• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

War_Dwarf #1 Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:30 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9295 battles
  • [TTPB] TTPB

Hi,

do you guys have any tips for me regarding the M12?

I have a 94% crew (didn't want to waste 1200 gold for an arty crew), gun rammer, GLD, Cola. But for some reason it barely hits anything, and if it does it's mostly ~250ish damage against mediums, and let's not even start with the heavies (and yes I do let the gun fully aim and I am shooting at stationary targets).

I just don't get this machine (or most of the american arty I played so far), I really loved the german arties (at T9 currently). So is there something inherently different in their playstyles, or what is the problem?

Suurpolskija #2 Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:42 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18692 battles
  • [URHO] URHO

Afaik there's nothing really special about it except that it's rather different than the other americans: flat trajectory, narrow gun traverse and fast shell velocity. 

Don't make any assumptions before you have 100% crew and all modules. Imo it was all right to play it, while it's by far the weakest arty of that line. 

War_Dwarf #3 Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9295 battles
  • [TTPB] TTPB

View PostSuurpolskija, on 08 July 2018 - 02:42 PM, said:

Afaik there's nothing really special about it except that it's rather different than the other americans: flat trajectory, narrow gun traverse and fast shell velocity. 

Don't make any assumptions before you have 100% crew and all modules. Imo it was all right to play it, while it's by far the weakest arty of that line. 

Well, as I said, all I'm missing is 6% of the crew, I have everything else researched, equipped, etc. And only 6 missing percent in crew training shouldnt be the difference between a fun tank and one of the worst experiences I had playing any arty in this game so far, especially with all the added equipment.

Darth_Clicker #4 Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:18 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 52533 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

I don't play the m12 any differently than any other arty (except Bishop etc).  There are a few differences between the M12 and the GW Panther since that is an arty that you apparently liked.  The M12 has a faster shell velocity than the Panther:  490 m/sec vs 440 m/sec.  This means that the M12 has a flatter shell arc (trajectory) therefore it tends to hit the sides/front of the enemy tank more than the top...therefore the Panther may pen more and do more damage because of the thinner armor typically on the top of tanks as opposed to sides and especially the front.  The flatter trajectory also makes hitting targets over small hills etc more problematic with the M12.  I do not use Battle Assistant or the vanilla alternative arty view in such situations.  Paying attention to the shape of the aim circle in these situations is more important with the M12 than with other tier VII artys.  If the aim circle is oval with one side larger than the other in respect to the center point, then place your target between the center aim point and the smaller side. The illustration below was copied from http://wiki.wargamin...cs#Arcade_View   It may help you.

400px-Strategic_aiming_101.jpg

Both have 39mm of pen with the top guns, so that is equal.  The wider gun arc on the Panther (26° vs 14° ) gives it an advantage when re-aiming at another target or especially when aiming at a target moving perpendicular to you.  The Panther doesn't have to move the hull as often in such situations.

I actually have the exact same hit percentage in the GW Panther and M12:  38.57%.  I have 2940 battles in the GW Panther and 1444 in the M12.  And for reference, I have 2 MOE on each, so I am not the best around in either but I am not bad either.  My average damage per battle in the GW Panther is 1040 and 1034 for the M12.

Having said all of the above, I like the GW Panther much more than the M12.  Just remember, when you get to the M43 and M55 you will basically forget about the GW Tiger P and GW Tiger as the Americans are very good.

Edited by Darth_Clicker, 08 July 2018 - 03:31 PM.

Darth_Clicker #5 Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:23 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 52533 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View PostWar_Dwarf, on 08 July 2018 - 04:13 PM, said:

Well, as I said, all I'm missing is 6% of the crew, I have everything else researched, equipped, etc. And only 6 missing percent in crew training shouldnt be the difference between a fun tank and one of the worst experiences I had playing any arty in this game so far, especially with all the added equipment.

In my experience, I never judge an arty with less than 100% crew.  I think the 6% difference makes a noticeable difference.  If you dig through this forum, you will find a few posts from me where I state that I hate the M12 as well...lol.  I have it permanently in my garage now..but I sold it at least 3 times previously.  It is my second to least favorite tier VII after the British Crusader SP.  But yeah....don't judge until you have a 100% crew...but I don't think you will like it any better than you do now.  The GW Panther spoiled you....:trollface:

PhooBar #6 Posted 21 July 2018 - 04:48 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18404 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Nice brief on the M12, Darth.

I just wish I could skip grinding it and get straight to the 43 and 55.

Also tagged with M12, tips, help

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users