Bonds - what best to spend them on?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

steveo110 #1 Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:22 PM

Private

• Player
  • 748 battles

So.  Started to pick up a few of these Bond thingies, and from what I can tell they are used to either:

Purchase improvements on equipment (which I don't have yet - all credits going to buying tier 5 vehicles at the mo)

or improved crew skills (although its a bit confusing as it seems to say first they don't get the skill to 100%, then it says they do?!)

In your opinion, which are they best used for?  Worth spending sooner rather than later on skills, or saving for equipment enhancement?

250swb #2 Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:58 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21144 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Unless you have gazillions of bonds the amount you can spend on improved equipment/skills only lasts for one battle, so don't bother pandering to WG's con job of a reward system.

Homer_J #3 Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27261 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

About the best use is to spend them on giving your crew full firefighting skill so you can drop the fire extinguisher for food/cola/coffee/rations.  Or giving your commander 6th sense.

As a new player though, just hang on to them for now.

RockyRoller #4 Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28817 battles
  • [NR-NS] NR-NS

It took a long time, but I took part in a few Ranked and Front Line as they gave the largest chunks of bonds per levels and many Randoms until I made enough to buy one advanced bit of equipment. Cost 5k bonds. 

You next question will be what single advanced item? Well that depends on the tank, but I went for vents on a scout as it add a little % to lots of things a scout needs and the extra camo is great.

One clan member bought the advanced repair kit for a T 95 and says faster repairs was a wise choice 

Homer_J #5 Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:15 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27261 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostRockyRoller, on 10 June 2018 - 11:31 PM, said:

It took a long time, 

And there you have it.  If you save up for a long long time you can have one fairly useless piece of equipment.  And if you save up even longer you will be able to move it to another tank.

Somnorila #6 Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:52 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 55535 battles
  • [4-YOU] 4-YOU

Probably the best approach is to gather enough to equip your favorite top tank with improved equipment. Or to save them for a prize tank if and when you're going to take part in some CW event.

Other than that doesn't seem to be a very good deal to spend them so it would be best to not give them any attention at all.

WoT_RU_Doing #7 Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:46 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 40155 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-

Echoing what has already been said, here's my two-pence worth...

So far, since bonds came into the game, there have been 2 good bond earning events outside of clan-war type activities. The first was a specific set of missions with bond rewards, and more recently the Front-line mode. Outside of that, the opportunities are limited for many players. So, personally I have bought one set of improved optics, and am still saving up for my next piece of improved equipment.

I have also used bonds to give my commander 6th sense, but that cost 6 bonds per battle I think. In my case, I did this for Frontline mode, where the expenditure made sense. I re-purchased the French tier 8 arty, and recruited a 100% trained crew, as I'd long since sold it and moved the original crew when I completed the grind to tier 9. So, for frontline, I had a tier 8 arty with no crew skills. Using this, and some other tanks where the crew were already trained, I reached the top level 3 times, for 100 bonds each, and a fourth time for a reward of 1 thousand bonds. So, the payback was 1300 bonds for the whole event I think, versus 6 bonds spent each time I used the Lorr. In total I spent less than 300 bonds, and netted over 1000.

So...the point I'm trying to make is that I only used the bonds to buy a temporary crew skill when I had a deliberate objective in mind, and the cost benefit was worthwhile. Otherwise I'm keeping my bonds until I can buy equipment, as you can keep that permanently.      

Balc0ra #8 Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:04 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 63349 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Poststeveo110, on 10 June 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

Purchase improvements on equipment (which I don't have yet - all credits going to buying tier 5 vehicles at the mo)

or improved crew skills (although its a bit confusing as it seems to say first they don't get the skill to 100%, then it says they do?!)

Personally, the only thing I use them on atm is 6th sense for new crews when training them in meds, lights and TD's that makes it 100% for one battle. If your skill is already at 100% when you use them, you get bonuses instead. Like 10% more camo on your tank, or 6th sense working 1 second faster etc. As the 2nd line in the explanation is what the bonus is IF you have it at 100% from before. 

TungstenHitman #9 Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:17 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 19225 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

View Poststeveo110, on 10 June 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

In your opinion, which are they best used for?  Worth spending sooner rather than later on skills, or saving for equipment enhancement?

I do nothing with them and just let them build up remaining untouched. They're just some remnant hangover from what was another one of WG's rushed "money! give me your money!" scheme which went nowhere. All you get after blowing away monstrous amounts of credits and money on gold ammo is some piece of equipment that's only 2.5% better lol! I think I read somewhere that there even is no .5% in this game and it rolls back to the next solid number so 2.5% is actually only 2%.

I wouldn't even waste using them top purchase some consumable since I play randoms only and we have absolutely no idea what team or map we are going to get so, since it takes ages to even build up enough bonds for a rare consumable treat, I would only get annoyed if I ended up having anything other than a great map and battle etc, which is totally unrealistic. WG might take another look and try a different approach with these bonds and improved equipment in the future so... I'm nowhere close on having enough bonds for a piece of equipment and never will so far as it goes now with just a couple of bonds gained here and there, so, for now, I just completely ignore them.

WoT_RU_Doing #10 Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:20 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 40155 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-

View PostTungstenHitman, on 12 June 2018 - 01:17 PM, said:

I do nothing with them and just let them build up remaining untouched. They're just some remnant hangover from what was another one of WG's rushed "money! give me your money!" scheme which went nowhere. All you get after blowing away monstrous amounts of credits and money on gold ammo is some piece of equipment that's only 2.5% better lol! I think I read somewhere that there even is no .5% in this game and it rolls back to the next solid number so 2.5% is actually only 2%.

I wouldn't even waste using them top purchase some consumable since I play randoms only and we have absolutely no idea what team or map we are going to get so, since it takes ages to even build up enough bonds for a rare consumable treat, I would only get annoyed if I ended up having anything other than a great map and battle etc, which is totally unrealistic. WG might take another look and try a different approach with these bonds and improved equipment in the future so... I'm nowhere close on having enough bonds for a piece of equipment and never will so far as it goes now with just a couple of bonds gained here and there, so, for now, I just completely ignore them.

I don't recall WG ever selling bonds for credits, money or gold...in fact they specifically said that this would never happen, and as most of mine have been earned just playing the game with standard ammo, I don't see how it could be seen as a money making scheme.

As for your comment about the .5%, it is totally off base. If you take the improved optics for example, it adds 12.5% to your view range. In my case, my tank has a view range of 420m. When I add the improved optics it increases this to 420x1.125 = 472.5m. The decimals are not displayed in game, so in the garage it is listed as 472m. I don't know if spotting calculations use the full 472.5m or 472m, but it makes little difference. However, for spotting, the additional 2.5% compared to standard optics can make a big difference when the spotting calculations are carried out.

TungstenHitman #11 Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:52 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 19225 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

View PostWoT_RU_Doing, on 12 June 2018 - 02:20 PM, said:

I don't recall WG ever selling bonds for credits, money or gold...in fact they specifically said that this would never happen, and as most of mine have been earned just playing the game with standard ammo, I don't see how it could be seen as a money making scheme.

No they didn't but what it was, was a tier10 only format whereby it was aimed at the most competitive players in the game where plenty of players spend hefty amounts of cash to fuel their addiction so in order to finish high enough in this event and quality for the next round or whatever it was, which is the only way to bag plenty of bounds required to kit out a few tanks with improved equipment, you would have gold spam the $hit out of every available shot which, at tier10, munches through the credits like nothing else so I'd imagine plenty of players opened their wallets to fuel that gold spamming either by purchasing credits or just using gold directly, whichever is better value but either way that translates into players spending money.

I'm sure it even baited some players that may have leaned on generating to credits with premium tanks rather than a premium account into purchasing a premium account for so long as that game mode lasted to lesson the nasty effects of it's running costs when played at a very competitive level. I never said WG sold bonds though and they didn't... it's an indirect way of selling bonds though, if you want enough of them and for all your tanks you gotta finish ranked very high all the time and to that you gotta be making every shot count and for that, you press the 2 key rather than risk it. It all translates into paying to win and buying these bonds effectively. I don't care by the way and I don't have a problem with it or how any player chose to play this game, makes no difference to me, I certainly don't frown on it, whatever makes a person happy, money is for spending. Better this than pi$sing it up against a wall on a Saturday night drinking session in town, at least you get much better value for a game and it's a hell of a lot cheaper!

As for your comment about the .5%, it is totally off base. If you take the improved optics for example, it adds 12.5% to your view range. In my case, my tank has a view range of 420m. When I add the improved optics it increases this to 420x1.125 = 472.5m. The decimals are not displayed in game, so in the garage it is listed as 472m. I don't know if spotting calculations use the full 472.5m or 472m, but it makes little difference. However, for spotting, the additional 2.5% compared to standard optics can make a big difference when the spotting calculations are carried out.

I have no idea where I read that before it I just remember reading that comment though. I don't know why .5% would not factor for a piece of equipment, especially when you can see a skill like situational awareness increase by tiny fractions of a percent with each battle or two. I recall something about vents not delivering 5% boost also.... so does a vent actually deliver 5%, does an improved vent actually translate into 7.5% boost, I would have no idea but always assumes they did, yet, I do recall reading that they don't and that .5% is not factored.

Edited by TungstenHitman, 12 June 2018 - 03:56 PM.

15JG52Brauer #12 Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 73343 battles
  • [WHO] WHO

I don't recall WG ever selling bonds for credits, money or gold...in fact they specifically said that this would never happen

They also (well, Viktor Kisly - so same thing) said that they would never sell the mutant again - so WG saying something will never happen appears to have an RNG element attached to it where  the amount of time left until never is some function of the greed of the mareting department +/1 25% rng - so dontcount on bonds never being sold - WG have already shown they have a different definition of never to everyone else ;-)

WoT_RU_Doing #13 Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:16 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 40155 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-

View PostTungstenHitman, on 12 June 2018 - 02:52 PM, said:

I have no idea where I read that before it I just remember reading that comment though. I don't know why .5% would not factor for a piece of equipment, especially when you can see a skill like situational awareness increase by tiny fractions of a percent with each battle or two. I recall something about vents not delivering 5% boost also.... so does a vent actually deliver 5%, does an improved vent actually translate into 7.5% boost, I would have no idea but always assumes they did, yet, I do recall reading that they don't and that .5% is not factored.

Now that you mention it, vents is a much more interesting one. As you say, the game states it adds 5% to all crew skills. If I look on my tier 10 tanks, they typically get an increase of +8m or +9m to view range, implying that the base value was under 200m. Clearly a tier X tank has a much greater view range than this, but is 200m worth actually down to crew skills? If not, vents do not perform as advertised. I thought an easy way to check would be to look at a tank with no crew (no crew...no crew skill to improve by 5%)....but the Badger got +8m for vents with no crew, increasing to +10m when the crew were returned. So, thanks for pointing this out...I'm now totally confused by Vents.

Edited by WoT_RU_Doing, 12 June 2018 - 11:26 PM.

Geno1isme #14 Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:45 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 40878 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View PostWoT_RU_Doing, on 13 June 2018 - 12:16 AM, said:

Now that you mention it, vents is a much more interesting one. As you say, the game states it adds 5% to all crew skills. If I look on my tier 10 tanks, they typically get an increase of +8m or +9m to view range, implying that the base value was under 200m. Clearly a tier X tank has a much greater view range than this, but is 200m worth actually down to crew skills? If not, vents do not perform as advertised. I thought an easy way to check would be to look at a tank with no crew (no crew...no crew skill to improve by 5%)....but the Badger got +8m for vents with no crew, increasing to +10m when the crew were returned. So, thanks for pointing this out...I'm now totally confused by Vents.

First, 5% bonus to crew skills only improves the affected tank stats by about 2.1% due to the way the game computes them, that's nothing specific to vents, 

Second, the bond variant of vents is only improving crew skills by 7%, not 7.5% as stated (this was tested by several people in the german forum section).

Homer_J #15 Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:07 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27261 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostWoT_RU_Doing, on 12 June 2018 - 11:16 PM, said:

I'm now totally confused by Vents.

It's not the vents, it's the way crew skills work.

The relationship between skill percentage and operational performance is how you expect.  The calculation is in the wiki.

The graph is a bit out of date because it is based on the old system where you could only get to 100% of the published stats by getting a 133% crew but you can see a 0% crew does not have 0 effectiveness.

Posted Image

Edited by Homer_J, 13 June 2018 - 03:12 AM.

TungstenHitman #16 Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:19 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 19225 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

View PostGeno1isme, on 13 June 2018 - 01:45 AM, said:

First, 5% bonus to crew skills only improves the affected tank stats by about 2.1% due to the way the game computes them, that's nothing specific to vents, 

Second, the bond variant of vents is only improving crew skills by 7%, not 7.5% as stated (this was tested by several people in the german forum section).

Interesting. If that's how the figures break down when tested, then why would the improved vent % be so powerful or less nerfed by comparison to how badly the regular vent performs? In other words, if a regular vent quoted as 5% = 2.1% then shouldn't 7.5% = 3.15%?  Since the improved vent is on paper, 50% stronger than the regular vent? Why is 7.5% translating at a much better ratio at 7%?

Geno1isme #17 Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:45 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 40878 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View PostTungstenHitman, on 13 June 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

Interesting. If that's how the figures break down when tested, then why would the improved vent % be so powerful or less nerfed by comparison to how badly the regular vent performs? In other words, if a regular vent quoted as 5% = 2.1% then shouldn't 7.5% = 3.15%?  Since the improved vent is on paper, 50% stronger than the regular vent? Why is 7.5% translating at a much better ratio at 7%?

You're mixing things up (I think ....)

The regular vents improve crew skills by 5% (as stated), the bond vents improve them by 7% (0.5% less than stated). That's most likely a rounding bug somewhere (as all other things boosting crew skills use whole numbers, no decimals).

Any crew skill increase however does not boost the affected tank stats (viewrange, reload, aimtime, ...) by the same percentage. Can't find the exact formula right now, but it's about 2.1% improvement in tank stats for every 5% increase in crew skills. So the bond vents would improve tank stats indeed by about 3.2% (while it should be about 3.4%). This applies not only to vents but also other crew skill boosts like food, BIA or commander bonus.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users