Feeling disillusioned

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

xxDEATHSTARxx #1 Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:55 PM

Private

• Player
  • 10648 battles

Okay, here is how I see the game as a player.

Well done on the new gfx engine, its great to watch things like dust swirls in the desert etc. However, I think its the game-play that is  making me very delusional. After playing world of tanks, you should have the feeling (as a player) that you have enjoyed yourself and are looking forward to the next time you spend on there.

However, 90% of the random matches, for me, are spent as a bottom tier player. With three tiers within the battle, this is kinda getting me down emotionally. I will explain from my experience why this is.

Okay so you buy, or upgrade to the next tier, tank. It comes with standard equipment, usually looking forward to many upgrades. With this tank on the basic gun, you enter a battle and for 80% of battles you are top tier. Excellent you may think, however, your gun cannot penetrate the thicker armour of most enemy tanks. So you spend your whole time, either hiding or maybe if you are lucky to not be spotted get a side or rear shot and whittle down the enemy. Normally though, the 5% damage you actually do, usually ends with them seeing you and you get destroyed even if you are hiding behind a rock.

So, after a few battles you are able to upgrade your gun. BUT... you now find you are not a top tier anymore generally, say 60% you are mid tier of a three tier battle, and you are still frustrated that you cannot penetrate the amour unless you go back to doing what you were before. But now you are not a top tier tank, normally one hit from a top tier is the end of you. So you put up with it, and battle after battle in the hopes you will be able to finally get the best gun on your tank so you get to finally do some real damage. 

You finally get it, the best gun of the tank you can get. You enter a battle after battle to find that now 90% of the battles you are now the bottom tier of three tiers. Still frustrated you cannot penetrate the armour of 50% of the tanks. So now you start to think, why should I actually bother upgrading my tank at all. Because the only way you can feel happy is by camping with the hope that after the top tiers have done most of the damage, there is the slight chance that maybe you can get a side or rear shot in to finish the enemy tanks off. WoT update videos show how awesome the tank should be able to battle, with leads me to believe their videos are either same tier or lower tier battles. I would love to see their update to show you how the tank could take out a tank two tiers higher. But the video would either show them firing back so your dead, or of course it would take 15 mins to actually find a place you can guarantee to hit without the firing dispersion missing every time.

So that's how I see the the game, I have played over ten thousand battles. I have sold off most of my heavy tanks because of this reason, and I am starting to feel that only playing SPG is the way to go. Mainly because you know you are going to be bottom tier but you can actually do some damage.

Here's another thing which is also frustrating, once you have upgraded the gun in a light tank, you become a bottom tier player, that we all know, however, the are top tier light tanks the matchmaker has included. They have greater sight and spotting distance, hell even the rest of the top two tiers have greater spotting distance, so why is the upgraded light tank stuck at the bottom. Because in a battle that light tank is obsolete.

I have tried using HE and AP on every tank before I thought about writing this,but it seems to be that by only using special ammo you can actually win. Which to be honest, this game should be all about your skill, like the training video shows. So guys, please please, sort out the stupid Matchmaker system then you can understand why so many battles have people frustrated and blowing off steam within the team chat by slagging off others.

If the only way to get enjoyment out of the game is to be a tier 9 or 10 player, then honestly, why have so many tiers in the game? Three tiers in a random battle is too much, especially when the just the immediate tier above gives you so much grief.

Bulldog_Drummond #2 Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:59 PM

General

• Player
  • 28450 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostxxDEATHSTARxx, on 19 June 2018 - 04:55 PM, said:

If the only way to get enjoyment out of the game is to be a tier 9 or 10 player, then honestly, why have so many tiers in the game? Three tiers in a random battle is too much, especially when the just the immediate tier above gives you so much grief.

To my mind (and others may well have different opinions) the fun in the game is to be had at the low tiers.

Playing at tiers 8 to 10 seems to me to be masochistic.

Enforcer1975 #3 Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:00 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20445 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
If you have problems penetrating half the tanks in the game you should learn where to shoot them. It's not the game. 

Enforcer1975 #4 Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:02 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20445 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 19 June 2018 - 05:59 PM, said:

To my mind (and others may well have different opinions) the fun in the game is to be had at the low tiers.

Playing at tiers 8 to 10 seems to me to be masochistic.

I have been playing tier 9-10 ( mostly 9 ) basically every time, dropping down for some tier 7 games in my LTs if i feel the need to balance the income for the day or i do extreme credit grinding in tier 8. Grinding some xp on the 430 and M46 daily....it can be hard sometimes but that's usually only when there are too many muppets on my team. 

Edited by Enforcer1975, 19 June 2018 - 06:06 PM.

xxDEATHSTARxx #5 Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:05 PM

Private

• Player
  • 10648 battles
I do know where to shoot them, but the firing dispersion range is unpredictable. All my crew are at 100%, but unless you use an illegal mod like an aimbot. you cannot guarantee you actually hit the correct spot every time.

Bulldog_Drummond #6 Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:07 PM

General

• Player
  • 28450 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostxxDEATHSTARxx, on 19 June 2018 - 05:05 PM, said:

I do know where to shoot them, but the firing dispersion range is unpredictable. All my crew are at 100%, but unless you use an illegal mod like an aimbot. you cannot guarantee you actually hit the correct spot every time.

Uh oh. here we go.

Enforcer1975 #7 Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:07 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20445 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostxxDEATHSTARxx, on 19 June 2018 - 06:05 PM, said:

I am not using an aimbot, and tbh that's a silly accusation without proof, but i still manage to pen the majority of enemy tanks where i intended to hit them most of the time without resorting to premium spam. You must be doing something wrong. Care to share some replays of those games with bad aim? I invite you to watch some of my replays on wotreplays if you want. 

Edited by Enforcer1975, 19 June 2018 - 06:09 PM.

Erwin_Von_Braun #8 Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:37 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37324 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

:facepalm:

Seriously comrade, Drummond's right - drop down to Tier V & VI and try to enjoy the game.

Tier VIII upwards is where things start to get serious and, to be quite frank, that's where I tune out because it's just no fun - unless I'm in my high tier arty ofc :trollface:

Steve8066 #9 Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:39 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11135 battles

View PostEnforcer1975, on 19 June 2018 - 06:00 PM, said:

If you have problems penetrating half the tanks in the game you should learn where to shoot them. It's not the game. 

learning where to shoot and having the shell actually go to that place, are 2 different things.

Bigtime_Alarm #10 Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:27 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 17686 battles

Well you found the solution a good few of the players seem to have adopted.

Bulldog_Drummond #11 Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:41 PM

General

• Player
  • 28450 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSteve8066, on 19 June 2018 - 05:39 PM, said:

learning where to shoot and having the shell actually go to that place, are 2 different things.

As the Actress said to the Bishop.

Enforcer1975 #12 Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20445 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSteve8066, on 19 June 2018 - 06:39 PM, said:

Well looking at how many spots you and OP have it doesn't look like you are close the the battle. So that might be one part of the problem. I wonder how the unica manage to hit where they aim most of the time... :unsure:

That's why i asked for a replay or two to see what OP actually does when aiming and shooting. 

NoobySkooby #13 Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:50 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10681 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 19 June 2018 - 06:37 PM, said:

:facepalm:

Seriously comrade, Drummond's right - drop down to Tier V & VI and try to enjoy the game.

Tier VIII upwards is where things start to get serious and, to be quite frank, that's where I tune out because it's just no fun - unless I'm in my high tier arty ofc :trollface:

Oh I'm not so sure If I feel I'm having a bad day then a trip out in my type 4 heavy is always fun, even if I die in battle, but I am slowly coming around now to the low tiers thing, below tiers 4 the fun is not really there for me but 5 6 and 76 are ok at the moment, also getting back into the arty swing too.

Very odd thing is arty, I curse like a drunken trooper when I am hit by one, just like everyone else, but I giggle like a maniac on day release when I play one, very odd that:trollface:

Homer_J #14 Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:56 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Aimbot can only aim for you.  If you know where to aim it's just a matter of pointing with your mouse and you are already as good as any aimbot.

Steve8066 #15 Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11135 battles

View PostEnforcer1975, on 19 June 2018 - 07:43 PM, said:

Well looking at how many spots you and OP have it doesn't look like you are close the the battle. So that might be one part of the problem. I wonder how the unica manage to hit where they aim most of the time... :unsure:

That's why i asked for a replay or two to see what OP actually does when aiming and shooting. 

quite the opposite in fact, but im usually at the front with other tanks, rarely solo, so hardly surprising i have few spots due to either poor skills on some tanks or others just with better viewing range.

1 example of shells not going where you aim is that i was in a hetzer and i was nose to nose with a matilda, i fired 3 shells, 1 obviously dmg both of us, the other 2 completely missed the matilda. How is that possible if you are butt up to it? Dont say lag and it wasnt there because the middle of the 3 shells was the 1 that hit.

Edited by Steve8066, 19 June 2018 - 08:04 PM.

Enforcer1975 #16 Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:18 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20445 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSteve8066, on 19 June 2018 - 08:01 PM, said:

quite the opposite in fact, but im usually at the front with other tanks, rarely solo, so hardly surprising i have few spots due to either poor skills on some tanks or others just with better viewing range.

1 example of shells not going where you aim is that i was in a hetzer and i was nose to nose with a matilda, i fired 3 shells, 1 obviously dmg both of us, the other 2 completely missed the matilda. How is that possible if you are butt up to it? Dont say lag and it wasnt there because the middle of the 3 shells was the 1 that hit.

Did you ever bother watching the replay? The answer might be easy to find. 

Bordhaw #17 Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:16 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10823 battles

View PostxxDEATHSTARxx, on 19 June 2018 - 04:55 PM, said:

Okay, here is how I see the game as a player.

Well done on the new gfx engine, its great to watch things like dust swirls in the desert etc. However, I think its the game-play that is  making me very delusional. After playing world of tanks, you should have the feeling (as a player) that you have enjoyed yourself and are looking forward to the next time you spend on there.

However, 90% of the random matches, for me, are spent as a bottom tier player. With three tiers within the battle, this is kinda getting me down emotionally. I will explain from my experience why this is.

Okay so you buy, or upgrade to the next tier, tank. It comes with standard equipment, usually looking forward to many upgrades. With this tank on the basic gun, you enter a battle and for 80% of battles you are top tier. Excellent you may think, however, your gun cannot penetrate the thicker armour of most enemy tanks. So you spend your whole time, either hiding or maybe if you are lucky to not be spotted get a side or rear shot and whittle down the enemy. Normally though, the 5% damage you actually do, usually ends with them seeing you and you get destroyed even if you are hiding behind a rock.

So, after a few battles you are able to upgrade your gun. BUT... you now find you are not a top tier anymore generally, say 60% you are mid tier of a three tier battle, and you are still frustrated that you cannot penetrate the amour unless you go back to doing what you were before. But now you are not a top tier tank, normally one hit from a top tier is the end of you. So you put up with it, and battle after battle in the hopes you will be able to finally get the best gun on your tank so you get to finally do some real damage. 

You finally get it, the best gun of the tank you can get. You enter a battle after battle to find that now 90% of the battles you are now the bottom tier of three tiers. Still frustrated you cannot penetrate the armour of 50% of the tanks. So now you start to think, why should I actually bother upgrading my tank at all. Because the only way you can feel happy is by camping with the hope that after the top tiers have done most of the damage, there is the slight chance that maybe you can get a side or rear shot in to finish the enemy tanks off. WoT update videos show how awesome the tank should be able to battle, with leads me to believe their videos are either same tier or lower tier battles. I would love to see their update to show you how the tank could take out a tank two tiers higher. But the video would either show them firing back so your dead, or of course it would take 15 mins to actually find a place you can guarantee to hit without the firing dispersion missing every time.

So that's how I see the the game, I have played over ten thousand battles. I have sold off most of my heavy tanks because of this reason, and I am starting to feel that only playing SPG is the way to go. Mainly because you know you are going to be bottom tier but you can actually do some damage.

Here's another thing which is also frustrating, once you have upgraded the gun in a light tank, you become a bottom tier player, that we all know, however, the are top tier light tanks the matchmaker has included. They have greater sight and spotting distance, hell even the rest of the top two tiers have greater spotting distance, so why is the upgraded light tank stuck at the bottom. Because in a battle that light tank is obsolete.

I have tried using HE and AP on every tank before I thought about writing this,but it seems to be that by only using special ammo you can actually win. Which to be honest, this game should be all about your skill, like the training video shows. So guys, please please, sort out the stupid Matchmaker system then you can understand why so many battles have people frustrated and blowing off steam within the team chat by slagging off others.

Sounds like time to find another game. If you not enjoying it then why bother. 

250swb #18 Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:12 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21699 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

All my crew are at 100%, but unless you use an illegal mod like an aimbot. you cannot guarantee you actually hit the correct spot every time.

Way to go! Just because you can't hit anybody else you insult everybody who can hit you (seemingly very easily) by accusing them of cheating. Look in a mirror to see the person responsible for your problem.

Knight_Zao #19 Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:39 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 27952 battles
  • [KOOL] KOOL
im not trying to sound like douche here, but it may come across like that but, you dont seem to have the skill yet to enjoy higher tiers. My friend has the same issue, he loves lower tiers and absolutely refuses to play higher tiers apart from arty. I would strongly advise you to find the tier that is equal to your skill level, you will have alot more fun, regardless of the MM. I personally really like tier 9, its by far the best tier for me....all my tanks have pref MM :) awesome. I am not that good to really enjoy tier 10, i do like playing the 50B and batchat though.

Slyspy #20 Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:38 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14193 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostxxDEATHSTARxx, on 19 June 2018 - 05:55 PM, said:

The upgrade level of your modules makes no difference to your position on the team.

Aimbot shots would be subject to the same dispersion, it is just that their initial aim might be better. This bit is what Enforcer is suggesting you could address. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users