heavy tank maus super heavy tank

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

scoprion_tank #1 Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:40 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9636 battles
  • [ZIRVE] ZIRVE

I have had a lot of games with my maus but I always had and still have the same issues with the tank. ( ı am not a very good player xd)

1-My armor is 60 % irrelevent due to 300mm+ pen with HEAT and gold APCR (fells like a wt game more then a wot). the other 40% is TDs and people that flanked me (or just type 5 HE).

2-I am too slow to change flanks when a flank gets left empty or when you need to catch up or run away. I know it is supposed to be slow but unlike having bad pen or armor this puts you out of the game and you are likely to be spotted by other tanks while changing flanks which doesnt end well for you

3-i cant shoot people with out them dealing damage to me and when i angle i cant shoot back in time since 18 degree/s turret traverse isnt good enough to catch those russian meds that keep shoot HEAT at me before they retreat to their place with their 340mm+ turret armor

4-I am a exp pool fo teir 10 TDS that have 300mm+ armor with weakspots so tiny and hard to hit (mainly russian and american + jage100), I just get the 3rd problem again. they deal 750 damage to me and I deal 490. Its not a good trade

5-I cant damage jap heavy type 5 with out using gold or flanking.The weakspot that is the cupola is stronger then my lower plate and rounded. I also find my self in close proximity with type 5 a lot. So far, I have used HE which works on maus or other enemy tanks (especialy on maus if you hit the turrent ring). but its not effective against type 5's 280mm turret

Half of my problems lie with the pen of the 128cm. I know this is a balancing feature of this tank (until u press 2 ). but I cant tell you have bad it is to drive to a skirmish spot for 3 mints just to get there and realize you cant pen anything.

if you know how to get around these problems, I would really appreciate if you shared it with me 

thanks.:)

Solstad1069 #2 Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:54 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 41019 battles

When you play MAUS shoot only gold, because they deserve it. Then when you reload dont look at the enemy, turn your turret/angel it.

Its the only thing you can do, or just dont play it, tier 10 is not a very healthy environment. 

And dont play grand battles, only regular so you have a chance to avoid lots of tier 10 tanks, then abuse tier 9s and 8s.

This time you also shoot premium ammo and just feel dirty.

Edited by Solstad1069, 05 July 2018 - 09:57 PM.

Flavortown #3 Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:59 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16158 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

Angle and think before you give them flat armor to shoot at.

Also dont bother shooting ap at anything from the jap heavy line, 99% of the time they have he loaded so you need to pen them without aiming for weakspots if you want to have any chance against them.

Argedeava #4 Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:46 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30589 battles
  • [GN-R] GN-R

View Postscoprion_tank, on 05 July 2018 - 09:40 PM, said:

I have had a lot of games with my maus but I always had and still have the same issues with the tank. ( ı am not a very good player xd)

if you know how to get around these problems, I would really appreciate if you shared it with me 

thanks.:)

It works as you said becouse is intended to work like that to force you to use gold and force others to do the same.

If you want to win more often cheaper the way arround leads to other tanks, mainly mediums with "no-names" (unlike the Maus or TIger witch are victims of their popularity).

Suurpolskija #5 Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:15 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18692 battles
  • [URHO] URHO

Yeah, tier x is currently pretty much shoot gold or gtfo. 

Tried it, didn't like it. But I guess it's good if I need to do some of those missions that require large HP pool, but wouldn't play it for fun. 

Mimos_A #6 Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:30 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24177 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L
You have a 57% winrate and 145 steel wall medals in it. I'm prettty sure you're just fine.

arthurwellsley #7 Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:39 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 51767 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

1. - Armour - Maus armour is still very effective. The LFP weakspot has to be hidden granted. In addition the turret cheeks are an issue, so when the hull is angled correctly, and after shooting and during reloading it is necessary to twist the turret in the correct direction.

2. - If it was not slow, then it would be too powerful. You just need to judge where you are going to take it, and if a lemming train is moving elsewhere retreat.

3. - Tier X RASHA meds are the most powerful vehicles on any tier X battlefield, you choose a Maus and not RASHA.

4. - TD's. Do not trade with them. Bait them to fire first while angling, then shoot them.

5. - Type 5's are a geniune problem. They do low alpha but consistently, and have a very long reload. You need to shoot premium shells to overcome their armour, and you must hit them while they are still on reload. Your only option is the 2 key due to their lack of weak spots.

UrQuan #8 Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:08 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 19467 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

1-My armor is 60 % irrelevent due to 300mm+ pen with HEAT and gold APCR (fells like a wt game more then a wot). the other 40% is TDs and people that flanked me (or just type 5 HE).

On this: Angle the tank: Maus should be able to bounce 300mm pen reliably. Always wiggle turret a bit too, for the turret-cheeks. Hide LFP. Maus can bounce even higher pen rather well, but then you need to pay attention at what part of the Maus they're aiming/shooting & angle that part accordingly. Maus is very sturdy, even against premium ammo. If you cannot bounce/absorb a good portion of the premium ammo shot at you, you got to get better at angling armor & shell mechanics.

Know what you face: facing TX TD's requires caution, because Tank destroyers are made to destroy tanks (it is in their name!), so don't face them openly. Make use of cover, tease them in shooting highly angled side armor before you pop out.

Facing a type 5 is always going to be nasty. Load the premium ammo, else you can't win it. Maus has DPM advantage over Type 5, but that requires every shot to be a pen & still needs some luck on your side.

2-I am too slow to change flanks when a flank gets left empty or when you need to catch up or run away. I know it is supposed to be slow but unlike having bad pen or armor this puts you out of the game and you are likely to be spotted by other tanks while changing flanks which doesnt end well for you

Maus is indeed slow, very slow, so always go to the side that offers you the opportunities to play your slow, armored tank. Changing flanks is really out the question with the Maus. Go to the places where your team really benefits from having a damage/absorober (Karelia valley, Steppes rocks, Ruinberg city etc). If you got superior numbers at your flank, you must try & push forward, taking the flank for your team. If you're outnumbered, you're the one responsible for holding the enemy at bay for as long as you can.

Pay attention to where your teammates are, no use pushing if they decide redlining is the best thing ever. But if your teammates are around you, push/tank shots, so your allies can shoot back at the enemy with impunity.

Don't over-extend; a lone Maus is a dead Maus. Always make sure there's someone coevring your tank, either from distance, by being with you or by spotting things for you (so you can react timely on the enemy)

The Maus slowness does mean that whatever flank you're at, you are committed to it, for better or worse. No funny business like changing flanks or retreating. The Maus is designed to stand & fight, till victory or death.

3-i cant shoot people with out them dealing damage to me and when i angle i cant shoot back in time since 18 degree/s turret traverse isnt good enough to catch those russian meds that keep shoot HEAT at me before they retreat to their place with their 340mm+ turret armor

This is indeed an issue with the Maus, you got to decide between tanking damage & dealing it. In the early game, tanking the damage is the better option. So angle the turret whenever someone tries shooting you, save that HP.

In the late game, you're a steel brick with 3K HP, an outright nightmare to fight for anyone left in the endgame.

Also, a Maus is horrible against most meds, as medium tanks are just too mobile. So don't try & fight meds on their terms. Make them fight on your terms (streets, alleys, etc). Don't chase meds, it's what they want, stay put in your city-grid/rocky place & shoot them when they try & coax you out of it.

And yus, some meds got some ridiculous turret armor, hence don't ever fight them in hilly terrain. Go to flat terrain, so you can shoot their hulls.

But generally, when fighting enemy meds, act as bait, be the 'easy target' so your allies can shoot/engage the meds better. hence: NEVER go alone against a med or light tank, or anything with mobility when driving a Maus.

4-I am a exp pool fo teir 10 TDS that have 300mm+ armor with weakspots so tiny and hard to hit (mainly russian and american + jage100), I just get the 3rd problem again. they deal 750 damage to me and I deal 490. Its not a good trade

Don't engage TX TD's directly. They are the counter to armored tanks. Make use of cover, try & tease them to shoot your angled armor. Don't trade with them, they'll often win out. Make them shoot you in vain, then respond in kind. Armored TD's are troublesome, but so is your Maus to them when you pay attention to your environment, armor angles & their gun.

Remember, you're not alone (if you are, you already made mistakes prior to engaging those TD's)

Against casemate TD's you can't pen: track them, they hate that. Sure, they'll repair, but that means they just had to use a repairkit, bonus for you.

5-I cant damage jap heavy type 5 with out using gold or flanking.The weakspot that is the cupola is stronger then my lower plate and rounded. I also find my self in close proximity with type 5 a lot. So far, I have used HE which works on maus or other enemy tanks (especialy on maus if you hit the turrent ring). but its not effective against type 5's 280mm turret

Type 5 is outright nasty to fight, no discussion there. Load the premium ammo, because else you will die. he damages you every time he shoots, you can't, unless you use prem ammo. Flanking or other smart stuff doesn't' work, because Maus is slow (unless type 5 is dumb).

Don't shoot the cupola, the angles on it + the height make it stronger then the front armor of the Type 5. Best place to shoot a Type 5 (outside the side armor obviously) is the front upper plate. the visor thing has a slab of weaker armor (still needs prem ammo for decent pen) & the machinegun port also has a weaker armor plate (slightly stronger then visor plate).

You'll always have trouble dealing with a Type 5, because of that big caliber HE gun. But best damage him as much as you can, as your Maus is one of the few tanks that can survive multiple Type 5 HE hits. Try to let him thick parts of your armor (hull/turret front) or tracks for minimal damage. 

PS: for fun HE usage, fire it at a TX swedish TD to make him run. Its armor profile makes it weak against HE (but strong against AP/APCR/HEAT)

Puny tanks, trying to scratch the Mighty Maus!

I personally enjoy the Maus, it's a big slow steel brick, able to take a big pounding before it dies. It can win games/flanks by simply being too tough to die. But as noted, armor is not a simple matter of 'I have armor, now you can't hurt me!' Doesn't work like that. Still got to make it work, by angling & checking what you fight, so have a small armor guide:

Armored tanks got their value & are still formidable beasts to fight, even when pitted against tanks with prem ammo loaded/high pen tanks (surprise, some tanks have high standard pen on their ammo). The trick is, just as with anything else, using your armor skillfully. Yes prem ammo reduces armor advantage, but it does not nullify it.

Yes, armor, like many things needs skill to use well. Drive into a bunch of enemies with your Maus & expect armor to save you is not gonna work. Angle up, take smart decisions & let them spend their credits on your beastly tank.

Armor does NOT exist to make people immune to damage. Such approach is bad for the game. Armor exists to make you more resistant to damage, so that the gun with 220mm pen (T8 ballpark pen, some have less, some have more) has trouble penning you, not that you are impossible to be damaged by it.

Proper armor usage follows these guidelines:

- Don't get hit: No matter what you drive, this is paramount. Don't get hit when you don't need to.

- Bait shots: Peek out some tough piece of armor, you'd be surprised how many people take shots at it. Once done, roll out that gun & answer in kind!

- Angle up: When you have to expose yourself to hostile fire: maximize your armor; it reduces the hurt greatly (notice, I said 'reduce' not 'immunize;)

- Don't do bad trades! If there's a ton of tanks aiming at you & not tricked by your baiting, don't try & shoot for 400 damage when you can get 1000 damage in return. 

- Know your enemy guns: An IS-6 has no hope penning you if you play your KV-4/VK 100 properly, while that Borsig will remain a serious issue when he's aimed at you & waiting for you to come out.

- Don't tease the Deathstars (Jagpanzer E-100 & British FV TD's) No really, don't do it. It's not worth it

- Don't go alone: Way too many people think their heavy armor tank is a solo pwn machine. Nope it is not: bring friends/teammates. make sure you got support in back. When you do: it's rocking time. When you don't? Go defensive, punish the enemy for even thinking to approach you. You want a solo pwn machine? Get IS-3 or any other generalist tank & get good at the game. Armored tanks are not it (But WG sure as hell tries lately, not a good evolution imo). 

Way too few people do this & just end up dead with barely any damage blocked in their armored tank. Then complain armor is useless. Then we end up with tanks like Maus & jap heavies because people want armored tanks without the skill to use them. Then act shocked when nobody wants to fight these tanks, resulting in some very dumb team deployments (because no-one likes to be Type 5 food, or plant shell after shell in a Maus for 0 effect)

You want a tank that can hold of enemy armies while blasting your way to the top? Get an armored tank, learn how to use said armor. Learn the pen mechanics of every type of shell & use/abuse that. Learn which situations work & which don't. Look at team compositions & act accordingly. 

And when you do? Start rocking. Take control of your lane, either by holding it, or by pushing it. Deny the enemy passage/control. Do that and you already pushed up your winchances greatly in your armored tank.

Armored tanks exist to take control over a lane/corridor/contested area. Mobile tanks exist to exert control over the wider map. Choose wisely which concept you like more. Any tank that combines heavy armor with mobility will be OP because it will be able to exert control over a wider map & dominate in the area/ corridor / lane that needs it the most.

Edit: I notice you do well in the Maus (as someone pointed out above) so seems you do the right things already, so above advice could be a bit redundant. 57% WR in a TX tank is high & shows you play the tank well.

My Maus got a rock, a TD to support me & an enemy flank to stop: Bring it on!

Edited by UrQuan, 06 July 2018 - 10:32 AM.

Rati_Festa #9 Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:16 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42880 battles

Im no expert at heavies but im competent, the Maus I think is a bit of anomaly as its so freakishly tough.

I have found loading HE and spamming it at enemies tracks/lower plates quite effective when you have allies nearby. This sounds a bad use of a powerful tank but if u dont have to aim as u are using he u dont expose your weak turret cheeks.

You dont do much pure dmg but u get plenty of assists and more importantly wins.

The Maus is the ultimate spoiler tank if u can block ur flank and snare up 3-4 opponents then the rest of your team mathematically have more chance of a win.

Also arty... install spall liner and bait them to shoot, I have found some arty cant even pen my maus or do minimal dmg. If they are focusing you and only scratching the paint work, then they arent slaughtering your lights and meds. Again this will increase your wr as your team can get on with winning the battle while u take a pounding.

It takes time to adjust to that playing style but once learnt you can be a very effective player.

Edited by Rati_Festa, 06 July 2018 - 11:21 AM.

Simeon85 #10 Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:45 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 1097 battles

View PostMimos_A, on 06 July 2018 - 08:30 AM, said:

You have a 57% winrate and 145 steel wall medals in it. I'm prettty sure you're just fine.

This, OP's WR and WN8 in the tank are quite a bit higher than his overalls. I am not sure his issues are specific to the Maus but probably in his general overall play. 

View Postarthurwellsley, on 06 July 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

3. - Tier X RASHA meds are the most powerful vehicles on any tier X battlefield, you choose a Maus and not RASHA.

430U yes, 907 maybe but this doesn't apply to the T-62A, Obj. 140 and K-91, they are not that strong in the current meta. 

Still solid all round tanks, but can't compete with the Bobjects, Type 5s, 5As, 430Us etc. 

A Maus is generally a better choice for most players than a Russia med in the current meta because armour, hit points, and alpha. 

2-I am too slow to change flanks when a flank gets left empty or when you need to catch up or run away. I know it is supposed to be slow but unlike having bad pen or armor this puts you out of the game and you are likely to be spotted by other tanks while changing flanks which doesnt end well for you

One thing with the Maus being slow is everyone else on your team should get somewhere way before you and you should know early where the enemies have gone. So just go where most of the tanks are gone and you shouldn't need to change flanks.

Generally I am not a fan of the 'heavy tanks go here' mentality people have but for the Maus it's probably solid because a Maus basically wants to try to roadblock the strongest enemy push, so go where you expect most tanks to go, hold them up and sell your life dearly. 

Maus is basically Hodor, you block the line for as long as possible to allow your other tanks to sweep and win the game. 

Edited by Simeon85, 06 July 2018 - 11:50 AM.

Dorander #11 Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:58 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18192 battles

1) You can bounce most of those shells if you hide your LFP, and still bounce a fair number even with your LFP showing. Hide your LFP when you can. Overangle your body a little bit, players have a tendency to aim for your LFP over your Maus' side even if your side is overexposed a little. Angle your turret a little more when you're not firing, your turret cheeks are pretty heat-susceptible, even at short range. Even as a tough tank, don't just blunder into situations where you're getting shot by multiple enemies, even as a slow Maus you can wiggle a little and make your weakspots exposure less predictable.

2) Yup, this is a thing. Battles sometimes get so onesided, by the time you arrive the battle's almost over there. Can't do much about that, if you don't like it, don't play a Maus. I just pick the typical heavy spot for most maps, on the rest I just go to the most important flank (especially if they're unlikely to expect a Maus there).

3) Don't engage Russian meds on their terms then. Most people have problems with Russian HEAT-spamming meds that expose nothing but their turret, this is not Maus-unique. Frequently when you find yourself in this position, especially if that person smacks your turret cheek with a HEAT shell and immediately withdraws you know you're facing a decent player. Don't face decent players purely on their terms. Wiggle your turret in his direction and traverse back to bait shots. Change targets if possible. Push through his cover if you can (beware of snipers) so you can hit the hull instead of just the turret. And in a worst case scenario: accept that the best you can currently do is neutralize one dangerous vehicle, because as long as that player is focusing on you, he's not murdering the rest of your team. Good players will want to keep their gun in the game, so if you don't present a target, they'll look elsewhere, when they do, put a shell in their body.

4) Straight up trading with tier X TDs is never a good idea, even though you're probably driving the only tank that can bounce JgPzE100 shells (including goldshells) if it doesn't hit a straight-up weakspot. The Bobject 268v4 is an entirely different category problem of its own, and HESH-firing FVs are flat out dangerous, usually I am happy if they fire at my Maus because they can oneshot lighter tank types, and they have to expose themselves to shoot and they're not very armoured. However if you let yourself get locked down in a position where you're letting such a tank fire at you unpunished, reconsider your choices, or admit that you're screwed. Consider if you're pushing too hard (even as a Maus) and if you're not better off letting them come to you so they need to abandon their invulnerable position.

5) Type 5s are just bad for a Maus, you need gold, and to pen reliably you also should aim at the vertical strip of armour on its front. It may be expensive, but that repairbill is too. You can outtrade a Type 5 heavy in a straight-up fight, most Type 5s will pull back if you start penning them, which is bait most of the time. If you can safely get a second shot in, do it, then immediately pull back, the Type 5 heavy will come again when he's reloaded, pull back far enough for your own reload and you can trade shots around a 2:1 ratio. If you can't safely get a second shot off at the Type 5, just put it in someone else and pull back again, you can still trade the Type 5 Heavy 1:1 when he pushes forwards, if you aren't reloaded yet when he fires at you you will be usually able to fire at him before he pulls to safety. Also remember you don't need to soak everything just 'cause you're a Maus, the Type 5 Heavy just does straight-up damage to nearly anything, if you're bouncing shells for your teammates against other tanks don't worry if they heat a HE shell on your behalf once or twice, especially if they're full-health because of you.

NoobySkooby #12 Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:02 PM

Major

• Player
  • 13115 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View PostSolstad1069, on 05 July 2018 - 09:54 PM, said:

When you play MAUS shoot only gold, because they deserve it. Then when you reload dont look at the enemy, turn your turret/angel it.

Its the only thing you can do, or just dont play it, tier 10 is not a very healthy environment. 

And dont play grand battles, only regular so you have a chance to avoid lots of tier 10 tanks, then abuse tier 9s and 8s.

This time you also shoot premium ammo and just feel dirty.

Does the same theory come int play with the the VK,100.P

Renesco #13 Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:49 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 21319 battles
  • [SOBAD] SOBAD

Just press W and 2 and also have chocolate for your crew, being drunk helps also

regards: Maus pro

Dorander #14 Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:56 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18192 battles

View PostRenesco, on 06 July 2018 - 07:49 PM, said:

Just press W and 2 and also have chocolate for your crew, being drunk helps also

regards: Maus pro

I can verify that being drunk helps... if your goal is to tip your Maus over, the best part is half the enemy will still fail to penetrate your armour :P

Solstad1069 #15 Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:09 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 41019 battles

View PostNoobySkooby, on 06 July 2018 - 08:02 PM, said:

Does the same theory come int play with the the VK,100.P

Dont have the VK 100P, but the MAUS got 246 pen on normal rounds and its not enough unless you brawl with tier 8s.

Also tagged with heavy tank, maus, super heavy tank

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users