Would We Call A 15% Discount On A Tier8 Good?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 01 July 2018 - 10:54 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20670 battles

Hi guys,

As you may know, I recently did the British turreted TD line and got as far as the Charioteer. I then decided to wait on a discounted weekend before I bought it and low and behold, here is a discounted weekend for this tank. That said, it's only 15% and thought discounts on tier8 tanks were generally 30% but of course this varies depending on the weekend and event etc.

Am I wrong in thinking this is not such a great deal? So far as credits go I would save only about 370k credits which is nice but not great. Thing is, I'm not hanging on the edge of my computer seat to get this TD so am I correct in thinking that generally the discounts for tier8 are typically 30% and I am correct in thinking this is not such a great deal? Think of all the gold spamming I can do for an extra 370k :P

Also for a bonus question as we're on the Charioteer topic, what is the best way to grind out this tank? I see the xp requirements for guns are very high and it can actually mount all 3 guns without the need for upgraded tracks to be unlocked HOWEVER not unlocking the tracks means that you can only carry 2 pieces of equipment. That said, I'm not sure it will be all that worse off, I mean, a rammer and a set of binocs would suffice for most cases and I'd only stick in a gld or vent so.... I'm thinking unlock the guns first? That said, the 2nd gun is hardly much of a gain over the stock, hmmmm....?

Enforcer1975 #2 Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:45 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20515 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
15% is better than 0%
370k is a lot of premium ammo you can shoot but you don't really need it after you unlocked the top gun.

_b_ #3 Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:49 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 54991 battles

Grind the line if you are one it, buy it if you want it ...and 15% is better than nothing ... 30% is only for tott things.

Other than that, enjoy and have fun and be expected to tear our large tufts of hair when gun depression makes you rage ..other than that this line is fun :)

captainpigg #4 Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30949 battles
  • [F-DIV] F-DIV

View Post_b_, on 01 July 2018 - 10:49 PM, said:

Grind the line if you are one it, buy it if you want it ...and 15% is better than nothing ... 30% is only for tott things.

Other than that, enjoy and have fun and be expected to tear our large tufts of hair when gun depression makes you rage ..other than that this line is fun :)

How is -10°'s bad?

TungstenHitman #5 Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:01 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20670 battles

View PostEnforcer1975, on 01 July 2018 - 10:45 PM, said:

15% is better than 0%
370k is a lot of premium ammo you can shoot but you don't really need it after you unlocked the top gun.

Don't misunderstand, the discount is nice but what I meant is, I am in no mad urgency to buy this tank and well, maybe I am better off waiting a little longer for a better discount, when I mention 370k, I mean and additional 370k if I hold out for a better offer, 30% would be a saving of 740k, really nice. You see, I was thinking that this battle of Kursk coming and summer time WG desperation might lead to some better offers coming down the pipeline soon and I thought maybe you guys might have heard something about such deals? and like I said, I can hold off buying this tank for a while longer and maybe be the better for it, building up free xp and such?

Gremlin182 #6 Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:07 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 46633 battles

I was lucky as when I got to the charioteer as I had already unlocked both 20 pounders on the other British TD line.

The top Engine and Radio I had on the Challenger so not much to grind.

The stock 20 pounder is lighter than the B barrel you might be able to mount more equipment while you grind the 105 or the tracks

370 view range of course and ammo can get a little short in long battles.

Pretty decent TD and the Conway is I think even better.

Edited by Gremlin182, 02 July 2018 - 12:08 AM.

Desyatnik_Pansy #7 Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:39 AM

Bartender

• Player
  • 15522 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostTungstenHitman, on 01 July 2018 - 10:54 PM, said:

Also for a bonus question as we're on the Charioteer topic, what is the best way to grind out this tank? I see the xp requirements for guns are very high and it can actually mount all 3 guns without the need for upgraded tracks to be unlocked HOWEVER not unlocking the tracks means that you can only carry 2 pieces of equipment. That said, I'm not sure it will be all that worse off, I mean, a rammer and a set of binocs would suffice for most cases and I'd only stick in a gld or vent so.... I'm thinking unlock the guns first? That said, the 2nd gun is hardly much of a gain over the stock, hmmmm....?

To my understanding, you don't want to play the Charioteer without the 105mm. I certainly didn't and I've not heard good things about it with those guns, since having 230 Alpha on a paper TD At Tier VIII Isn't exactly great, and it ends up playing like a worse CDC With those guns so I imagine. However you sadly don't have that much Free XP To spare that you could just immediately get the 105mm, so all I can really say is good luck with playing it with those crappy 20pdrs (the B Barrel improves gun handling slightly, increases the aimtime and accuracy and has an improved reload).

I'd probably recommend suffering through the A Barrel to get to the B Barrel, suffering through part of that and then Free XPing the 105mm whenever you're happy with the XP You have. Not really sure how I feel about the tracks situation, I'd probably get them first just because, but I can't really argue for either for or against your decision.

Hedgehog1963 #8 Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:06 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 50864 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY

No I don't know...

Take it or leave it.

Trostani #9 Posted 02 July 2018 - 05:49 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 45123 battles
  • [TDSTX] TDSTX

View PostTungstenHitman, on 01 July 2018 - 09:54 PM, said:

Hi guys,

As you may know, I recently did the British turreted TD line and got as far as the Charioteer. I then decided to wait on a discounted weekend before I bought it and low and behold, here is a discounted weekend for this tank. That said, it's only 15% and thought discounts on tier8 tanks were generally 30% but of course this varies depending on the weekend and event etc.

Am I wrong in thinking this is not such a great deal? So far as credits go I would save only about 370k credits which is nice but not great. Thing is, I'm not hanging on the edge of my computer seat to get this TD so am I correct in thinking that generally the discounts for tier8 are typically 30% and I am correct in thinking this is not such a great deal? Think of all the gold spamming I can do for an extra 370k :P

15% is standard discount for tier VIII-X. I remember only one special with -30% since I'm playing (and I bought over 40 tier X on discount sales). 30% is reserved for top of the tree so there is no point to complain here.

Edited by Trostani, 02 July 2018 - 05:51 AM.

undutchable80 #10 Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:48 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6964 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostTungstenHitman, on 01 July 2018 - 10:54 PM, said:

Hi guys,

I am the same as you; I usually wait for discounts before buying tanks T7 and up. Only time Tier 8 and up get 30% discount from what I remember is when they are TotT or during Christmas. Dunno if the UK TD line has been TotT yet (and what chance it has of ever being voted TotT), but you could wait for that, or Christmas time, IF you have that much patience. I know I will go ahead and buy the Centurion Mk.1 tonight cuz 15% = better than nothing and I enjoy the line. 

Mav75 #11 Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:47 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 30100 battles
15% is good enough. You may end up waiting a very long time for tha 30% Top of the Tree discount.

DA_ZOHAN #12 Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:58 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53958 battles
  • [OZ77] OZ77

WG throws 3-4 T8-T10 discounts a year at us at the 15%.  370k is basically 5-6 decent T8 prem matches with premium account (considering premium ammo usage facing t10's).  500+K discount on t9's, and 1 million on t10's.  I usually try to wait for the discounts to buy new tanks, and grind other tanks when waiting, while collecting FXP to unlock modules on unlocked tanks.

If you gonna wait for ToT discounts to buy tanks, then make sure you target the most OP and newest tanks for it, since nothing but the most OP and newest lines get featured.  For instance, you completed the 121 MT line, GL getting the 121 as ToT.  However, Bat/140/TVP will not have to wait unless they already featured.

In Hebrew there is an expression (it doesn't translate as well, it rhimes in Hebrew)  They give it to you?  Take.  They throwing a beating on you?  Run.

Homer_J #13 Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:14 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
It's a long time since we had 30% and even longer since we had 50%, it seems the current way is to just throw credits at us (or large repair kits which you can sell for credits).

Geno1isme #14 Posted 02 July 2018 - 10:58 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 41469 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View Postundutchable80, on 02 July 2018 - 07:48 AM, said:

Dunno if the UK TD line has been TotT yet (and what chance it has of ever being voted TotT), but you could wait for that, or Christmas time, IF you have that much patience.

The Fv4005 has not been TotT yet, and was actually runners-up in the last TotT TD poll in May behind the Obj268v4, so there is a pretty good chance for it to be TotT soon (have to wait what class is due next month, could be Lights or TDs).

View PostHomer_J, on 02 July 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

It's a long time since we had 30% and even longer since we had 50%, it seems the current way is to just throw credits at us (or large repair kits which you can sell for credits).

As far as I can remember there was only once -30% for high-tiers in general, normally this is only for TotT vehicles. And I've only ever seen -50% for low-tier vehicles up to tier 5, never for high tiers.

View PostDA_ZOHAN, on 02 July 2018 - 08:58 AM, said:

If you gonna wait for ToT discounts to buy tanks, then make sure you target the most OP and newest tanks for it, since nothing but the most OP and newest lines get featured.  For instance, you completed the 121 MT line, GL getting the 121 as ToT.  However, Bat/140/TVP will not have to wait unless they already featured.

Well, most decent tanks have already been featured, currently the most likely winners are new and/or reworked lines like 430U, 268v4 or S-Conq, as they mostly compete against "stinkers" like Obj268, IS-4 or 121.

Next med will likely be the Patton, for heavies it depends if the polish techtree will be implemented then (otherwise it's likely a 50:50 between 277 and 705A), for TDs as mentioned above the Fv4005 is the most likely winner, and with Lights there are only two left anyway (Sheridan and Rheinmetall, and I think Sheridan will win that duel).

If you're targeting a line that was already featured don't wait for a TotT discount, it will likely be 2021 or later before the poll options are going to be reset.

FluffyRedFox #15 Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:22 AM

General

• Player
  • 22556 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

A 15% discount is better than a 0% discount so I'd say its good enough. FV4005 was 2nd in the last poll for TD ToTT so if they don't introduce a new TD line, it should be the next TD ToTT which I think is in September.

For the Charioteer stock grind - Get the 105 ASAP, the 20pdrs are utterly atrocious. 

DutchBaron_ #16 Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:37 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9918 battles
  • [FDAD] FDAD
If you don't mind waiting 3 or so months it will most likely be the next tott TD with 30% off

vixu #17 Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:06 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 41892 battles

best you can get is probably another 15%. is it worth it to wait - up to you.

Captain_Kremen0 #18 Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36801 battles

whilst 15% isnt brilliant its better than nothing, especially if youve just come to that point in the tech tree (me and OP) 

Also the saving may very well get put to a half price derpy Sherman 3

TungstenHitman #19 Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:08 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20670 battles

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure if 15% discount was the norm for a tier8. It's an ok discount, better than nothing but also not exactly credit savings large enough to rush me into buying this tank either. So I'm going to give it a miss this time. I never realized just how crap those two 20-pdr guns are until you guys brought it to my attention and it is this that has made my decision really easy not to buy this tank yet. I will make it my "project" tank and just save away my free xp until I get that top gun, which will take ages so I don't need that tank in the mean time and can afford to wait until a better deal comes my way. 

I think WG got this gun grind massively wrong I really do. Normally the top gun from the previous tank features at some stage on the next tier tank too as an option but with Charioteer it doesn't and you can compare the two on the screenshot, the left is the Challengers top gun and the right is the two Charioteer options before the top gun. Now, the Challengers top gun was ok and punchy at tier7, nothing great, decent, but the JPanthers 105mm kicks the 32-pdr in the nuts for aim time and alpha tbh.

I would drive on with the Challengers 32-pdr on the Charioteer at tier8 though, give it a tiny little improvement in aim time and soft stats as you would imagine it should at tier8 and ya, it becomes acceptable gun for grinding but you don't even get that gun, as you guys said you get not one but two crapguns instead with much worse aim times and worse alpha.. in fact, this is the same sort of alpha I get with my Hellcat and VK(P) at tier6 only those guns aim much faster, handle better and I don't have to use them to remove tier8-10 levels of hp! 

I understand all tanks have to have xp sinks so that it takes X amount of xp to grind from tier8->9 etc but they really needed to find another way or at the very least, make that second 20pdr much better, and I mean a LOT better, like 1.6 aim time and a viscous RoF to negate the crap alpha and pen but... they didn't, it's barely any better than the stock and still inferior in every way to the tier7 Challengers top gun which as already mentioned, is not the best gun at tier7 anyway so... no buy for me right now. 370 view range too I just noticed... you do know my tier6 meds have that view range yes WG? God damn it.... 

BTW you can get discounts of up to 50% on higher tiers also though it is not the norm. Last Christmas event completion was rewarded with such discounts. I still have such discounts on certain tanks, such as this Centurion as you can see but I lost interest and someone told me it was a craptank made of ammoracks so I lost interest as I found the Comet a but boring... can't remember what tier9 and 10 tank I made discounted and what those were, maybe 30%? 

View PostCaptain_Kremen0, on 02 July 2018 - 11:31 AM, said:

whilst 15% isnt brilliant its better than nothing, especially if youve just come to that point in the tech tree (me and OP) 

Also the saving may very well get put to a half price derpy Sherman 3

The tier5 derp was a fun grind! :trollface: and it's on sale for only 180k lol. That's where this game losing the urge to grind higher tier tanks, why suffer for 150-200 battles with a tier8 stock tank grind and even worse at tier9 when you can have a fully upgraded tank at mid tiers really quickly and cheaply. More fun at higher tiers? Is it? I wouldn't have thought so, more annoying powercreep rage inducing grindy stalemate battles imo

FluffyRedFox #20 Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:21 PM

General

• Player
  • 22556 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostTungstenHitman, on 02 July 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

can't remember what tier9 and 10 tank I made discounted and what those were, maybe 30%? 

Yea they were 30% off, put mine on the CAX

vgnppCD.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users