EU Server Stats Dropping

• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

FryingTonight #1 Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:56 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 11153 battles

Noticed this (I take a peek every once in a while).

Posted Image

The line or highlighted data point was the week of the 9.18 release (979,900). Some perspective. The most recent blip was the release of WoT 1.0 and saw the stats rise to 3K above the data point prior to 9.18 (982,798). The most recent data point is 688,327. This is down more than half from a high of 1,345,227 in January 2017.

The End of the WoT is Nigh. Glad I stopped playing during 9.17. :P

Soon it will be bots, padders, moaners and CCs (not all of those are mutually exclusive).

playre_eu #2 Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:59 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17508 battles
  • [-RSGG] -RSGG
Games gone to crapso only as expected

Baldrickk #3 Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:59 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30494 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

A different take on the same data:

Looks like it's the best players where it's been hit the most (100 years of tank had lots of players join at that time, second drop with new MM doesn't have new players coming in to cause it)

nikolaink123 #4 Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:05 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21543 battles
  • [3V] 3V
Am i the only one that is confused about the fact that OP said he quit back in 9.17 yet he is still keeping up enough with the game to be checking statistics? (Not bashing anything you said just slightly confused)

Shivva #5 Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:09 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29809 battles
  • [J_A_G] J_A_G
and yet I still seem to get into games within a few seconds of clicking battle....guess the ones who (say they) quit gotta find something to bash though

FryingTonight #6 Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:10 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 11153 battles
I watch replays, and occasionally watch the odd stream. It can be entertaining from time to time. I don't share in the frustration at paying for it, or playing it. WoT was one of the few games that took my money and changed the T&Cs by changing the game to my playing detriment. I like to keep abreast of how it's not doing. :)

playre_eu #7 Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:21 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17508 battles
  • [-RSGG] -RSGG

View Postnikolaink123, on 19 June 2018 - 10:05 PM, said:

Am i the only one that is confused about the fact that OP said he quit back in 9.17 yet he is still keeping up enough with the game to be checking statistics? (Not bashing anything you said just slightly confused)

Still does not change the fact 1.0 killed WOT

Long_Range_Sniper #8 Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:25 PM

General

• Player
  • 33393 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostShivva, on 19 June 2018 - 09:09 PM, said:

and yet I still seem to get into games within a few seconds of clicking battle....guess the ones who (say they) quit gotta find something to bash though

I don't think getting into battle is the issue. The NA and SEA servers have around 120k players and they sustain all the tiers and competitions. I think you'll always get a battle with World of Tanks.

The issue for me is that there is a natural summer decline, and the World Cup is on, however the decline is marked and larger than ever before. It isn't as pronounced on the RU server, but it's still there.

But that decline has happened after all the major changes WG have made in the last 12 months.

Arty changed to stun

3/5/7 introduced as the default MM

New graphics with 1.0

New tanks.

Whether you agree with these changes or not, it has not halted the decline in player numbers, or even flattened the seasonal variation. It has in fact increased the trend.

There's an old adage that if you do what you always did you get what you always got. Where is the logic in those numbers that what WG have done to the game has improved it and either retained players or reduced the departure? 

There isn't any evidence of that, and yet WG seem convinced that their changes are an improvement.

Maybe they're working on a floor level for players that is much lower than we know? Maybe consoles are where the money is? But you'd think someone, somewhere would say "Hey guys, have we done a Rubicon update without realising?"

Solstad1069 #9 Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:25 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 41019 battles

View Postnikolaink123, on 19 June 2018 - 10:05 PM, said:

I get the feelin he wants the game to die.

UrQuan #10 Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:27 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20056 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

POPULAR

Honestly, when it was posted shortly after FrontLine mode ended, I thought it was just the classic summer dip coming. But now you can see it's very likely something different, as the graphic keeps going down. I verified this by checking the WoT-News graphs myself. Now I think it will still stabilize (I hope), but it's clear that quite alot more folks quit WoT for the time being then usual, not a good sign.

Likely the 3-5-7 MM is not doing people any favours, but it's been here for a while now. I suspect that other things that get added on top just make it easier for folks to call it a day.

Some things that come to mind:

- Patch 1.0, it upped the PC requirements, so clearly some folks quit playing because the game doesn't run smooth enough anymore for them. Likely these quiiters were originally overshadowed by those who came back to check out the new graphics, but can be these 'new' folks didn't stick around either.

- Map pool reduction: Playing on the same maps over & over gets tiring quickly. Way too many maps have been cut for 1.0 imo & not enough have returned fast enough.

- Negligence of EU tanks. Sure, we got the new Italians & WG is working on the Polish too. But the German, French & British line can use some love (especially certain lines like the german meds, british HT's & various french tanks). Not to mention that various iconic EU tanks (especially the Churchills tbh) feel (very) weak, something the iconic Russian tanks don't have. 

Always been of a case, but with the 3-5-7 in play, it really hurts weaker tanks alot.

- Increased powercreep: the latest patches saw some serious powercreep from the russian tanks, especially at higher tiers. They might not all be very strong, but they're all quite tough to handle when you got to face them.

- Prem tanks get terrible MM: Yes this accounts for all tanks (especially at T8, guess where the most expensive prem tanks reside?), but when people pay a big sum for a prem tank, they do expect to have fun with it & for some, the best way for fun is getting toptier. 3-5-7 makes this very hard. The old MM was flawed yes, but at least it gave you roughly 1/3rd of the games toptier, 1/3rd midtier & 1/3rd bottomtier, so you felt useful in 1/3rd ot 2/3rd of the games you had in your prem tank.

- Bad handling of CW rewards; expecting people to pay for their won prize is something that shows a distinct lack of touch with the playerbase, let alone on how competitions should work. While the CW crowd isn't that big, they do represent a significant portion of the better skilled playerbase.

Now, I don't think it's just one that caused it, I just suspect it's a combination of a variety of factors joining together & that the 3-5-7 system just made it easier for folks to call it a day when they run into a snag or other issue with the game, on top of the bad MM system.

For me the 3-5-7 system has made it much easier to take extended breaks when I attempt to grind tanks & it goes badly. Part of why I stopped grinding tbh... It just isn't fun with this MM template.

In the end, I hope WG sees this as a wake-up call to act before the population drops too much. Spend some time listening to the EU community, because we complain because we care, not because we don't like the game. When EU stops complaining, that's when you got to worry, because then we stopped caring.

Edited by UrQuan, 20 June 2018 - 02:10 AM.

Solstad1069 #11 Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:35 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 41019 battles

For most of the times i dont have many issues with the MM, but i do think this is the main reason people quit.

They give up, playing their stock tier 8 tanks are just a horrible experience.

If you try and get friends playing with you the MM is even more harsh, a never ending story of bottom tier.

The former MM had its issues, but at least it made sure you be top tier one third of your battles.

Edited by Solstad1069, 19 June 2018 - 10:35 PM.

Derethim #12 Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:35 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17761 battles

It seems to me that... if YOU WANT TO SELL YOUR ACCOUNT SNEAKILY IT'S NOW OR NEVAH.

Just kidding, but It's also true.

Wargaming could've either made this game the next World of Warcraft - a game, that would be fun after another ten years or so and would keep getting new content. It doesen't have to be just new tank lines, you know?

But they went the EA route of making games - milking something, then giving up on it. EA promised no new BF games after Battlefield 1 for a number of years, yet a year later BATTLEFIELD FIVE! Because they just want to milk your purse, then they ruin the product, so that you buy a different one of theirs. Just like Apple with iPhones - every year releasing the same phone with the same hype as when WG introduces a new tank line, or new graphics, or a stupid football mode.

Private_Pearts #13 Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:38 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22628 battles
  • [WOPR] WOPR

View Postplayre_eu, on 19 June 2018 - 10:21 PM, said:

Still does not change the fact 1.0 killed WOT

Not sure it was 1.0 rather than 3 5 7.................

kaneAAA #14 Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:39 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39205 battles
  • [SKRAP] SKRAP
All I know is that the quality of players Is just horrible at the moment. Its like wg were targeting the worse players, trying to please them, and now thats all they got left.

Karasu_Hidesuke #15 Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:44 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16170 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L
Can someone extrapolate on the data and give an estimate when the curve will hit zero?

kejmo #16 Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29427 battles

Of course its dropping. The game is headed more and more to "idiot-proof-pay-to-win" mode, since quality isn't important but money is. Causes more and more idiots (oh well, let's call them horrible players not to be so rude) to join the game and more and more quality players to quit it. 

I make breaks for few months and then return just to see that the game is constantly dropping in quality and in the same time, the playerbase is becoming more and more horrible.

Oh well. Money is all what matters, in the end.

unhappy_bunny #17 Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:46 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18576 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

View PostFryingTonight, on 19 June 2018 - 09:56 PM, said:

The End of the WoT is Nigh. Glad I stopped playing during 9.17. :P

Its a pity you still find it fun to haunt the forum with your predictions of doom. Will you get some sort of perverse satisfaction if WoT was to finally shut down? 

HeidenSieker #18 Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:59 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostUrQuan, on 19 June 2018 - 10:27 PM, said:

- Patch 1.0, it upped the PC requirements, so clearly some folks quit playing because the game doesn't run (snip, with apologies...)

That.

Edited by HeidenSieker, 19 June 2018 - 11:00 PM.

Bulldog_Drummond #19 Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:02 PM

General

• Player
  • 30285 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Let's look on the bright side

Edited by Bulldog_Drummond, 19 June 2018 - 11:03 PM.

FatigueGalaxy #20 Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:10 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 19438 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

3-5-7 makes them a lot of money since we have to play premium tanks a lot more (to afford premium rounds to stay competitive in +2) and it's a great incentive for people to buy new, strong premiums to replace their old tanks like IS-6 (which was very popular and now nobody plays it).

But they kept it far too long and we are arriving at breaking-point where more players will rather not play than invest more money into the game. Overselling Skorpion G probably did its thing too - it's a very strong tank and most people feel like they don't need anything else once they get it.

There is a limit how long you can endure being cannon fodder in 80% battles you play. People are reaching this limit so it's about time WG should do something about MM.

Also, summer + football world championship + hot weather (sitting next to a PC sucks).

View PostkaneAAA, on 19 June 2018 - 10:39 PM, said:

All I know is that the quality of players Is just horrible at the moment. Its like wg were targeting the worse players, trying to please them, and now thats all they got left.

Quality of players is the same as always but it's more pronounced because you are never top tier so your own influence in the battle is small. When players don't do their job, consequences are more severe and noticeable.

It's the same bad players (I'd say scrubs improved a bit because of new tutorials that teach basics very well so they at least know how to control their tank), they just decide outcome of battles more often.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users