Which Russian Heavy Tier 9 & 10 to Choose

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Besty1 #1 Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:21 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 27198 battles

Opinions please on which heavy tank line to go down, particularly from those that have played all three of these either in game or on the test server.

I have enough XP to unlock all three lines (sitting currently at tier 8), but have held off going forward until now to see what tank was going to appear after the the T-10.

Each seems to have their + & - in each tier. Some forum threads have discussed not going all the way to tier 10 as in many respects the tier 9 heavies are good enough in their own right.

The choices as you all know are;

Obj 705 leading to 705A

Obj 257 leading to IS7

T-10 leading to Obj 277

Thoughts would be much appreciated

Thanks

Jigabachi #2 Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:31 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17927 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

This is most definitely not what you want to hear, but given the fact that you have a very bad performance in all of your higher tier tanks (bot-level WR but higher average damage suggests that you camp a lot and do your damage at the end of the match, when everything is lost already), it would be better if you would stick to the lower tiers to learn the very basics of the game some more.

No point in playing those hightier tanks if you are a burden to every team you end up in.

Cannes76 #3 Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:40 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 66618 battles

Haven't looked up your stats as Jiga has, but if what he says is true, and you really want to move up in tiers, do NOT skip the tier 9's. Obj 257 and T-10 are very good tanks, and should teach you alot about hightier gameplay, before moving up to tier X which is very very different to all other tiers! So beware of your motives and expectations.

I personally don't like the obj 705 and obj 705A, so my personal recommendation is to skip those for now, but this is just my personal bias.

Besty1 #4 Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:49 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 27198 battles

I didn't ask for a critique of me as player, rather a critique of the tanks mentioned. I know I'm a very average player by the stats, but those stats don't accurately reflect my play now.  My current WOT ranking is 4,792, i know its not unicum but it's not totally crap and doesn't exclude me from either playing tier 9 and 10 or asking questions about them. These aren't the first tier 9 or 10 tanks that I've played, I'm average and by definition so are most people who play this game!!!

Also your assumption that I hang around camping until the end of the battle is also woefully inaccurate.

Please stop making assumptions and either do or don't answer the question asked.

I would also point out Jiga after looking at noobmeter that your stats don't exactly set the world on fire. I Except they're better than mine but dont justify the arrogant stance you decided to adopt.

Edited by xxTANK_Uxx, 14 June 2018 - 03:01 PM.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #5 Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:00 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49690 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE
  • 705 is rear turreted which makes it hard to play in some maps/positions plus other disadvantages such as accuracy.
  • T10 got weak hull armor, prone to module damage (ammo rack, crew members, etc.) and the most accurate gun of all three. Also it's fast for a heavy tank.
  • 257 got more armor, decent gun handling and slightly slower than the T10.

kaneloon #6 Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:02 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28125 battles
  • [OBLIC] OBLIC

Stats bashing is always a pleasure for some ppl.

And tiers X is the easiest tiers to play.

But your question is pretty difficult, as you can't really be wrong with russian tanks.

I loved my t-10 before gold rush. Now obj 257 would be my choice.

Besty1 #7 Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:19 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 27198 battles

I am tempted by the 257 as much for its effective side armour as anything else, its whether the IS7 stands up to the competition of the other two tier 10's or as the original question asked; do you stay playing a very good tier 9 heavy and enjoy the advantages that MM will often bring.

kaneloon #8 Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:23 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28125 battles
  • [OBLIC] OBLIC
I don't think any of these 3 tiers X will be an extremely competitive tank. In the rare case I play the IS7 (grinding other lines) it is still ok.

JocMeister #9 Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:46 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 23357 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostBesty1, on 13 June 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

I didn't ask for a critique of me as player, rather a critique of the tanks mentioned. I know I'm a very average player by the stats, but those stats don't accurately reflect my play now.  My current WOT ranking is 4,792, i know its not unicum but it's not totally crap and doesn't exclude me from either playing tier 9 and 10 or asking questions about them. These aren't the first tier 9 or 10 tanks that I've played, I'm average and by definition so are most people who play this game!!!

Also your assumption that I hang around camping until the end of the battle is also woefully inaccurate.

Please stop making assumptions and either do or don't answer the question asked.

You are obviously doing something very hurtful for your 14 teammates yet you claim the "assumption that I hang around camping until the end of the battle is also woefully inaccurate."

Then how you do it? Its a striking difference between your damage and WR. I´m genuinely curious about this because if you are not redline camping I have no clue how you managed those stats. 

WindSplitter1 #10 Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:50 PM

Major

• Player
  • 16025 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

View PostBesty1, on 13 June 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

I used to be just like you, asked the same question, got the same answers, replied in the exact way you did and do you know the result?

Crash and burn.

Apart from Light Tanks, which are my "main expertice", you really can't play them very well if you have 1.2K battles in a single Tier V vehicle, as it is my case. You have to progress slowly.

It might seem that our fellow forumites are saying "git gud bot" but they don't mean so as an insult. Neither am I saying that you can't rise like a star, just that the tendency is to have a poor performance as you climb.

At best, if you really don't want to have your grind brought to naught, I'd recommend unlocking the Tier Xs you are close to reach and return to basic tiers. Nothing wrong with it.

But... if you want a "Please, just stick with the question" answer: IS-7. Steve, as it is nicknamed, is quite forgiving and his turret is nigh impenetrable if you can go hulldown, even when giving the side armour to the enemies.

NoobySkooby #11 Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:58 PM

Major

• Player
  • 13164 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View PostJigabachi, on 13 June 2018 - 04:31 PM, said:

This is most definitely not what you want to hear, but given the fact that you have a very bad performance in all of your higher tier tanks (bot-level WR but higher average damage suggests that you camp a lot and do your damage at the end of the match, when everything is lost already), it would be better if you would stick to the lower tiers to learn the very basics of the game some more.

No point in playing those hightier tanks if you are a burden to every team you end up in.

Ha ha, i remember getting this stock reply to some of my questions, simple fact is if you play the tanks you usually learn about them one way or another, go have fun in any tier you like, you did the grind so now do the play, my choice was the 257, and T10 which led up to the IS7.

View PostBesty1, on 13 June 2018 - 05:19 PM, said:

I am tempted by the 257 as much for its effective side armour as anything else, its whether the IS7 stands up to the competition of the other two tier 10's or as the original question asked; do you stay playing a very good tier 9 heavy and enjoy the advantages that MM will often bring.

Yes you do, you did the grind, now ride the results, but make sure the tank is fully pimped out, not stock or you will suffer, and always remember that these other 14 team members that other refer to will camp at the back, go to the heavy lane in meds and lights and generally not do sensible things which if you are a (insert whatever) player, then you can hold your head high in doing what you though was right.

People make you feel guilty for playing new tanks, they shouldn't,  so go in there with a healthy dose of $%^& em attitude, be mean be ruthless, and enjoy:trollface:

JocMeister #12 Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:28 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 23357 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostNoobySkooby, on 13 June 2018 - 06:58 PM, said:

Ha ha, i remember getting this stock reply to some of my questions, simple fact is if you play the tanks you usually learn about them one way or another, go have fun in any tier you like, you did the grind so now do the play, my choice was the 257, and T10 which led up to the IS7.

I´m sure your 14 teammates are just as enthusiastic about your reasoning regarding "I play for fun and I play any tier and tank I want". They probably see your 40% WR in the 257 and T-10 and think "look at that fellow. I´m so glad he plays for fun and I really hope he has a good time".

Jigabachi #13 Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:00 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17927 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBesty1, on 13 June 2018 - 04:55 PM, said:

I would also point out Jiga after looking at noobmeter that your stats don't exactly set the world on fire. I Except they're better than mine but dont justify the arrogant stance you decided to adopt.

I'm not a friend of soft line approaches. Instead, I simply tell people the facts and try to educate them about certain things in a direct but constructive way. And that is in no way arrogant. But not being mature enough to simply accept said facts and at least think about what experienced people told you - that is ignorant.

I don't tell you that because I like to bash people. I told you that because bad players who play tanks or tiers above their skilllevel are one major problem that ruins this entire game for a lot of people who want to play it properly, me included. It's a major reason why the game is not very fun to play at the moment.

If you happen to be a toptier tank, your teams will be screwed more often than not. You might have the fun of your life, but other people - who want to have fun, too - will quickly understand that their current match is a big and frustrating waste of time.

And just out of interest: How exactly do you know if anyone's stats are good or bad when you obviously don't understand them and don't know the average? (Hint: You are far away from the average.)

Besides that, when you checked my stats you obviously noticed that I don't own any higher tier tanks except of some light tanks. One reason is that I don't really like the hightier gameplay. The other reason is that I would probably struggle a lot, which I, being a teamplayer, don't like that much.

Aynway... long story short: I told you what you need to know, you can use that information however you like. If you want to be one of "those" players, that's fine. It's your choice. If you come to the conclusion that my ramblings made some sense and you want to improve, I would be glad about it, because this is one of the only ways that we as players can contribute to a better game for everyone. In that case we would happily provide you with all kinds of help.

View PostNoobySkooby, on 13 June 2018 - 06:58 PM, said:

I highlighted the important part. Any guess on when we can expect you to learn something? And with "something" I mean something very basic, like being able to control both keyboard and mouse without looking at them.

View Postkaneloon, on 13 June 2018 - 05:02 PM, said:

Stats bashing is always a pleasure for some ppl.

Would you mind telling me where anything I wrote is wrong? Because last time I checked, "statsbashing" meant something like riduculing people based on their stats without any reason or argument behind it.

Edited by Jigabachi, 13 June 2018 - 09:11 PM.

Homer_J #14 Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:54 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28771 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostJigabachi, on 13 June 2018 - 04:31 PM, said:

So IS-7 then.

View PostBesty1, on 13 June 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

I didn't ask for a critique of me as player,

OK Steve.

arthurwellsley #15 Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:00 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 51767 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
  • 705 is rear turreted which makes it hard to play in some maps/positions plus other disadvantages such as accuracy.
  • T10 has weak hull armour. Also it is fast for a heavy tank. Best tank of the three. Absolutely the hardest to play well.
  • 257 has got more armour, decent gun handling and slightly slower than the T10. The one in the middle. Easiest to play. Also leads to the IS7 which is arguably the best all rounder heavy at tier X and also easiest to play.

For the sake of all the other players on your own team go with the 257.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #16 Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:03 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49690 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE

View Postarthurwellsley, on 13 June 2018 - 11:00 PM, said:

• T10 has weak hull armour. Also it is fast for a heavy tank. Best tank of the three. Absolutely the hardest to play well.
  • 257 has got more armour, decent gun handling and slightly slower than the T10. The one in the middle. Easiest to play. Also leads to the IS7 which is arguably the best all rounder heavy at tier X and also easiest to play.

Was that a failed quote or you just copied my post?

Flavortown #17 Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16158 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View Postarthurwellsley, on 13 June 2018 - 10:00 PM, said:

For the sake of the other 14 players stay away from high tiers.

Besty1 #18 Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:40 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 27198 battles

All of these negative replies  (thats particularly Jiga who thinks he's packaged it up as education LOL) are assuming that everyone playing higher tiers are above average. Not true. Most people playing most tanks are average for the reasons i gave earlier.

Spurtung #19 Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:14 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 63775 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostBesty1, on 13 June 2018 - 05:49 PM, said:

I know I'm a very average player by the stats

You're really not, I'm afraid.

Besty1 #20 Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:29 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 27198 battles

as I'm placed by WOT at 51% of players, I struggle to understand how thats not average

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users