italian crew - 4th skill on driver

driver skills

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

snowlywhite #1 Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:02 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16102 battles

what would you have on driver after bia/camo/repairs? I know it's pretty irrelevant, but I'm perfectionist :P

I'm torn between: clutch, smooth ride and offroad. Tank is maneuverable, so 5% from clutch would multiply an already good parameter. Has already decent terrain resistance, so I'm not very convinced about offroad, as I'm reducing an already low parameter. Anything that improves firing on the move helps when peeking, but this is hardly a peekaboo tank; plus... 4%. But than, clutch is 5%...

I'm not considering firefighting because I don't plan to get again premium time while they keep this aids MM. So I need the tank to make credits; that basically excludes running it with food.

p.s. - forgot. Crew is to be used in proseco almost exclusively; not planing to grind the tree anytime soon.

Edited by snowlywhite, 25 June 2018 - 03:05 PM.

Dava_117 #2 Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:25 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19460 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
On a pretty nimble tank, with good terrain resistance, Smooth ride is a must, considering that italian high tier are paper and hence you want to minimize exposure time.

8126Jakobsson #3 Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:29 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 66460 battles
Smooth ride. 

PervyPastryPuffer #4 Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:42 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31014 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

I find that smooth ride doesn't improve the moving accuracy by any noticeable amount... even if your tank is already fast, why not maximize the turning ability with clutch braking? Or, if the ground resistances are high, go with offroad driving, it will also increase acceleration on medium/soft terrain because of the lowered ground resistance with the skill.

In the end, it all comes down to personal preference...you want better accuracy or better mobility?

snowlywhite #5 Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:34 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16102 battles

ultimately, none will make or break the vehicle. We're talking about 4-5 or 10% additions to a secondary parameter.

smooth ride only improves handling when you move not when turning the turret, so it's pretty hard to notice. I use it on my lights and try to convince myself it helps in knife fights when you autoaim. Which probably is perfectly false as target is 50m away, but... :P

Cannes76 #6 Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:48 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 66528 battles
  • [ORIGN] ORIGN
I usually go with preventative maintenance, then follow with fire fighting on the entire crew so I can drop the fire extinguisher for food.

arthurwellsley #7 Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:10 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 51761 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

arthurwellsley #8 Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:11 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 51761 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

Source = http://forum.worldof...ew-skill-guide/

the best guide and comparison of all perks.

Remember that the combination of Snap Shoot and Smooth Ride is nearly the same as VStab. So getting those two perks is like having a fourth piece of equipment on your tank. If you have the perks on the crew for these two they are the obvious choice.

"Smooth Ride” is the Driver’s equivalent to the “Snap Shot” skill of the Gunner. If fully trained it will reduce the dispersion penalty while moving by 4%, meaning each %age point in this skill will reduce it by 0,04%. Strictly speaking, this does only apply to the penalty while moving, not to the penalty on hull traverse.

With regards to the exact dispersion value with and without the skill and thus measuring the exact improvement, the same as for Snap Shot applies: It is really a shame that the base dispersion penalty is not shown anywhere in the game, so you do not know how needy you are for this skill. Obviously you will get a feeling, but precise figures are better. Mind you, dispersion can make or break a gun that looks otherwise great or bad on paper. You might also want to check the wiki for a deeper explanation of dispersion and accuracy in general and tanks.gg as a site that shows you all the relevant tank stats, including dispersion.

Also, I find this skill odd compared with Snap Shot because generally and with few exceptions only, the dispersion penalty on the move is much higher than on turret traverse – but the reduction via Smooth Ride is much lower than via Snap Shot. This really does not make a lot of sense, honestly.

Despite this unexplainable difference, Smooth Ride is still a very good skill to train on the Driver. The rule “you cannot have enough accuracy” prevails ultimately.

tank276 #9 Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 50083 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View Postsnowlywhite, on 25 June 2018 - 02:02 PM, said:

what would you have on driver after bia/camo/repairs? I know it's pretty irrelevant, but I'm perfectionist :P

I'm torn between: clutch, smooth ride and offroad. Tank is maneuverable, so 5% from clutch would multiply an already good parameter. Has already decent terrain resistance, so I'm not very convinced about offroad, as I'm reducing an already low parameter. Anything that improves firing on the move helps when peeking, but this is hardly a peekaboo tank; plus... 4%. But than, clutch is 5%...

I'm not considering firefighting because I don't plan to get again premium time while they keep this aids MM. So I need the tank to make credits; that basically excludes running it with food.

p.s. - forgot. Crew is to be used in proseco almost exclusively; not planing to grind the tree anytime soon.

Clutch braking for me , it makes tanks much more nimble.

azakow #10 Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:32 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 75914 battles

My Driver skills are: BIA, Off Road, Smoth Ride, Repair

View Postsnowlywhite, on 25 June 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

ultimately, none will make or break the vehicle. We're talking about 4-5 or 10% additions to a secondary parameter.

smooth ride only improves handling when you move not when turning the turret, so it's pretty hard to notice. I use it on my lights and try to convince myself it helps in knife fights when you autoaim. Which probably is perfectly false as target is 50m away, but... :P

It will not help at all, because it will only be active when going in a strait line. "knife fights" include turning the hull, hence no effect.

Spoiler

So in order to make it work in peekaboo situations you my not turn your hull.

snowlywhite #11 Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:22 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16102 battles

I really hope you're wrong, because than the skill is next to useless if it applies only to w-s and not to left-right too.

for what's worth(unfortunately not that much) - http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Crew

The Smooth Ride Skill is primarily helpful on fast tanks that like to circle or flank, but also useful for peek-a-boo shooting. To be clear, the Smooth Ride Skill improves the accuracy of shots made while the "vehicle" is moving and the Snap Shot Skill affects the same when the "turret" is moving. Both Snap Shot and Smooth Ride Skills are recommended for best battle performance, particularly for medium tanks or for any player who likes to run and gun and fire on the move.

wish the formulas in this game were less of a drag to figure out...

azakow #12 Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:30 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 75914 battles

View Postsnowlywhite, on 26 June 2018 - 11:22 AM, said:

I really hope you're wrong, because than the skill is next to useless if it applies only to w-s and not to left-right too.

for what's worth(unfortunately not that much) - http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Crew

The Smooth Ride Skill is primarily helpful on fast tanks that like to circle or flank, but also useful for peek-a-boo shooting. To be clear, the Smooth Ride Skill improves the accuracy of shots made while the "vehicle" is moving and the Snap Shot Skill affects the same when the "turret" is moving. Both Snap Shot and Smooth Ride Skills are recommended for best battle performance, particularly for medium tanks or for any player who likes to run and gun and fire on the move.

wish the formulas in this game were less of a drag to figure out...

Easy to apply in battle. It requires dicipline at the keyboard.

Dava_117 #13 Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:55 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19460 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postazakow, on 26 June 2018 - 06:32 AM, said:

It will not help at all, because it will only be active when going in a strait line. "knife fights" include turning the hull, hence no effect.

Spoiler

Actually, turning the hull while moving should consider both moving disperion and hull traverse disperion, IIRC...

So it still has an effect, but not as big as while driving on a straight line, that still is what you do while poking from a cover.

Edited by Dava_117, 26 June 2018 - 02:01 PM.

snowlywhite #14 Posted 26 June 2018 - 02:00 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16102 battles

so, basically, you peeps say that:

moving traverse - 4% from smooth ride

turret traverse - 7% from snap shot

tank traverse - not affected by anything

anyone actually tested this(thinking 4tankers, as I doubt anyone else has the patience)? Because, again, wiki says smooth boosts both moving and tank traverse. Or that's how I'd interpret this: "The Smooth Ride Skill is primarily helpful on fast tanks that like to circle or flank," I mean, God forbid they'd actually write in that wiki what it actually does...

It'd make sense to affect both tank and moving, since it's only 4%; and snap is 7, but affects only turret. But than again, information in this game is hard to come by.

Cannes76 #15 Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:55 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 66528 battles
  • [ORIGN] ORIGN

View Postazakow, on 26 June 2018 - 06:32 AM, said:

Spoiler

Rubbish. Of course smooth ride works if you are also turning the tank while driving.

azakow #16 Posted 26 June 2018 - 05:50 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 75914 battles

View PostCannes76, on 26 June 2018 - 04:55 PM, said:

Rubbish. Of course smooth ride works if you are also turning the tank while driving.

Please share your sources.

I am asking becasue the video ingame does not imply this.

And other sources say different as well.

Thank you.

Cannes76 #17 Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:43 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 66528 battles
  • [ORIGN] ORIGN

View Postazakow, on 26 June 2018 - 05:50 PM, said:

Please share your sources.

I am asking becasue the video ingame does not imply this.

And other sources say different as well.

Thank you.

There are 3 different aspects of the game which increase bloom of the reticle.

1: Turning the hull.

2: Moving the tank back or forwards.

3: Turning the turret.

If you do all 3 simultaneously you maximize bloom.

There are various options to reduce this bloom, including, but not limited to smooth ride and snap shot.

Just because you turn the hull of the tank, these skills are not switched off like a light switch. They just do not mitigate the bloom caused by turning the hull. It's quite simple.

snowlywhite #18 Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:01 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16102 battles

yes, yes, we know all that

the question is how are you sure smooth ride affects both tank and moving traverse and not only moving traverse. Would it be logical? Yes, since it's 4, while snap shot is 7.

but would be great if someone actually tested it. Because WG and common sense... don't go that well together.

Cannes76 #19 Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:20 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 66528 battles
  • [ORIGN] ORIGN

View Postsnowlywhite, on 27 June 2018 - 02:01 AM, said:

yes, yes, we know all that

the question is how are you sure smooth ride affects both tank and moving traverse and not only moving traverse. Would it be logical? Yes, since it's 4, while snap shot is 7.

but would be great if someone actually tested it. Because WG and common sense... don't go that well together.

huh? I said that smooth ride affects exactly only moving and not hull traverse. Just that travesing the hull does not switch off the skill.

azakow #20 Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:05 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 75914 battles

View PostCannes76, on 26 June 2018 - 11:43 PM, said:

There are 3 different aspects of the game which increase bloom of the reticle.

1: Turning the hull.

2: Moving the tank back or forwards.

3: Turning the turret.

If you do all 3 simultaneously you maximize bloom.

There are various options to reduce this bloom, including, but not limited to smooth ride and snap shot.

Just because you turn the hull of the tank, these skills are not switched off like a light switch. They just do not mitigate the bloom caused by turning the hull. It's quite simple.

:confused:

There is a difference in "switched of" and "do not mitigate"?

View PostCannes76, on 27 June 2018 - 10:20 AM, said:

huh? I said that smooth ride affects exactly only moving and not hull traverse. Just that travesing the hull does not switch off the skill.

Questions, becasue I am confused:

1. Is Smoth Ride effective when hull traversing (A/D-keys pressed)?
  2. Is Smoth Ride effective when going straigth (W/S-keys pressed)?
  3. Is Smoth Ride effective when moving (any combination of movement-keys pressed)?

My answers:

1. The effect of Smoth Ride is zero.
  2. The effect of Smoth Ride maximum.
  3. The effect of Smoth Ride is zero.

Edited by azakow, 27 June 2018 - 12:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users