Conqueror, a little disapointed

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

lampround #1 Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:53 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12950 battles

Hi all

So been grinding the British Heavy line for tott. We all know that tier 6-7 is a challenge, and it was worth the pain for the caernarvon. Really enjoyed the tier 8 with its quick gun and decent depression and tough turret. 74 games, wr 70%, very happy. Now, tier 9, was looking forward to similar play-style, but the turret is getting penetrated alot? Am i missing something or do i need to change play-style and pull back to a support role and not try to go hull down or brawl? I notice SC gets a slight increase on turret thickness so can probably shrug off tier 9 gold rounds from similar tanks?

Thx

Sirebellus #2 Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:06 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18350 battles
In stock configuration the Conqueror is pretty much a Caernarvon with a few more hit points, a bit more front armour, a bit less armour on the back of the turret and the same gun... but you face more T10's more often (i.e. 5/10 as opposed to 3-5-7)
So probably best playing it as if you are still in a T8 tank playing bottom tier all the time

lampround #3 Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:24 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12950 battles
I should have said, have unlocked all but the final engine upgrade. Was looking forward to the top turret and gun, they look very mean ;)

XxKuzkina_MatxX #4 Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:37 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47601 battles
  • [RU18] RU18

It's a support tank. When hull down move back and forth so the enemy miss your weak spots. They are hard to hit so don't make it easy for the enemy to hit by sitting still.

Yes, the S.C got more armor but there is a lot of HEAT in tier 10 so the same goes for the S.C, don't stand still while reloading.

Simeon85 #5 Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:39 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 1097 battles
Conqueror turret is one of the best on tier 9s, you are either getting super unlucky, or you are doing something very wrong IMO.

Fibonachi #6 Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:42 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 25025 battles
  • [FREEP] FREEP

I feel a bit cheated. The Turret looks OK, but is riddled with weakspots. Half your gun mantlet is vulnerable to tierX guns or just regular APCR spammers, there's also a few flat spots on the turret with the same problem - turret ring, cheeks. Obviously the stock turret is even worse. If they are slightly to your side (10-15 degrees) the gun mantlet can be penetrated by as low as 180 pen). That's considerably worse than the Caernarvon turret.

We just have to suffer until the SConq I guess.

Suurpolskija #7 Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:43 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18692 battles
  • [URHO] URHO
M'yeah. I was a bit disappointed with it, Caernarvon being so good. It's still alright. I like it.

pecopad #8 Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:48 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22388 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

View PostSimeon85, on 18 June 2018 - 11:39 AM, said:

Conqueror turret is one of the best on tier 9s, you are either getting super unlucky, or you are doing something very wrong IMO.

No its is not. It has a big whole on the gun mantlet and anyone can pen the commanders hatch. It's the worst tier 9 heavy tank by far.

Conqueror is a big turd with an ok gun.

Simeon85 #9 Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:50 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 1097 battles

View Postpecopad, on 18 June 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

No its is not. It has a big whole on the gun mantlet and anyone can pen the commanders hatch. It's the worst tier 9 heavy tank by far.

Conqueror is a big turd with an ok gun.

No.

It is the best tier 9 heavy tank, if you don't know how to use it that is your problem.

It's a beast hull down, has an amazing gun, and has decent mobility for a heavy. 

pecopad #10 Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22388 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

View PostSimeon85, on 18 June 2018 - 11:50 AM, said:

No.

It is the best tier 9 heavy tank, if you don't know how to use it that is your problem.

It's a beast hull down, has an amazing gun, and has decent mobility for a heavy. 

Have you checked the tank curves for the Conqueror?... It has an amazing 48.99% winrate

And how can you hull down in a tank with 57 mm weakspot just above your gun.,  154 mm commander hatch, and a 256 gun mantlet... Most of the tier VIII can pen your mantlet firing gold, and anything firing HE will just obliterate you.

Also you can track and do damage on a Conqueror with a full front shot, so ridge firing is very dangerous....

And where did you get the good mobility... Conqueror is only faster than the super heavies, even the STI is 20% faster.

Conqueror is a very high skill tank.... Good tank for the ones who all tanks are good anyway, and for those who play heavy tanks like TDs.

Edited by pecopad, 18 June 2018 - 12:22 PM.

lampround #11 Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:44 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12950 battles
Thanks so far, at least i know the problem is the way i'm playing the tank now, gives me something to work at, will let the Russian heavies lead the way. The other main difference to tier 8 is that the conq is not quite so good at hill poking which is a shame.

Radu_Korne #12 Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27938 battles
  • [WEBAN] WEBAN

The turret works only if you have the enemy straight in front and wiggle a lot back and forth while reloading. It has weakspots and if you are facing multiple enemies they are usually able to pen it from a side angle easy. Choose your engagements, but don't think this is a Sconq turret coz it's not. Only thing I disliked about this tank was the speed and lack of side armour. Turret was good, but it's not made of titanium, lads. I'm ashamed of admitting, but I actually liked the M103 more because of the speed, even though that one has WEAK armour, it was certainly better at pushing a flank and getting around places.

High skill tank? Dude, it's tier 9, go play a Russian tank if you want W and left click style, what were you expecting, being hulldown and getting wrecked only by arty? :facepalm: You guys are spoilt, I played that Caern when it was pure pain back in the days, now it has a better turret than Conq!

DangerMouse #13 Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 24729 battles
  • [FLOG] FLOG

As with most Brit tanks it has a good gun and turret and terrible hull armour, the better the player the greater the reward for these types of tanks.

Unicums regularly used to rave about the 215b as its gun was amazing, most players struggled terribly in it as its armour was poor, generally tanks like the ruskies IS-7 etc are far more forgiving and will bounce side shots etc.

DM

unrealname #14 Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21774 battles
Conqueror weak confirmed, pls buff wg. But serioulsy its definitely one of the best tier 9 heavies with an excellent gun, only problem is that you cant play it just by pressing w key.

Junglist_ #15 Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35855 battles
Conqueror is an amazing tank. Turret is not too bad but in my experience it can't be relied on although it can pull of some bounces.

lampround #16 Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:30 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12950 battles
I thought press W and left click was World of Warships ;)

pecopad #17 Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:59 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22388 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

View Postunrealname, on 18 June 2018 - 01:17 PM, said:

Conqueror weak confirmed, pls buff wg. But serioulsy its definitely one of the best tier 9 heavies with an excellent gun, only problem is that you cant play it just by pressing w key.

Nobody is questioning the Conqueror's Gun, its good, but that's not Heavy tanks should be all about. Its slow has no Armour and the Alfa/DPM is ok

And there are many heavy tanks where you don't just press W, the Emil II, the Amx, T10, the 257 etc which are must faster and flexible than the Conqueror.

Conqueror is good for red line sniping, and 2nd line supporting in which case you are much better off going with a med like the Patton or a TD.

One thing that puzzles me is why is the Conqueror so slow...it has much better power to weight ratio than most of the tier 9 heavy tanks, yet its one of the slowest.

With Canaeveron mobility I think the Conqueror would be a good tank, but the way it is now, its IMHO the worst tier 9 heavy

lampround #18 Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:14 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12950 battles

View Postpecopad, on 18 June 2018 - 12:59 PM, said:

Nobody is questioning the Conqueror's Gun, its good, but that's not Heavy tanks should be all about. Its slow has no Armour and the Alfa/DPM is ok

And there are many heavy tanks where you don't just press W, the Emil II, the Amx, T10, the 257 etc which are must faster and flexible than the Conqueror.

Conqueror is good for red line sniping, and 2nd line supporting in which case you are much better off going with a med like the Patton or a TD.

One thing that puzzles me is why is the Conqueror so slow...it has much better power to weight ratio than most of the tier 9 heavy tanks, yet its one of the slowest.

With Canaeveron mobility I think the Conqueror would be a good tank, but the way it is now, its IMHO the worst tier 9 heavy

I suppose you have hit the nail on the head. For me the Conq does not feel like an upgrade to the Cane.

Tonight i will play less from the frontline.... but i know damn well my teams will be raging that im hanging back :))

Edited by lampround, 18 June 2018 - 02:17 PM.

pecopad #19 Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22388 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

View Postlampround, on 18 June 2018 - 02:14 PM, said:

I suppose you have hit the nail on the head. For me the Conq does not feel like an upgrade to the Cane.

Tonight i will play less from the frontline.... but i know damn well my teams will be raging that im hanging back :))

I have the same problem, that why I dislike this tank so much...and do not ever, but ever go hull down... you only get frustrated with the number of pens you get on your cupola, Mantlet, etc Very frustrating, and the gun also has its days.... the number of bounces I get,, its just amazing. 

I also think there is a hitbox bug on the turret and frontal tracks since patch 1.0, that's why people who grinded before 1.0 are not relating.... at least that's the only reason I can understand people saying Conquerors can hulldown...

Right now, some games I just pretend I'm AFK at the start, so I don't get insulted for not going to the heavy places

Sfinski #20 Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:39 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 30913 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View Postpecopad, on 18 June 2018 - 01:14 PM, said:

Have you checked the tank curves for the Conqueror?... It has an amazing 48.99% winrate

And how can you hull down in a tank with 57 mm weakspot just above your gun (Cant find such weakspot).,  154 mm commander hatch, and a 256 gun mantlet... Most of the tier VIII can pen your mantlet firing gold, and anything firing HE will just obliterate you.

Also you can track and do damage on a Conqueror with a full front shot, so ridge firing is very dangerous.... (No you cant)

And where did you get the good mobility... Conqueror is only faster than the super heavies, even the STI is 20% faster. (Dont just look at the top speed. Take in account the traverse and acceleration, which with it beats ST-I easily.)

Conqueror is a very high skill tank.... Good tank for the ones who all tanks are good anyway, and for those who play heavy tanks like TDs. (It were high skill tank when it were faster and with less armour, now its a lot easier to use. )

Edit, also, it's not a redline tank, none of the heavies are, no matter how little armour they have...

Edited by Sfinski, 18 June 2018 - 02:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users