Would you prefer not to have a three tier game system?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you enjoy playing in three tier games? (94 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Do you enjoy being top tier in a three tier game?

1. Yes (52 votes [55.32%])

Percentage of vote: 55.32%

2. No (14 votes [14.89%])

Percentage of vote: 14.89%

3. Occasionally (28 votes [29.79%])

Percentage of vote: 29.79%

Do you enjoy being middle tier in a three tier game?

1. Yes (49 votes [52.13%])

Percentage of vote: 52.13%

2. No (13 votes [13.83%])

Percentage of vote: 13.83%

3. Occasionally (32 votes [34.04%])

Percentage of vote: 34.04%

Do you enjoy playing bottom tier in a three tier game?

1. Yes (16 votes [17.02%])

Percentage of vote: 17.02%

2. No (56 votes [59.57%])

Percentage of vote: 59.57%

3. Occasionally (22 votes [23.40%])

Percentage of vote: 23.40%

Do you think three tier games are fair or unfair?

1. Mostly fair (33 votes [35.11%])

Percentage of vote: 35.11%

2. Mostly unfair (61 votes [64.89%])

Percentage of vote: 64.89%

Vote Hide poll

Iridiumalloy #1 Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:49 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11281 battles
  • [KWA] KWA

On the basis that WG listens to users comments and requests and takes action based on their feedback.... (Well, in a universe some where, that might be true) .... it might be interesting to find out whether people would prefer to have three tier games or not. So, if you have an opinion on the matter, feel free to answer the poll and even leave a comment (do try to keep the comments at least somewhat constructive ;) )

Jumping_TurtIe #2 Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6237 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I dont think the idea of the 3-5-7 is a bad one. Only the rate you get to have the 3,5 and 7 should be a lot better. If the 3,5 and 7 battles are spread more even so you get to be as much top as bottem it would work out fine.

Lycopersicon #3 Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:01 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10610 battles

Get rid of the patterned matchmaker and I'm totally happy with three-tier spread. Right now, the 3-5-7 inevitably throws us into bottom tier in about half of our games; an occasional bottom tier is fine but this gets frustrating.

Is it fair? Of course it is fair. As long as everyone gets the same in the long run, 12-0-3 or 1-0-0-0-0-0-0-14 matchmaking would be fair, too. Doesn't make it fun or reasonable.

Edited by Lycopersicon, 11 June 2018 - 05:17 PM.

Isharial #4 Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:05 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 19700 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

being top tier, for me, is the worst thing, I like it in certain specific tanks, but others its a pain, as mostly I play as support tanks, which means I have to play frontline in something that's not suited to being there

mid and bottom tier is where those tanks shine however, so I much prefer those games to others... ofcourse, i'll be in a minority saying that!

its fair enough, lets face it, your still going to get bad and good teams regardless of whether its a 10 tier spread, 5 tier spread or same tiers every time, so you cant exactly blame the MM spread for that

Edited by Isharial, 11 June 2018 - 05:05 PM.

DraconariusAT #5 Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:58 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 17100 battles

Being top tier I enjoy occasionally, but often I hate it when ending as easy prey getting shoot from all directions and ending on 13th to 15th place in the result screen.

Middle and bottom Tier is much more relaxed, you have much less liability leading your team to success - voted yes for both options. Especially bottom tier can be quite rewarding and memorable, when having an important influence to the battle or surviving the game. ;) But there are also those battles, where you end as useless wreck due to a single hit. 

The last question I have answered with mostly fair. Personally I can not understand the whining against 3/5/7-mm on the forums. Even when you are bottom tier, (nearly) half of the team is same tier now (and even two third in a 5/10-mm-game) compared to the old matchmaker, where you could end as single low tier.  

Edited by DraconariusAT, 11 June 2018 - 06:06 PM.

arthurwellsley #6 Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:17 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 51737 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

I am very happy with a three tier spread. World of Tanks has been highly successful with it, and kept the servers running for almost seven years of fun on it.

I say almost seven years, because I seem to remember playing when there was a four tier spread back in 2011. I think it was only lights where battle tier VI could see battle tier X (although there were twelve battle tiers back then). But I also think tier VII's were seeing tier X tanks. Try reading the comments on the blog post below to see how lucky you are to enjoy the current tier spread.

http://overlord-wot....nts-for-eu.html

Edited by arthurwellsley, 11 June 2018 - 06:17 PM.

Mimos_A #7 Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:19 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23986 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

In principle i have absolutely no problem with being bottom tier. I quite enjoy being able to try some new positions every once in a while without being the cause of a loss immediately. It is worsened a lot by the 3/5/7 template though, where having a stellar game as bottom tier can be absolutely irrelevant because your 3 top tier tanks were busier enjoy the scenery than shooting tanks and you're left fighting some +2 tier tanks on most of their HP because no one left can realistically do something about them.

I also have to say that being a top tier light is somewhat awkward. Especially when you're the only light it's a pretty hard decision whether to go for those aggressive spots and risk getting caught out or keeping what at the end of the day is a top tier gun in the game.

Edited by Mimos_A, 11 June 2018 - 06:20 PM.

Erwin_Von_Braun #8 Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:30 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 38254 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Don't really mind where I get put tbh.

Some of my most rewarding games were being the only Tier V in a Tier VIII game - back in the good old days of +3mm for LT's:)

unhappy_bunny #9 Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:31 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18099 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

My first thought was "Oh good! Another MM thread with a poll, We dont get these very often"

Then I thought, now try and be constructive, so.....

Personally I dont mind being top, middle or bottom tier. I would like to think it would be nice to get an even spread over an evening, and I think I get slightly more middle and bottom placings than I do top, but as I dont bother collecting the stats on it, I can only say that it is my perception. 

What I do dislike, is being top tier and making a complete hash of the battle. Getting myself in the wrong place, getting killed quickly with having made no contribution to the team. As bottom tier, I and the team, can probably get away with my failure, but as top tier, we cant. That is one reason why I dont enjoy playing high tier tanks and prefer to play more mid tier tanks. 

As to the question of is the 3 tier system fair, well, as others have said, it applies to all players, so yes it is fair. 

I cant speak for higher tiers, as I tend to avoid those, but the problem could be more to do with the tanks picked rather than the tier spread. At lower tiers I find I am not fazed by facing 2 tiers higher as I know that if I play properly Most tanks I choose can hold their own. Same tier, not a problem (or shouldnt be a problem), +1 tier play a little more cautious, and +2 tiers need to look to support rather than lead if possible. 

vasilinhorulezz #10 Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22813 battles

The problem is not the 3 tier spread, the problem is that tier 8 is mostly screwed, and almost never is top tier,

because almost all of their games are 3/5/7 bottom tier or 5/10 with tier 9s, and when a tier 8 finally manages to be top tier it's a single tier spread.

Being bottom tier occasionally is not the problem, being bottom tier all the time IS THE PROBLEM.

Jigabachi #11 Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:16 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Seriously... why do people constantly whine about the MM when the real problem is the general gamebalance?

Sure, some people can only enjoy the game when toptier, which doesn't happen too often on certain tiers... but... still. Why don't we start with fixing the one thing that has an impact on EVERYTHING, including MM?

24doom24 #12 Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:56 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7078 battles

View PostJigabachi, on 11 June 2018 - 07:16 PM, said:

Seriously... why do people constantly whine about the MM when the real problem is the general gamebalance?

Sure, some people can only enjoy the game when toptier, which doesn't happen too often on certain tiers... but... still. Why don't we start with fixing the one thing that has an impact on EVERYTHING, including MM?

Well WG seems to think that us players and preferential mm tanks are the problems.

Thuis001 #13 Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:56 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5970 battles
  • [-SBN-] -SBN-

View PostJumping_TurtIe, on 11 June 2018 - 04:54 PM, said:

I dont think the idea of the 3-5-7 is a bad one. Only the rate you get to have the 3,5 and 7 should be a lot better. If the 3,5 and 7 battles are spread more even so you get to be as much top as bottem it would work out fine.

yeah, that is the entire issue with 3/5/7 it's designed for players to be bottom tier most of the time. However the bigger issue with an essentially 5 tier spread (as a tier VIII you can face anything from tier VI-X) is that balancing correctly is nigh impossible to do correctly, on the one hand a tank should be able to do something to higher tier tanks, on the other hand you need to remember it also faces things 2 tiers lower. Balancing would get SO much easier if they were to remove the +2/-2 spread because suddenly you only have to balance a tank for facing tanks in either a +1 or -1 match or a same tier match. This means that you have a bit more breathing room when it comes to balance. Also there is a big difference between the tiers. Most tier VII's have up to 3 times the HP a tier V has, so what is the latter supposed to do? While that gap gets closer the higher you get ("only" 2x for tier VI compared to VIII and about 1.5x for tier VII to IX) others increase, espescially with pen, dmg/DPM and gun handling.

Slyspy #14 Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:00 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14202 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Fine with tier spread, not with templates. 

Search_Warrant #15 Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:11 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 27190 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Front Line taught me how fun single tier can be. but it also taught me that there is allot of imbalance in tier 8 alone too. skorpG's. autolaoders, VKP and Defenders, IS-3. good few "press R" tanks.  but single tier MM is better than the crapfest we have now.

Nethraniel #16 Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:21 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 13193 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

2-tier spread is in principle fine. The tier differences neet to be reduced. And being top tier in 3-5-7 with a new stock tank is not fun. Especially, when you theoretically need to carry. So, yeah I feel also it is more the game balance than the MM that causes the problems.

I would go so far, that I would wish for a full rebalance of all tanks on all tiers, including nerfing premiums where neccessary. 

Rati_Festa #17 Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:30 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42780 battles

View PostJigabachi, on 11 June 2018 - 08:16 PM, said:

Agreed, it just takes more thought to get to that conclusion. People moan about the mm, but if you look at t8 then the real issue are the stupid armour profiles that the -2 cant pen.

For me they need to push the 357 further down the list of templates, while they fix the balance issues. Then they could for me introduce it back to the top.

As long as the game stays as it is they are reducing the sales of t8 prems.

Balc0ra #18 Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:10 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66256 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

3 tiers yes. I honestly don't mind it. And find it to even be challenging and fun at times... depending on tank ofc. My issue resides with 3-5-7 spread, not the tier spread. As having fewer top tiers to fight is fine on mid tiers when you do a stock grind, or you are a new player. But on higher tiers it's pointless and made it worse off after it got there IMO. As Circon said. 3-5-7 should be a last resort for MM. Not the first one. That and if one of your top tiers is afk or idle in base. It can go bad faster.

3 tier games might be unfair depending on what you drive more so than on anything. Some stock grinds are terrible as top tier even. Just as some that are elite that can't even carry as top tier for it to matter like the AMX 65t.  Take the AMX 40 to name one. Vs the Matilda at the same tier. It packs a 74mm pen gun. The Matilda packs a 121 pen gun. So it's not as useless in a support role for +2. So one has it easy regardless in terms of the gun with regards to doing damage. The other is more frustrating for the player in a +2 with to many bounces. So yes... there are some bad aspects. But the issue is for those few tanks that are from 20 metas ago... even +1 won't matter. As 74 pen vs tier 5 armor is even not great. So there are some power creep issues still. 

But... some tanks are flexible enough that I don't care what I face. My Cromwell B is one of them, or my CDA 105, SU-100, KV-2, Luchs or any scout tank to name some. Some tanks are used to facing +5 or +3 from before. So you work with it. And overall I rarely complain. But there are some older tanks I don't play due to +2. Like the Tiger II or M4 Improved. Or even the IS-6 due to +0 games. But out of the 196 tanks I have in the garage, you can count on one hand how many tanks I don't play anymore due to them not working in +2. 

mpf1959 #19 Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15639 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Every time I go in a game, I get shot at, and dammit it's deliberate I tell you, deliberate!

Capus #20 Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:15 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38741 battles

Being bottom tier was ok before the premium ammo for silver change and the armor buffs that it brought. Now when bottom tier you end up having to spam premium ammo just to have a chance of penning many tanks +2 tiers.

The game basicaly changed from : "know where to aim and you can pen most opponents regardless of tier" to "press 2 if you want a chance of penning tanks 2 tiers higher".

I used to enjoy +2 MM and even prefered being bottom tier, nowadays it's just something designed to make you burn through your silver reserves, and I don't like being milked.

Edited by Capus, 12 June 2018 - 01:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users