World of Tanks - Mercenaries (Coming to a PC near you soon?)

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Long_Range_Sniper #1 Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:33 PM

General

• Player
  • 32546 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Wargaming have just announced their PvE update to WoT consoles, and called it "Mercenaries".

https://console.worl...ts/mercenaries/

Cut paste summary from another news source to give you an idea.

World of Tanks: Mercenaries introduces a brand new Mercenaries “nation” and a full tech tree of never-before-seen combat vehicles, giving players access to a fascinating armada of powerful tanks, helmed by unique Mercenary crews. The new suite of tanks in World of Tanks: Mercenaries are comprised of parts scavenged from vehicles from different nations, becoming original war machines tailored to the traits and needs of the new Mercenary characters. Five vehicles will be available at launch, and as their notoriety across the world’s changed landscape grows, so too will the Mercenary nation over the coming months.

Players can immerse themselves in the alternative history setting of World of Tanks: Mercenaries by taking on the riveting new PvE story campaign, The Heist. This action-packed tale of espionage follows a motley crew of Mercenaries contracted to set up, execute and escape from a raid on a secret war facility. Their mission is to steal nuclear material for a client who harbors his own atomic ambitions, but the crew soon finds itself at the mercy of the combined powers of the United States and the Soviet Union. Players can expect adrenaline-fueled tank battles as they tackle this story alone – like a true Mercenary – or band together with friends for co-operative online multiplayer action!

In addition to the new story campaign, the Mercenaries will have a far-reaching impact across the entire game, with the addition of new maps to Multiplayer battles. Players can expect to explore and fight through an array of fan-favorite maps ravaged by war and time, with original Mercenary vehicles available to battle with or against the game’s existing roster of over 680 vehicles.

World of Tanks: Mercenaries is the future of World of Tanks on home consoles. Expect more electrifying Mercenaries content in the future, with frequent post-release updates.

Is this the case of seeing the future for the PC version, or something we don't need or want?

jabster #2 Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:42 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12537 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 06 June 2018 - 07:33 PM, said

Is this the case of seeing the future for the PC version, or something we don't need or want?

My guess is both.

psychobear #3 Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:44 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18975 battles
  • [7EVEN] 7EVEN
@LRS, I'd love to see something like that on the PC version. :honoring:

DuncaN_101 #4 Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:50 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53219 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
It's a bit late for an April fools joke...

Balc0ra #5 Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:51 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66256 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Well considering the PVE stuff. Inc the war stories have yet to appear on PC. I would not expect it anytime soon. As most of the console stuff like this never do appear on PC. 

Tho most of the other stuff has been limited to console by Dark Horse comincs more so then by WG. 

Simeon85 #6 Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:09 AM

Major

• Player
  • 1097 battles

I'd guess one of the main worries for a PvE mode is how many players it would draw away from the main modes, especially on the lower pop servers.

Though I've always thought a PvE mode a la AW or WOWs with lower XP/credits where people just fight bots, with then special mission scenarios popping up each week like they have in WOWs might actually improve the gameplay in randoms as it will pull away a lot of the bad players I reckon. 

arthurwellsley #7 Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:44 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 51737 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

The problem with PvE mode in a PvP game is balance. World of Warcraft really struggled with this issue at the beginning. I still remember rolling out of end game raids in top tier PvE armour and weapons into the PvP modes and dominating. Blizzard had to make allot of changes to mechanics to make the balance between PvE and PvP work.

I fear that WG would need to spend allot of time and resources to balance PvE and PvP. I would guess console and tablet balance is very different from the PC version of World of Tanks. I would have thought on PC that due to balance difficulties PvE will only happen in low tier education modes, and in special occasional modes.

Personally I would rather see an occasional limited period of an historical battle. But we all know from past experience that WG has struggled to balance historical modes.

Having said all of the above WG did a good job with Frontline mode on the whole.

Edited by arthurwellsley, 07 June 2018 - 09:45 AM.

NoobySkooby #8 Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:07 AM

Major

• Player
  • 12964 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB
Will these mercenaries be equipped with any special tanks, namely the nameless and the edelweiss?

Dava_117 #9 Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:11 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19424 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostNoobySkooby, on 07 June 2018 - 11:07 AM, said:

Will these mercenaries be equipped with any special tanks, namely the nameless and the edelweiss?

Don't think so. The quote said scavenged components put togheder, so I guess you may find something like a T-34 hull with panther tracks and a Sherman Jumbo turret with derp...

Edited by Dava_117, 07 June 2018 - 11:12 AM.

Balc0ra #10 Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:22 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66256 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Postarthurwellsley, on 07 June 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

The problem with PvE mode in a PvP game is balance. World of Warcraft really struggled with this issue at the beginning. I still remember rolling out of end game raids in top tier PvE armour and weapons into the PvP modes and dominating. Blizzard had to make allot of changes to mechanics to make the balance between PvE and PvP work.

Well... tanks is one thing. But the AI, inc their armor and damage is based on difficulty. And so far the tanks you have unlocked from PVE is basically skinned versions of current tanks for use in PVP. As in you can buy it. Here it seems to be hybrid tanks. Like the Hellcat turret on a Easy 8 etc. And I doubt the Jumbo with a Jackson Turret will dominate as much as the stock turret setup with derp many use. It's not mentioned anywhere that these will work on PVP. But then again their... balance and approach of late is a bit different vs PC. They still have the WT auf E100 in the tech tree with the Grille 15 etc. And they have night battles and maps with snow storms etc. And all tanks have tracers that are 50% more visible on those maps. And they are still visible when not spotted to name a few. So blind fire counter is easy there with no need for a hit direction indicator. So vs PC... there are many differences that throws that off as is anyway. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 07 June 2018 - 11:24 AM.

Search_Warrant #11 Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:30 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 27190 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Cant slate it till we see something from it, im sceptical but it seems worth seeing if its any fun.

Edited by Search_Warrant, 07 June 2018 - 11:30 AM.

Shaade_Silentpaw #12 Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:52 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22619 battles

Never gonna happen.

The amount of PC players whining about historical accuracy would just be unreal - even if they did keep it completely separate from PvP.

vixu #13 Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:58 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 42555 battles
sounds like it is not a free to play thing. I was hoping for a solo content in the WoT, but seems that WG took a different road - monetizing on console markets.

Dorander #14 Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:27 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18143 battles
Did anyone else read the "The new suite of tanks in World of Tanks: Mercenaries are comprised of parts scavenged from vehicles from different nations, becoming original war machines tailored to the traits and needs of the new Mercenary characters." line and just envisioned a "World of Tanks: Mad Max" version?

gunslingerXXX #15 Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:31 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11027 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

I'm up for a change. Started playing fun tanks mostly instead of grinds... but when your teams are as stupid as they are this afternoon, even fun tanks suck to play.

Kuraikage #16 Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:43 PM

Major

• Player
  • 1010 battles

View PostDava_117, on 07 June 2018 - 10:11 AM, said:

Don't think so. The quote said scavenged components put togheder, so I guess you may find something like a T-34 hull with panther tracks and a Sherman Jumbo turret with derp...

Or just something like

Spoiler

Yes that is an IS-2 hull with a T29 stock turret with the Tiger I mantlet and 8.8cm L/56.

ThinGun #17 Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34974 battles
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO
It would be fairly awesome to have the customisable tank option in the standard game, maybe?  The idea of being able to componentise your vehicle from a range of different vehicles to produce something that (could be) the best of all nations ...It's only a case of applying the operational parameters of each component to the whole .. the code base already exists, all that's needed is to allow different selections.

CptBarney #18 Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:45 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 18996 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--

if wargaming where to create two file sets for all tanks then balance for pve and pvp would be easy since all they have to do is change the relevant file for example object_260_PVE.whatever then change the stats for those.

unless they release it as a seperate game entirely but i doubt it.

hope they get a seperate team as well otherwise it will eat up into production and maintenace for world of tanks.

i like the ability to create franken tanks then. i would probably scream myself with laughter putting a kv-4 turret on that tiny amx tank

Balc0ra #19 Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:52 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66256 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostShaade_Silentpaw, on 07 June 2018 - 03:52 PM, said:

Never gonna happen.

The amount of PC players whining about historical accuracy would just be unreal - even if they did keep it completely separate from PvP.

Considering how they have promoted it, and what they did say at the end. As in "the future of World of tanks on home consoles". I'm willing to bet that WG CB pulled the same strings to get it to say on consoles. As they do with most stuff they make on their own. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 07 June 2018 - 04:53 PM.

Kuraikage #20 Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:56 PM

Major

• Player
  • 1010 battles

View PostThinGun, on 07 June 2018 - 03:45 PM, said:

It would be fairly awesome to have the customisable tank option in the standard game, maybe?  The idea of being able to componentise your vehicle from a range of different vehicles to produce something that (could be) the best of all nations ...It's only a case of applying the operational parameters of each component to the whole .. the code base already exists, all that's needed is to allow different selections.

View PostCptBarney, on 07 June 2018 - 03:45 PM, said:

i like the ability to create franken tanks then. i would probably scream myself with laughter putting a kv-4 turret on that tiny amx tank

It seems as if this has been misunderstood.

You aren't gaining the ability to create frankentanks nor customise your tanks in that way of taking a turret from one tank and putting it on a different tank, with a different gun entirely.

But that they've already decided which tanks to do that with, what they'll look like which makes it seem as if you wont be able to modify their looks. The only thing you'll be able to do is either buy them right off the bat, or grind out the ability to buy them with Silver.

The whole PvE aspect from War Stories, well let's just say it's an utterly dull game mode and it has not helped at all that when players found it possible to reliably earn 50k or more Silver daily in said mode by stacking all the Silver Ops and so on, they actually nerfed said earnings. War Stories has been nothing but a sink of resources that has cost the rest of the game dearly.

View PostBalc0ra, on 07 June 2018 - 10:22 AM, said:

Well... tanks is one thing. But the AI, inc their armor and damage is based on difficulty. And so far the tanks you have unlocked from PVE is basically skinned versions of current tanks for use in PVP. As in you can buy it. Here it seems to be hybrid tanks. Like the Hellcat turret on a Easy 8 etc. And I doubt the Jumbo with a Jackson Turret will dominate as much as the stock turret setup with derp many use. It's not mentioned anywhere that these will work on PVP. But then again their... balance and approach of late is a bit different vs PC. They still have the WT auf E100 in the tech tree with the Grille 15 etc. And they have night battles and maps with snow storms etc. And all tanks have tracers that are 50% more visible on those maps. And they are still visible when not spotted to name a few. So blind fire counter is easy there with no need for a hit direction indicator. So vs PC... there are many differences that throws that off as is anyway. 

It isn't based on difficulty, just tier.

But the AI for them is god awful and only ever becomes 'difficult' if you bust out an E 100 and then have to try to deal with 5 Maus that have cruise controlled onto the cap circle and then shut down. With the WS Exclusives being a min/max case of either atrocious tanks that don't handle the mode well and then tanks that had their stats boosted to be OP as hell for using against the AI. Both the Sherman ones are E4 Hulls, from the god awful M4A2E4/Ripper at Tier V, just one has a Hellcat turret and the other a Pershing turret.

The Weather variants that aren't just reskins are some of the worst additions to the game and have actually had to be relegated to Tier VIII-X only, while the Night battles are as dark as wearing sunglasses on a sunny day.

Edited by Kuraikage, 07 June 2018 - 05:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users