I need some help on the O-I

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Cst_69 #1 Posted 22 June 2018 - 02:23 AM

Private

• Player
  • 612 battles

So i got the O-I... ,,yayy now i can go blast poor light tanks around, but there's only one problem, open maps, bad spotting range and arties...'' I want to know how i can play this tank without surviving the battle with 35hp remaining and 250 damage on Mines or getting spotted in the first minutes of the match by some tier 7 light tank and 3 seconds later be gutted by top tier arties on Steppes, i don't want to camp bush because its concealment is already bad enough, and i don't think a bush will really help after firing that huge 10cm cannon, and afterall, it's a heavy tank, who the hell camps in heavy tanks? (well, unless you are up against tanks 2 tiers higher than you and you are just a slow *edited* light tank with a huge gun to them) So yeah, how should i play this tank? and if you know the best route i should take on different maps, please say those too.

I just had a match on El Halluf, did no damage because i was too slow, a damn O-Ni was faster than me, and i also got hit by an arty, it will be a har damned way till i can get the Type 5

Edited by NickMustaine, 23 June 2018 - 10:08 AM.
Inappropriate remarks

stokescj #2 Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:01 AM

Private

• Player
  • 8009 battles
  • [SKIL1] SKIL1
At 500 battles your very new to the game so you picked probably the most suitable line to go down. I suggest, if it's something you may enjoy, watching good streamers on twitch. I usually have it on as background noise when playing anyway. Can pick up some great tips as a new player. 

Alice_Shimada_Chan #3 Posted 22 June 2018 - 05:52 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 28080 battles

As said, with 500 battles you are just new to the game. KV-1 was legendary classic and probably best noob starter tank back in the days, but now with anime heavies, OIs, OHOs ... are even more noob-friendly tanks I quess. Only negative could be that if you are using the derp gun you can later have problems knowing weak spots of tanks and how to pene them with regular guns.

To learn basics, map positioning, tricks etc. you should watch unicum youtubers, streamers. Here is small list of english speaking: Quickybaby, Mighty Jingles, Lemmingrush, Skill4ltu.

When you are in bottom tier heavy tank, dont be afraid to play it little safe. Unless on city map, you dont need to go with other heavies and brawl with Tier 8s. With bottom tier heavy you can go support medium tanks if map allows it, you can provide longe range support. There are people who will click on you and write: noob heavy tank .. , just ignore them, they know nothing.

As for Type 5 heavy: Its a pay2win tank, that means if you want to be competitive, you just need to use premium HE shells that cost quite a lot of credits. Premium HE of Type 5 do more damage than standart cheap HE. Dont ask me why WG did this they just did, but really you CANT use standart HE on Type 5.

Thing that goes with every japanese heavy tanks: Dont be surprised if skilled players just load APCR or HEAT ammo on you.

I have Type 5 heavy myself, but I cant blame if enemy gold spams me because this whole line of japanese heavy taks is stupid.

Holdes #4 Posted 22 June 2018 - 06:54 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19799 battles
Play some Churchill VII or Black Prince, and then you'll appreciate beasts like O-I :D

Jethro_Grey #5 Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:23 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4302 battles
  • [KAIN] KAIN
...or, do this community a favor and stop playing Japanese superheavies and play Russian tanks instead. ^^

jeffrey_mk2 #6 Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:38 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12650 battles
  • [NLWGG] NLWGG
I think the KV1 is still a very good allround tank to learn the game.
It has decent choice of 3 completely different cannons and the kv1 isnt the most super heavy slow tank.
I can get the OI for free but I dont even want to get it , its so freakin slow lumbering tank to me.....I did play it on the testserver but its not my style of tank.
But the tip when you're bottom tier and go help out the mediums (if map allows you) is a good strategy.
You can pen tanks , got more armour then the mediums and you dont have to fight +2 tier big heavy guns that have no problem with hitting you.
But for open maps .....I also dont have a clue where to put an big heavy tank, just try out some different places to see what works the best for you.
I also got that problem with the KV2 in open maps.

OneSock #7 Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:26 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34866 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

OK OI is very good tank. Here's my tips.

1. You need to learn the best positions on maps to be relatively arty safe. Doesn't mean sit behind a rock all game. but could be to stay on side of slope for example. watch some you tubers. it will take some time to learn.

2. crew skils. No1 is probably repairs. after that probably snapshot. BIA. these you need to reduce reload and aim time. Sixth sense skill is debatable value on a superheavy. you are going to be spotted most of the time just get used to it.

3. know how to move. OK OI is fast, but fast enough to evade worst of arty if you keep moving. basically never keep still unless aiming for a shot.

4. when bottom tier, you have two options

a) get amongst the HT brawl. Your HE shots can do plenty of damage to tier 8 HTs. You just need to learn to play with your team HTs so they can take the hits and you can take clear shots. it's all about timing. This is map dependant obviously. you can't do it on open maps you need cover to do poke and shoot.

b) snipe like a boss on open maps. Again for this you need to know your map positions but you need to let your team mates spot the targets while not getting spotted. so stay outside the spotting circle but within the draw range circle. if you can get a shot on target quite often you can lob a HE shell at an unsuspecting victim.

View Postjeffrey_mk2, on 22 June 2018 - 07:38 AM, said:

I think the KV1 is still a very good allround tank to learn the game.
It has decent choice of 3 completely different cannons and the kv1 isnt the most super heavy slow tank.
I can get the OI for free but I dont even want to get it , its so freakin slow lumbering tank to me.....I did play it on the testserver but its not my style of tank.
But the tip when you're bottom tier and go help out the mediums (if map allows you) is a good strategy.
You can pen tanks , got more armour then the mediums and you dont have to fight +2 tier big heavy guns that have no problem with hitting you.
But for open maps .....I also dont have a clue where to put an big heavy tank, just try out some different places to see what works the best for you.
I also got that problem with the KV2 in open maps.

As per my post, open maps you can snipe. KV2 is known for Russian accuracy. just stay out of spotting range so you don't get seen when you fire.

KV2 also has some strange camo trick so if you have a really good crew with full camo, you can also sit behind a bush and catch unsuspecting prey.

NoobySkooby #8 Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:42 AM

Major

• Player
  • 12964 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

Open maps can be a nightmare but in all honesty when your driving this thing, the pleasure is the feeling of driving an earthmover, well it is for me, you might find this vid helpful.....

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

If the link does not work, then click on forums, look around for the player tutorials, and look for the ace tanker (japanese), you get them for all nations too, very useful.

Also regarding the type 5, once you get to the type 4 you can relax, it comes with a three gun option, first gun is a bit trash, but the other two guns are the exact same ones as on the type 5.

Edited by NoobySkooby, 22 June 2018 - 08:45 AM.

blacky3443 #9 Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:51 AM

Private

• Player
  • 65302 battles
  • [-RLD-] -RLD-

The OI can be fun... Yes it has bad dispersion and aim time and it is slow and visible from Saturn. However, positioning is key even when top tier, If there is artillery hide. On open maps don't push too far forward if anything red line until you can get into a firing position. So on Prokorovka aim for pushing the Hill or close to the middle near the town. On Malinovka stay close the the back and attempt to get up the hill. Never put yourself into a position where you are on your own as you have not the reload to trade.  The OI is about reading the battle and slowly reacting to the situation ;) And the main point for damage is load HE in fact have a complete HE load out... Guaranteed damage and occasionally fun one shots ;) 

Good luck man...

Xandania #10 Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:40 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36347 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-

SO, a little O-I 101:

Try to get the derp gun as soon as possible and just load HE. WIth this you will not be the heavy tank that stays out in the open all the time as you have a 20+ second reload. So get to a frontline, find a safe position at the front and then poke out, aim, fire and fall back again. Your armor is good for the tier so it can get some bounces but it is far from impervious and every tier 8 you will meet can perforate it.

Other aspects to keep in mind: you can not shoot tanks hugging your side if they are too small. You might be able to push them against walls though. To make sure your sides are safe keep in company of your team if possible. NEVER stand still whith your sides directed at your enemies. Flat armor is easily penned and your ammo rack is below your turret where your armor is weakest. Even tier 4 tanks can pen you there most of the time.

Dava_117 #11 Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:28 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19424 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Do yourself a favour and drop that line. You're quite new to the game and jap heavy line won't teach you much. The main strongpoint of the line are derpgun (big gun using HE that ignore half of the armour penetration mechanics) and very bad armour layout (super strong frontal plates that can be penned by gold or by high pen gun with weack sides that can hardly be angled to be effective).

If you like heavy tanks, try one of the soviet lines.

-IS-7 line is quite noob friendly, but nothing special, maybe a good start.

-277 line may be more complex due the heavyum nature that sacrifice armour for mobility.

-705A line got good frontal armour, some sidescrape ability and ends up with a big boomstick.

-IS-4 is really powercrept, but along the line there are some gems. It's a really hard line, but would teach you very well how to use armour effectively. I would suggest it just to more expert player tho.

Some other nation may have good HT too, like maus line in german tech tree, but I'm not so familiar with them...

Edited by Dava_117, 22 June 2018 - 10:29 AM.

unhappy_bunny #12 Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:16 AM

Major

• Player
  • 18099 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

O-I is noob friendly in that with the derp gun and HE you can have awesome battles, especially if top tier, but you still need to know what you are doing. Personally, I would advise getting more experience of the game in other lines and come back to the Japanese line later. You really do need to learn the maps, how the enemy tanks you will face play. 

However, some suggestions. 

Never go side on to the enemy. Your sides are your weak area.

Never let something like a Cromwell get close up to your side or rear. If that happens, start applying the lube. You have poor gun depression and a Cromwell along side you or right behind you is below your gun angle. 

As others have said, never go alone. You are easy pickings due to your reload time. So, equipment and crew skills are vital, anything that lowers your reload time is vital.

If possible form an O-I platoon. Its just so much fun. You can take turns to peek, shoot, pull back. Downside is 3 O-Is make a nice arty target, so be careful.

In fact, that should be your mantra, be careful. Think about where you go and how you position yourself. 

Most of all, have fun. 

But think about the idea of waiting a while before playing this tank too much. You really do need to learn more than just point and shoot. 

RaptorAbt #13 Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:20 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Clan Commander
  • 40993 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF

As Dava states, the Russian Heavy line is a more "friendly" route with a less punishing progression for a new player! 

Before getting a premium account or PMM vehicle (Churchill III), my KV-1 was my crew trainer and its still fun to play!

mpf1959 #14 Posted 22 June 2018 - 12:31 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15639 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
You listed 3 problems, there are more. Sell it and move on, that's my advice. ;)

Captain_Kremen0 #15 Posted 22 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37265 battles

Could just be that heavy tanks dont suit I you. I personally don't like them and play them only for the daily double grind.

The reason I don't like them is because i'm crap at them, though the VK...P german tier 8 is helping me learn as its quite forgiving.

Ronin81 #16 Posted 22 June 2018 - 12:43 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 25993 battles

1. Hide from arty

You are a 

+ big gun carrying

+ front armored

+ very hard to miss target that is slow moving

+ especially after the first stun.

Only a stupid arty would not shoot at you if given the chance. Always go where other heavies go (cities, narrow corridors , etc ;). Keep a large stone between you and the enemy team and be as far away from where enemy scouts roam while getting there. El haluf - top left of the map, Steppes - left side of the map, MInes - base of the hill hugging preferably with a shot at the ramp leading to the hill (lower resp works fine). If Malinovka or Prochorovka  with 3 tier 8 arties proceed to rage in chat :)

2. Get the derp gun with HE ammo
It guarantees 300+ damage to anything that you hit. Hull down T29s, Su101Ms, O-Ho - derp does not care. Derp is good. Derp is your friend. Derp loves you.

And you will love it back when you happen to hit some low armor target like the side of a medium tank, a paper TD like a Scorpion or WT (if they are careless enough to let you shoot them) for 600+ damage.
Derp gun choice consequences

2a. Your reload is in the 20s range. Don't go alone,  try to be in a group, or the enemy will just take your shot and do mean things to you after it. Especially if you miss that shot. 

2b. Your reload is in the 20s range. Wait for your reload behind a cover (you are in a city or raging in chat anyway because you remember point 1). Pop out (preferably not showing too much side at the enemy), let him have it, roll back. Aimig for the enemy hull is preferable for more HE damage but any hit is fine. Rince and repeat. Always carry a repair kit to fix a track if it gets shot out in the process. Small repair kit (3 k silver) will work just fine. I carry mine in the second slot so fast repairing a track is basically hitting the "5" key twice as fast as you can 

3. Remember that you have pretty decent front armor and that is about it when we speak about armor.

Always keep your front in the general direction of the enemy. No, it is not OK to wait a few more seconds for that 17 hit points medium to pop out from his cover with your tank hull pointing 90 degrees to the side because you were going somewhere.

NoobySkooby #17 Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:29 PM

Major

• Player
  • 12964 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

My sincere apologies I was getting confused with the 01 experimental, apart from the Sherman M4 mini derp, that is quickest loading derp gun of them all.

Now if only WG could release some jap arty with the same derp gun as the 01 EX, or some TD's with these awesome cannons, i just might be in heaven:popcorn:

HeidenSieker #18 Posted 22 June 2018 - 02:19 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostCst_69, on 22 June 2018 - 02:23 AM, said:

how should i play this tank? and if you know the best route i should take on different maps, please say those too.

http://wotreplays.eu...loaded_at.desc/

Nishi_Kinuyo #19 Posted 22 June 2018 - 05:31 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 7724 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

The bad viewrange thing is bollox.

Its tied with the VK36.01H for the most viewrange on a heavy tank at tier 6.

And, discounting premium tanks, there's only two tanks at tier 6 with more viewrange, and both are light tanks.

If you add crewskills and coated optics ontop of that, you got pretty good viewrange.

Also, there's no need to rush to the 15cm cannon; the 10cm cannon is decent enough.

Decent enough when compared to the elite gun on other tier 6 tanks, and this is your stock gun.

When you're in a tier 6 (toptier) match, angle your armour a bit and learn where to aim those AP shells (wait for the circle to stop shrinking).

And either withdraw behind hard cover after firing, or keep wiggling your hull and turret to make it harder for your enemies to shoot a flat surface.

Because of your large height you can also use other tanks for cover with just your turret poking out above them. :trollface:

As for arta; not much you can do about that except trying not to remain spotted, or as close to a big rock/building as possible.

You've got a large amount of hitpoints for a tier 6 heavy though, so don't be afraid to use it.

For the 15cm cannon: use HE unless you're certain that your AP is going to penetrate. The HEAT is very situational and you can probably do fine without it.

Long load times means that after firing a shot you should withdraw to avoid getting shot by the enemy until you can fire again.

If firing HE; try to aim for thinner pieces of armour; hull roofs, turret roofs, sides/rears of tanks/turrets; try to avoid shooting mantlets, gun barrels and tracks.

The AP shell is only 149.1mm in calibre, so don't bother shooting at 50mm plates of armour hoping to overmatch them (50mm plates need 151mm calibre or more).

Edited by Nishi_Kinuyo, 22 June 2018 - 05:37 PM.

leggasiini #20 Posted 22 June 2018 - 05:38 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 14130 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 22 June 2018 - 06:31 PM, said:

If firing HE; try to aim for thinner pieces of armour; hull roofs, turret roofs, sides/rears of tanks/turrets; try to avoid shooting mantlets, gun barrels and tracks.

Actually, shooting tracks is not a bad idea to immobilize enemy tanks. Shooting at track will most certainly destroy it and do a solid amount of damage, even if the damage isnt as high as you would have done when shot at a better place. The most optimal place is the inner track underneath the tank - its fairly safe at shorter ranges, deals a great amount of damage since it splashes at the belly of the vehicle, and it tracks the target as well.

Edited by leggasiini, 22 June 2018 - 05:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users