• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

German_Dunc #1 Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:08 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35863 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

POPULAR

Well chaps, I reckon that's me lot - 7 years, 36k games, 104 premium tanks, and I think I've reached the end of the line with this game now. We all know what's broken and what could be done, not that WG ever listen, but my two observations on what's mostly pushed me over the edge;

1) 3/5/7 - not the normal matchmaker whine, but the fact that the system almost guarantees platooning with your mates will put you bottom tier unless you're either seal clubbing, tier X, or mixing tank types in a platoon.

2) Standard of play - the dumbing down has had some effect on this, but I rather suspect it's more that a large majority of the decent players have left, leaving just newbies, bots, and total morons. I don't use XVM - don't need to these days - but had a run of five games on Monday evening where of the 145 other players at VIII/IX only 6 had over 49% WR, over 100 were under 45%. Equals short games, invariably won by the team that does the less stupid.

Those two things alone have pushed this game for me from being enjoyable pastime to being an exercise in frustration management

Edited by German_Dunc, 06 June 2018 - 09:09 PM.

an0ther #2 Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:09 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31100 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Hit me up with a toon when you come back. :) 

Edited by an0ther, 06 June 2018 - 09:10 PM.

DuncaN_101 #3 Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:11 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 52175 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
Sad to see you go mate.
Don't be a stranger tho.

Tankyouverymuch2 #4 Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28655 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

More and more of these threads appearing by the day...including one of mine...

When will WG take a hint and do something?

unrealname #5 Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:15 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20937 battles
  • [TAKE] TAKE

well i was thinking the same as you a few years ago and i quit for quite some time, for me the main reason was that i actually got sick of wg buffing and nerfing tanks all the freaking time. New tech tree line introduced - tier 10 is OP for a patch or two, everyone spends free xp on them and then they get nerfed into ground and that freakin cycle was repeating over and over again. well now there is a bit different problem, that some tanks are just way too OP and they are not going to be nerfed significantly anyway. But to be honest i rather take that approach, than trying to grind for the best tank every few months and then end up with getting something completely different then it was before.

oh yes almost forgot, about the matchmaker - yes its not great as it is now, but for me it felt like it was even worse before - ending up being the only bottom tier tank in a whole match wasnt a great thing either ;)

Anyway, gl mate, its your decision, hopefully everything works out for you, whatever your plans are.

Edited by unrealname, 06 June 2018 - 09:17 PM.

Ceeb #6 Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:24 PM

Major General

• Beta Tester
  • 30073 battles
I hear ya OP. Best decision decision I've made.  

Makes me sad the good people are giving up.  But the dark side in me makes me smile.

There are other games bud.  

BravelyRanAway #7 Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:25 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 22217 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostGerman_Dunc, on 06 June 2018 - 08:08 PM, said:

but I rather suspect it's more that a large majority of the decent players have left, leaving just newbies, bots, and total morons.

Don't be so hard on yourself or the rest of your clan that's staying.

axell92108 #8 Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:26 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 887 battles

View PostTankyouverymuch2, on 06 June 2018 - 08:14 PM, said:

If we look at how they handled the NA server, probably when it becomes too late. 

Aikl #9 Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:29 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25150 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Sad to see you go, Dunc. One less reason to return to WoT for me as well.

View PostTankyouverymuch2, on 06 June 2018 - 08:14 PM, said:

It's working as intended.

Much easier to tailor a RNG-based on-rails experience for 'casual' 45-49% players than it is to make a tactical shooter that is interesting and fun for casual and more competitive players.

WoT's kind of stale after some years. Nothing new, and nothing really improves either. Some argue it's natural that old players quit, but apparently people playing WoT only get bored of the game after several thousand hours played. Smells funny to me.

axell92108 #10 Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:32 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 887 battles

View PostAikl, on 06 June 2018 - 08:29 PM, said:

Sad to see you go, Dunc. One less reason to return to WoT for me as well.

It's working as intended.

Much easier to tailor a RNG-based on-rails experience for 'casual' 45-49% players than it is to make a tactical shooter that is interesting and fun for casual and more competitive players.

WoT's kind of stale after some years. Nothing new, and nothing really improves either. Some argue it's natural that old players quit, but apparently people playing WoT only get bored of the game after several thousand hours played. Smells funny to me.

No one gets bored of the game. People get bored of getting stomped on all the time. (be it mm, rng, losing streaks, trolls in teams, bots)

truoste #11 Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36807 battles

View PostGerman_Dunc, on 06 June 2018 - 08:08 PM, said:

Well chaps, I reckon that's me lot - 7 years, 36k games, 104 premium tanks, and I think I've reached the end of the line with this game now. We all know what's broken and what could be done, not that WG ever listen, but my two observations on what's mostly pushed me over the edge;

1) 3/5/7 - not the normal matchmaker whine, but the fact that the system almost guarantees platooning with your mates will put you bottom tier unless you're either seal clubbing, tier X, or mixing tank types in a platoon.

2) Standard of play - the dumbing down has had some effect on this, but I rather suspect it's more that a large majority of the decent players have left, leaving just newbies, bots, and total morons. I don't use XVM - don't need to these days - but had a run of five games on Monday evening where of the 145 other players at VIII/IX only 6 had over 49% WR, over 100 were under 45%. Equals short games, invariably won by the team that does the less stupid.

Those two things alone have pushed this game for me from being enjoyable pastime to being an exercise in frustration management

Cannot really blame you. I have not much more to left than grinding shitbarn and spamming the living crap out of peoples hopes and dreams with that thing and when that gets boring, i think i can find the door. Only thing keeping the game even moderately enjoyable is hightier tanks that are not shafted by mm that hard but those are fucked by v4s and types and arties so there is that. I cannot think of how new players can find being constant bottom tier with their ghetto crews and stock tanks very much fun... but I presume WG knows what they are doing and business is booming.  

TANKOPPRESSION #12 Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:34 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 40236 battles

View Postaxell92108, on 06 June 2018 - 08:32 PM, said:

No one gets bored of the game. People get bored of getting stomped on all the time. (be it mm, rng, losing streaks, trolls in teams, bots)

yep looseing is no fun .

Ceeb #13 Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:36 PM

Major General

• Beta Tester
  • 30073 battles

Oh I'm very bored.  7years of one game.  Seeing WG learning from SOE school of how to run an online game.  Game will be sold to Cryptic or Daybreak.  

I'm calling it.  

Long_Range_Sniper #14 Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:39 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 29825 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostBravelyRanAway, on 06 June 2018 - 08:25 PM, said:

Don't be so hard on yourself or the rest of your clan that's staying.

I've had a good chat to Dunc tonight, and we were tooning together, up to the point I said "I've had enough, 30 min break!".

Playing the Standard B and the Cent 7/1 we were exposed in a few games to all the current problems with the game. 

• The credit/XP booster system that has now backfired on WG and boosted too many players to higher tiers who literally can't do basic things. No doubt they enjoy the game, and have fun, etc etc etc. But the whole point of a progressive, tier based system is to encourage a higher standard of gameplay at higher tiers. For months now I've seen such a similar standard of play at tier IX in comparison to tier VI that there really isn't any point of playing higher tiers for gameplay.
  • The lack of any meaningful team competitive mode
  • 3/5/7....and a garage full of tier 8 premium tanks that are now fillers for tier IX/X games.
  • Jap heavies and the creation of as many tanks as possible that require little more than the W key.

I cope by taking a break, but I hop around the tiers, and play different classes as well to try and inject some variety and beat WG's attempt to ruin their own game which I still enjoy.

They do seem utterly, willfully deaf and blind to feedback.

This isn't just a subjective gripe either. Take a look over the course of a few weeks and look and see how many of the WG staff posts on the forum home page are in the English speaking section. Virtually none. 

EU may not be their biggest customer, but the English speaking part of the forum gets the most "customer" hits, and WG invest the least in customer engagement here than anywhere else. 

I hope with Dunc it's more like James Bond and "Never say never again", but that will require the evil genius running WG to fall into a pool of sharks first.

HeidenSieker #15 Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:41 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostGerman_Dunc, on 06 June 2018 - 09:08 PM, said:

Ah. Another plug for a skill-based MM.

When you know you have to stpo, you have to stpo. No getting away from it. Oh well.

Still. Going to stay to improve the forums, hm? I soap ho.

Coopsjc21 #16 Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:51 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8362 battles

VarzA #17 Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17916 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

View PostTankyouverymuch2, on 06 June 2018 - 09:14 PM, said:

They got our money, so probably never.

Consett_Steel #18 Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17281 battles
No offence to the people I refer to, but reading this thread I wonder why are the forums so much harder to quit than the game itself?

Tankyouverymuch2 #19 Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28655 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostConsett_Steel, on 06 June 2018 - 10:07 PM, said:

No offence to the people I refer to, but reading this thread I wonder why are the forums so much harder to quit than the game itself?

I'm not gonna lie, I don't communicate with people outside the internet. :hiding: I'm a quiet person IRL, but I can relax more when online.

Aikl #20 Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:11 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25150 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Some probably do get bored. WoT is not a good game to get into if you crave change. I don't see how you could argue that a game that barely changes (and often for the worse) would be impossible to get bored of. To some extent you have a point, though. If you play WoT for five thousand hours, the reason you quit is unlikely to be that you're tired of shooting at tanks.

I've been thinking a bit about what made me quit (or take a break). There's little to gain from being good at WoT. The game itself has become less rewarding to play, hence winning or losing matters a lot more. Not particularly good when there are fourteen other players on a team. Even worse when matchmaker is set up like it is nowadays. Statistics suggests why 3-5-7 is a terrible idea (less top-tiers has a higher potential to skew a match).

Simple psychology suggests why 3-5-7 is a good thing for casual players and really uninteresting for more competitive ones.

Casual players are inherently more suspectible to get a good experience when rewarded even if it is due to things outside of their control (RNG, matchmaker). Luck is fun when it brings unlikely results.

Competitive players have the means to achieve success for themselves. They don't really need the random/luck elements, or even want them. They can still be accepted. WoT players are generally forced to. However, if the random/luck is a major element in practically all of even the competitive players' successes, it detracts from the experience of it. I can't easily convince myself that a good round of WoT was due to my own abilities. Luck is not particularly fun if it only can bring expected results.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users