Are light tanks still fun to play? Is it just me?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

PowJay #1 Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:38 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34938 battles

Anyone who knows what I am up to and ever checks my stats can't help but notice that I am trying hard for Personal Missions and that the AMX 13 90 is my most-played vehicle as a result.

At tier VIII with a six round magazine, this thing was a beast. While I never really had or maintained a positive win rate in it, it was- and still is- my most capable LT for any mission. I have completed the first 44 LT missions and I am trying to complete number 45 and get my Orders back. Trying is the correct word. VERY, VERY trying.

I have never pretended to be the best player on WoT. I know that. I am certainly NOT the best LT player by several miles, but I can have good and enjoyable battles in the AMX 13 90. My damage record is 3,533. My spotting record is somewhere in the 6,000 HP region as I have the Spotter ribbon. It could be better- of course, but these are my observations based on about 70-80 battles recently that have totally failed to get me my 7,000 damage/assist for LT-15-3

Maps. Of course. The bulk of this mission is going to come from spotting damage. It is only three to four high-tier enemy seriously damaged/destroyed. It should be a doddle, but it is not happening on Paris, Fjords, Himmelsdorf, Ruinberg and any other map that does not allow adequate passive- or safe active- spotting AND allow my allies to hit what I spot with consistency.

Team make up. I don't mean idiots- at least not yet. I mean that in some battles I have had four LTs on my team and frequently have three. This means that all of us are (or should be trying to do) spotting and taking away HP from each other. Of course, four LTs means less HTs, TDs and SPGs to do the damage in the first place.

NOW, I mean idiots. How can you get a spotting mission where no-one hits- or even shoots at- what you find? Just now on Westfield, I took the centre ridge/slope which normally allows me to highlight targets to the east and west. Unfortunately, by eastern allies were too busy dying to hit anything, and despite finding a tier IX HT and TD as well as probably some miscellaneous shared spotting, I came away with something like 400 HP spotting.

And finally- on the subject of idiots again: A good LT can help win a match, but can rarely prevent a loss. I have now played seven AMX 13 90 matches this afternoon and lost six. 5<15, 1<15, 4<15, 5<15, 3<15 and 9<15. There is NO chance of doing anything much with teams like that. The win was the exact opposite 15>5 and the game went so fast that after my initial spot of three tanks for 3359 damage, the rest of the battle was virtual stagnation for me as my allies just over-ran the enemy. Total 4,400 spotting/gun damage.

The closest I have been in the last month- and particularly the last week- is 6,600 total damage on Prokhorovka, but equally, I have died in a hail of shellfire for zero damage and zero assist on that map. On one Malinovka match I was mainly screwed over at K3 by the joint fact that most of the enemy had left the base, and at least one of my allies was self spotting. I had 459 HP damage from that corner of the map.

Just like SPGs, I would not be playing LTs at all, were it not for PMs. The worst part is that I know that I can do it. If I didn't think that I could, then I wouldn't bother. That Prok' match came down to one more good hit from an allied TD and I would have had my 7K, but for all the reasons outlined above, playing the AMX 13 90 both as a light tank and for PMs is becoming too painful to bear.

pecopad #2 Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:51 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22402 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

...T71DA..... and WZ 131, the joy of playing lights

Type 64 is also good to get the joy back

Edited by pecopad, 08 June 2018 - 04:58 PM.

PowJay #3 Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:01 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34938 battles

The T71 DA is one of my best LTs with 57% WR from 213 battles, but at tier VII, I don't believe that it has the potential for this Personal Mission. Maybe when it saw tier X like everything else, but not now (so much) and certainly not in the circumstances outlined above.

tank276 #4 Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:17 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 48872 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostPowJay, on 08 June 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

Anyone who knows what I am up to and ever checks my stats can't help but notice that I am trying hard for Personal Missions and that the AMX 13 90 is my most-played vehicle as a result.

At tier VIII with a six round magazine, this thing was a beast. While I never really had or maintained a positive win rate in it, it was- and still is- my most capable LT for any mission. I have completed the first 44 LT missions and I am trying to complete number 45 and get my Orders back. Trying is the correct word. VERY, VERY trying.

I have never pretended to be the best player on WoT. I know that. I am certainly NOT the best LT player by several miles, but I can have good and enjoyable battles in the AMX 13 90. My damage record is 3,533. My spotting record is somewhere in the 6,000 HP region as I have the Spotter ribbon. It could be better- of course, but these are my observations based on about 70-80 battles recently that have totally failed to get me my 7,000 damage/assist for LT-15-3

Maps. Of course. The bulk of this mission is going to come from spotting damage. It is only three to four high-tier enemy seriously damaged/destroyed. It should be a doddle, but it is not happening on Paris, Fjords, Himmelsdorf, Ruinberg and any other map that does not allow adequate passive- or safe active- spotting AND allow my allies to hit what I spot with consistency.

Team make up. I don't mean idiots- at least not yet. I mean that in some battles I have had four LTs on my team and frequently have three. This means that all of us are (or should be trying to do) spotting and taking away HP from each other. Of course, four LTs means less HTs, TDs and SPGs to do the damage in the first place.

NOW, I mean idiots. How can you get a spotting mission where no-one hits- or even shoots at- what you find? Just now on Westfield, I took the centre ridge/slope which normally allows me to highlight targets to the east and west. Unfortunately, by eastern allies were too busy dying to hit anything, and despite finding a tier IX HT and TD as well as probably some miscellaneous shared spotting, I came away with something like 400 HP spotting.

And finally- on the subject of idiots again: A good LT can help win a match, but can rarely prevent a loss. I have now played seven AMX 13 90 matches this afternoon and lost six. 5<15, 1<15, 4<15, 5<15, 3<15 and 9<15. There is NO chance of doing anything much with teams like that. The win was the exact opposite 15>5 and the game went so fast that after my initial spot of three tanks for 3359 damage, the rest of the battle was virtual stagnation for me as my allies just over-ran the enemy. Total 4,400 spotting/gun damage.

The closest I have been in the last month- and particularly the last week- is 6,600 total damage on Prokhorovka, but equally, I have died in a hail of shellfire for zero damage and zero assist on that map. On one Malinovka match I was mainly screwed over at K3 by the joint fact that most of the enemy had left the base, and at least one of my allies was self spotting. I had 459 HP damage from that corner of the map.

Just like SPGs, I would not be playing LTs at all, were it not for PMs. The worst part is that I know that I can do it. If I didn't think that I could, then I wouldn't bother. That Prok' match came down to one more good hit from an allied TD and I would have had my 7K, but for all the reasons outlined above, playing the AMX 13 90 both as a light tank and for PMs is becoming too painful to bear.

They are fun to play,just stay at tier 7 and below. Tier 8 is the point IMO that lights become a tad weak, 9 and 10 are even worse tier for tier.

PowJay #5 Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:31 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34938 battles

View Posttank276, on 08 June 2018 - 04:17 PM, said:

They are fun to play,just stay at tier 7 and below. Tier 8 is the point IMO that lights become a tad weak, 9 and 10 are even worse tier for tier.

That is the trouble. I used to own the LTTB and Bulldog before the big LT [edited]up. I kept the B-C 12 t and played it recently. Then sold that as well. I currently own only the T71 DA, AMX 13 75 and AMX 13 90 and the first two have had- and always have had- positive win rates. The AMX 13 90 has always been a bit of a pain.

I am not terrible in it. I played enough to enter the Hall of Fame the other day. I was ranked 159. My MoE has been just above/below 65% so again- not terrible- but just can't actually consistently carry a game forward.

Maybe I will park it up and give the tier VII a try, but neither are as capable with view range and gun damage to get those high scores.

Edited by PowJay, 08 June 2018 - 05:33 PM.

Balc0ra #6 Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:47 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64364 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

I still love lights. 13 90 is my go to light atm. Even more so after it became a tier 9 and became even more flexible. 13K spotting is my current record in it on Prokhorovka. Elc even 90 has 9K on Province sitting in the middle in less then 5 minutes. 

I still love the T71, the Chaffee, the Luchs, heck most of my lights still get play time. As I still prefer that class over most of late. Sure at times you get teams that don't hit anything you spot. Or don't leave base etc. No point spotting it from there if no one hits it. And if they don't leave base, then you gotta make sure they see the enemy first, before the enemy team sees them and gets to close. And if no one hits anything, then move to a spot your team guns can cover from where they are sitting or moving. If they ignored the intel you gave then about movement. No need to linger around if you don't get anything out of it. And if you have 3-4 lights on your team, just go the one spot they don't go. As I've seen to many games on Prokhorovka where all lights are in the middle, sharing the assist with the HT's on the ridge line. Ending up splitting an arty hit between 6 spotters. Even less worth it.  

And sure. At times all the spotting in the world would not win you anything. And thus you need to take a damage role instead. As bully flanking and damage farming might win it more vs spotting. By getting a locked flank to move faster etc. So doing your LT missions can't always be in focus sadly. 

PowJay #7 Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:51 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34938 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 08 June 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

And sure. At times all the spotting in the world would not win you anything. And thus you need to take a damage role instead. As bully flanking and damage farming might win it more vs spotting. By getting a locked flank to move faster etc. So doing your LT missions can't always be in focus sadly.

I'd like to think that simply winning and doing well is a good start- if only I could ;)

RaxipIx #8 Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28495 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

In all honesty, if i am not grinding something i only play LT's. I get the most fun out of that class, and for LT 15-3 AMX 13-75 is a gem tank that can net you the mission no problems.

I think i did all the missions except the last one for OBJ 260 in my amx elc, amx 12 t, amx 13-75, obj mission was done with the BC-12 t.

Dr_ownape #9 Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:00 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 41871 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

depends on the tank TBH

i enjoy the type 64, just got the M41 90mm and pfff

Balc0ra #10 Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:07 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64364 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostPowJay, on 08 June 2018 - 05:51 PM, said:

I'd like to think that simply winning and doing well is a good start- if only I could ;)

True... But doing well on spotting alone is not always enough. Or any spotting even. As I've said "sod it" and left my spot many times in my 13 90 to go nuts on the clips and bully the HT line instead to get my 7 vs 3 done and them moving before we get flanked on the other side and boxed in. As no one cared about you spotting those anyway. 

Warzey #11 Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• WGL PRO Player
  • 56799 battles
  • [L-REM] L-REM

Light tanks can be fun to play, especially for players that love vision games. 

I personally enjoy playing T71 DA, AMX 13 90, AMX 13 105 and T-100LT. 

etody77 #12 Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 61655 battles
  • [PT-RO] PT-RO
Type 64, maybe the russian tier 7 are nice, I played other lights long time ago

Mr_Burrows #13 Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:21 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 44244 battles

EVEN... not that fun but somehow I still played mine well over 1K games now...

BlackDog on Frontline...  Mmmm! 

And Type 64! 

Why bother playing anything else, really? Back on a diet of randoms only I just play lights and LeFh. 

arthurwellsley #14 Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:31 PM

Major

• Player
  • 51268 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

LT 15 for the T55A completed in the AMX 13 90, you just need to be lucky with the map. Replay or it never happened;

http://wotreplays.eu...lsley-amx_13_90

You will see I spotted 8,089, was third by experience, fired one shot (which missed) and made a profit on the win of 53,984 silver.

Are light tanks still fun?

Yes. But it depends on the light tank and the map.

I still enjoy all my premium lights when crew training, and some of them even make good silver.

The tech tree ones have a few gems, but some of the old gems seem to have been nerfed to hell.

Edited by arthurwellsley, 08 June 2018 - 06:34 PM.

PowJay #15 Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:37 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34938 battles

View Postarthurwellsley, on 08 June 2018 - 05:31 PM, said:

LT 15 for the T55A completed in the AMX 13 90, you just need to be lucky with the map;

http://wotreplays.eu...lsley-amx_13_90

Although there are favourite maps for this mission, I did LT-15-1 on Karelia. If I had realised that I had the acheivements, I could have got it with Honours by running away and surviving that (winning) match, but I fought until the end and died.

I did LT-15-2 on Highway, with Honours. Of course, that has now gone.

I've had Malinovka and Prok a few times as outlined above, but just not got there. Clearly there is a lot of potential on both of these maps, but it does require some luck as well as skill. :(

gunslingerXXX #16 Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:42 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10681 battles

I haven't tried LT-15-3 yet, but for LT-15-2, I got better results at lower tier. I also used the 13 90 initially, but dropped down to the amx 12t and got much better results. At tier 9 and 10 alot of players have good viewrange which also seems to limit spotting dmg. the fact I suck at tier 8 plus also helped...) In the end I think I did the 15-2 mission with the ELC on a malinovka game.

Still you make a fair point that 7k is only a few big targets together... 

Edited by gunslingerXXX, 08 June 2018 - 07:06 PM.

Jigabachi #17 Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:17 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
When I play, I tend to play mostly light tanks. The other classes got boring right fast, because you are so horribly inflexible on those lame maps.

Suurpolskija #18 Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:27 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18692 battles
  • [URHO] URHO

I got my T-55a lt-15 done with tier x Amx 13 105 @ Province east spawn ( I think ).

Drove to the other side and parked in a bush on the balcony and didn't leave until I got 8k spotted and then started shooting stuff.

Lost the game so no honors but oh well.

DracheimFlug #19 Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:30 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8957 battles
I do not know if you are or ever have been also fun to play, OP, but I have no inclination to finding out..... 

xlxZODxlx #20 Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:34 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 51680 battles

WG destroyed lights, can´t play a light anymore. Anyone spots like you or even further than you since spoting and other values that lights had before were reduced by WG, even camo values have been touched, add now that most lights got crapola guns and face most of the time higher tiers...to play a light today in this game ain´t worth a crap. Besides of that, playing a light is a constant harassment by other players in your own team who just insult you, shoot at you, push you, rams you, just because you don´t play the way they like or you don´t spot the area they want you to spot....it´s pathetic just to think that some clowns in this game think that they have the right and power to tell you how to play and what to do with your own tanks and own rig and if you don´t...they harass you, then you kill them, then they cry and ask other team mates to report you and kill you... and this is constant crap going on every day every game you play a light. *edited* [edited]. *edited*

Forgot to add that since WG has that poor pathetic way of choosing what maps are in the rotation, most maps are not favorable to play a light.

GO SPOT !!! GO SPOT !!!! GO SPOT!!!! thats what you hear all day besides of insults when you play light.

Edited by NickMustaine, 10 June 2018 - 08:19 AM.
Inappropriate remarks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users