Why do people moan about the game and yet keep playing it?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

ThinGun #1 Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:41 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34088 battles

Serious question.  There's a lot of negativity towards WG and WoT on this forum - and that's fine, everyone is entitled to an opinion. 

What I don't understand is why people who clearly aren't enjoying their game playing experience just carry on playing.  I have always had a ideal in life that, if I don't enjoy doing something, I change it or stop doing it.  is everyone who complains trying to change the game?  And, how long is someone willing to rage and moan about some aspect of the game before they realise it's not going to change?  And how long after that do they quit?

Please understand - I'm not saying people shouldn't complain or want things to get 'better' - just wondering if the moaning becomes a thing in itself rather than a positive hope for change.

Enforcer1975 #2 Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:48 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20713 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Many complaints are about small unimportant things...basically whine threads.
A few complaints however WG can do nothing about f.e. bot level players which is one reason players complain about.

LepiSale #3 Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:48 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 47017 battles
The same reason why I keep smoking cigarettes.

mpf1959 #4 Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:49 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13618 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Why do people moan about the game and yet keep playing it?

I really have no idea, the day I don't enjoy this game, because that's all it is, a game, is the day it gets uninstalled. 

_b_ #5 Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:51 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 54993 battles

View PostThinGun, on 27 June 2018 - 09:41 AM, said:

Serious question.  There's a lot of negativity towards WG and WoT on this forum - and that's fine, everyone is entitled to an opinion. 

What I don't understand is why people who clearly aren't enjoying their game playing experience just carry on playing.  I have always had a ideal in life that, if I don't enjoy doing something, I change it or stop doing it.  is everyone who complains trying to change the game?  And, how long is someone willing to rage and moan about some aspect of the game before they realise it's not going to change?  And how long after that do they quit?

Please understand - I'm not saying people shouldn't complain or want things to get 'better' - just wondering if the moaning becomes a thing in itself rather than a positive hope for change.

The issue isn't that we who complain aren't enjoying the game, it's that we are unable to enjoy it as much as it should be possible too!! ... due to WG being utterly useless in issues like balancing, map design, customer relations and such.

And we've managed to whine enough to go from no limit on numbers of arty, down to 5, and now down to 3 ... and with persistance we'll get it down to 1 eventually :)

THe new tier X ruskies MIGHT inmply they've hired some who actually can balance, considering they aren't OP free-exp to research asap before nerf vehicles ... so we might be going somewhere ... might ...

Suurpolskija #6 Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:54 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18692 battles
  • [URHO] URHO

It's good that this game has large content if the player him/herself is flexible. 

I'll whine about 1-shot vehicles: I think getting one-shot shouldn't happen, even when top tier TD shoots a bottom tier. High tier HE should have very low pen and should have remarkable downsides when not shot in the weakest parts of armor. 

prem ammo meta: Well, I grudgingly accept that one ammo is better than the other ammo if it's more expensive... BUT, high tiers are full of tanks and the maps are full of positions where tanks are completely invulnerable to regular ammo, but stupidly enough, still vulnerable to premium ammo. It feels so stupid (while very clever, obviously) to be "forced" to shoot premium ammo because if you don't, you can just bugger off to some other flank where instead of hulldown IS-7 you'll face a 705a sidescraping or what ever. 

And I don't agree with the strong premium tanks that flood the game nowadays. While I understand why it's lucrative in marketing perspective, I found learning and getting used to your handicapped premiums a lot more appealing. I do very well in my Revalorise and Matilda BP nowadays. They've got downsides and they got things going for them and you learn to play with them and you'll feel good when you can make those work. Defender, Paytriot, Skorpion, Lorraine & Progetto, they're pretty much the best tanks for their tier and it's kinda stupid imo. 

I still like the game. I just wish they'd make it a good game, not just good for generating income to them. In a long run a good game might even produce more money for them. 

Who knows. /ramble

FAME_skill4ltu #7 Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:16 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29928 battles
  • [FAME] FAME
when u dont complain nothing will change. simple as that. but wg wont change much so its useless to even try 

Simeon85 #8 Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:18 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 1097 battles

Because fundamentally I like the game, and I do get enjoyment from it, but it's got problems and it could be a lot better. 

WG should do a lot better. 

A good example is 3-5-7 MM, people can enjoy playing the game, but 3-5-7 puts them off playing certain tiers or certain tanks, so they would still enjoy the game but that is still an issue that WG have done nothing about. 

Also a lot of the complaints are about stuff that wasn't here before, again 3-5-7, so playing tier 8 now is a lot worse than it was before, or the Bobject, that is a tank has been here 3 months.  So one day people are enjoying the game, next day WG make a change that makes the game worse, people will obviously complain until it's fixed.

Also things do change, often based on feedback from the playerbase, in some cases changes never happen.

I see this argument - 

Block Quote

And, how long is someone willing to rage and moan about some aspect of the game before they realise it's not going to change?

Commonly posted in the artillery threads, people spouting the same stuff about arty always being here and it's not going to go away etc.

Yet artillery has over the life of the game had at least two major re-balances (which essentially were nerfs), WG would not have done that without negative feedback from the playerbase about artillery, if everyone just accepted it as 'that is the way it is' then we'd still have games with 12 OP AF artillery aside like we did back in the day (and the game would likely be dead). I will continue to complain about artillery because I think it is fundamentally bad for the game and the game will be better off without it or at least in a very limited form that has minimal impact.

Should also be noted that we don't have things like emblems that give boosts to crew and high tier penetration nerfs at range because of community backlash. We also have seen a clear change in direction on new premiums again based on community backlash (Defender/Fochgate) and WG are currently re-think their plans with regards pref-MM tanks due to community feedback on this issue.

Negative feedback has clearly worked on many issues in the game, not always quickly, but it has happened. 

You can like a game but not like certain aspects of it.  If certain aspects are consistently complained about then often that is an area that can be improved. 

Kozzy #9 Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:20 AM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

Some WoT players be like:

CircleOfSorrow #10 Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:25 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28819 battles
Jesus Christ...ok.  It's the phenomenon of addiction.  When the developers talk about design decisions they make being in order to create 'memorable experiences', they are talking about creating 'wins' that keep gamblers gambling.  If you create spikes in dopamine levels, you can keep a rat pressing a lever that electrocutes its testicles.

Kozzy #11 Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:26 AM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 27 June 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

Jesus Christ...ok. It's the phenomenon of addiction. When the developers talk about design decisions they make being in order to create 'memorable experiences', they are talking about creating 'wins' that keep gamblers gambling. If you create spikes in dopamine levels, you can keep a rat pressing a lever that electrocutes its testicles.

You feel like a victim of addiction?

CircleOfSorrow #12 Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:29 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28819 battles

View PostKozzy, on 27 June 2018 - 10:26 AM, said:

You feel like a victim of addiction?

As much as anybody can be a 'victim' of the consequences of their own behaviour.  Humans are hard-wired to participate in risky behaviour.  It is how our species got to the top.  Do you dispute this fact?

Kozzy #13 Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:32 AM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 27 June 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

As much as anybody can be a 'victim' of the consequences of their own behaviour.  Humans are hard-wired to participate in risky behaviour.  It is how our species got to the top.  Do you dispute this fact?

Sorry, which 'fact' are you asking if I agree with?

TankkiPoju #14 Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:32 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20014 battles

View PostLepiSale, on 27 June 2018 - 10:48 AM, said:

The same reason why I keep smoking cigarettes.

Which is what?

CircleOfSorrow #15 Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:34 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28819 battles

View PostKozzy, on 27 June 2018 - 10:32 AM, said:

Sorry, which 'fact' are you asking if I agree with?

Really?  Ok, lost cause.

View PostTankkiPoju, on 27 June 2018 - 10:32 AM, said:

Which is what?

Are you serious?  You don't understand what addiction is?  How poorly educated are players of this game?!

TankkiPoju #16 Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:35 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20014 battles

View PostFAME_skill4ltu, on 27 June 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

when u dont complain nothing will change. simple as that. but wg wont change much so its useless to even try 

So why do you play the game then? Seems to me like if you expect something to change and it doesn't.... why not just quit?

Personally I don't play WoT much anymore, just few games when I feel like it. I don't think WG will ever fix anything, because they are clearly just milking the game. I'm actually fine with that, they don't own me anything.

Kozzy #17 Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:36 AM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 27 June 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

Really?  Ok, lost cause.

You posted spurious nonsense, none of which could be classified as anything other than opinion.  Hence I was confused when you attributed any of it to the word 'fact'.

Keyanu #18 Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:36 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9173 battles
  • [TE4RS] TE4RS
People are always quick to complain but slow to praise.

Jigabachi #19 Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:39 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Because, while being plastered with problems everywhere, the game is still fairly unique.
If you have grown to enjoy this kind of game, you can't simply switch to another one that might be better while offering the same kind of gameplay.

Apart from that, the game wasn't always that bad, so people are just voicing their frustration about something they really care about.

And some people are just pathetic whiners.

azakow #20 Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:41 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 74843 battles

View PostKozzy, on 27 June 2018 - 11:36 AM, said:

You posted spurious nonsense, none of which could be classified as anything other than opinion.  Hence I was confused when you attributed any of it to the word 'fact'.

Naughty nitpicker!

:trollface:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users