Is There New Spotting Mechanics Now?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:26 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24071 battles

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there has been some new spotting system update added to this game in recent times?

On one hand, I have seen a large portion of the front or rear end of an enemy tank poke out from behind a building or something solid, I would be very close, I shoot it and do NOT get spotted when I'm certain I would and should be spotted and I'm like "ummm... ok..."

On the flip side of that, there appears to be this almost tinfoil hat "mystery spotted" where I would be both completely concealed and nowhere near any of the enemy team tanks, not even a cheeky little light tank that might have raced into a good position and SOMEHOW my 6th sense goes off and obviously it only does so when I get spotted... or does it? I move away and take cover(even though I was already in bloody cover lol) but I don't get shot so I'm wondering is there a little 6th sense glitch or 6th sense noise glitch? Is anyone else experiencing that lately, where you get spotted from the most impossible places? Glitch or new spotting feature on this one?

jabster #2 Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:31 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12598 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostTungstenHitman, on 21 June 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there has been some new spotting system update added to this game in recent times?

On one hand, I have seen a large portion of the front or rear end of an enemy tank poke out from behind a building or something solid, I would be very close, I shoot it and do NOT get spotted when I'm certain I would and should be spotted and I'm like "ummm... ok..."

On the flip side of that, there appears to be this almost tinfoil hat "mystery spotted" where I would be both completely concealed and nowhere near any of the enemy team tanks, not even a cheeky little light tank that might have raced into a good position and SOMEHOW my 6th sense goes off and obviously it only does so when I get spotted... or does it? I move away and take cover(even though I was already in bloody cover lol) but I don't get shot so I'm wondering is there a little 6th sense glitch or 6th sense noise glitch? Is anyone else experiencing that lately, where you get spotted from the most impossible places? Glitch or new spotting feature on this one?

So you’ve got a replay I presume?

Karasu_Hidesuke #3 Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:36 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16170 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L
I can't say.. but I've even been shot repeatedly by an invisible Panther at a surprising close range...

Balc0ra #4 Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 67337 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostTungstenHitman, on 21 June 2018 - 03:26 PM, said:

That depends on the tank etc. As no tank has spotting lines coming out of the rear. And if the gun is pointing towards the building or even away from the corner, vs having the gun stick out of the corner. He won't see you shooting his front or rear wheel unless he drives more forward. As spotting lines are only from the gun or the commander's hatch. Thus why you see lights drive with the gun pointing in the air over ridgelines, and why you should always point the gun forward when going around a corner, vs to the side to pre-aim. As then you will spot targets way later after they spot you coming out. 

Without a replay, who knows what happened. In most cases like that for me. It's either due to a gap in the bush that shows my lower plate, as the bushes don't overlap. Or there was a hidden 2nd target way closer, spotting you from the side, or from the high ground behind him. Just because you don't see anymore enemy tanks, don't indicate he is alone.  

UrQuan #5 Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:50 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20056 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

This one's easy to explain. Tanks are marked with spot view locations (usually the tank cupola & the driver slit i believe) & as long as they got a line of sight with that, they can see you.

However, when the tank is behind an obstacle & only a piece of the front or rear is showing (sideways is best) you can shoot away at it happily, without ever being spotted (as long as distance is 50 meter + & nobody else can see you), even when driving a KV-4. because the enemy is physically unable to ever spot you.

Second needs a replay. Some tanks got very good camo values & are fast. ELC 90 is one culprit, seen some at very strange locations & they're fast & able to slip through enemy ranks on more open maps like Murovanka, so they can catch people by sruprise quite fast.

xx984 #6 Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:51 PM

Major

• Player
  • 56358 battles
  • [SHEKL] SHEKL
About a patch or two ago i was in my Maus in the mid of Fishermans bay, Firing at their heavies crossing while in the bush (Not double bushed or not solid, just in the middle of it) and a T-100 on the enemy team did a scouting run about 70 meters away when i fired, did not get spotted. Don't have the replay but i thought it was funny. 

jack_timber #7 Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:42 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 34415 battles

Can't explain it but it feels different.

That's about as scientific as I can be.

Dorander #8 Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:45 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18669 battles

View PostUrQuan, on 21 June 2018 - 02:50 PM, said:

This one's easy to explain. Tanks are marked with spot view locations (usually the tank cupola & the driver slit i believe) & as long as they got a line of sight with that, they can see you.

If memory serves, it's the cupola and the base of the gun, rather than the driver viewport. These two positions on the tank can be spotted with, and can also be spotted by others. The other four locations on the tank that can be spotted by others but cannot spot themselves, are the middle of the front, sides and rear of the tank body.

So like you said, it's entirely possible that the positions the enemy tank could spot with were hidden, while one of the other four was visible to the OP. Alternatively someone else was spotting the target.

Dava_117 #9 Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:50 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20196 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDorander, on 21 June 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

If memory serves, it's the cupola and the base of the gun, rather than the driver viewport. These two positions on the tank can be spotted with, and can also be spotted by others. The other four locations on the tank that can be spotted by others but cannot spot themselves, are the middle of the front, sides and rear of the tank body.

So like you said, it's entirely possible that the positions the enemy tank could spot with were hidden, while one of the other four was visible to the OP. Alternatively someone else was spotting the target.

To be even more accurate, the view port are the highest part of the collision model (usually the commander cupola, but not necessarily) and the base of the gun. ;)

Dorander #10 Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:52 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18669 battles

View PostDava_117, on 21 June 2018 - 03:50 PM, said:

To be even more accurate, the view port are the highest part of the collision model (usually the commander cupola, but not necessarily) and the base of the gun. ;)

Do antenna count? 'cause if they do, we should start calling this World of Ants :hiding:

Dava_117 #11 Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:54 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20196 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDorander, on 21 June 2018 - 04:52 PM, said:

Do antenna count? 'cause if they do, we should start calling this World of Ants :hiding:

Luckily antennas are just in the visual model and not in the collision one. The name of the game is safe once more! ;)

HassenderZerhacker #12 Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:08 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27690 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

Hi guys,

some bushes seem to have been changed to weaker camo values

Edited by HassenderZerhacker, 21 June 2018 - 05:08 PM.

jabster #13 Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:10 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12598 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostDorander, on 21 June 2018 - 03:52 PM, said:

XxKuzkina_MatxX #14 Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:29 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 51207 battles

View PostDorander, on 21 June 2018 - 05:52 PM, said:

Antennae are your early warning that you'll be spotted in the next second as the commander cupola crest the ridge. :)

Edited by XxKuzkina_MatxX, 21 June 2018 - 06:12 PM.

Stalpanter #15 Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:44 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7025 battles

Watch from 15:10

https://youtu.be/PnbUcJnKyi4?t=15m10s

Your comments?

PervyPastryPuffer #16 Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:45 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 31557 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

This should help, and explain why one corner of a tank can safely poke around a corner without being spotted. This is an old picture...but I feel the system hasn't changed since. Ideally there should be a checkpoint on every corner, but there just isn't.

TungstenHitman #17 Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:23 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24071 battles

View PostTankyouverymuch2, on 21 June 2018 - 06:45 PM, said:

This should help, and explain why one corner of a tank can safely poke around a corner without being spotted. This is an old picture...but I feel the system hasn't changed since. Ideally there should be a checkpoint on every corner, but there just isn't.

Not sure I understand. Ok so from the battles in which I was NOT spotted but don't understand why, I was very close(not proxy spot close but close enough that would be an easy spot) and the rear of the enemy tank from checkpoint 4 all the way up to and including the rear drive wheel was exposed from solid cover, so much so that I could perma-track and damage these tanks until they died yet I was not discovered. I know logically only the view ports should be the "eyes" of these tanks but for the sake of the game there are many eyes on these tanks to spot from. So there is actually no rear "eyes"?  Does this mean that checkpoint 4, the rear spotting area of a tank can actually be blinded by the rear wheel of that tank? Same deal with the front?

TungstenHitman #18 Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:29 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24071 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 21 June 2018 - 02:43 PM, said:

In most cases like that for me. It's either due to a gap in the bush that shows my lower plate, as the bushes don't overlap. Or there was a hidden 2nd target way closer, spotting you from the side, or from the high ground behind him. Just because you don't see anymore enemy tanks, don't indicate he is alone.  

I know what you mean. No not this situation, I know there plenty of bushes like that, Malinovka of course the left side overlooking the river from the hill has lots of little pixel gaps that will expose your tank immediately and are not actually usable from most positions for camo. I guess the old tried and trusted bushes got a trimming. The one that calls to mind was the bush on Artic Region north hill next to the rock, very predictable and overlooks the lake, middle and some north approaches and I got spotted there somehow even though I was completely concealed by the rock and bush with no way to spot me without proxy or being behind me which was 2-3 teammates at the time and early in the battle I was really surprised by this.

Zhul87 #19 Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:32 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21598 battles
  • [TEC] TEC

World of Tanks - Explaining Mechanics: Visibility System

Edited by Zhul87, 21 June 2018 - 09:33 PM.

UrQuan #20 Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:34 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20056 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostTankyouverymuch2, on 21 June 2018 - 07:45 PM, said:

To clarify, the checkpoints are the marks used to spot your tank. not to spot other tanks.

Below image shows the view range ports, used to spot other tanks (so if these are behind solid cover, you cannot spot anything, except proxy spotting)

The dynamic view range port moves with the turret, its always your turret front.

If you compare the image above with the one below, you can see how i'ts possible to spot the front & rear of a tank side-on, without getting spotted in return (because both viewrange ports are behind the obstacle)

And for the match you got spotted, the best way remains a replay. It not only helps to show better what you mean, but also helps us explain better. Now the go to approach of answer is: either something still spotted you, something still peeked out the bushes form some angle, or it is not as described  (yes sadly too many do this deliberatly, I do believe that your description is accurate tho, perhaps missing something that you missed & a replay could make visible)

Edited by UrQuan, 21 June 2018 - 09:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users