The Gvozdika Guide to Footballing Excellence

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Gvozdika #1 Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:36 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38155 battles

As per the title - I feel I should share my wisdom with my fellow players as both a seasoned WoT player (with all the mental issues that go with it) and as a member of the nation that gave the world Football in the first place. This is not to be taken as a rant - all examples given below are purely theoretical.....

Goalie - when I were a lad this was typically the kid 'of the larger variety' at school who wasn't any good at running anywhere quickly or kicking footballs.... but managed to stop incoming objects by virtue of possessing considerable quantities of physical matter about his person. This is the role taken on by the E-100. You are big, you are slow, you get in the way. That is your job and indeed a decent E-100 player is an excellent sight to behold in footie mode. You block the approach of the ball to the goal - as goalies typically do. You take every opportunity to hoof the ball into the other side's half. You use the splash effect to knock the ball out of the corners and towards the middle. You make scoring goals easier for your team and harder for your opponents.

You DO NOT run away from the ball when it heads towards you. You DO NOT spend the match staring into space or looking anywhere other than where the ball currently is. You DO NOT wander off into the other side's half and pootle around wondering why those enemy tanks aren't getting damaged when you shoot at them. You DO NOT shoot into the enemy goal when the ball is almost across the line or the splash will send the ball away from it's intended target. 

Striker - if there existed a kid armed with a jet pack and six legs at school - I certainly didn't see him. However in WoT Footie mode the AMX enables you to do exactly that. You use your speed to zoom to where you are needed - then your autoloader to punt the ball several times in quick succession. Each hit either changes the ball's direction/speed in such a way that it makes it harder for the other team to hit. Line up all six shots - then your additional two shots if the consumable is loaded - you can more or less send that ball screaming down towards the enemy half like a missile.

In order to do this of course you have to HIT the ball. You DO NOT spend all six shots shooting at the enemy while the ball is rolling past you. You DO NOT spend all six of those shots shooting at the ball from the enemy half and wondering why it isn't getting any closer to you. You DO NOT get into a massive argument with your teammate over their Polish/German/Glaswegian/Whatever username and stop playing because 'I don't play with that nation'..... yes, really.

Midfielder - The in-between option and perhaps the best one to opt for if you aren't particularly good at goalkeeping or striking. I did this bit at school by the way. Your job is send the ball towards the opponent's half and carry out slide-tackles on people's ankles when the teacher isn't looking. In WoT, you are the member of the team who can attack, defend and frustrate in equal measure. You are that little saucer of Soviet supremacy that is the T-62 with added speed boost. Get stuck in and always ensure you are either contesting the ball, chasing the ball or at the very least on your way to doing so.

You DO NOT (by way of completely hypothetical example) inadvertently boost into your striker and track them in the process. Not once or twice - but doing so all game. That would be utterly moronic and aren't we all glad that never happens.....<muttering>. You DO NOT sit back next to your E-100 in goal and snipe. You DO NOT get into pointless shooting contests with the enemy team and spend the whole game trying to track them while they kick the ball around your team with impunity.

General Tips - 

Don't AFK. It ruins games more so than a random - thanks to putting your team down by 33% instantly. Don't press 'Battle' if you have no intention of playing.

Don't throw a hissy fit if the enemy scores a goal and desert the game. Games can be recovered and even if not - running away isn't going to enamour you to your team. 

Don't blame your teammates for every single mistake going. Even if they accidentally own-goaled yesterday evening. Sorry guys - I thought that shot was going to deflect it off course...

Do try to play as well as you can. Learn from your mistakes and watch how others do it.

Do say 'gg' to your side if you win (remember - they helped you or at very least didn't hinder you too much). 

If you find yourself in a game where Vasilek and myself are platooned - if we win it's totally down to me and you should be thankful for being in one's presence. If we lose, blame Vasilek....

Do remember it is a game and try not to take it as seriously as people take the real thing!

TLDR - If you're too feckless to read a few paragraphs, I can't be bothered to summarise for you.

Edited by Gvozdika, 19 June 2018 - 06:37 PM.

tank276 #2 Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:48 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 50083 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostGvozdika, on 19 June 2018 - 05:36 PM, said:

Do remember it is a game and try not to take it as seriously as people take the real thing!

When you say "the real thing" u r refering to playing regular football on a field or playing Random Tank battles?

:trollface:

Gvozdika #3 Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38155 battles

View Posttank276, on 19 June 2018 - 05:48 PM, said:

When you say "the real thing" u r refering to playing regular football on a field or playing Random Tank battles?

:trollface:

Either of them seems to involve bloodshed and international toy-throwing.... so take your pick!

8126Jakobsson #4 Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:33 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 66418 battles

I only have two rules.

1. Play on the right side of the ball.

2. Shoot the ball.

If you can't shoot the ball toward/in the opponent goal you are playing on the wrong side of it. You are removing your gun from the battle.

If you are shooting at tanks you are not contributing to moving the ball toward/in the opponent goal. You are removing your gun from the battle.

Vasilek #5 Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:53 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 47692 battles

Umm this Gvozdika chap in RL is crap at footy  ...me on the other hand is still playing albeit walking footy (something you have do when getting to 60) 

Anyways stop playing the main is reason utter mornic team mates , BOTs , Afk'ers  and I've got better things to do .....still a 85 % win rate ;-)

Gvozdika #6 Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38155 battles
The voice of bitter jealousy. I'll have you know that my technique is without parallel - those lumps of astroturf act as decoys.

Sunshinetrooper #7 Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:05 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 7636 battles

This isn't a very useful guide, summary for those who can't be bothered to read:

Goalie - Stay in goals and stop balls going in and don't attempt to score

Midfielder - shoot the ball towards enemies goal

Striker - Shoot the ball towards enemies goal

The whole thing comes off as a right proper moan, ha!

OneSock #8 Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:23 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34894 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
I'll give my best advice.

Always stay well behind the ball. As striker I tend to sit on the half way line. You don't need to go chasing around in the enemy corner to get the ball out. E100 can splash it out, and more often than not the enemy will bring it out anyway. You need to be ready with your 6 shots, to push it back toward the goal and with some luck 2 more shots to score.

Bora_BOOM #9 Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:07 AM

Major

• Player
  • 22656 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

1. keep the ball between yourself and the enemy goal

2. shooting the ball while it is in the dead corner will not move it anywhere and is not much helpful except for losing your shots (aside maybe not letting enemy to aim that easy). wait for the ball to be at least one tank length from the corner, that allows shots to force it towards the goal or away from it by sliding along the corner curve.

3. shooting with AMX clip successively on the one half of the ball  can curve the ball direction quite much

4. shooting without zoom (sniper mode) helps my aim efficiency way better (except from very far away)

Wintermute_1 #10 Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:46 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 44219 battles

Each day I play the midfielder until I get a goal then switch to the Goalie. I dislike the mode and goalie causes me the least stress. 

I'd say wait for your shot with the E100. 7 seconds can be a long time to wait for a reload. Its pretty difficult firing the entire length of the pitch and hitting the ball accurately. I find its best just to wait for the ball to approach the halfway line before booting it back into the opponents corner. Likewise, when the balls' in your own corner, hold your shot until it creeps towards your goal. Its alot easier to accurately splash the ball away from your own goal than "cross" it towards the opponents goal.

Also, keep the E100 towards the centre of the goal, the ball moves so much quicker than your tank that you often can't make a save if youve got to cross the whole width of the goal. And keep the side of the E100 parallel with the back of the goal line, this prevents the ball rolling diagonally up the edge of the goal mouth and dropping on your roof (something that can happen quite a bit). When you are marginally behind the goal line you can still prevent the ball crossing the line and always have your gun behind the ball ready to move it outwards from the goal. 

If your out players are crap you are still hopelessly screwed however.

Gvozdika #11 Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38155 battles

All good advice above. 

I prefer the striker and midfielder but inevitably end up going in goal after a few bouts of having our E-100 afk. 

I must admit that between Frontline and now Football - I haven't played a random battle for a long time. For some strange reason I enjoy WoT a lot more; there might be a connection somewhere...

Jack_of_Words #12 Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:22 PM

Private

• Player
  • 13278 battles

Some sound advice there, especially not wasting the goalie's shot - so often I see the goalie bang the ball back into a corner where it wasn't troubling them in the first place, only to watch ineffectually six seconds later when the ball trundles over them and into the goal.  I will only shoot when I have to clear the ball.  Not so sure about staying *behind* the goal line - I take a low arc between the posts and ahead of the line - it widens the angles of approach for the attacker.

In midfield, I patrol the centre line, boosting as necessary, waiting for a cross (sometimes creating a cross, though usually to no avail...)  The guns have good accuracy, but you need to think of it as tank snooker or tank pool to best understand how to control the ball (save me from fools who chase the ball like a 5 yo, forgetting that their tank has no feet, hands or head.)

I don't often play striker, but it's been said above - line up and time your run and you can dribble that ball from one end to the other and pop it in the goal

vixu #13 Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:35 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 42571 battles
had an interesting experience as a striker - was set on fire :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users