What's the best tank to learn proper medium gameplay?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Bexleyheath #1 Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:01 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3150 battles
  • [K0RV] K0RV

Im at best mediocre when it comes to playing heavies and tank destroyers, but when it comes to mediums I am utter and complete garbage. I charge out there whistling "colonel bogey's march" and within seconds, my tank is on fire and Im 'escaping' back to the garage. I have been struggling with the lovely Cromwell but I never got it to work, so I moved on to the Comet. No luck! You can actually hit things with the gun, which the Cromwell cant, but nevertheless I get clobbered like a baby seal at a norweigian smörgåsbord.

now to the question: is there a medium tank out there that is so easy to play, that a twit like me can learn the ropes with it?

_6i6_ #2 Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:02 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3965 battles

im newb also but id say t-34-85m?

Aria_Company #3 Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:04 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4291 battles
  • [S3RPE] S3RPE
T-34-85, M4, cromwell

Bexleyheath #4 Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:09 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3150 battles
  • [K0RV] K0RV

Noted! But the interwebs says that the Cromwell plays like a light tank, not a medium?

...my end goal is of course to play the magnificent Centurion well enough that people stop saying I should uninstall the game or perform sexual acts with a close relative :(

Wayneable #5 Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:10 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41818 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Matters on your play style, but off the top of my head i would say - t-34, M4 Sherman ( with the derp ) and the Cromwell.

The t.34 and the M4 are more your all rounders, ok at everything but not great at anything, and the Cromwell is you fast and maneuverable flaking tank

TungstenHitman #6 Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:31 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 19286 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

Plenty of them out there but I'd have to say the T-34-85 or if you're feeling like spending a few bucks, the 85M version. IMO this tank encapsulates what a proper medium tank should be so far as it can multi-role and do everything good enough. A good medium tanks should have a little of everything from all the other main classes imo. Decent mobility, view range, camo, gun handling, alpha and pen, hp, turret armor and reasonably small stature, not some big lump. The T-34-85 ticks all those boxes better than most others so you can dip your toe in many playstyles as during a battle as needs be... never as fast as a light tank never as slow as a heavy never as accurate as TD never as inaccurate as a heavy never as invisible as light or TD never as obvious as heavy never as under-gunned as a light never as powerfully gunned as a heavy or TD... etc. It has acceptable gun depression also for a Ruski and if you can master this tank, you wont find any other out of your depth.

The standard T-34-85 is one of my favorites actually and not simply an inferior version to the 85M since the standard T34-85 has much better mobility, acceleration, hits better top speeds, climbs hills much better etc while the 85M moves much more like a heavy tbh, so I actually prefer the standard T-34-85. It's more "medium tank"

Balc0ra #7 Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:41 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 63409 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostBexleyheath, on 14 June 2018 - 09:09 PM, said:

Noted! But the interwebs says that the Cromwell plays like a light tank, not a medium?

Mediums have more then one style like any class. Cromwell is a support med that won't bounce a single thing. And it's a great bully flanker. Tier 5 meds in general do most roles well. And are good all-rounders. US and Russian meds are not the worst then. Even on tier 6. More forgiving and can deal with most stuff. Jumbo and T-34-85M to name some. 

So it depends on what your line goals are. And as that is the Cent 1. The Comet does a good job preparing you for that tank. As it's a med that works best on ridge lines or when you have the luxury of flanking. Cromwell compared to that is not really close.  So stick with the Comet if the Cent 1 is your goal. Learn to use the turret mixed with the gun depression. And if that doesn't work... find your other meds and support them by following behind them, or flanking with them. As that's a good 2nd role for the Cent later anyway. Just.. don't wander alone or do to many 1 vs 1's in it. As even as top tier.. you will trade to badly vs most targets with the Comet, even if you win. 

Xandania #8 Posted 15 June 2018 - 06:06 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34868 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-

View PostBexleyheath, on 14 June 2018 - 08:09 PM, said:

...my end goal is of course to play the magnificent Centurion well enough that people stop saying I should uninstall the game or perform sexual acts with a close relative :(

I should not look at peoples avatar pictures. In your case I can't help but read the whole thing in a Stephen Fry voice.....

...which actually turns out surprisingly good.

marlboro80 #9 Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:45 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 13453 battles
Your not even mediocre with the heavys, you are bad.
I would recommend you to not try meds before you didn’t master the heavys. They require even more skill. Heavys are more forgiving just go city and brawl.
But if you insist on doing so, any T34/44 variants will do the job.

Bexleyheath #10 Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:00 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3150 battles
  • [K0RV] K0RV

Yes, when I said "mediocre" it was more of a euphemism for bad. Not complete garbage, but certainly nowhere near acceptable! :teethhappy:

I have been playing the Centurions on the test server and I generally do much better than in the Cromwell or the Comet. Although, that might be because people tend to play like drunk baboons in the CT?

View PostXandania, on 15 June 2018 - 06:06 AM, said:

I should not look at peoples avatar pictures. In your case I can't help but read the whole thing in a Stephen Fry voice.....

...which actually turns out surprisingly good.

It's the voice in my head when I write, and the voice you should be reading it with. So you're right on track!

...my normal english IRL speaking voice is less dramatic, but it's still very much R.P due to being a very odd child.

Edited by Bexleyheath, 15 June 2018 - 10:11 AM.

Isharial #11 Posted 15 June 2018 - 06:00 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18657 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

T-34, Pz 4H, M4, something in T5 (but maybe not the G1R, that has a weird crew make up) 

stay out of T6 IMO, for learning the playstyle, as you'll be facing T7 and T8 meds, so its certainly harder to learn there, but if you decide on the challenge, IMO, go for the VK 300P, people underestimate it, and the alpha is very nice on a T6 medium

just don't use the useless pile of junk that is the T-34-85... I found even the Chinese ones better than this pos, dunno why... :amazed: not a tank id wish on anyone

oh and " you shot my speckled jim! " :P

Unicorn_of_Steel #12 Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:19 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4582 battles
  • [R4MBO] R4MBO
I find the Pz. III/IV to be a rather comfortable med: fast, some workable armor and a nice gun. No premium so no real money involved.

Bexleyheath #13 Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:27 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3150 battles
  • [K0RV] K0RV

Im beginning to think that Marlboro fellow was right. I've been trying to learn medium tank gameplay since I made this post, and all that I've accomplished is to lower my already poor stats. Perhaps I need to learn Heavies and TD's properly before I can begin to get into mediums.

My stats in the T34 are hillariously bad: 20(!) WN8 and 25% winratio :teethhappy:

SmellyGarbage #14 Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:03 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 18879 battles
  • [EQ-X] EQ-X

Maybe start watching some youtubers, you will learn a lot from them. Watch those tanks you are interested in.

The P.43 bis is a medium that plays more or less like a heavium and because of the speed might bring you not in trouble when the game just starts and u are rushing to a spot. But like others say the 34-85(M) might be a good choice as well

mpf1959 #15 Posted 22 June 2018 - 12:12 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11370 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I play mainly T4 and 5, and like the Japanese chi-he, the Italian P43, the German Panzer 4H, the U.S. M4 Sherman, and the Queen of the Desert Matilda. What I do is just keep going down all the various nations trees and keep trying them till something clicks, the chi-he was a very pleasant surprise. The Russia mediums were terrible for me, or I was terrible for them, but anyway it didn't work! All the paper stats I believe to be largely bollacks, and not to be taken seriously.

marlboro80 #16 Posted Today, 02:18 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 13453 battles

Heavy Tank gameplay is easier, they are less fast normally you just have to decide which flank to go at the beginning and you normally stick to it.

Your stats are bad because you don’t deal enough damage to the enemy. 
Your first goal should be to at least deal your own hp pool as damage to the enemy also on a regular base every match.
And don’t advance in tiers that fast doesn’t do you any favours.
Sticking to low tiers makes it easier for you as there are more inexperienced players also playing, crews of enemy are not so well trained, many don’t afford the credits for equipment on low tiers, so it schould be easier to play a good role there.
Build up your crews properly. Use equipment on the tanks. Learn about side scraping, common positions and weak spots and your results will get better.

Also heavys tank crews don’t require as many crew skills to perform as well as mediums.

brothers in arms, repairs+ sixth send and the gunhandling skills are more then enough. For most mediums you also schould have concealment, and viewrange which takes a lot of games to get there. 
I see you already have the conqueror, I know it’s Tott at the moment, but Tier 10 is not the endgame, can’t be fun getting your [edited]whipped the whole time.

Edited by marlboro80, Today, 02:35 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

FedJo