map awareness

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

PhartyBoy #1 Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:36 PM

Private

• Player
  • 481 battles

hi

wanted to know if there is way to play a map alone?

i dont want to go sightseeing in the middle of the battle to learn that map and i dont have friends in game to do team battles so what can i can do?

Lycopersicon #2 Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:55 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10610 battles

Not alone, you need at least one other player to create a training room. WG servers have to run each battle, training or real; that's a huge pile of data to handle, and they don't fancy tens of thousands of players each running his own "battle" alone.

You can join an existing training room, but it will contain random people who will probably shoot you. But you can try; I have managed to convince other people in a training room that I only wanted to explore, and they left me alone.

I would be happy to come exploring with you, but I'm out of town for a few days, with barely working internet and only my fieldwork laptop that doesn't have the game installed.

Edited by Lycopersicon, 06 June 2018 - 06:57 PM.

SilentGaze #3 Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:19 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 781 battles

View PostPhartyBoy, on 06 June 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

hi

i dont want to go sightseeing in the middle of the battle to learn that map and i dont have friends in game to do team battles so what can i can do?

There is one way to move around maps.  There is an mod in Aslains mod pack, which allows you to freely move around in map in replayfile.  I've used it to look places in maps I've not yet played.  (That mod don't allow you to freely move in games, it is illegal to do so)

Bordhaw #4 Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:32 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 11321 battles

View PostPhartyBoy, on 06 June 2018 - 05:36 PM, said:

hi

Go on the test server or join a training room. 

Merton15 #5 Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:28 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13857 battles
Take a couple of minutes at the end of a game. See who has done well and think what positions they were fighting from. Next time you have the same map and a similar tank, go there and try it out. You may find the strategy is flawed, but you will know next time and 50%+ of your team will have no strategy anyway.

HeidenSieker #6 Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:19 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostPhartyBoy, on 06 June 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

Install the game on another machine. Open another WoT account. Invite your alter ego to play in a training room.

Lycopersicon #7 Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:03 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10610 battles

View PostSilentGaze, on 06 June 2018 - 08:19 PM, said:

There is one way to move around maps.  There is an mod in Aslains mod pack, which allows you to freely move around in map in replayfile.  I've used it to look places in maps I've not yet played.  (That mod don't allow you to freely move in games, it is illegal to do so)

View PostHeidenSieker, on 07 June 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

Install the game on another machine. Open another WoT account. Invite your alter ego to play in a training room.

Some really good solutions for a misanthrope :great: Admittedly, the former didn't even occur to me.

Gremlin182 #8 Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:36 PM

General

• Player
  • 47870 battles

if you cannot get a friend to team up to check out maps there are a number of map guides on youtube.

Guy called Dauntless was doing a series about that.

Watching the team after getting knocked out is good too especially when you see someone playing the same tank you were

Babbet_1 #9 Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10825 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostHeidenSieker, on 07 June 2018 - 11:19 AM, said:

Yes, that works fine. Just a bit tedious installing updates on 2 machines, especially with a mediocre broadband connection like mine.

One big advantage for arty players though - you can kill yourself any number of times without penalty or incurring the wrath of team mates!  :harp:

Lycopersicon #10 Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:03 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10610 battles

View PostHeidenSieker, on 07 June 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

Actually, it would be cool if some knowledgable person could swear that this is legal and doesn't get your account banned. Please don't say "read the rules", only well-payed lawyers can dig into the obscure corners of all those bloated EULAs and whatever other documents come with them. Casually searching for some possibly relevant words in the documents didn't give any results to me, but my gut feeling says that there must be a caveat somewhere that forbids this trick.

Edited by Lycopersicon, 07 June 2018 - 07:07 PM.

Bordhaw #11 Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:40 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 11321 battles

View PostLycopersicon, on 07 June 2018 - 06:03 PM, said:

Actually, it would be cool if some knowledgable person could swear that this is legal and doesn't get your account banned. Please don't say "read the rules", only well-payed lawyers can dig into the obscure corners of all those bloated EULAs and whatever other documents come with them. Casually searching for some possibly relevant words in the documents didn't give any results to me, but my gut feeling says that there must be a caveat somewhere that forbids this trick.

How do you think certain YouTubers manage to make their guides and mechanics videos. 

HeidenSieker #12 Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:00 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostLycopersicon, on 07 June 2018 - 07:03 PM, said:

Multiple accounts are OK, for starters.

Whether it's aginst the rules to play with oneself in training rooms?

Well, "You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment".

cellaman7 #13 Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:34 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34056 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Just do it the hard way like most of us did and just keep playing the maps. After the recent patches, some maps have changed that much even I don't recognise them.

Most youtube vids are out of date now so as suggested earlier. If you get killed, stay in game and watch your team mates to help learn the maps.

Babbet_1 #14 Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10825 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostHeidenSieker, on 07 June 2018 - 09:00 PM, said:

Whether it's aginst the rules to play with oneself in training rooms?

I must say I never needed a training room to learn how to play with myself. Could do with a refresher course now though!  :sceptic:

And a session on how to find myself would be even more useful!  :)

Edited by Babbet_1, 07 June 2018 - 11:01 PM.

HeidenSieker #15 Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:05 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles
(deleted)

View Postcellaman7, on 07 June 2018 - 10:34 PM, said:

Just do it the hard way like most of us did and just keep playing the maps. After the recent patches, some maps have changed that much even I don't recognise them.

Most youtube vids are out of date now so as suggested earlier. If you get killed, stay in game and watch your team mates to help learn the maps.

Yes. Replays are good, too (wotreplays.com). Use "find replay", "Maps" & pick the map you want. Then pick "Tanks" and select an appropriate-tier SPG. Then watch the replay. When the SPG you've picked goes into top-down view, press "space bar" to pause the game, and you can look around the whole map to see what's what. A bit one-dimensional, but of some use.

View PostBabbet_1, on 07 June 2018 - 10:58 PM, said:

I must say I never needed a training room to learn how to play with myself. Could do with a refresher course now though!  :sceptic:

And a session on how to find myself would be even more useful!  :)

Thank goodness for your post. I had a sinking feeling there; that smut and innuendo are no longer appreciated, or even known about.

I'm glad it's not so. Titter ye not!

Edited by xxTANK_Uxx, 08 June 2018 - 12:32 PM.

Babbet_1 #16 Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10825 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostHeidenSieker, on 07 June 2018 - 11:15 PM, said:

Thank goodness for your post. I had a sinking feeling there; that smut and innuendo are no longer appreciated, or even known about.

I'm glad it's not so. Titter ye not!

Ah, Smut and Innuendo, I remember them! - they always went down well at the Glasgow Empire!  :teethhappy:

Baldrickk #17 Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:57 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29909 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View PostLycopersicon, on 07 June 2018 - 07:03 PM, said:

It's perfectly legal.

I've even run multiple instances of WOT on the same PC before... but not playing multiple accounts at once in live games - that is banned.

I was instead watching replays while waiting for tanks to return to the garage.

Lycopersicon #18 Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:11 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10610 battles

View PostBaldrickk, on 08 June 2018 - 01:57 AM, said:

It's perfectly legal.

I've even run multiple instances of WOT on the same PC before... but not playing multiple accounts at once in live games - that is banned.

Multiple accounts per se are clearly not an assue, at least in practice. However, I can imagine some well-hidden rule that forbids related accounts from attempting to enter the same battle by other means than forming a platoon, and such rule automatically extending to training room.

An old discussion on the same topic here doesn't seem to have reached any conclusion.

Can you please put my nose into the text that states that playing multiple accounts at once in live games is prohibited? I suppose the exact wording of that rule should answer my concerns either way.

Edited by Lycopersicon, 08 June 2018 - 07:19 AM.

Gremlin182 #19 Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:17 AM

General

• Player
  • 47870 battles

I found a couple of threads about this going back to 2015 and although players commented that it was fine there was no input from WG.

Babbet_1 #20 Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:42 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10825 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBaldrickk, on 08 June 2018 - 12:57 AM, said:

It's perfectly legal.

Jeez! I have enough trouble playing one account at once, let alone 2! I know people who are ambidextrous, but you'd need to be ambipedstrous as well! And what happens when your right hand and left foot try to hit the 2 key at the same time? That would be interesting to see!  :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users