Is it just my impression that the quality of gameplay is going down or is it real?

dumb

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

kaneAAA #1 Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:10 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39243 battles
  • [SKRAP] SKRAP

Last few weeks I've noticed that teams are on the point of being totally braindead. I like to play light tanks for example and in the past when i would spot obvious targets in the open there would be support fire. These days you can spot multiple tanks in an open field ready for picking and noone in your team is even aware of it. I'm talking about the usual opening plays where you would expect a decent light tank player to be spotting. Also lots of players in all sorts of classes redline camping and this is becoming such a common feature, where 2 thirds of your team are way back that its happening in every game pretty much, and anyone who dares to do something is basically the only unsupported target the enemy team have to worry about (cue arty focus etc.)

At the moment as it stands instead of playing the game, I'm enduring depressing teams and tempted to just do something else.

Are good players dying off from this game, and is WOT really getting dumber and dumber? 

Edited by kaneAAA, 16 June 2018 - 11:13 AM.

NoobySkooby #2 Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:20 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 15053 battles

Not so sure about this but a good player who regularly kill s3 or four tankslast night rage quit the game, plus it is summer, plus it is also the weekend, so players could be drunk. or just playing to pass the time while they wait to go out with their mates, lots of reasons really.

never forget either that most people come in the game wanting to drive tanks around and shoot crap, not really giving a toss about game mechanics, all that guff is for the stat whore bores anyway.

If you really must do something else then try World of warships, overal that seems a far better balanced game than WoT's.

Aikl #3 Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:15 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 26035 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Hard to tell if good players actually are quitting and/or playing less, there is simply no statistic on it. Circumstantial evidence could work, but there's bound to be tons of players leaving anyway. Gameplay features would be more relevant. Would good players, that presumably enjoy getting a return for their skill, bother with a game where they couldn't use their 'skill' in any relevant way? Probably not.

Doubt that's a concern for Wargaming. Stuff like the matchmaking bears clear signs of game design intended to get people 'hooked' rather than making a good game. As for 'good' players, while WoT never was a skill-centric game, it was a tactical shooter. You could swing battles by flanking or taking uncommon routes. That's not a thing anymore - the 'tactical' aspect has gone out the window. Maps are based around three lanes, 'TD spots' and dedicated scouting bushes. That's definitely predictable and hence dumbed-down gameplay - as is removing weakspots, "improving" the matchmaker to its current state and defaulting to toe-to-toe brawling as the default way to win a match. 

Would be preferable if Wargaming bothered to be up-front about what their intentions are, but I bet no one really wants to play a game that even the developer admits is intentionally dumbed-down. Heck, would be great if they even communicated at all. Seen an English staff member around here lately?

Enforcer1975 #4 Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:39 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20973 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG
I think we have a flood of bad players.
They are still advertising for the game.
I have seen a lot of low battlecount players in high tiers.

UrQuan #5 Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20089 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostAikl, on 16 June 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

Heck, would be great if they even communicated at all. Seen an English staff member around here lately?

Indeed, fun thing is they actually got active staff members that communicate, just never english ones as you point out. (you can keep track of them here: WoT-Forums - column on the right, but the only active ones they got are polish & French ( German too, but don't see the german one active atm?)

Also, I can get why OP got tired of the game. 3-5-7 format can be really exhausting at times due to the amount of bottomtier games you get through it. The real ugly part comes when you are toptier really. Sure, if you're good, it's stompin' time & even in a loss, you put up nice numbers & you can blame the team.

But if you're not that good at the game, toptier is just a cursed blessing, because that good player a tier or two lower can still ruin on your parade & make the match crap, leaving you with nothing after you had the displeasure of 'enjoying' bottomtier games.

It's why the old MM system was better in that regard, you got more toptier games, so if you did bad, it wasn't such a biggie, you would get another chance later. 

This game showcases what I mean: KV-4 Defender. I'm good at driving KV-4. When I get 3-5-7 toptier in it, the enemy must be unicums just to have a chance to win, because even with a not so good team, I can still drag m to a win, kickin' & screaming if I have to.

Edited by UrQuan, 16 June 2018 - 12:45 PM.

Karasu_Hidesuke #6 Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:44 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16170 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L
For me it's been going down for a couple of years at least.. not sure.. if this is down to my team mates or.. another factor.... Though anecdotal evidence seems to point that the teams are now more unbalanced than before.

UrQuan #7 Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:55 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20089 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBrowarszky, on 16 June 2018 - 12:44 PM, said:

For me it's been going down for a couple of years at least.. not sure.. if this is down to my team mates or.. another factor.... Though anecdotal evidence seems to point that the teams are now more unbalanced than before.

I feel it's the opposite really, the game balanced teams too much & hence the results can steamroll much easier in unbalanced results. And so you end up hoping that you got the better one of each class. Previous, you could have a good player in a med, but it got compensated by your 3 average players in a med on the opposing team.

I'm good in the KV-4, previously, if I got toptier in it, it wasn't a guaranteed win, because enemy likely had a bunch of toptier T8's too, so I had to compensate for the bad T8 HT's on my team to overcome the enemy T8 HT's.

Now this is no longer the case. Toptier 3-5-7? I don't need to compensate for my bad team T8 HT's. I can show them the full power of my KV-4 & crush the opposition like a grapefruit. I only lose such matchsetup now if my team is either utter bonkers, or their T8 is an unicum that gets team-support. Or I make some real dumb mistakes.

Bottomtier? I better hope we got the good armored HT's, because my KV-4 against the enemy Type 5 or Object 705 is not really gonna work, unless I got at least a few awesome teammates who can support me bigtime. (in case our toptier HT's were not that good)

Tbh, in a 3-5-7 system, the top 3 on each team got too much weight to influence the battle, causing more unbalanced team-results in the end. Wouldn't be much of an issue if it wasn't so common.

Evilier_than_Skeletor #8 Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18289 battles
  • [TSOP] TSOP

View PostUrQuan, on 16 June 2018 - 12:42 PM, said:

Also, I can get why OP got tired of the game. 3-5-7 format can be really exhausting at times due to the amount of bottomtier games you get through it. The real ugly part comes when you are toptier really. Sure, if you're good, it's stompin' time & even in a loss, you put up nice numbers & you can blame the team.

But if you're not that good at the game, toptier is just a cursed blessing, because that good player a tier or two lower can still ruin on your parade & make the match crap, leaving you with nothing after you had the displeasure of 'enjoying' bottomtier games.

It's why the old MM system was better in that regard, you got more toptier games, so if you did bad, it wasn't such a biggie, you would get another chance later.

Yup. Also, been noticing that since 3-5-7 was deemed to work as intended (would be nice to know what those intentions are), match duration has gone down. Except for maybe tiers 9 & 10, matches are won or lost in the first 2-3 minutes and over in 5.

Schepel #9 Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:02 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 61645 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
My experience is the same. The game seems flooded with 'zombies' (= serial AFK/bot players who occasionally play the game). I am playing the football mode, but otherwise I am more or less inactive. I refuse to waste my time on games where more than half is playing accounts which are painfully obvious used to afk/bot. (= sub 45% w/r with a sub 100 WN8) I like the concept of WOT, and I happily spent a lot of money on the game, but as things stand, it has largely ceased to be 'fun'. Therefore, I am not spending any more money.

Aikl #10 Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:39 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 26035 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostUrQuan, on 16 June 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

Indeed, fun thing is they actually got active staff members that communicate, just never english ones as you point out. (you can keep track of them here: WoT-Forums - column on the right, but the only active ones they got are polish & French ( German too, but don't see the german one active atm?)

(...)

I keep track of that one too. Kind of weird; most of the staff are fully bilingual and would be more than competent to communicate with us - if deemed necessary or if WGEU wanted it.

You make good points with the other stuff. Carrying a team alone is really cool, but the top-tier games when you just roll over the enemy team are really uninteresting. I feel like I can accept a lot of issues with the game - but what really kills it for me is being forced into constant unimaginative, linear gameplay regardless of what I play. 

kaneAAA #11 Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:10 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39243 battles
  • [SKRAP] SKRAP
After a break tried another 3 games in light tanks getting into nice positions spotting a nice line of slow heavy tanks in the open plodding into their initial positions.. Easy game.. They take about 20 seconds, have a whole team behind me..... 0 spotting damage, pinging the map, tds behind me, nothing. Changing positions. Nothing.  Game lost. Rinse repeat. 3 losses. Used to be the case would get at least 2000 spotting no problem. Quit. More enjoyable not to play.

lnfernaI #12 Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:15 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 29190 battles
  • [ALLGE] ALLGE
Everything goes down the drain when it comes to weekends. Including intellect.

kaneAAA #13 Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:43 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39243 battles
  • [SKRAP] SKRAP

View PostlnfernaI, on 16 June 2018 - 01:15 PM, said:

Everything goes down the drain when it comes to weekends. Including intellect.

Yes but there are limits. It really is becoming a bottom feeding cess pit. I miss front line at least there were creative options but in ransoms you're just at the mercy of the brain dead relined camping brigade. 

CoDiGGo #14 Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15024 battles
  • [NEUR0] NEUR0

Good players playing less and less:

1. OBj. 257, Defender, 268-4, Strv, ... sometimes you cant overplay those tanks with skill. Armor+rngesus>skill

2.  One sided games, farm or be farmed.. no room to display/enjoy your hard trained money invested skills.

Bordhaw #15 Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:23 PM

Major

• Player
  • 11994 battles

View PostkaneAAA, on 16 June 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

Last few weeks I've noticed that teams are on the point of being totally braindead. I like to play light tanks for example and in the past when i would spot obvious targets in the open there would be support fire. These days you can spot multiple tanks in an open field ready for picking and noone in your team is even aware of it. I'm talking about the usual opening plays where you would expect a decent light tank player to be spotting. Also lots of players in all sorts of classes redline camping and this is becoming such a common feature, where 2 thirds of your team are way back that its happening in every game pretty much, and anyone who dares to do something is basically the only unsupported target the enemy team have to worry about (cue arty focus etc.)

At the moment as it stands instead of playing the game, I'm enduring depressing teams and tempted to just do something else.

Are good players dying off from this game, and is WOT really getting dumber and dumber? 

I would agree in general but more and more frequently I see teams of "good" players get steam rolled nearly as often as a team of "noobs". 

Either getting over run and out played, too much camping or one side of map trains.

clixor #16 Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:24 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 51948 battles

It;s not only on weekends nowadays. I played some battles this week and teams were FULL of 43 - 45% players. Now, i remember the days that a 43% player was surely a (parttime) bot, but now it's just a common appearance. 

And how they get to that pisspoor level, being AFK for all or most of the battle, not being able to pen a single shot in a battle, driving a MAUS in fjords and just RRR through the open middle in a all tier10 battle etc.etc.  Now multiple that by 2 - 5 of such players in your team. I'm really start to think of suiciding myself if teams just are unwilling to try, it's just a waste of my time.

Just put these 'be afk / play for fun' players on a seperate server and let the players who really WANT to enjoy this game play which each other.

CircleOfSorrow #17 Posted 17 June 2018 - 01:47 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29236 battles
I get enough games in lights on Campinovka to know that the zombie apocalypse has begun.  What used to be an easy time of assistance damage now occasionally acts as an episode of the Twilight Zone as spotted enemy tanks sit in the open or crawl about at low speed while your team does its best to remember each time to inhale.  I don't play this game anywhere near as much as I once did, and even watching streams is painful because of all the brainless players.

vasilinhorulezz #18 Posted 17 June 2018 - 01:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22813 battles

Older players are leaving the game (for a lot of reasons), and all the tomatoes you met at low tiers have finally unlocked their tier 10s.

I'm also in the mind that the gameplay at high tiers has been toned down, and pretty sure that you meat a lot more bad players, that let's say two years ago.

Jigabachi #19 Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:09 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
We are swamped with utterly bad players and new players rushing the tiers, while the average or above average players go extinct. The only players who stay seem to be the padders and unicorns... and the insane people that call themselves forumites.

Karasu_Hidesuke #20 Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:23 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16170 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L

View Postvasilinhorulezz, on 17 June 2018 - 12:53 PM, said:

Older players are leaving the game (for a lot of reasons), and all the tomatoes you met at low tiers have finally unlocked their tier 10s.

I'm also in the mind that the gameplay at high tiers has been toned down, and pretty sure that you meat a lot more bad players, that let's say two years ago.

View PostJigabachi, on 17 June 2018 - 01:09 PM, said:

We are swamped with utterly bad players and new players rushing the tiers, while the average or above average players go extinct. The only players who stay seem to be the padders and unicorns... and the insane people that call themselves forumites.

Well.. if that were so I should be performing better than before as the skill gap between me and the opposition should have become less wide.. but ... I'm not, really.

Also tagged with dumb

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users