OBL - a terrible disease indeed

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Pattonizer #1 Posted 29 June 2018 - 01:38 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8755 battles
I just call it Obsessive Base Lingering. Yeah, just made it up 6 seconds ago, because I'm a ****** genius. I know I am. No need to thank me. 

To be serious what is going on? For what do people look around the spawn circle all the time? Is this the new meta and I did not get the memo? What is this terrible search? Was ist das Mysterium? Is there an Eastern Egg in the game? Maybe a treasure chest buried somewhere? Did we get a secret map in some mission and I missed it somehow?

Why do people keep lingering on the base even after 4-5 minutes? Is this thing infectious? Guys, I don't want to get sick. Am I in danger as well? Am I going to be paralyzed right at the beginning, my forehead just hits the keyboard, drooling like a Cave Troll? Is it some epileptic seizure what's coming for me? I don't want that! :ohmy:

Look at this. What is this? I was running back from the hill like a fool after realized OBL just hit my team in mass scales. FYI we won the game (however most of these guys in the base ended up dead somehow..), but the epidermic is still going on. 

Should we apply game theory here or what's the solution to this riddle? The battle starts and the chain reaction just paralyzes the team? One dude has no clue where to go, then the other one becomes discouraged as well, then the third one says "dang it, let's just stay here then" and it spreads. At least this is my theory.

E-75 in base on Cliff. Caernarvon on base on Abbey. Progetto platoon on base at Mines. Do we need smaller maps to get this hard decision off their shoulders? Like 100m x 100m? Or both team spawning at the same spot? What is the resolution of this equation? The battle starts, healthy people get to position, but look back at the base.... 4-5 tanks just lingering there. Turning their body, looking around. Like there are some hospitals where newborn babies are put right in front of the computer. Roll on, OAH!

Should we get some vaccination soon? :ohmy:

Edited by Pattonizer, 29 June 2018 - 01:42 AM.

lumberjack500 #2 Posted 29 June 2018 - 02:53 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 23111 battles
  • [MEME] MEME

Can we appreciate this games is only 56 seconds in though?

NUKLEAR_SLUG #3 Posted 29 June 2018 - 03:09 AM

Major

• Player
  • 30529 battles

View Postlumberjack500, on 29 June 2018 - 02:53 AM, said:

Can we appreciate this games is only 56 seconds in though?

.... and OP is closer to his own base than 90% of his own team...

spamhamstar #4 Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:40 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 64313 battles
  • [LLAY] LLAY

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 29 June 2018 - 02:09 AM, said:

.... and OP is closer to his own base than 90% of his own team...

Yes, but he's running away...

Stereoscope #5 Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:45 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 81381 battles

View Postspamhamstar, on 29 June 2018 - 04:40 AM, said:

Yes, but he's running away...

At 0 km/h that is going to take an eternity.

spamhamstar #6 Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:52 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 64313 battles
  • [LLAY] LLAY

View Posttrusteft, on 29 June 2018 - 04:45 AM, said:

At 0 km/h that is going to take an eternity.

View PostPattonizer, on 29 June 2018 - 12:38 AM, said:

I was running back from the hill like a fool

Neither of us said he was doing it well :)

Hedgehog1963 #7 Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:00 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 51609 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY
A T92 at the back is the biggest issue I see.

NoobySkooby #8 Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:56 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 15053 battles

View PostPattonizer, on 29 June 2018 - 01:38 AM, said:

I just call it Obsessive Base Lingering. Yeah, just made it up 6 seconds ago, because I'm a ****** genius. I know I am. No need to thank me. 

To be serious what is going on? For what do people look around the spawn circle all the time? Is this the new meta and I did not get the memo? What is this terrible search? Was ist das Mysterium? Is there an Eastern Egg in the game? Maybe a treasure chest buried somewhere? Did we get a secret map in some mission and I missed it somehow?

Why do people keep lingering on the base even after 4-5 minutes? Is this thing infectious? Guys, I don't want to get sick. Am I in danger as well? Am I going to be paralyzed right at the beginning, my forehead just hits the keyboard, drooling like a Cave Troll? Is it some epileptic seizure what's coming for me? I don't want that! :ohmy:

Look at this. What is this? I was running back from the hill like a fool after realized OBL just hit my team in mass scales. FYI we won the game (however most of these guys in the base ended up dead somehow..), but the epidermic is still going on. 

Should we apply game theory here or what's the solution to this riddle? The battle starts and the chain reaction just paralyzes the team? One dude has no clue where to go, then the other one becomes discouraged as well, then the third one says "dang it, let's just stay here then" and it spreads. At least this is my theory.

E-75 in base on Cliff. Caernarvon on base on Abbey. Progetto platoon on base at Mines. Do we need smaller maps to get this hard decision off their shoulders? Like 100m x 100m? Or both team spawning at the same spot? What is the resolution of this equation? The battle starts, healthy people get to position, but look back at the base.... 4-5 tanks just lingering there. Turning their body, looking around. Like there are some hospitals where newborn babies are put right in front of the computer. Roll on, OAH!

Should we get some vaccination soon? :ohmy:

The reason why people do this is to watch what the other people do, if they do a lemming rush to one side, or as my old clan leader would say, lets hang back a few seconds, to see where all the idiots go, simply put it is a tactic, ok not really much use in a light tank as you need to zip off to the front to get killed quickly, but if you are in any slow tank, like the Churchill, Matilda, or TOG, those few seconds can help you decide where to go, well thats what I find.

Rati_Festa #9 Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:07 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 44383 battles
4-5 sat on base is pretty frequent, they are most likely sub 500 wn8. My pet hate are scout players with crap pcs and they load in 30 secs after game starts, then drive to most obvious spotting point and die instantly.

Xandania #10 Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:40 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37298 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-

Wait... you might have a point there. Not an X, but a circle marks the treasure on the map. And those poor guys are waiting for a tank with a shovel to arrive!

That must be it. We need more shovels on tanks to alleviate the troubles!

Bora_BOOM #11 Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:26 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 23657 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

Them being in the base is no problem, they can get a shot or two in and BTG blaming others (top tiers, you know). :trollface:

The problem is that none of them is on the hill (or at least supporting), which is something they should have done.

Winning a game without winning the hill is possible only if horde of enemy bots rush there and then screw up.

I believe that was the case, and your team was lucky stopping them cause all of the base campers.

By looking at the map your team has no map control, so you won only cause the enemy team played to lose.

On the subject, having one or two tanks camping base is usual. Not that is useful, but sometimes it helps.

The problem is when you have advanced towards enemy and base campers still stay in the back despite

not having targets to shoot at.

And when top tiers decide "kemping is gud"... Jolly 3-5-7 steamrolls.

Pattonizer #12 Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:56 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8755 battles

View PostBora_BOOM, on 29 June 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

Them being in the base is no problem, they can get a shot or two in and BTG blaming others (top tiers, you know). :trollface:

The problem is that none of them is on the hill (or at least supporting), which is something they should have done.

Winning a game without winning the hill is possible only if horde of enemy bots rush there and then screw up.

I believe that was the case, and your team was lucky stopping them cause all of the base campers.

By looking at the map your team has no map control, so you won only cause the enemy team played to lose.

On the subject, having one or two tanks camping base is usual. Not that is useful, but sometimes it helps.

The problem is when you have advanced towards enemy and base campers still stay in the back despite

not having targets to shoot at.

And when top tiers decide "kemping is gud"... Jolly 3-5-7 steamrolls.

No, no.

For this time, I'm not talking about camping. I talk about LINGERING. Eventually these 4-5 tanks are moving to somewhere. Only in 3-4 minutes. The best example is Live Oaks. It's totally obvious who wins the south canal flank wins the battle. The one of few maps where a lemming rush is a good tactic (maps with two separated open flanks are these ones, like Murovanka for another one..).

The dudes are not camping. I check their status, they are loaded into the game already. They are just puzzled. They are helpless. They linger. By the time they make up their minds, it's late. .

P.S.
The enemy team played to lose this one indeed, you are 100% right in that. I was even AFK for 1 minute for taking an important call.

Edited by Pattonizer, 29 June 2018 - 10:57 AM.

mpf1959 #13 Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:02 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17577 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
At first glance I thought this thread was about Osama Bin Laden................

Pattonizer #14 Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:09 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8755 battles

View Postspamhamstar, on 29 June 2018 - 04:52 AM, said:

Neither of us said he was doing it well :)

I just stopped for a good screen shot. Here is an other one, I was doing it well. You guys are being forumite vultures on a scientific discovery!!!444four!!!!

We got through eventually, but this is still not the point.

WoT_RU_Doing #15 Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:10 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 48498 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-
You can actually collect Pokémon on most maps in Random Battles. I'm not going to give away any of the locations, but they appear 16 minutes into the battle.

Pattonizer #16 Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:13 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8755 battles

View PostNoobySkooby, on 29 June 2018 - 07:56 AM, said:

The reason why people do this is to watch what the other people do, if they do a lemming rush to one side, or as my old clan leader would say, lets hang back a few seconds, to see where all the idiots go, simply put it is a tactic, ok not really much use in a light tank as you need to zip off to the front to get killed quickly, but if you are in any slow tank, like the Churchill, Matilda, or TOG, those few seconds can help you decide where to go, well thats what I find.

That is another thing. It takes for a proper player about 5, FIVE seconds at most to see where the team is heading. Then get to your position. You don't need to linger on the base for 3 minutes.

Element6 #17 Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:23 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29816 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

If you notice the size of your viewrange circle you will see that it covers the enemy cap even if you are behind your own cap, and the T71 in the bush straight ahead probably sees as far as the enemy spawn. On certain small maps there is often no point in rushing to mid-map and risk your tank when you can spot from the rear, so I'm not always surprised to see tanks hang back, I even do it myself if I have good viewrange and still spot enemies. Of course, a heavily armored tank with a gun that lacks accuracy tend to not benefit from this and is better used in a more forward position.

This is a general comment and not specific to this screenshot.

unhappy_bunny #18 Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:28 AM

Major

• Player
  • 18577 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

View PostPattonizer, on 29 June 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

That is another thing. It takes for a proper player about 5, FIVE seconds at most to see where the team is heading. Then get to your position. You don't need to linger on the base for 3 minutes.

But your 1st screenshot was at 56 seconds not 3-4 minutes. Some tanks also move slower than others, some players may change direction, especially when they see where others are heading, so your 5 seconds may not be enough to get an accurate picture. 

While you may be right about some players sitting in base for too long, the example you gave was not a good one and rather ruins your arguement.

Pattonizer #19 Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:31 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8755 battles

View PostElement6_TheSprout, on 29 June 2018 - 10:23 AM, said:

If you notice the size of your viewrange circle you will see that it covers the enemy cap even if you are behind your own cap, and the T71 in the bush straight ahead probably sees as far as the enemy spawn. On certain small maps there is often no point in rushing to mid-map and risk your tank when you can spot from the rear, so I'm not always surprised to see tanks hang back, I even do it myself if I have good viewrange and still spot enemies. Of course, a heavily armored tank with a gun that lacks accuracy tend to not benefit from this and is better used in a more forward position.

This is a general comment and not specific to this screenshot.

A general comment on small maps.

You know what? I try to understand why people does not want the hill anymore on Mines. The enemy gets it and wins anyway, but I start to see the arguments which validating things here. Maybe I'm just too off to think about these things.

This is why I make the suggestion for 10m x 10m maps. We can really have general answers on base lingering on that one.

spamhamstar #20 Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:32 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 64313 battles
  • [LLAY] LLAY

View PostPattonizer, on 29 June 2018 - 10:09 AM, said:

but this is still not the point.

View PostPattonizer, on 29 June 2018 - 09:56 AM, said:

I was even AFK for 1 minute for taking an important call.

The plot thickens ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users