians leading right of centre parties>

I know, but for some reason, most of the Norwegian press feel inclined to ignore today that is. The hotel fire in London seems to be... more interesting to them. The only thing covered today is that Erna did invite May to Norway in October for the Nordic Future Forum. That apparently she said yes to. 

And as I did gather your MP's is voting next week on the so-called "Norway model". As from the news here the past few weeks before today. It seems your House of Commons is eager to say yes to it. Just as our Parlament have shown their support to it. As there, they are really eager to get the UK into their EFTA, EEA. And our Parlament has pointed out many times that UK is a founding member in the news, and it's vital to get them back. Tho I suspect their reason for it is that the UK is the most vital trade nation to Norway. Especially on Gas. 

SGT_Sprocket22 #6 Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:12 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 25409 battles
  • [BULL] BULL

View PostBalc0ra, on 06 June 2018 - 06:20 PM, said:

I know, but for some reason, most of the Norwegian press feel inclined to ignore today that is. The hotel fire in London seems to be... more interesting to them. The only thing covered today is that Erna did invite May to Norway in October for the Nordic Future Forum. That apparently she said yes to. 

And as I did gather your MP's is voting next week on the so-called "Norway model". As from the news here the past few weeks before today. It seems your House of Commons is eager to say yes to it. Just as our Parlament have shown their support to it. As there, they are really eager to get the UK into their EFTA, EEA. And our Parlament has pointed out many times that UK is a founding member in the news, and it's vital to get them back. Tho I suspect their reason for it is that the UK is the most vital trade nation to Norway. Especially on Gas. 

I was not aware that the UK was considered Nordic or does that not matter?

SiliconSidewinder #7 Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:12 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 27181 battles

View PostSGT_Sprocket22, on 06 June 2018 - 08:12 PM, said:

not for a membership in the EFTA ;), which is basically a remnant of a rival organisation of what is today the EU.

View PostBalc0ra, on 06 June 2018 - 07:20 PM, said:

I know, but for some reason, most of the Norwegian press feel inclined to ignore today that is.

well that basically answeres the original question.

I'd assume, as a outsider, the EFTA countries would be much more pleased to negotiate with Britain after it has sorted out it's stuff with the EU, which seems to be the smart move.

No need to get tangled in that whole mess anymore than one has to.

arthurwellsley #8 Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:19 PM

Major

• Player
  • 50991 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View PostSGT_Sprocket22, on 06 June 2018 - 07:12 PM, said:

EFTA membership does not require being Nordic.

Is the UK Nordic? Interesting point. York still had the Viking centre. William the Conqueror and many of his supporters were Viking descendants and hence Nordic. How much Nordic is in the UK gene pool?

SGT_Sprocket22 #9 Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:56 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 25409 battles
  • [BULL] BULL

View Postarthurwellsley, on 07 June 2018 - 11:19 AM, said:

EFTA membership does not require being Nordic.

Is the UK Nordic? Interesting point. York still had the Viking centre. William the Conqueror and many of his supporters were Viking descendants and hence Nordic. How much Nordic is in the UK gene pool?

​Well, considering much of England was once known as Danelaw, I would say quite a bit. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users