• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Balc0ra #21 Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:58 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 65967 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostRittmeister39, on 11 July 2018 - 06:49 PM, said:

Is that garbage from WoT client or Aslain modpack?

If it was the client. I suspect we would have seen more than one topic about it. And if you use mod packs. Make sure it's from the real source, and not something an RU mod site uploaded that slammed a known name on it and tossed a few shady stuff in there. 

Nishi_Kinuyo #22 Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:13 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 7656 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostBalc0ra, on 12 July 2018 - 06:58 PM, said:

If it was the client. I suspect we would have seen more than one topic about it. And if you use mod packs. Make sure it's from the real source, and not something an RU mod site uploaded that slammed a known name on it and tossed a few shady stuff in there. 

You mean like this?

https://wgmods.net/46/

:trollface:

Quaksen #23 Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24212 battles
  • [KLKMP] KLKMP

View PostAslain, on 12 July 2018 - 06:37 PM, said:

The OP is installing mods that are not from my modpack, it was already sorted out by Quaksen with the OP in the PM's.

Can confirm that it was a mod that isn't from Aslain's modpack, but an additional mod added manually by the OP.

So it's not the WoT client either :)

Kozzy #24 Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:41 AM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

View PostKooallu, on 11 July 2018 - 05:52 PM, said:

more mods will fix the problem

That reminds me of this classic scene from Futurama:

r0f #25 Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:47 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6254 battles
  • [AFUNM] AFUNM

So mods are completely unsafe to use? Makes you think doesn't it? What if some bad person would make a bait mod, or a well used mod turns rogue ..... happy downloading! Better update that scanner!

Edited by r0f, 13 July 2018 - 08:48 AM.

lgfrbcsgo #26 Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 30209 battles
  • [MOTIV] MOTIV

View Postr0f, on 13 July 2018 - 08:47 AM, said:

So mods are completely unsafe to use? Makes you think doesn't it? What if some bad person would make a bait mod, or a well used mod turns rogue ..... happy downloading! Better update that scanner!

Yes, exactly my point. Most WoT mods are written in Python. Python allows you to easily inspect the source code of all its generated files. This allows people who can read the code to examine what the mod really does. However, most modders use tool called "PyOrion" to prevent people from reading their code. Makes you think what they are hiding... They will tell you that they are trying to protect their code from thieves who want rip off their mods.

I only install mods whose source code is open to the public. XVM is luckily one of them. Well, I haven't heard on a XVM rip off yet.

But, yeah, without at least some knowledge of programming, you are screwed. You could be installing all kinds of malicious mods.

EDIT: I also wouldn't necessarily trust any mod on the WG mods platform. I doubt they are screening the mods for malicious code. Mods on WG mods are just guaranteed to work and to be in line with the fair play policy.

Edited by lgfrbcsgo, 13 July 2018 - 10:23 AM.

spamhamstar #27 Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 64310 battles
  • [LLAY] LLAY

View Postlgfrbcsgo, on 13 July 2018 - 09:09 AM, said:

Yes, exactly my point. Most WoT mods are written in Python. Python allows you to easily inspect the source code of all its generated files. This allows people who can read the code to examine what the mod really does. However, most modders use tool called "PyOrion" to prevent people from reading their code. Makes you think what they are hiding... They will tell you that they are trying to protect their code from thieves who want rip off their mods.

I only install mods whose source code is open to the public. XVM is luckily one of them. Well, I haven't heard on a XVM rip off yet.

But, yeah, without at least some knowledge of programming, you are screwed. You could be installing all kinds of malicious mods.

You could be, but I've been using Aslains mod pack installer for over 4 years & have as yet never detected any addware, spyware of malware, despite regular scans.  I've also never encountered any problems like the OP described.  As Alain himself posted, whatever mod caused the problem, it didn't come from his mod pack.

lgfrbcsgo #28 Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:35 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 30209 battles
  • [MOTIV] MOTIV

View Postspamhamstar, on 13 July 2018 - 10:24 AM, said:

You could be, but I've been using Aslains mod pack installer for over 4 years & have as yet never detected any addware, spyware of malware, despite regular scans.  I've also never encountered any problems like the OP described.  As Alain himself posted, whatever mod caused the problem, it didn't come from his mod pack.

Aslain is a really nice and helpful guy and I completely trust him. However, I would not necessarily trust all the mods in his modpack. Some modders sometimes manage to sneak a malicious update of their mod into his modpack. Aslain is, however, usually really quick to remove these mods from his modpack.

This happens very rarely, but there is still some risk.

Edited by lgfrbcsgo, 13 July 2018 - 10:37 AM.

vixu #29 Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:43 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 42356 battles

lol.... why didn't I open this thread earlier :girl:

I highly suggest clean-reinsalling wot, doing full virus/malware scan of the computer and  changing WoT password.

spamhamstar #30 Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:55 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 64310 battles
  • [LLAY] LLAY

View Postlgfrbcsgo, on 13 July 2018 - 09:35 AM, said:

Aslain is a really nice and helpful guy and I completely trust him. However, I would not necessarily trust all the mods in his modpack. Some modders sometimes manage to sneak a malicious update of their mod into his modpack. Aslain is, however, usually really quick to remove these mods from his modpack.

This happens very rarely, but there is still some risk.

I fully agree, Aslain is providing mods from many 3rd parties & as you say there is an inherent risk involved with that.  However, as I said, I've never found anything dubious in over 4 years of using his mod pack & I do check regularly & actively.  I'm just not sure that he should be linked to this issue in anyway, when the OP has clearly installed something outwith his mod pack that has caused this problem.

I have more problems with windows update reactivating the touchpad on my laptop every time it updates.

lgfrbcsgo #31 Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:59 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 30209 battles
  • [MOTIV] MOTIV

View Postspamhamstar, on 13 July 2018 - 10:55 AM, said:

I fully agree, Aslain is providing mods from many 3rd parties & as you say there is an inherent risk involved with that.  However, as I said, I've never found anything dubious in over 4 years of using his mod pack & I do check regularly & actively.  I'm just not sure that he should be linked to this issue in anyway, when the OP has clearly installed something outwith his mod pack that has caused this problem.

I agree.

Slyspy #32 Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:27 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14194 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postlgfrbcsgo, on 13 July 2018 - 10:09 AM, said:

EDIT: I also wouldn't necessarily trust any mod on the WG mods platform. I doubt they are screening the mods for malicious code. Mods on WG mods are just guaranteed to work and to be in line with the fair play policy.

I don't believe that the mods on the official portal are even guaranteed to work, let alone be safe to install. They are merely officially vetted to clear the fair play policy. 

Rittmeister39 #33 Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:01 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9133 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

update:

I have figured out the source of the adware trojan: it was an ILLEGAL MOD that I installed after Aslain's modpack that sometimes finds enemy artillery location and puts a red dot at their location.

I have removed the mod.

Just don't ban me for being honest and give you the update.

lgfrbcsgo #34 Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 30209 battles
  • [MOTIV] MOTIV

View PostRittmeister39, on 13 July 2018 - 02:01 PM, said:

update:

I have figured out the source of the adware trojan: it was an ILLEGAL MOD that I installed after Aslain's modpack that sometimes finds enemy artillery location and puts a red dot at their location.

I have removed the mod.

I don't see why one would need a mod for this as there usually aren't many viable spots for arty on any given map anyways. Thanks for being honest though.

Rittmeister39 #35 Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:15 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9133 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

View Postlgfrbcsgo, on 13 July 2018 - 03:12 PM, said:

I don't see why one would need a mod for this as there usually aren't many viable spots for arty on any given map anyways. Thanks for being honest though.

being lazy I guess, but the trojan adware removes the convenience point entirely.

StinkyStonky #36 Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:39 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27772 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-

I installed a few things from ProMod and started getting these.

I've now removed all mods and so far no more occurrences.

Nishi_Kinuyo #37 Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:45 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 7656 battles
  • [GUP] GUP
Isn't such a mod against the Fair Play Policy? :rolleyes:

Dorander #38 Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:57 PM

Major

• Player
  • 17873 battles

View PostRittmeister39, on 13 July 2018 - 01:01 PM, said:

update:

I have removed the mod.

Beyond the spyware your account may have been flagged already if you launched the game with that mod installed.

I also wouldn't expect people to shed a tear if you were banned, your admission may have been honest but your intent was to cheat.

m1x_angelico #39 Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22295 battles
  • [-VETO] -VETO

View PostRittmeister39, on 13 July 2018 - 02:01 PM, said:

update:

I have removed the mod.

I may be rude again, but why do you need the dot for arty? Does it just make it more convenient?

I ask because you can very easily see where arty shot from, cause on every map there are usually 2 positions where arty will be 99% of the time.

I mean I can understand people using auto aim mod, but not this...

Also, please note that if WG detected this mod you may get banned even few weeks later in the ban wave.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users