Jump to content


Could WoT work without silver?


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

slitth #1 Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:17 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 12128 battles
  • 1,043
  • Member since:
    06-23-2011

I was wondering does WoT even need the silver currency?

 

After all most of the silver cost could be removed or replace with XP or Bonds.

Repair bill. Could be removed without any real difference to the game mechanics.

Cost of "standard" ammunition. Could be removed without any real difference to the game mechanics.

Cost of "premium" ammunition. Could also be removed, if changed. Like you do not earn any XP when doing damage with "premium"

Equipment. Could be changed to a mix of XP and Bonds. (Perhaps only accessible with free XP)

Consumable could also be changed to a mix of XP and Bonds.

 

Now if this is done right this would simplify the game and have the same grind so WG can earn the same amount of money.

 

So why not make it so? Well for 2 really good reasons.

Simplification does not mean that the game will improve. In this case the game play will probably remain the same. So it would be a waste of time and effort for WG to make this change.

The other reason is psychology, having more things to grind instead of one big thing make it seem less of a task. So removing silver will probably make the grind seem worse.

 

 



Geno1isme #2 Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:35 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 44084 battles
  • 8,528
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT
  • Member since:
    09-03-2013

View Postslitth, on 10 July 2018 - 02:17 PM, said:

Now if this is done right this would simplify the game and have the same grind so WG can earn the same amount of money.

 

What would be the simplification? How would WG earn money in this new ecosystem? Sorry, but this sounds pretty stupid to begin with.

 

Also the currency is called "credits", not "silver".



repapa #3 Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:36 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 3749 battles
  • 287
  • Member since:
    11-29-2012

You likely don't follow mainstream design (un)logic tendencies.

A bonzoo publishes that MMOs optimum point of "whatever fk" is having 4 currencies in game. He presents that in a peep voice with presentations and "hard" evidence.

Suddenly there appear four currencies in virtually all "AAA" Online Zoos.

Example: silver, gold, bonds, premium days+boosters. Result: The game is "op"timized and players milking point is on the sweet spot.

Now multiply that by many of those papers and you get close to the truth.

 

Of course next day may appear some "hard" evidence showing something else, like advantages of a dual currency system. Spinning wheels need grease.

 


Edited by repapa, 10 July 2018 - 01:37 PM.


Hedgehog1963 #4 Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:06 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 51619 battles
  • 7,633
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY
  • Member since:
    04-26-2011

View Postslitth, on 10 July 2018 - 12:17 PM, said:

 

Repair bill. Could be removed without any real difference to the game mechanics.

 

 

 

 

You don't even begin to comprehend how monetisation of WoT works.

slitth #5 Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:12 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 12128 battles
  • 1,043
  • Member since:
    06-23-2011

View PostGeno1isme, on 10 July 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

 

What would be the simplification? How would WG earn money in this new ecosystem? Sorry, but this sounds pretty stupid to begin with.

 

Also the currency is called "credits", not "silver".

 

Well you will have to farm more XP, so a premium account would be a good thing to have.

Premium tanks earn more XP.

Converting XP into free XP will be a thing.

 

Because you need as much XP a possible as fast a possible, any and all booster to XP becomes valuable.

And is a simplification because you do not need to maintain your current tanks, but can focus entirely on improving them or moving on.

 

But the cost is a negative psychology impact. When you only focus on the XP you need to grind, you can quickly be discouraged from playing.

That why its smart of WG to have more that one currency to focus on, because it seem that you are getting more, because you are getting 2 things at the same time.

 

View PostHedgehog1963, on 10 July 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

 

You don't even begin to comprehend how monetisation of WoT works.

 

Ohh please, Repair bill has little to no impact on economy.

It's the ammunition and consumable cost that keep the economy going.

If they really want to make the Repair bill have an impact, just replace it with a 50% ammunition lost when the tank is destroyed.

 



Jigabachi #6 Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 17948 battles
  • 19,605
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-12-2011

They could also offer the whole content of the game for free - it wouldn't even change gameplay that much.

They could also gift me one million Euros.

The question is: Why would they do any of that?

 

You completely forgot the main reasons why they won't remove silver:

1. It just doesn't make any sense to remove it.

2. Money.


Edited by Jigabachi, 10 July 2018 - 03:13 PM.


Geno1isme #7 Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:28 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 44084 battles
  • 8,528
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT
  • Member since:
    09-03-2013

View Postslitth, on 10 July 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

Well you will have to farm more XP, so a premium account would be a good thing to have.

 

Premium account also helps you with earning credits, so nothing gained.

 

View Postslitth, on 10 July 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

Premium tanks earn more XP.

 

Wrong. They earn more Crew-XP, not Tank-XP.

 

View Postslitth, on 10 July 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

Converting XP into free XP will be a thing.

 

And now we run into the real issue: Credits are account-bound, XP are tank-bound. So unless you expect people to spend fortunes for converting free-XP you completely remove cross-financing (earning credits on tank A, spending them on tank B). How do you equip a new tank that has no XP earned yet? With Free-XP? Well, say goodbye to most F2P players.

What about accelerated crewtraining? If enabled a tank doesn't earn tank-XP so in your model could not be resupplied.

 

View Postslitth, on 10 July 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

And is a simplification because you do not need to maintain your current tanks, but can focus entirely on improving them or moving on.

 

What? I've no idea what you're trying to say here. Or maybe I do and just can't believe it ...



Xandania #8 Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:20 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 37492 battles
  • 1,108
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-
  • Member since:
    05-16-2013

So, I guess then everyone would grind up to tier 10 and play those exclusively because they do not have to pay the bills for repairs after an early death. And the lower tiers would possibly lose noticable amounts of players.

Credits do keep the tiers in balance and are one of the main attractions in prem tanks.

 

Not the best idea I've read here - certainly in the bottom corner ^^

 

Alas, though I'd support some xp-nerf to prem ammo (on top tier tanks) your proposal there could also mean pure gold games - I would do that instantly in the lower tiers where I just want to have a blast (and blast others).

Credits are as the game is atm a vital balancing factor.



Suurpolskija #9 Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:33 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 18698 battles
  • 1,642
  • [URHO] URHO
  • Member since:
    01-26-2016
First problem that comes to mind are the statpadders in their statpadding tanks. Well, you don't really need the exp or credits do you? So you could just spam 100% premium if you feel like it. Imagine the amount of Pz1c's just spitting would-be-dollars from their machine guns. 

Bordhaw #10 Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:28 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 12058 battles
  • 2,845
  • Member since:
    01-29-2017

View Postrepapa, on 10 July 2018 - 12:36 PM, said:

You likely don't follow mainstream design (un)logic tendencies.

A bonzoo publishes that MMOs optimum point of "whatever fk" is having 4 currencies in game. He presents that in a peep voice with presentations and "hard" evidence.

Suddenly there appear four currencies in virtually all "AAA" Online Zoos.

Example: silver, gold, bonds, premium days+boosters. Result: The game is "op"timized and players milking point is on the sweet spot.

Now multiply that by many of those papers and you get close to the truth.

 

Of course next day may appear some "hard" evidence showing something else, like advantages of a dual currency system. Spinning wheels need grease.

 

 

 



WindSplitter1 #11 Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:16 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 16646 battles
  • 2,577
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM
  • Member since:
    02-07-2016

View PostGeno1isme, on 10 July 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

 

Also the currency is called "credits", not "silver".

 

"Silver" is also recognized as "credits", like a nickname. Same as "gold ammo" is not so but it is "premium ammunition".

peekakilla #12 Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:11 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 11584 battles
  • 395
  • Member since:
    05-16-2016
ok.....i guess......that was.....something......and nothing at the same time  :unsure:

Mike_Mckay #13 Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:13 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 21429 battles
  • 1,554
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-
  • Member since:
    09-02-2015

View Postpeekakilla, on 11 July 2018 - 12:11 AM, said:

ok.....i guess......that was.....something......and nothing at the same time  :unsure:

 

nothming?




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users