How does one use the IS-M?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

PoIestar #1 Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:30 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 32165 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Bought this tank because I had enough XP on my IS and I figured it would be something different. 

Well I wasn't wrong, only different stands almost directly in line with absolutely terrible. It's really bad, in almost every measurable way. It could be a good top tier tank, however I wouldn't know because all games I've played in them were bottom tier. 15 v 15 tier 8 is the best possible MM in this tank apparently.

Now the MM is ruined since the template system so that's just the way it is. However, is there a way to make the IS-M grind any less unpleasant? Because the 705 stock grind and the 705A grind seem doable, but the IS-M is just so bad.

Dava_117 #2 Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:48 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20329 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Well, consider that IS-M is probably the best tank in the line, tier for tier. 120mm side armour and 250mm turret are quite good at tier 8. The gun is lackluster tho. 705 is unimpressive and only have 90mm sides while 705A at least have 100mm sides plus a 650 alpha gun to go for. But nothing special, really...

On topic, I would suggest you to play the IS-M as first line brawler, using sidescrape as main strategy. IS-M is somehow in between IS-3 and KV-4, but lack in the specialization of the 2 tanks: it's more mobile than KV-4 but not as mobile as IS-3. It can reliably use the frontal armour against tier 8 tanks (unlike IS-3) but overall armour is not as good as KV-4 especially in what should be it's speciality: sidescraping. Try not to fight in uneven areas, cause it's really bad at climbing hills. This is more or less all I can say...

unrealname #3 Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24070 battles
Its a free xp sink. If it had decent prem pen then it could work, but with a crap that it gets you can just go eff yourself, even when you meet armored tiers 9s.

PoIestar #4 Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:51 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 32165 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Hmm thanks. I definitely like big guns so I won't give up directly on the 705 but I'll see if I can figure the IS-M out.

PoIestar #5 Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:56 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 32165 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postunrealname, on 21 June 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

Its a free xp sink. If it had decent prem pen then it could work, but with a crap that it gets you can just go eff yourself, even when you meet armored tiers 9s.

Oh yeah I noticed this. It can't even pen itself when it's angling the side and hiding the LFP.

tank276 #6 Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 50696 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

You just use your free xp to grind through it . :)

And then you get the tier 9 (for which I have heard conflicting reports on its performance).

But I guess it cannot be worse than the IS-M, that would be not possible. :)

Edited by tank276, 21 June 2018 - 01:58 PM.

BravelyRanAway #7 Posted 21 June 2018 - 02:02 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 23027 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostPoIestar, on 21 June 2018 - 12:30 PM, said:

How does one use the IS-M?

Use it as cover or push it in front of you to cover you lower plate.:trollface:

UrQuan #8 Posted 21 June 2018 - 02:06 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20137 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Dava gives good tips already. My advice is to unlock the topturret asap, because the stock one is on the weak side & that's just bad for a tank that needs it's armor & fights frontline Only issue is that the topturret weights alot more, so it will clearly cut in the mobility departement.

Tbh, upgrade-wise, from stock to elite, this tank is gonna be a nightmare: stock turret is bad, stock gun too, none of the modules are used on other tanks, so no free unlocks. The engine is kind of needed when you use topturret, so this tank to me sounds like a bad grind.

Once elited, it should be good to play. It's a sidescrape king, as it has a rear-placed turret, so while it has less side-armor then a KV-4, it can make better use of it, thanks to the rear-placed turret. Topgun is nice too, a classic T8 122 topgun, deals a good punch, adequate base pen but not too accurate.

The prem ammo is the big issue really, it's inadequate. Only in rare cases can 240mm pen reliably what 212mm pen can't (thanks to the wonders of angling, that gap of pen between standard & prem is really small tbh)

Avoid hilly terrain like the plague, tank's crap there. go to places with rocks or other stuff you can use for sidescrape & pushing with cover. Your main role will be either support or hold the lines with sidescraping. The side armor + rear turret should make it fine to angle at sharp angles to even autobounce, so you can hold stuff pretty well.

In short: No good news; that grind from stock to elite IS-M is gonna be unpleasant, but once elited, it should be alot smoother, as long as you avoid hilly terrain and declare your love to rocks & corners for sidescraping. And hope you're not alone when fighting higher tier armored tanks (or that they're stupid)

At some locations (rubblepiles, tankwrecks & some hilly terrain, like steppes) it can use hulldown with retreat option: use topturret & keep the tank in a reverse position; that way you can move out fast after shooting (the slower drive in will let people with trigger-happy fingers shoot prematurely, causing more bounces + lets you pre-aim)

Edited by UrQuan, 21 June 2018 - 08:30 PM.

DuncaN_101 #9 Posted 21 June 2018 - 02:36 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 53825 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
They are doing that more and more.
Modules that don't carry over from other tanks. It's a real ball breaker.

It's also the reason why I often haven't bothered with new nations tech trees

OT. I guess use it like a VK aufs B. Seems to me the play style should be about the same

Hedgehog1963 #10 Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:14 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 51646 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY
Sidescrape where possible and shoot some HE has been working for me recently.

Hated this thing stock, but liking it now I have it fully upgraded.

PervyPastryPuffer #11 Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:52 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 31635 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

Step one; free xp the gun and turret, and tracks if necessary.

Step two; profit...oh wait...it's WG's profit. :trollface:

FatigueGalaxy #12 Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:17 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 19509 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

Hope to be top tier. This thing (if positioned well) is extremely difficult to deal with, even for other tier 8s spamming premium ammo (except TDs). It also gets good DPM for 390 alpha. It's useless in tier 10 battles since your armour counts for nothing, unless you find yourself a perfect sidescraping position (IS-M is kinda slow for that) and enemies come at you one at the time.

This tank is kinda rare, so many players have problem to deal with it. I'd say this is your biggest advantage...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users