A scrubs guide/tutorial for ranked battles

Ranked battles guide tutorial Observer413 101 bitter salty

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Observer413 #1 Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:57 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 28725 battles

Hello there fellow masochists! I wanted to do such guide after the 1st season ended, however i never got to sit down and write one down

BUT!

It appears, that in two weeks we are getting another season of ranked battles, and oh boy what a joy, my PTSD from the last one hasn't even worn off yet. But im getting ahead of myself.

Q: Who are you?

A: Random nobody, that dislikes playing tier10 tanks, has hardly any experience in driving them, grinded out 4x tier10s(E100, IS7, Centurion, Leopard) that are outdated in current meta, but wanted to shake things up in own gaming experience, so took part in previous season, ending up with rank 12 in silver/2nd league.

Q: Who is the target audience of this guide?

A: People who haven't played this gamemode earlier(there were two beta seasons and 1st season in early spring this year), or the ones who failed to reach the 2nd leaugue, or people who have too much free time on their hands and are willing to read this wall of text i made in my free time.

I need to stress this out right now, before you proceed any further- this is NOT a pro guide on how to get rank 15 and above, and end up in gold/1st league. I am basing this guide on my own rather mediocre ingame achievments, reflecting on my shortcommings, judging the value of pretty much every tier10 tank not by my own experiences in driving them, but on the merit of how much troubles they caused me/my team to deal with said tanks. 

But as long as some gold leaguers don't make their own guides, this one is the best thing you got, amirite haters?

Q: So, what is it about?

A: You can read about ranked battles rules on WG site, its pretty easy concept to grasp once you start playing.

Q: Is it worth the hassle?

A: Tough question. If playing for couple(say, at least two)hours each day may negatively affect your real life career or family/social life, then by gawd, NO!

The rewards were rather meh last time: couple hundred/thousand of bonds here and there, some unappealing camo that doesnt change between map types(winter, summer, desert) and can be applied only on tier10 tanks, and a badge. It's also VERY costly endevour(this will be adressed in further questions). From what i saw, only change this time will be added gold.

But if you want a pile of bonds for the improved equipment, or some cosmetics for your tank/teamlist spot to show off later in the random battles, or you just hate yourself and having fun in general, then i say give it a try.

Q: Is it for everyone?

A: Not really. This mode takes tier10 games and turns every bad, unenjoyable, unfair, toxic aspect of them into overdrive.

Are you poor credits wise? Then your progress will be hindered, because you will lose a lot of creds on repairs, ammo, consumables(im thinking mostly about premium fire extings which are a must above tier8 IMO).

Do you have any tier10 tanks that are widely considered OP or "fitting the meta"(i'll write down my recommendations in further points)? If not, you are at serious disadvantage unless you are REALLY good at this game and can make any sh-t fly(lord knows, i couldn't).

Are you easily triggered whenever you get shot by "gold" round, and used to cry about it in the allchat when you could talk to enemy team, or like to PM people after battles to tell them they are gold noobs? If yes, then spare yourself a meltdown and stay away, because you will encounter this in every one of your matches and noone will change their ways just for the sake of your sanity.
Thing is, this is a gamemode of absolutes- absolute defences(sidescraping superheavy/spaced armor, hulldown autobounce turrets) vs absolute damage dealing capabilities(ammo with 300+ mm of penetration or huge HE/HESH shells that don't care about armor). It's worth bringing up the proverb: "if you find yourself in the fair fight, then it means you planned it wrong". You will find yourself in trouble, if you decide to take tanks lacking those tools for a spin. So you better prepare yourself properly, unless you wish to challenge yourself just for the sake of it.

Q: OK, so how i prepare myself for this mode? What is the step1?

A: Get yourself a proper tank. Generally speaking, you want REALLY good armor and REALLY good gun at the same time. High HP pool is also welcome. You need to deal damage and kill stuff to earn chevrons(or at least not lose them), and higher survivability will give you more time to do so.

God tier hall of fame honourable mention= Type5 heavy with derp gun throwing "gold" HE around. It's the definition of "low effort, high outcome" tank. It was a royal pain in the back to be dealt with, and its gun doesn't care about hulldown, sidescraping and whatnot. While i had to sit and spend centuries aiming for weakspots even with premium ammo in my E100/IS7, enemy Types had to just shoot me anywhere to deal damage to me(and we are talking about 400-500 damage with each shot, unless it hits you dead on the gun or track).

1st place= WZ-111 5A, Super Conqueror, Obj.430u, Obj.268 v4.

If you are familiar with those tanks then you know what's up. Strong turrets(you gotta love those 300mm thick cupolas of 430u), good guns with good penetration on premium ammo. If you find them on the flat ground then sure, you can do something about them, but once they get into hulldown positions you are boned.

Super Conq. and WZ especially were the reasons why i started to drive with 20 HE shells on my E-100. Technically you can snipe their cupolas, but unless you got a fancy turret yourself(unlike E100 or Maus) you will waste your time while eating their APCR/HEAT.

2nd place, crawling just after the 1st place= Batchat, Obj.140(907 if you got one), Maus, T110e5.

Batchat in good hands is always a welcome asset of the team, with its burst and mobility. Obj. 140 is good allrounder if you don't have 430u, with those HEAT shells you give your team a fighting chance against enemy super heavies. Maus is great moving blockade, giving your team a breathing space and "letting everyone do their thing". T110e5 was just good/annoying with its turret/gun depression/"gold shells" capabilities, defecating on the enemies with 340mm penetratiion HEAT while not really being vulnerable to them itself.

3rd place= IS7, E100, Grille, Amx13 105, T100LT, Kranvagn, Deathstar(FV183b), Sh*tbarn(FV4005 stage2), T110e3, T110e4.

Basically a whole lot of diffrent tanks, im going here by my memory, or in other words: those are the tanks that i remember encountering up beyond rank, oh i dont know, 5 or around that one(keeps this in mind, i will adress it in a while).

A good tanks, that either really suffer because of premium ammo spam(even in is7 i got the face of my turret penned by russian HEAT), or got good damage dealing potential but just die too fast once they are spotted.

I listed light tanks as well, since a "living" LT in last minutes of the match makes the game less of an arcade and more of a survival horror one, with some nasty jump scares for super heavy tanks/TDS "if you catch my drift". Plus on prokhorovka/malinovka a good LT is a godsend for obvious reasons(cough!e1spot!cough!). In capable hands, they could easily be listed in the "2nd place category", but otherwise are not such an obvious pick.

The food and memes tier= pretty much the rest.

I'm not saying, that everything else that's not listed above is trash, because when i was checking the top ranking players i saw all kind of tanks listed in their records, but it's the case i mentioned before that really good players can do well in every tank. However, those  "weaker" tanks while being shown in the records with some battle trophies, weren't their most played ones(the meta ones were, obviously).

Thing is, at the lowest ranks it felt like a renessaince of tier10 battles- everyone was driving everything! You had people in Centurions, Leopards, Strv103Bs, all sort of Frenchies, E50Ms, IS4s, Obj268(the old one). But as time went on, as i climbed the ranks i started to notice that those sightings became less common. What took place was pretty much the evolution process- only the fittest survived through dozen of unforgiving matches. That's why i have an audacity of talking about performance of the tanks that i have never driven myself.

Q: Oof, that was a long one. What's the step2?

A: Make sure you got a good stockpile of credits for the expenses- i would say 200k at any given time is an absolute minimum(you might need to play your credit earning tanks in between ranked matches), having 400+K credits would give you some breathing space.

Don't be cheap, don't try to save up on premium ammo, the enemy won't give you many occasions to target their pixel weakspot, that you probably already had only 50/50 chance of penning anyway. We are talking about probably about 1/3+ of ammo being premium shells.

Q: What's the step3?

A: Play some regular tier10 games in advance, as a warmup in your chosen tanks if you don't play tier10 often(like me, for example i played more ranked battles in my E100 than in regular random ones lol). Memorize where are the good spots for your tank on current maps, or how to deal with each tank that has been listed before(it's worth keeping in mind, that even for 128mm/130mm guns, a healthy dose of HE shells might be a valid choice of ammo in certain situations), try to remember roughly how long each one takes to reload its shot and so on. Don't avoid grand battles, i dislike them as well but believe me, ranked ones weren't nice either.

Well, that's all i can think of right now. I hope that you found this guide usefull or enjoyable.

Cheers and see you in game.

Edited by Observer413, 14 July 2018 - 04:20 AM.

PlasticArmour #2 Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:56 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 52860 battles
You forgot the bit about driving a long nail into your brain. That helps, they can curse,swear and ping all they want then. It doesn't matter.

gunslingerXXX #3 Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:41 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 11377 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

Nice text, enjoyed reading because I think I fit your target group :B. I typically play only 10 games or so ranked, just for fun. T110E5 is my only tier 10 and I'm surprized its high up your list. The cupola is really bad when fighting decent players, but the tank does seem to get a good xp calculation in the last ranked version.

GL & HF

Its more a Q&A though than a guide.

Dava_117 #4 Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:10 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20204 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I agree with your view of the gamemode. Still can't understand why they never use tier 9 for competitive gameplay like this. Or better, I understand why but it's just plain stupid.

Observer413 #5 Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:51 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 28725 battles

View PostgunslingerXXX, on 14 July 2018 - 09:41 AM, said:

T110E5 is my only tier 10 and I'm surprized its high up your list.

You know what they say, "the grass is always greener on the other side". I do often read opinions, that current E5 is weak because of that cupola, and i get that it probably means that it is not as good as i think it is, but i'm clearly missing the memo cause personally i do struggle with hulldown E5s when i play my E100/IS7.

View PostgunslingerXXX, on 14 July 2018 - 09:41 AM, said:

The cupola is really bad when fighting decent players

Oh so i see which memo i missed then, lol. :P

View PostDava_117, on 14 July 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

Still can't understand why they never use tier 9 for competitive gameplay like this. Or better, I understand why but it's just plain stupid.

Personally i consider that tier10 is overall poorly balanced and not fun at all, especially considering how much time and credit consuming it is(the long grind, expensive tanks, high upkeep costs). I also would love to see ranked battles taking place on tier8-9 instead of tier10, since IMO there aren't that many tanks on those tiers that are REALLY tough/annoying to deal with(lower tiers do get those, like t67 on tier5, cromwell/t34-85 spam on tier6, e25 on tier7). Going offtopic a bit here, the fact that recent Frontline mode was made on tier8(instead tier10 like on test server before) is a reason to give a small praise for WG.

Dava_117 #6 Posted 14 July 2018 - 01:04 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20204 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostObserver413, on 14 July 2018 - 12:51 PM, said:

You know what they say, "the grass is always greener on the other side". I do often read opinions, that current E5 is weak because of that cupola, and i get that it probably means that it is not as good as i think it is, but i'm clearly missing the memo cause personally i do struggle with hulldown E5s when i play my E100/IS7.

Oh so i see which memo i missed then, lol. :P

Personally i consider that tier10 is overall poorly balanced and not fun at all, especially considering how much time and credit consuming it is(the long grind, expensive tanks, high upkeep costs). I also would love to see ranked battles taking place on tier8-9 instead of tier10, since IMO there aren't that many tanks on those tiers that are REALLY tough/annoying to deal with(lower tiers do get those, like t67 on tier5, cromwell/t34-85 spam on tier6, e25 on tier7). Going offtopic a bit here, the fact that recent Frontline mode was made on tier8(instead tier10 like on test server before) is a reason to give a small praise for WG.

Exactly. I bought my first (and only) tier 10 for the first beta of ranked. Unfortunately is the IS-4, so I felt all the powercreep and I completely agree with your point. The fact that tier 10 is considered the "competitive tier" while having one of the worst balance in game is just plain stupid IM, especially if compared to tier 9, that is probably the most balanced tier in game.

Can't really see how WG can say they almost done with rebalancing tier 10 while there are few tanks that are good, a bit more that are meh at most and 90% that is completely powercrept. :facepalm:

Edited by Dava_117, 14 July 2018 - 01:05 PM.

Observer413 #7 Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:52 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 28725 battles

Well, there must be a good reason for those choices, probably a financial one. But well, there weren't this many seasons so far, so MAYBE WG will change things a bit along the road as the time passes by.

I recall how my friend who plays WoWS said, that ranked battles there were for couple of diffrent tiers(i think he said it was tier4 and 7), and we already had some changes to WoT that "came from WoWS", plus the frontline mode i mentioned before- on test server was for tier10, but on live one it was for tier8, so fingers crossed for future seasons of "rankeds".

Observer413 #8 Posted 06 September 2018 - 11:37 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 28725 battles

A short and late update on the matter.

During most recent season(the 2nd) i put my own advices from above into practice, and lo and behold!

Spoiler

Now, to level up this guide into a "how to get gold league", i'm willing to change the tank tiering, being a bit more experienced in the matter.

To put things into perspective:

During 1st season, i was using E-100(more appropriately called HEAT-100) and IS-7, and after 139 battles i got into rank 12.

During 2nd season, i was using Obj277 and Obj430U pretty much in 50/50 ratio, and after 110battle got into rank 15. Shame to admit it, but tried Bobject268v4 3 times initially and failed miserably with it(yup, i was unable to win a game with a tank that i considered OP).

Let's get down to business.

Type heavy remains as a hall of famer, no changes here.

Tier1- WZ-111 5A, Super Conqueror, Obj.430u, Obj277.

TLDR 277 is a really comfortable tank to play, highly recommend it.

I added 277 here, since from what it seems, its just a slightly "weaker" WZ with worse DPM, gun depression, aim time but at the same time better penetration on AP shell. I was surprised that i actually wasn't as reliant on premium ammo in 277, than i was in other tier10 tanks i used in ranked battles so far.

Also i dig its visual aesthetics, dont know why exactly. Rounded lower plate? Low profile on a heavy tank?

As a small tip on playing 277, i personally came to think about it as a fatter Leopard 1. If you are getting shot, then you are doing it wrong, but the difference here is that 277 will actually give you a consequence free pass now and then if you do actually get shot.

Tier2- Batchat, Obj907, Obj.140. (IS7? Sh*tbarn?)

Tier3- (IS7? Sh*tbarn?), E100, Grille, Amx13 105, T100LT, Kranvagn, Deathstar(FV183b), T110e5, T110e3, T110e4, Maus, Obj268v4, Patton.

A) That's right, i downgraded Bobject down to hell. It mostly has to do with fact, that now it actually has weakspots, which while are still relatively hard to hit from mid-long range, are currently way easier to pen for anything you meet, and this nerf to survivability makes its lowish DPM insufficient in the given enviroment, at least IMO.

Also i suck at playing it.

B) I downgraded E5 as well(with accordance to gunslingerXXX opinion from earlier), turns out that when you use tanks with guns that don't take ages to aim and have proper turret armor(so you got a fighting chance in hulldown shootouts), the HEAT spamming E5s become less of an issue and actually start to lose their HP steadily.

C) I added Patton, since i recall seing actually quite a bit of them even in higher ranks, so they clearly must have worked out for other people.

D) Maus is down here as well this time. I played only 1 game with it, and while it surely is a proper roadblock which won me that 1 game, i got to admit that i might have overestimated its ability to earn chevrons.

I had to chase some frags and damage in this thing to come up in top 10 on my team, and by gods, Maus and chasing do not belong in the same sentence or thought process of a sane person.

E) The enigma of a tank for me is, well, IS7.

Previously i put it on tier3, since i personally didn't have a blast playing it during season1,

BUT

even after i got into rank 13-15, i kept encountering a hefty amount of them. Moreover, checking the service records of other gold leaguers, i found out that other people actually "grinded" their additional rank points on this thing. As such, im willing to admit my own shortcomings, and hesitantly think about calling it a Tier2 choice(gun and DPM is bad, but that turret though).

F) Heed my words and fear the redline sniping Sh*tbarns on malinovka, prokhorovka, airfield, pretty much any big map with long shooting lanes.

Holy f*** my rectum was sore numerous times "thanks" to invisible big berthas that couldn't care less about my hulldown finesse. I actually befriended on such guy, who HESH penned my side on prokhorovka when i tried to be clever and spot enemies through the middle ridge. The fact that the gun of this magnitude can move around the map at reasonable pace took me by surprise a few times.

If i think anything else up, i will surely write it down, but i think those were the main points that came to my mind during this season.

Edited by Observer413, 06 September 2018 - 11:47 PM.

TungstenHitman #9 Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:02 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24083 battles

Thanks

I've never played ranked and I'm glad someone did an expansive overview of ranked(maybe was done before I don't know). You just confirmed what I would have expected from such a game mode. Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against it or those who play it, it's an option, if that's appealing for you, why not. 

For me, who can get pretty damn competitive and salty, I knew this game mode wasn't for me because it would just give me a heart condition and I didn't see the rewards worth the invested time, credits and stress. Let's be clear, this a game mode for the most competitive players so, if you're not willing to invest the money and credits to run your tier10 tank with a full gold layout(where needed) and run your tank with food and use the large repairs and medkits etc and in doing so, fall that little bit short of the rank you were hoping for, or get outplayed and fall short, or get an idiot teammate and fall short, or get RNG shafted, then have no complaints and probably don't play.. or you WILL  get angry like this guy. I think you will probably get angry no matter what anyway, being against so many good players and good tanks, rng and having to make a certain rank can only be a really salty sort of environment regardless.

Also tagged with Ranked battles, guide, tutorial, Observer413, 101, bitter, salty

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users