Ways to enjoy randoms at Tier 8 more

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

axell92108 #1 Posted 19 June 2018 - 03:59 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3075 battles
  • [DHMC] DHMC

I used to love this game more than p*ssy, I swear playing this game in 2015-16 was awesome. The powercreep and OP tanks were not that game breaking. There was no 3/5/7 crap. Old maps didn't look super realistic but they were fun to play.

The latest changes have improved graphics and sounds so the game is pretty now, but the map changes suck a$$ and there are many annoying invisible rock polygons on many rocky maps. Too many OP premiums and the amount of good players playing Tier 9 and 10 makes your Tier 8 efforts in a 3/5/7 make minimal impact.

How do you cope with this bs? I can't play *for fun* (aka playing like a 48% wr bot and not carrying at all) but playing for the win is quite stressful when you're always the underdog (okay not always, 66% of the time.)

I would also prefer not to "quit" the game, because there are no good alternatives (tried WT - boring, AW - no thanks) and I've spend quite some dosh on premium tanks.

I hope "don't play tier 8 at all" is not the only solution. I need to grind credits, and I want to improve my stats in tier 8 tanks (like the cursed T34)

Edited by axell92108, 19 June 2018 - 04:03 PM.

Balc0ra #2 Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:18 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 67404 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

I have no issues with most of my tier 8 premiums. Sure 3-5-7 is not ideal for tier 8 MM. But still, you want credits you gotta stick with it for now. And thus find one that works for your style of play and the challenges facing it that you pointed out. ELC 90 and CDA 105 are the two for me atm that works regardless. One doesn't rely on the gun to farm credits. The other has 260 pen and can easily rape most tier X's with more then 50% chance to pen most times head on, and good camo/mobility. 

IS-6 is broken for me due to all the +0 games, and 220mm weakspots in the new meta there with my 175 pen gun don't work to well. Same reason why I don't touch my WZ-111. Lowe still works great even in +2 with that turret mantle and pen. And I have no issues on the last crew I trained there recently. T34 only has pen, and tbh was bad even 3 years ago. So there I prefer even the T14 over it with the recent crew training there I did.  And suffers worse with each meta that goes. 

axell92108 #3 Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:34 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3075 battles
  • [DHMC] DHMC

View PostBalc0ra, on 19 June 2018 - 03:18 PM, said:

I have no issues with most of my tier 8 premiums. Sure 3-5-7 is not ideal for tier 8 MM. But still, you want credits you gotta stick with it for now. And thus find one that works for your style of play and the challenges facing it that you pointed out. ELC 90 and CDA 105 are the two for me atm that works regardless. One doesn't rely on the gun to farm credits. The other has 260 pen and can easily rape most tier X's with more then 50% chance to pen most times head on, and good camo/mobility. 

IS-6 is broken for me due to all the +0 games, and 220mm weakspots in the new meta there with my 175 pen gun don't work to well. Same reason why I don't touch my WZ-111. Lowe still works great even in +2 with that turret mantle and pen. And I have no issues on the last crew I trained there recently. T34 only has pen, and tbh was bad even 3 years ago. So there I prefer even the T14 over it with the recent crew training there I did.  And suffers worse with each meta that goes. 

Funnily my IS-6 works pretty well, I kind of not enjoy my 112 because it seems to get worse MM than IS-6 (or I'm just being unlucky?). I also don't enjoy my Tier 6 premiums, I'm always focused by Tier 7s and 8s (could be my aggressive carry style)

UrQuan #4 Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:28 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20122 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

As you noted, T8 is harsh to play, so tanks that are less tier dependent to perform tend to be better; or got characteristics that hold up as bottomtier.

In this regard, the Lowe is a great premium tank. It's a T8 heavy, but it has great turret-armor that holds up against even TX guns at range & hulldown, as long as you don't angle it (got to look m straight in the eyes, establish dominance ;))

The UFP also holds up well. Not something to leave exposed, but it will still bounce i'ts share of shells. Mainly got to pay attention to keep those sides & LFP away from enemy guns. 

The Lowe gun is what finishes it. The high accuracy, along with the good base pen & the nice prem ammo pen solidifies it as a tank that can work a wide variety of matches to do well in.

My main creditmaker is still the KV-4 (I'm a bit of a maniac in it tho).

At the start of the 3-5-7 template launch, I had the same issue as you, I really couldn't enjoy the new MM, as I felt it was often out my hands to win or lose. So I took a break & it did me alot of good.

Now I mainly focus on doing my part in a TX game: block a good deal of damage, dish out nice damage or hold up/push a flank. Scout/spot if I absolutely have to.

If I do that & it works, the game was a success & if the team can't win, well, I still did my part, can't do anything more. If I win, I know it's partly thanks to my contribution as a bottom-tier tank.

Bonus: all the time honing my KV-4 skills in TX battles does mean that when I land toptier in a 3-5-7, it's sealclubbin' time. Woe the poor tanks that land in the red teams when I'm ready to stomp all over the map. honing your skills against T9 & TX tanks does mean the T8 is just 'fun times' to handle.

In short: focus on your own contribution in the match, not on how others peform & you'll have more fun. Also, accept that you'll be fighting an uphill battle alot with T8 tanks.

NoobySkooby #5 Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:59 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 15088 battles
I have encounted the players who flat out refuse to play tier 8, I see it as a challenge, but then everything for me is a challenge, lol

Edited by NoobySkooby, 20 June 2018 - 01:05 AM.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #6 Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:23 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 51306 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 19 June 2018 - 05:18 PM, said:

@OP

Perfect formula right there, lights work well in every tier and TDs simply don't care. They have enough pen and a more "comfortable" play style. Lowe, or any tier 8 with high standard pen, is good when bottom tier but more dependent on your top tiers to have a good game.

Personally i prefer to have a good game while being bottom/mid tier over playing a stale battle against tier 6s and 7s. That doesn't mean 3-5-7 isn't crap tho!

playre_eu #7 Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:29 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17508 battles
  • [-RSGG] -RSGG
Don't play T8 is the answer

kaneloon #8 Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:16 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28714 battles
  • [OBLIC] OBLIC

Just find tiers 8 you are good with or like to play (I now play the Emil I, it is fun). The more you play them the better you ll be. And when you are fed up of them, you change.

Play 5 battles a day if you don't want to saturate.

axell92108 #9 Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:32 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3075 battles
  • [DHMC] DHMC

View Postkaneloon, on 20 June 2018 - 12:16 AM, said:

Just find tiers 8 you are good with or like to play (I now play the Emil I, it is fun). The more you play them the better you ll be. And when you are fed up of them, you change.

Play 5 battles a day if you don't want to saturate.

But I want to play my shitty PMM tier 8s. Why does the MM hate me so much. Even if i spam gold in my Jagtiger 88 i can't touch a majority of tier 9 tanks (and tier 8s like O-Ho with its annoying troll armor)

UrQuan #10 Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:50 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20122 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postaxell92108, on 20 June 2018 - 01:32 AM, said:

But I want to play my shitty PMM tier 8s. Why does the MM hate me so much. Even if i spam gold in my Jagtiger 88 i can't touch a majority of tier 9 tanks (and tier 8s like O-Ho with its annoying troll armor)

Eh, PMM tanks got the crappiest deal tbh. Armor got beefed up with quite some new tanks at T8 & T9 & the MM template isn't doing PMM any favours by throwing them in T9 games where they meet heavy armored T8 & T9 tanks. Better carry copious amounts of prem ammo & know weakspots & if you really can't pen them; track them as often as you can.

I checked the premium tanks you got. Lowe is the best of the T8 bunch imo, despite not being PMM, the better gun will allow for much easier creditmaking then the 112 & IS-6. JT 88 sadly is simply outdated in this MM, a slow casemate TD with an inadequate gun? Nope not gonna work.

T34 could work too, but the gunhandling of that tank is kinda trollish. Also, while marked as an HT, it's more like a TD imo, slow firing powerful gun.

I also noticed you got the VK 45 3, this tier 7 tank has a very interesting quirk. It comes with a T8 credit modifier & has very cheap AP shells. I got this one as well & it really prints credits. It is a true support tank tho, but the gun is great on it.

So while not a T8 tank, you should considering playing this tank more if you want to earn credits fast. Not to mention that T7 MM is much less harsh then T8 (you get more midtier games)

Edited by UrQuan, 20 June 2018 - 01:53 AM.

Renesco #11 Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:54 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 21436 battles
  • [SOBAD] SOBAD

The trick is to have a second monitor and watch a movie or TV series while you play, then you're focusing a lot of your attention on the TV show and you don't really get to invested in your matches and constantly being fed to tier X isn't such a big deal when you're not invested.

When you think about it you spend 30 seconds at a time in arty waiting for a reload, in heavies you're kinda going to the heavy corridor and sidescraping, in tank destroyers you're usually sitting in a bush somewhere. In meds and light tanks you have to pay attention though. So far today I watched the imitation game and the truman show

axell92108 #12 Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:47 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3075 battles
  • [DHMC] DHMC

View PostUrQuan, on 20 June 2018 - 12:50 AM, said:

Eh, PMM tanks got the crappiest deal tbh. Armor got beefed up with quite some new tanks at T8 & T9 & the MM template isn't doing PMM any favours by throwing them in T9 games where they meet heavy armored T8 & T9 tanks. Better carry copious amounts of prem ammo & know weakspots & if you really can't pen them; track them as often as you can.

I checked the premium tanks you got. Lowe is the best of the T8 bunch imo, despite not being PMM, the better gun will allow for much easier creditmaking then the 112 & IS-6. JT 88 sadly is simply outdated in this MM, a slow casemate TD with an inadequate gun? Nope not gonna work.

T34 could work too, but the gunhandling of that tank is kinda trollish. Also, while marked as an HT, it's more like a TD imo, slow firing powerful gun.

I also noticed you got the VK 45 3, this tier 7 tank has a very interesting quirk. It comes with a T8 credit modifier & has very cheap AP shells. I got this one as well & it really prints credits. It is a true support tank tho, but the gun is great on it.

So while not a T8 tank, you should considering playing this tank more if you want to earn credits fast. Not to mention that T7 MM is much less harsh then T8 (you get more midtier games)

Yes, I generally enjoy playing my Tier 7 premiums. VK 45.03 is great. I'm doing great in it too. High DPG and a good winrate. I use my Lowe crew in it. AT 15A has aged well too!

T34 and JG88 are just painful to play, and my T34 winrate confirms that. While the gun has good accuracy and alpha, the absolutely hopeless gun handling paired with atrocious armor leads to T34 not being very fun to play, not even with a Case of Cola. T34 needs a turret roof buff (so it can be overmatched by only 149mm+ calibers) and it needs way better gun handling to compensate for terrible mobility and worst hull armor in class.

Like you said, I could alternatively play my VK 45 more, but I get bored of the 240 alpha after a few battles and I can't help myself but play the brawler tier 8 heavies with 390 alpha boomsticks. That's why 112 is my most played tank.

axell92108 #13 Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:49 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3075 battles
  • [DHMC] DHMC

View PostRenesco, on 20 June 2018 - 12:54 AM, said:

The trick is to have a second monitor and watch a movie or TV series while you play, then you're focusing a lot of your attention on the TV show and you don't really get to invested in your matches and constantly being fed to tier X isn't such a big deal when you're not invested.

When you think about it you spend 30 seconds at a time in arty waiting for a reload, in heavies you're kinda going to the heavy corridor and sidescraping, in tank destroyers you're usually sitting in a bush somewhere. In meds and light tanks you have to pay attention though. So far today I watched the imitation game and the truman show

Lol, i've done something similar that makes me less stressed. I installed the game on my HDD and battles load very slow because of that. Like, so slow that I get in-battle 30 seconds after the countdown timer finished. This way I can just look at where my team went and adjust my playstyle if theres a lemming train or if heavies left the heavy flank completely open, etc. (and i dont get pissed off because i didn't witness them take the wrong positions as I leave the cap)

Edited by axell92108, 20 June 2018 - 02:50 AM.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #14 Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:51 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 51306 battles

View Postaxell92108, on 20 June 2018 - 03:49 AM, said:

Lol, i've done something similar that makes me less stressed. I installed the game on my HDD and battles load very slow because of that. Like, so slow that I get in-battle 30 seconds after the countdown timer finished. This way I can just look at where my team went and adjust my playstyle if theres a lemming train or if heavies left the heavy flank completely open, etc. (and i dont get pissed off because i didn't witness them take the wrong positions as I leave the cap)

Very dangerous in certain maps.

axell92108 #15 Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:53 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3075 battles
  • [DHMC] DHMC

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 20 June 2018 - 01:51 AM, said:

Very dangerous in certain maps.

I know man, but why should I care, if more than half of my team doesn't? I'd rather just ease my job than get frustrated. I'm too young (21) to be stressing over stupid sh*t like a game called World of Tanks. 

Spurtung #16 Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:33 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 65991 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View Postaxell92108, on 19 June 2018 - 04:59 PM, said:

I used to love this game more than p*ssy

That's the saddest thing I've read in a long time.

iztok #17 Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:24 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 35215 battles

> Ways to enjoy randoms at Tier 8 more

Select tier-5 tank and press battle. At least that's what I do.

Aikl #18 Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:42 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 26054 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Stop playing when you do poorly and/or the frustration gets to you. Try to avoid both by taking small breaks and venting some frustration. Stop playing crappy tanks too, unless you can bend them into a form of 'personal challenge' - that way even a JT88 can be kind of fun.

It really helps to ignore the battle results a bit, and play against yourself instead. Of course your goal should be something useful, but you should not allow yourself to be frustrated because of your team. As for RNG, it giveth and taketh away.

The VK4503 is supposed to have credit gain almost on par with a T8, by the way. Also, get a cup of tea or do whatever makes you relax. Few things are improved as massively by beer relaxation techniques as WoT. That's a testament to how good the idea of 'tanks go boom' is in my mind.

Edited by Aikl, 20 June 2018 - 10:43 AM.

8126Jakobsson #19 Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:50 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 68908 battles
Lights and TD's. That's all. 

Grimmx #20 Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:08 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13132 battles
  • [NTRS] NTRS

The only time I play tier 8 now is with my tier 8 premium Chinese at that has the pen to handle the higher tiers.

And frontline if it returns. 

3-5-7 is so bad that I’ve stopped grinding trough tier 8 until it improves. 

GJ Wargaming!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users