Does selfishness pay?

selfish play style rewards

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Bigtime_Alarm #1 Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:31 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 18133 battles
Here is a question for you, does it pay to be selfish in WOT? You could imagine several ways to be selfless or selfish during a match, but overall does the selfish person do better, get more xp, credits etc. or do they ultimately lose out?  Some of the advice you see on Youtube videos (for example) seems pretty selfish, i.e. if a flank is collapsing run away because that suggests leaving someone else to die buying you time to do so. Or sit hidden in a given 'good' spot  and farm damage, which implies someone else taking bigger risks than you in order to spot. If nobody did the riskier, more selfless stuff (or played badly as some people may call it) would the more selfish behaviour even still work?

Desyatnik_Pansy #2 Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:40 PM

Bartender

• Player
  • 16440 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

In short, yes. In long, most of the time yes, or perhaps to better word it, it pays to be selfish if being selfish is actually more beneficial to the team and is more likely to win you the game. Y'know, not doing crap like putting your tank in front of a teammate's just because he is spotted and is being shot and you are not, even though you would just be pointlessly taking damage. Or people who get mad at you for "abandoning the flank", when it is entirely more logical to retreat to a stronger position because your tank actually has the ability to do that, and to then engage the enemy from that stronger position rather than dying with them for some bollocks reasoning like "honour".

Solstad1069 #3 Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:48 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 41019 battles

Yes and no.

Should i stay or should i go :)

Its a desision that needs to be taken in a few seconds. In a slow tank you have to take the desision earlier than in a faster tank.

How many tanks do i have with me AND behind me that can help, what kind of tanks do i fight and how much HP is there.

I try not to be selfish if i think there is a tiny chance we can win the flank simply because it gives us an overall huge advantage in winning the battle.

Elmer_Fud #4 Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:50 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 1702 battles

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 05 July 2018 - 09:40 PM, said:

In short, yes. In long, most of the time yes, or perhaps to better word it, it pays to be selfish if being selfish is actually more beneficial to the team and is more likely to win you the game. Y'know, not doing crap like putting your tank in front of a teammate's just because he is spotted and is being shot and you are not, even though you would just be pointlessly taking damage. Or people who get mad at you for "abandoning the flank", when it is entirely more logical to retreat to a stronger position because your tank actually has the ability to do that, and to then engage the enemy from that stronger position rather than dying with them for some bollocks reasoning like "honour".

+1...... play the game to win, and don't be influenced by the map spammers who try tell you where to go etc..... I've fallen foul of that in the past. Now I evaluate for myself...it seems to work better.

Flavortown #5 Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16158 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

its 1vs15 or if you are really unlucky it'l be 1vs29.
Only thing you can expect your teammates to do is get hit so there's literally 0 point in trying to help them.

If you want team play then go play in a platoon or cw

Balc0ra #6 Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:13 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66298 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Depends. 

Say you are holding a corner with one tank on your team. And you know there are more then 6 guns coming your way. You stay, you die before you can even fire. And die for nothing. Fall back and play the selfish card and get 3 shots in on the one that stayed's spotting, reducing the HP pool of the push group. And then falling back to regroup with the remaining players on your team to get more guns. Then I would say no. As you did more for your team by running & regrouping, vs staying.  As if you stayed and died doing nothing. Would that make it better for your win chance or team? 

Falling back to the red line instantly because XVM said it was a loss. And you farm damage as top tier sitting at the back watching your team fail. Then does it really help? As they say. It's not how much damage you do. It's how you do it. Even if you sat at the back doing 4K damage, you might still lose not helping anyone. Vs if you did 2K damage, took some hits and helped out where you could, running away when needed and staying alive. Even if you lost a gun now and then due to it. So a little selfish can pay. But 100%?... not really. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 05 July 2018 - 10:16 PM.

Enforcer1975 #7 Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:16 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20760 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostFlavortown, on 05 July 2018 - 10:03 PM, said:

Only thing you can expect your teammates to do is get hit so there's literally 0 point in trying to help them.

^

This...i need to be more egoistic. Had some good games when i did that...i just need to turn off chat so i am not distracted by the bot bot camper report spam going on. 

Trying to get into key positions won't help anyone but the enemy team because they will only have an easier time getting you because you just isolated yourself. 

Edited by Enforcer1975, 05 July 2018 - 10:16 PM.

250swb #8 Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:22 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 22676 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Well there are the games when you desert the flank for tactical reasons, but don't then blame anybody else if they then also do the same thing and the flank is left undefended, you started it. But it's down to what plan you have next, and if you didn't have one other than running away then you are the scumbag deserter, but if you go on to get a High Calibre and a Top Gun then you are a hero for engaging full speed reverse.

Browarszky #9 Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:50 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16096 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L
Assuming you have a choice. Sometimes the situation is over sooner than you even realize. Sustained dps is what would make most sense. It often but not always is the key to winning a battle. Sometimes a player can delay one or more enemy tanks which will then prove to be crucial as long as their team mates can capitalize on that. The player will not get much damage, fame, nor credits, though.

Enforcer1975 #10 Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20760 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post250swb, on 05 July 2018 - 10:22 PM, said:

Well there are the games when you desert the flank for tactical reasons, but don't then blame anybody else if they then also do the same thing and the flank is left undefended, you started it. But it's down to what plan you have next, and if you didn't have one other than running away then you are the scumbag deserter, but if you go on to get a High Calibre and a Top Gun then you are a hero for engaging full speed reverse.

Oh yeah like in this game....?

My team precautionally deserted a flank because they had no tactical reasoning....i was too occupied to even see how much damage i did and what the teams were actually doing. I only realized i had some allied tanks with me after they were swarming me left and right. I have too many games like this lately. They don't take key positions and they are too afraid to take a hit but happily waste half their health to kill a oneshot and they can't even manage to get the kill. 

http://wotreplays.eu...75-m48a5_patton

Edited by Enforcer1975, 06 July 2018 - 12:43 PM.

NoobySkooby #11 Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:53 PM

Major

• Player
  • 13187 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View PostFlavortown, on 05 July 2018 - 10:03 PM, said:

Tooning is the only real teamplay, solo or toon 'hang back a few second to see where all the idiots go,' as my old clan leader used to say.

As for map pingers sometime out of sheer frustration I ping like a demon, (also at this point I am ready to punch walls:D) I know I shouldn't and that I should be relaxed and calm, but by this time my patience is lost with some of the dumb moves i see people do, and by the way that is in ALL tiers, even the top tier 10, so usually at this point to calm myself down i go play arty, works wonders too:trollface:

Vajsravana #12 Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32827 battles

But if you win, all your team wins with you.

So, as long as whatever you do is aimed to win, you can't be selfish.

Knight_Zao #13 Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:56 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29136 battles

You are playing with 14 other people you dont know, so "should you be selfish", i would say thats the wrong term, i would say the term should be, "should you be smart". Lets take the flank example, if you go to a flank and you see they out number you significantly a question enters your head - should i stay and hold with a team mate and probably just die then scream at the team, or should you tell the team mate to fall back and run like hell. I would say running like hell is "smart" not "selfish". 

Like i say you are playing with 14 other guys who you dont know, so play for yourself, the only time i would play for team mates is when you can help them change the course of the game.

Dr_ownape #14 Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:03 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 43508 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

Play to win. If that means taking one for a team mate in distress to aid winning then yes.

me in 50B, Emil 2 and WZ TD thingy on Mountain pass (jesus had it about 9 times in the last two days). I was nearly full and pushed into a E4, progetto and WZ med to take the shots off all 3 and unload my clip. then the Emil 2 could go unload on the E4 without worry of getting wrecked.

However if a flank is clealy lost and i can escape to do more damage elsewhere, then damn right i''m going to run and be selfish

Lord_Barbarozza #15 Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:09 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6548 battles

Had a nice battle yesterday on Redshire, did what I could then got destroyed, we had a Skorpion G and a Panther II left against 3 lowhealth enemy heavies, the enemy went straight to cap.

Guess what our tanks did? instead of using camo and the Panther was full hp so he could take a few hits if he got spotted.

Panther went to cap alone against 3 enemy cappers, then decided to try decap our base when it was too late. THE SKORPION G WENT HALF WAY AROUND THE MAP TO CHASE THE ENEMY ARTY TO GET THOSE 350 HP OF DAMAGE INSTEAD OF TRYING TO GET 1000 HP OF DAMAGE ONESHOTTING THE ENEMY TANKS.

Being selfish is just wrong, unless you do something selfish which will benefit the team in the end by your survival.

ThinGun #16 Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35051 battles
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO
Selfish = high WN8, Selfless = high WR.  Maybe?

Erwin_Von_Braun #17 Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:36 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 38254 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 05 July 2018 - 08:40 PM, said:

Agree entirely.

ThinGun #18 Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35051 battles
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO
"Dying for honour" . - that's brilliant.  An epic justification for abusing a player, up there with "coward" or "camping noobs" when directed at those who considered it strategic to defend rather than go YOLOing into the enemy base.

signal11th #19 Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:47 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 37160 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL
Unfortunately because of the way the game works more often than not being selfish is usually the better play.

signal11th #20 Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:49 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 37160 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

View PostThinGun, on 06 July 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

"Dying for honour" . - that's brilliant.  An epic justification for abusing a player, up there with "coward" or "camping noobs" when directed at those who considered it strategic to defend rather than go YOLOing into the enemy base.

I can honestly say what in 33k games "strategic camping" as you call it maybe wins one game out of ten if that.

Edited by signal11th, 06 July 2018 - 01:49 PM.

Also tagged with selfish, play style, rewards

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users