Advice needed on Matilda.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

j0kker_2014 #1 Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:40 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1394 battles
  • [RIDF] RIDF
Hello there, first to say i love heavy tanks, dont care if they're slow. So im curently playing with the Black Prince. But i enjoy the matilda very much also, so i was thinking, is it worth to buy the soviet tier V over the british one? Can someone please give an advice. Ty

General_McMuschi #2 Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21438 battles

Don't buy the Soviet tier 5 premium Matilda IV in any case.

This tank has gun that cannot even deal damage (it really lacks penetration).

It is weak, slow and has bad gun.

j0kker_2014 #3 Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:58 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1394 battles
  • [RIDF] RIDF
So its better if i stick with the british one ? :)

General_McMuschi #4 Posted 14 July 2018 - 01:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21438 battles

View Postj0kker_2014, on 14 July 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

So its better if i stick with the british one ? :)

No.

Matilda Black Prince has a little bit better gun, but has worse mobility and worse armor. It is the slowest medium tank in the game. It is so slow it makes you lose your mind. Why would anyone pay money to suffer like that?

It's bad at being a heavy too because it's armor is bad. 

Also, WG are currently selling an SPG with fast rate of fire which is going to break middle tiers for few months. Now is NOT the time to be buying premium Matildas.

wobblybob #5 Posted 14 July 2018 - 01:19 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 64925 battles
  • [TNAC] TNAC

Russian Matilda is an excellent little tank. It has very similar play style but doesn't have the reliable penetration the long John Tier IV gun has. It has PMM which mean you will only see up to tier VI, same as the Brit one.

WG policy is to remove PMM from tanks though so what this will mean for the tank is unknown. For this reason I would not recommend buying it as todays gem is tomorrows vomit on the pavement.

Headless_Rooster #6 Posted 14 July 2018 - 01:38 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9995 battles
  • [W-UNI] W-UNI

The teir IV Brit Matilda can be fun to play, I got the tier V Russian thiking it would be similar, it's not, half the time you can't pen anything, especially at distance since it loses too much pen at distance. Don't waste your money.

If you need a crew trainer for soviet meds get the tier VI T-34-85M or the tier VIII T44-100 which are definate 'keepers' and quite fun to play.

Xandania #7 Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35434 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-

The Matilda BP is not the slowest vehicle, that dubious honor goes to the TOG II with 13 km/h vs the MBPs 22 km/h.

Both premium Matildas in short:

a. being tier V - while the armor was/is good for tier IV it is alcking at tier V. Also it can only see tier 4 on the lower end and no longer tier 3 meaning it will be most often in tier 6 games instead of being top tier.

b. The gun on the MBP is good - pen, reload, precision while standing still is all great or good enough but might reload before you have fully aimed again leading to misses. On the other hand the russian Matilda has good alpha but the pen values are lacking - usually it is workable with knowledge of weak spots though - not as precise as the MBP though.

c. The speed, while not the slowest is a definite drawback - you choose where to go and you are not fast enough to fall back over even mediocre distances.

d. Some of the older and cheaper premium tanks which are (alongside CHurchill III) good crew trainers and also decent moneymakers.

If you want one or both of them, please do wait until they are on discount - and they are discounted quite often (not only on Valentines day)

nakkipeppu #8 Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:15 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 30685 battles
  • [LGGF] LGGF

Tier 5 Soviet Matilda IV is a solid tank, it's just a bit .. counterintuitive, and as such, requires experience to drive.

Everything about it says that it should be heavy tank, but you need to play it as a medium that's a bit slow to get there. Armor is decent against tier 5 mediums, it has 12 degrees of depression, and solid dpm, and double of the HP of the other meds. It absolutely murders something like a sherman one on one in close combat or ridge fights. Penetration is weak but enough, as long as you force your fights against meds. Camo and view range are solid for tier 5 as well. It's slow, but it's not unbearably slow and can get to places in time (unlike Matilda BP).

Problem is, if you go head to head with a tier 5 heavy, you will get trounced. Your worst possible MM is 5 x tier VI and 10 x tier V which it's capable of handling barring something like 5x OI for opposing team.

Matilda BP I just find to be too slow, and it has the same flat turret as Church III that bounces absolutely nothing. Gun is good, but can run out of ammo. I guess it takes some special kind of insanity to enjoy that tank (I mean, people play TOG II* as well).

Traditionally Matilda IV, Matilda BP and Valentine II have been on a -75% discount on Valentine's day, there's really no reason to not to buy them at that point, as you'll get 3 tanks for less than price of one then. But right now, buy something that's more easily approachable.

cellaman7 #9 Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:51 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33915 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I've had the standard British Matilda that I still use, The Matilda IV that i sold after a standard Matilda turned me into Swiss cheese but I kept the BP version. Yes it's slow but rate of fire, accuracy and armour make it a good tank for it's tier

Suurpolskija #10 Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:04 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18692 battles
  • [URHO] URHO

Matilda BP is alright for a bargain crew trainer for british medium tenks. It's slow, yes, but it's got pref MM, ok pen for most targets and nice premium shells when it needs them. I got it from some 10e bundle with 30d premium "for free" and I still play it from time to time. 

The standard tier4 'Tilly is great! Mount the peashooter with high pen and 50 alpha and you can dominate tier4 while still doing OK against higher tiers. This is the essential tank for my learning this game and I got fond memories playing it. Nowadays I feel kinda dirty playing it so I tend to do it less often. 

Gremlin182 #11 Posted 15 July 2018 - 12:21 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 46613 battles

View Postj0kker_2014, on 14 July 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

Hello there, first to say i love heavy tanks, dont care if they're slow. So im curently playing with the Black Prince. But i enjoy the matilda very much also, so i was thinking, is it worth to buy the soviet tier V over the british one? Can someone please give an advice. Ty

Matilda Black Prince or Matilda IV you mean that's the two premiums.

Both very slow both decent in this own way but the Matilda IV Russian tank has poor penetration with its standard rounds and its Premium.

Matilda Black prince is the better tank.

You would maybe consider the Russian version if you wanted to train Russian medium tank crews

mpf1959 #12 Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:20 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13472 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I love my Queen of the Desert British Matilda, I know nothing of the Soviet one, but my Matilda will not be sold.

General_McMuschi #13 Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:19 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21438 battles

OP is asking about two premium Matildas, not the tier 4 Matilda (which is better than both tier 5 ones). And he has 500 games. And some of you guys are recommending to him to buy British Matilda, even tho you all know the situation preferential tanks are currently in, even tho you all know it's raining hard on mid tiers now and will continue so for a while! 

How can you guys not feel bad for the guy? How can any of you experienced players advise him to buy any of the two Matildas?

I'm just trying to imagine someone with 500 games rolling out in his first premium tank and then 2 things will happen. With Matilda IV - he'll have to aim weakpoints and he probably doesn't know weakpoints so OP will be surprised when his "heavy tank armor" doesn't work and he dies with 0 damage. With Matilda Black Prince, OP will roll out and after driving for a couple of minutes - he'll get spotted and Lefes will shoot him, he won't even know what's hitting him most likely. Will make no credits and will have no fun and will have wasted money buying terrible premium tank.

OP, I'd advice you to not rush into buying any of the two premium Matildas and to rather save money for something else. If you like playstyle of Matilda, which you have mentioned, buy yourself a KV-1 which is a tier 5 standard Russian heavy tank - you can buy it for credits. And KV-1 is better in every way - more fun, has better armor, even mobility is better, more hitpoints, it's more forgiving to play, has a good gun, makes okay credits too even if it is not a premium tank.

P.S: I have all three Matildas that are in the game, tier 4 Matilda was the first tank I really fell in love with which made me purchase other 2 Matildas which were my first two premium tanks ever.

Tier 4 standard British Matilda - Excellent vehicle. That gun is so enjoyable. Love it.

Tier 5 Matilda Black Prince and Matilda IV - you have to be a masochist to play them. Which I am. lol. But wouldn't recommend that sort of attitude. :)

Edited by General_McMuschi, 15 July 2018 - 11:24 AM.

j0kker_2014 #14 Posted 15 July 2018 - 12:30 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1394 battles
  • [RIDF] RIDF
Ty all for the advices. :) will just keep the british one :) have a nice day :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users