Ethics of a suicide run as a protest against WG matchmaking.

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Poll: Ethics of a suicide run as a protest against WG matchmaking. (159 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Do you think doing suicide runs is a justifiable tactic for putting pressure on WG to change the three tier game system?

1. Yes (22 votes [13.84%])

Percentage of vote: 13.84%

2. No (137 votes [86.16%])

Percentage of vote: 86.16%

Do you think that suicide runs will annoy other players enough for them to complain to WG?

1. Probably, yes. (54 votes [33.96%])

Percentage of vote: 33.96%

2. Probably, no (105 votes [66.04%])

Percentage of vote: 66.04%

Do you think that complaints about suicide runs will have any impact on WG?

1. Yes, they are sensitive to what players want. (6 votes [3.77%])

Percentage of vote: 3.77%

2. No, they have their own agenda and will stick to it. (78 votes [49.06%])

Percentage of vote: 49.06%

3. Frankly, my dear, they don't give a damn, as long as the money keeps rolling in. (75 votes [47.17%])

Percentage of vote: 47.17%

Vote Hide poll

Iridiumalloy #1 Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:50 AM

Private

• Player
  • 11281 battles
  • [KWA] KWA

I have become more and more frustrated with the matchmaking system that WG uses, where light tanks and some medium tanks are placed into games with tanks two tiers higher. Especially for the light tanks, it seems that they are no more than cannon fodder. Yes, there is some role as a spotter but being one-shot by almost everything the moment you are spotted is not really much fun.

WG seem to be completely intransigent to changing their three tier game model and do not provide the bottom tier light tanks with the abilities to survive first encounter. So, when WG place my light tank at the bottom tier of a three tier match, I propose to just do a suicide run and hope that I get a few points of spotting damage.

I acknowledge that this is not ideal for the rest of the team and may mean they have a reduced chance of victory. However, perhaps this will mean more complaints and pressure on WG to change the ridiculous three tier game strategy they impose.

Edited by Iridiumalloy, 09 June 2018 - 11:52 AM.

vixu #2 Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:53 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 42571 battles

All you do, is annoy other players and collect non-sportsmanship complaints on yourself.

Deleting your account is way more visible protest to WG. 

RamRaid90 #3 Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:55 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21434 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

You seem to me to be the type of player that would be more useful toyour team if you weren't in it.

Thus go for it.

LordMuffin #4 Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:02 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 48123 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostIridiumalloy, on 09 June 2018 - 11:50 AM, said:

I have become more and more frustrated with the matchmaking system that WG uses, where light tanks and some medium tanks are placed into games with tanks two tiers higher. Especially for the light tanks, it seems that they are no more than cannon fodder. Yes, there is some role as a spotter but being one-shot by almost everything the moment you are spotted is not really much fun.

WG seem to be completely intransigent to changing their three tier game model and do not provide the bottom tier light tanks with the abilities to survive first encounter. So, when WG place my light tank at the bottom tier of a three tier match, I propose to just do a suicide run and hope that I get a few points of spotting damage.

I acknowledge that this is not ideal for the rest of the team and may mean they have a reduced chance of victory. However, perhaps this will mean more complaints and pressure on WG to change the ridiculous three tier game strategy they impose.

The only way to have a small impact is to either stop playing, stop paying or both.

If a large enough group of players stop playing due to MM, then WG might consider changing it.

Bordhaw #5 Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:08 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 11543 battles

View PostIridiumalloy, on 09 June 2018 - 10:50 AM, said:

So, when WG place my light tank at the bottom tier of a three tier match, I propose to just do a suicide run and hope that I get a few points of spotting damage.

If you that upset play a different game ffs. 

ortega456 #6 Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 62740 battles
On a constructive side note: does anybody have any idea whatsoever how to make wg listen to adjust the always bottom tier issue?

I mean if it was equally distributed being top, middle and bottom tier I think the 3/5/7 solution is great but being always bottom tier in that system sucks and is the worst thing in the game at the moment....

mpf1959 #7 Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15699 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
It's only a game ffs! :teethhappy:

peekakilla #8 Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:14 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10359 battles

-don't you have better things to do in your life?

1. Yes
  2. No

-do you actually have a life?

1. Probably, yes.
  2. Probably, no

Enforcer1975 #9 Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20760 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I don't think suicide runs will lead to WG doing something that improves gameplay. They would rather code some lines that punishes players for suiciding because that's way easier

vixu #10 Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:18 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 42571 battles

View Postortega456, on 09 June 2018 - 12:08 PM, said:

On a constructive side note: does anybody have any idea whatsoever how to make wg listen to adjust the always bottom tier issue?

I mean if it was equally distributed being top, middle and bottom tier I think the 3/5/7 solution is great but being always bottom tier in that system sucks and is the worst thing in the game at the moment....

If you have spare 1 million eur, you can pay them to fix it.

Iridiumalloy #11 Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:22 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11281 battles
  • [KWA] KWA

Hi Ortega456. I think that your suggestion of a more even distribution of being bottom, middle and top tier is a good idea. However this may cause similar problems when, for example, tier 4 tanks (as top tier) were put with tier 2 tanks. It seems to me that the differences between tiers are just too great to have a three tier game which is fair for all players. Again this would not be so bad except for the fact that certain tanks are almost always bottom tier. Scrapping the three tier game seems the simplest solution.

As for a way to "make WG listen"; you could try leaving a horses head in their beds. :B

Pvt_Duffer #12 Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:26 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 16658 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostIridiumalloy, on 09 June 2018 - 10:50 AM, said:

, when WG place my light tank at the bottom tier of a three tier match

Ptch, kids these days don't know how lucky they are.

Iridiumalloy #13 Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:30 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11281 battles
  • [KWA] KWA

View PostPvt_Duffer, on 09 June 2018 - 11:26 AM, said:

Ptch, kids these days don't know how lucky they are.

:D "kids these days", funny, I'm probably at least three times your age.

Dorander #14 Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:30 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18185 battles

Civil disobedience can be a tool to get someone in charge to listen, but it requires not only the right context but also the right numbers, not just in terms of people participating but also in persistence. A single event can be a signal, but a single signal can also be ignored. The fewer signals you can give off, the greater the numbers need to be for the signal to have any effect, but even a few people can get a message across if they can protest consistently.

If you go do suicide runs by yourself, you're not going to have any impact. You're not even going to be a blip on the radar. You're just be another person breaking game rules for a few games, you might get reported a bit, and that's it. Keep in mind this is a game and protests here don't have any real life impact, in real life a single protester might matter because that's an actual life, here you're just an account. Before you do anything you need to find a way that works. Which, like others have said, is most likely simply deleting your account, or at the very least never spending money on Wargaming again.

Edit: The critical bit is that this isn't a society. Wargaming provides a luxury product and you're a customer. You're not a civilian. If you don't like a luxury product, the only sensible recourse is to stop paying for it.

Edited by Dorander, 09 June 2018 - 12:33 PM.

Jigabachi #15 Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:30 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

This is beyond stupid.
Let's just ignore the fact that light tanks have the least issues with the tierspread, because they are the underdogs anyway and have to find other ways to contribute (regardless of the MM) - you ruining the game for the other players only because you don't like a particular part of it is selfish and dumb.
And it would have zero impact, you would just become another bad player. Besides that, you already ARE a burden to your teams whenever you play a higher tier tank, so - again - nothing would change.

If you want to protest, stop paying and stop playing.

And disclosing what you actually want as a change would be useful, too.

P.S.: I have little to no problems with the tier spread.

Edited by Jigabachi, 09 June 2018 - 01:08 PM.

Iridiumalloy #16 Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:35 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11281 battles
  • [KWA] KWA

View PostJigabachi, on 09 June 2018 - 11:30 AM, said:

This is beyond stupid.
Let's just ignore the fact that light tanks have the least issues with the tierspread, because they are the underdogs anyway and have to find other ways to contribute (regardless of the MM), ruining the game for the other players only because you don't like a particular part of it is selfish and dumb.
And it would have zero impact, you would just become another bad player. Besides that, you already ARE a burden to your teams whenever you play a higher tier tank, so - again - nothing would change.

If you want to protest, stop paying and stop playing.

And disclosing what you actually want as a change would be useful, too.

P.S.: I have little to no problems with the tier spread.

Interesting logic being applied here. Light tanks are always underdogs and are a burden, so there is no reason to complain! :amazed:

unhappy_bunny #17 Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:50 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18138 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

Light tanks played well can be a benefit to the team. Any tank played badly can be a hinderance to the team. More especially at higher tiers. 

So, possible solutions to the OP's problem,

1. Dont play lights, especially at high tiers.

2. Dont play high tiers at the moment.

3. Concentrate on a level and range of tanks where you can have fun. 

Jigabachi #18 Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:09 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostIridiumalloy, on 09 June 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

Interesting logic being applied here. Light tanks are always underdogs and are a burden, so there is no reason to complain! :amazed:

Feel free to read again, I edited it a bit.

Spartanite #19 Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:16 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 15542 battles

What would you do if you got your top tier game and some other selfish person did a suicide run? Are you ok with being on the receiving end, or would start crying about other people ruining your game? You can't always have what you want, but you have to deal with it anyway, like everyone else - it's not all about you.

DracheimFlug #20 Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:19 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8957 battles

View PostIridiumalloy, on 09 June 2018 - 11:50 AM, said:

Light tanks were put up against tanks much higher tier before the changes to lights. Being bottom tier has been a thing since the beginning of the game. Quit whining about it and learn how to handle it. 

I believe that they care what players want but that does not equate to what players want being reasonable or practical. The current system is a result of players complaining. 

Suiciding in game might lead to more people complaining, but more likely complaining about people suiciding in game. If you want to protest, stop playing. But do not expect things to be magically perfect for you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users