A good enough reason I guess....

rage team kill toxicity shishx lemmingrush

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

MPV_11 #1 Posted 17 June 2018 - 06:16 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29061 battles

Just been team killed for no obvious reason and in the after game chat I was informed by the person that killed me that the reason for this was 'what I did in game is natural selection' (he then of course pointed out his superior stats to me). The discussion deteriorated from there and will probably earn me (another) chat ban.

By coincidence, only 15 minutes earlier I had watched a Shishx video (starring Lemmingrush and a very squeaky chair) on toxicity in the game where their eventual conclusion was that ultimately RNG (leading to gold ammo use, overly OP tanks etc...)  is the source of most of the frustration that drives the toxicity.

You would think that any game that engenders such toxicity would fail, but instead I find it actually draws you in and that people who would normally never dream of being so toxic (including myself except when driving or watching England play football - the joy to come) actually exhibit behaviour that they normally never would in every day life (I guess that anonymity can bring out the worst in most of us).

I often wondered why team killing was allowed as it is of no obvious benefit to anyone, but perhaps WG are not so stupid after all.

Homer_J #2 Posted 17 June 2018 - 06:34 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28744 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostMPV_11, on 17 June 2018 - 06:16 PM, said:

RNG (leading to gold ammo use, overly OP tanks etc...)  is the source of most of the frustration that drives the toxicity.

What a load of tosh.

It's players looking for someone to blame for their own stupidity sending them to spectator mode from where there is no return.

Pleashca #3 Posted 17 June 2018 - 06:44 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 23754 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 17 June 2018 - 06:34 PM, said:

What a load of tosh.

It's players looking for someone to blame for their own stupidity sending them to spectator mode from where there is no return.

What a load of tosh.

It's players with preferential match making and retarded luck that use their stats to justify a broken game.

krismorgan #4 Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:00 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 32230 battles
  • [UKT] UKT
Its the sprouts and bacons fault.

Erwin_Von_Braun #5 Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:07 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 38254 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postkrismorgan, on 17 June 2018 - 07:00 PM, said:

Sprouts & bacon you say?

Hmm?

That's not a bad idea.............. Maybe all squished together with some strong blue cheese?

mmmmmmmmmm

MPV_11 #6 Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:38 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29061 battles

"guess that anonymity can bring out the worst in most of us"

Sort of proves the point I guess... :teethhappy:

NoobySkooby #7 Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:46 PM

Major

• Player
  • 13025 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

I kind of get annoyed when i see it happen, the other day i was in a game and guy in a Skorpion G just unloaded on anarty before he even got out of the spawn, As I was driving in the opposite direction  to the Skorpion guy I could do nothing about it but it enraged me enough to want to TK the Skorpion.

In yet another game, I was pushed into the line of fire by some [edited]in Conqueror, I didn't get hit luckily but I did put on in the back of his turret, he replied in kind which I could live with, but my attitudes towards TK's is hardening to the point of taking revenge, and i know I shouldn't, just so damn frustrating to see.

Edited by NoobySkooby, 25 June 2018 - 09:15 AM.

WindSplitter1 #8 Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:48 PM

Major

• Player
  • 15939 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

View PostMPV_11, on 17 June 2018 - 05:16 PM, said:

Just been team killed for no obvious reason and in the after game chat I was informed by the person that killed me that the reason for this was 'what I did in game is natural selection' (he then of course pointed out his superior stats to me). The discussion deteriorated from there and will probably earn me (another) chat ban.

By coincidence, only 15 minutes earlier I had watched a Shishx video (starring Lemmingrush and a very squeaky chair) on toxicity in the game where their eventual conclusion was that ultimately RNG (leading to gold ammo use, overly OP tanks etc...)  is the source of most of the frustration that drives the toxicity.

You would think that any game that engenders such toxicity would fail, but instead I find it actually draws you in and that people who would normally never dream of being so toxic (including myself except when driving or watching England play football - the joy to come) actually exhibit behaviour that they normally never would in every day life (I guess that anonymity can bring out the worst in most of us).

I often wondered why team killing was allowed as it is of no obvious benefit to anyone, but perhaps WG are not so stupid after all.

It's quite sad. I've made two posts about it. No point mentioning those again, though.

It's not the actual teamkilling of friendlies that bothers me. It's the:

1. High tolerance given to team damage;
  2. Unwillingness from WG to address the issue;
  3. Lightweight punishment distributed to perpetrators.

or a combination of the above. It wouldn't be too hard to give each tank its own "teamkilling" threshold to sort out the difference between a trigger happy B-C 25t tanchist or a slow shooting O-Ho derpasmatron. Time consuming yes, but how hard can it be to mess around with XML files?

WindSplitter1 #9 Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:49 PM

Major

• Player
  • 15939 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

View PostNoobySkooby, on 17 June 2018 - 07:46 PM, said:

I kind of get annoyed when i see it happe, the other day i was in a game and guy in a Skorpion G just unloaded on anarty before he even got out of the spawn, As I was driving in the opposite direction  to the Skorpion guy I could do nothing about it but it enraged me enough to want to TK the Skorpion.

If that Skorpion is a reroller, he might have been the one who teamkilled me while I was driving an M55. Sad bloke died but still finished top by experience.

Derethim #10 Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:49 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17518 battles

While RNG may be a good source of frustration with this game, I find toxic and frustrated players in BF4, where there is little to no RNG.

So the point basically flies away.

What WOULD help, is reintroducing the "all" chat. I'm tired of getting annoying PMs after battle and getting teamkilled, because someone had a bad day.

Homer_J #11 Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:50 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28744 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postkrismorgan, on 17 June 2018 - 08:00 PM, said:

In collaboration with the cheese!

MPV_11 #12 Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:57 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29061 battles

View PostWindSplitter1, on 17 June 2018 - 08:48 PM, said:

I think this is a very valid point. I will probably end up with a chat ban because I ended up venting my fury on this idiot in chat whilst although he turned blue, he'll probably get no 'punishment' whatsoever, and this just drives up my frustration level as for me TK is a lot worse offence.

I really can't think of a good reason to have team damage in the game - its not as though it stops arty or big derp guns (or anyone in fact) taking the shots when you're hugging or close to their 'kill'.

jabster #13 Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:58 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12537 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 17 June 2018 - 07:07 PM, said:

Sprouts & bacon you say?

Hmm?

That's not a bad idea.............. Maybe all squished together with some strong blue cheese?

mmmmmmmmmm

I’d be careful there as you’re adding two salty elements which will probably make it imbalanced. 

MPV_11 #14 Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:10 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29061 battles

View PostDerethim, on 17 June 2018 - 08:49 PM, said:

While RNG may be a good source of frustration with this game, I find toxic and frustrated players in BF4, where there is little to no RNG.

So the point basically flies away.

I'm not sure if you watched the video or not, but although I used this as an addition to my own post, it does explain some (but by no means all) toxicity.

When I first watched it I thought it was a bit simplistic, but when you listen to why they both think RNG is a major cause of toxicity it starts to make sense. Because of RNG you can't reliably hit weak spots, so you spam gold to overcome RNG, so WG bring in OP tanks to survive the gold spamming and so on - its a sort of virtuous circle. Its slightly different to TK but it drives frustration within the game (you miss or bounce all your shots - you can't pen - idiots driving OP tanks etc...) which adds to the toxicity (how many threads are there covering these topics?) and this just fuels other toxic behaviour.

I think we all know the internet as a whole has driven toxic behaviour and there will always be the cowardly/socially awkward or excluded people who are toxic because of the anonymity the internet gives them but there are also a lot of Joe Normals who act in games in ways they would rarely do so in public.

And as for other games, I guess there are just different trigger points or mechanisms that drive Joe Normal to become toxic. Certainly in WoT my frustration levels and toxicity levels rise when I see OP tanks that I can never pen, or all my shots bounce or disappear into the stratosphere.

peekakilla #15 Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:16 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10359 battles

Just been team killed for no obvious reason and in the after game chat I was informed by the person that killed me that the reason for this was 'what I did in game is natural selection'

this has nothing to do with WOT its a bug in the human gene, few decades ago there was a little german man that "removed" people for the same reason, and many others before him....

Aikl #16 Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:29 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25547 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostMPV_11, on 17 June 2018 - 07:57 PM, said:

I think this is a very valid point. I will probably end up with a chat ban because I ended up venting my fury on this idiot in chat whilst although he turned blue, he'll probably get no 'punishment' whatsoever, and this just drives up my frustration level as for me TK is a lot worse offence.

(...)

Don't worry, tolerance for that is also rather high. Should be fine as long as you didn't suggest the immidiate need for a final solution. It's not like you're likely to get permanently chatbanned on your first offense either.

HeidenSieker #17 Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:00 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

So. Post the replay.

#Did the dog eat it - again?

Mike_Mckay #18 Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:30 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20402 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-

View PostWindSplitter1, on 17 June 2018 - 07:48 PM, said:

It's quite sad. I've made two posts about it. No point mentioning those again, though.

It's not the actual teamkilling of friendlies that bothers me. It's the:

or a combination of the above. It wouldn't be too hard to give each tank its own "teamkilling" threshold to sort out the difference between a trigger happy B-C 25t tanchist or a slow shooting O-Ho derpasmatron. Time consuming yes, but how hard can it be to mess around with XML files?

The amount of damage NEEDS to be high as you cant stop some moron from driving in front of you when youre aimed in on a target just as you fire

That's their fault most of the time, but the game can only record who damages who

The better solution would simply be to remove team damage completely then problem solved, idiots cant shoot their own team mates and punishment ceases to even be a discussion any more

Spurtung #19 Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:22 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 63676 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostDerethim, on 17 June 2018 - 09:49 PM, said:

What WOULD help, is reintroducing the "all" chat. I'm tired of getting annoying PMs after battle and getting teamkilled, because someone had a bad day.

Yeah, giving 'first blood' the chance of telling the enemy where everyone is and what they're doing solves everything...

Homer_J #20 Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:32 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28744 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSpurtung, on 18 June 2018 - 09:22 AM, said:

Yeah, giving 'first blood' the chance of telling the enemy where everyone is and what they're doing solves everything...

Replay or it never happened.

I saw the odd time where the last guy was hiding at the back dragging the game on longer than needed against 10 enemies where his "position" was given away - if you can call a 100m square a position.  Other than that it really didn't happen.

Also tagged with rage, team kill, toxicity, shishx, lemmingrush

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users