• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Baldrickk #41 Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:54 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31970 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostNayonac, on 18 July 2018 - 01:10 PM, said:

So NA counts for nothing since this is EU same as no point looking at the Asia server either.

First one is number of games played, so that shows more game = more players right? however does it take into account other game modes such as the football? how many of the players were in those modes so not getting counted into the overall game count? 

Just showing a small graph means nothing unless you take it in context and have some actual figure to back it up 

second graph win rate vs date? 

What has that got to do with players, every game is a win or loss or a draw? 

So a graph more like this http://wot-ts.eu/wg_servers.php

where you can overlay the years on top of each other would make more sense, however i don't see any huge exodus of players as per the sky is falling claims i keep seeing on the forums, seems more like the water is slowly getting hotter and we can't feel that its going to boiling point

as for money only WG will know if they are losing out, unless you get to see the tax returns 

Well yeah, this is the EU server. Of course this is where we care about.

And unless something drastic has happened recently in the US, that server is nearly dead anyway.

Second graph shows global and recent stats for active players.

There are two reasons for it to drop - both due to the resulting playerbase being worse:

1. Huge influx of newbie/n00b players - as we saw, temporarily, during 100 years of the tank
  2. Good players stopping playing, as we've been seeing since the new MM.

Mr_Burrows #42 Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:28 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 47166 battles
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT

View PostZinomov, on 17 July 2018 - 06:10 PM, said:

you guys are talking about the MM but what truly breaks it are OP tanks and the heavy use of prem ammo

Heavy use of prem ammo is because of OP tanks. Just reintroduce proper and pennable frontal weakspots (I am not talking about the LFP on Bobject here)  and the use of prem ammo will go down. 

However, prem ammo in itself is not the culprit, and that needs to be clearly stated. Problem is low tier tanks meeting high tier tanks almost all the time. 3-5-7.

Prem ammo is the only ingredient in this soup that the low tier players can use to at least cause some harm to tanks 2 tiers higher. 

But ofc, working as intended WG style. 

Bordhaw #43 Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:50 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 13572 battles

View PostBaldrickk, on 18 July 2018 - 01:54 PM, said:

There are two reasons for it to drop - both due to the resulting playerbase being worse:

1. Huge influx of newbie/n00b players - as we saw, temporarily, during 100 years of the tank
  2. Good players stopping playing, as we've been seeing since the new MM.

Added to the recent patch that gives all new players a free Tier 6 tank of their choice for merely doing the bootcamp missions. 

Karasu_Hidesuke #44 Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:31 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16288 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L

View PostBordhaw, on 18 July 2018 - 06:50 PM, said:

Added to the recent patch that gives all new players a free Tier 6 tank of their choice for merely doing the bootcamp missions. 

I misread it...

Added to the recent patch that gives all noob players a free Tier 6 tank of their choice for merely doing the bootcamp missions.

:(

Baldrickk #45 Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:42 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31970 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostBordhaw, on 18 July 2018 - 07:50 PM, said:

That's not drawn in a lot of players though,  has it? most new players I've spoken to didn't even realise that that prize existed

Homer_J #46 Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:17 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31398 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 18 July 2018 - 01:13 PM, said:

Quite a few complained about their proposed fix before they implemented it.  Perhaps the solution would be to actually fix the matchmaker rather than totally [edited]it up.

I was one, great to be able to say "told you so" isn't it.

Still, what's your solution?  Mine is to go back to the one I was perfectly happy with.

CmdRatScabies #47 Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:51 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 38474 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostHomer_J, on 19 July 2018 - 07:17 AM, said:

I was one, great to be able to say "told you so" isn't it.

Still, what's your solution?  Mine is to go back to the one I was perfectly happy with.

I'd be happy with that too but I can't see WG swallowing that much pride in one go.

GuidotheItalianStallion #48 Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:19 PM

Private

• Player
  • 32244 battles

View PostTom6960, on 17 July 2018 - 11:00 AM, said:

Hi everyone!

Now there's been a shitload of posts mentioning wot's decline in player numbers bla bla bla we all know that, we all notice that : no need to start mentioning that again.

We also know why...at least there are issues in this game most people agree with like MM, and also some "hot" topics like arty, but yeah we know what people complain about in general.

So here's my point : why is WG not doing anything about some easy fixable and very obvious issues to...save their game (and thus their bank accounts)? It seems so bloody easy to fix those issues known by the whole community, why don't they do it? It won't be long before it's too late ; one of the only things that still really tie people to this game are clans. I've also seen graphs that show that the more experienced playerbase is leaving....Are we really supposed to count on new players and clans to keep this game alive? Come on WG, why don't you act?!

Thanks for reading if you did ^^, lemme know your opinions!

Tom

Well...I find it interesting to see how many people actually spend money on this crap! The games are rigged to try to get you to spend money. How many times do you hear "we didn't penetrate their armour" or "we didn't even scratch them?" This is total BS especially when you know you are shooting a far lesser tank. Why does this happen? Because it's probably your turn to die and/or lose.

Then, there's the issue of dedicated servers where WOT puts people to play nothing but bots! You can always tell because bots move quicker than normal and they can move their turret in lightening fashion. And...they always hit you no matter what!

Bottom line guys: it's all about how WOT can make money. Perhaps if we stop spending hard earned money on this crap, it will force WOT to hire some good developers who know how to rig (fix) games without being so obvious.

Edited by GuidotheItalianStallion, 21 July 2018 - 05:20 PM.

Procjon #49 Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:38 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 57995 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 17 July 2018 - 11:04 AM, said:

You think so?  Like what and how exactly?

Everyone complained about the matchmaker before they fixed it with 3-5-7 now everybody complains about the matchmaker.  What's your solution?

WG went too far with 3-5-7. Complaints were about skilled MM and bad distribution of type tanks, for example you would face scout vs heavy, arty vs med and etc.

WG fixed somehow the distribution so most of the time if you drive medium tank you will face an enemy with medium tank as well unless the queue takes ultra long.

WG should not introduced 3-5-7 but i guess a greed for money told them to speed up battles and 3-5-7 does it pretty well.

HF

Edited by Procjon, 21 July 2018 - 09:38 PM.

Homer_J #50 Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:22 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31398 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostProcjon, on 21 July 2018 - 09:38 PM, said:

scout vs heavy, arty vs med 

Rubbish.

Arty has been balanced between teams since closed beta.

Scouts have been balanced between teams since tier 5 lights first appeared.

The worst you had was when a medium would be matched against a lower tier heavy but that was removed long ago.

jabster #51 Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:27 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12649 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostHomer_J, on 22 July 2018 - 06:22 AM, said:

Rubbish.

Arty has been balanced between teams since closed beta.

Scouts have been balanced between teams since tier 5 lights first appeared.

The worst you had was when a medium would be matched against a lower tier heavy but that was removed long ago.

Not that it really matters but I’m pretty sure LT balancing was after tier V scouts. The reason is I remember games where the team was made of all higher tier tanks except me in the T-50-2 and some poor shumck as my opposite number.

Dr_Oolen #52 Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:31 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23298 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

Bois, the actual reason(s) why players are leaving the game is pretty much this:

- A - 10-15% of tanks on each tier are OP/broken af.

- B - 35-40% of tanks on each tier are "well balanced" and these tanks get in significant amount of situations shat on by tanks from group A, but with gold spam and skill these tanks are still competitive enough in some situations (those situations are what you create with said skill) with tanks from group A.

- C - 50% of tanks on each tier are so hopelessly bad that they get completely shat on by the A group in every possible situation or scenario and no amount of skill or gold spam will ever put you on the same footing. These tanks get in significant amount of situations shat on by tanks from group B, but with gold spam and skill these tanks are still competitive enough in some situations (those situations are what you create with said skill) with tanks from group B.

Tanks from group A get played 30% of the time.

Tanks from group B get played 50% of the time.

Tanks from group C get played 20% of the time.

Here comes MM.

If you play tanks A you get to completely crapon everything in all top tier games and get to crapon 70% of tanks in same tier games and are still useful in +1 games, but get mostly shat on in +2 games. Given the MM, depending on tier, you thus only really get to crapon everything in maybe 30% of the games, in 40% of the games you will be "balanced" and in 30% of games youll get shat on. This is the best case scenario. And even in that, given how the op/broken tanks are the most played ones, you still will end up having to spam gold 30-50% of the time (against same tier A tanks, +1 tier A and B tanks and virtually all tanks of +2 tiers).

If you play tanks B the only games where you are/feel useful without spamming gold are games where you play vs lower tiers and in same tier games. In +1 games you already have to spam gold against at least 50% of tanks to not be useless, and even with that gold spam you are still inherently at a disadvantage in pretty much all situations versus majority of tanks.

If you play C tanks the only games where you can feel useful are top tier games vs lower tier tanks, while spamming gold. But those games dont exist.

So tldr why wot sucks and players are leaving is this:

- 50% of the tanks in the game are utterly crapand pointless to play even if you spam gold, and believe me, no one wants to spam gold (as in, spamming 70k worth of ammo in a game, despite getting to be "competitive" thanks to it, doesnt produce a net positive feeling about the game)

- 35% of the tanks in the game are only really competitive when spamming gold and without spamming gold they are competitive in maybe 30% of the games. And given what was said above this means that in 70% of the games those tanks dont overall produce positive feelings.

- 15% of tanks despite being op/broken are still only really competitive without spamming gold in maybe 60-70% of games, thus still some 30-40% of games in those tanks are still unfun.

Now obviously the chance is that many of the A tanks arent tanks that you would want to play in the first place (you dont like their look, you dont like their basic playstyle, you simply arent interested in playing practically only rashn tonks...) and so at the end of the day you find that there are maybe 5 tanks total in the whole game at tiers 6+ that you personally find interesting and that are at the same time in category A, allowing you to actually have mostly fun when playing the game.

3-4 years ago id take out and have fun in every single tank in my garage. Now if i go through my garage 80% of the tanks in there i wouldnt even touch with a 10 meter pole and the few tanks that i would play i dont play anyway because i dont have any premium account anymore thus cant afford to play them long term. What is left are like 3 tanks out of 70, which just isnt good enough and gets boring insanely fast. 

Homer_J #53 Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:37 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31398 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDr_Oolen, on 22 July 2018 - 08:31 AM, said:

Bois, the actual reason(s) why players are leaving the game is pretty much this:

1. Game is seven years old and the basic format has barely changed, people naturally move on to something new.

LordMuffin #54 Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:54 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 50224 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostHomer_J, on 22 July 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

1. Game is seven years old and the basic format has barely changed, people naturally move on to something new.

Chess is way older and people still play it.

Solstad1069 #55 Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:57 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 42168 battles

When you in an online multiplayer game take away the fun in playing together with friends your on the wrong path.

Dont have to be a brilliant mind to see that. 

The old mm balanced tanks after weight so you could get 3 top tier heavies balanced vs 3 top tier TDs or mediums on the other team. Then put them on Himmelsdorf.

Then you see people drive off the cliff to get to the next game. :)

Homer_J #56 Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:05 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 31398 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostLordMuffin, on 22 July 2018 - 08:54 AM, said:

Chess is way older and people still play it.

I don't.  I used to but I got bored of the same old routines over and over.  We did liven it up for a while with a four way board though.  And that's what WoT needs, a new game mode but this time one which works.

LordMuffin #57 Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:12 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 50224 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostHomer_J, on 22 July 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

I don't.  I used to but I got bored of the same old routines over and over.  We did liven it up for a while with a four way board though.  And that's what WoT needs, a new game mode but this time one which works.

As a game, chess have survived far longer then WoT while retaining a healthy number of players at all levels.

Why can't WOT? 

Sfinski #58 Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:13 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 34690 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View PostGuidotheItalianStallion, on 21 July 2018 - 06:19 PM, said:

Well...I find it interesting to see how many people actually spend money on this crap! The games are rigged to try to get you to spend money. How many times do you hear "we didn't penetrate their armour" or "we didn't even scratch them?" This is total BS especially when you know you are shooting a far lesser tank. Why does this happen? Because it's probably your turn to die and/or lose.

Then, there's the issue of dedicated servers where WOT puts people to play nothing but bots! You can always tell because bots move quicker than normal and they can move their turret in lightening fashion. And...they always hit you no matter what!

Bottom line guys: it's all about how WOT can make money. Perhaps if we stop spending hard earned money on this crap, it will force WOT to hire some good developers who know how to rig (fix) games without being so obvious.

I'm calling bullcrap. 

Show some proof on those?

Mr_Burrows #59 Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:21 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 47166 battles
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT

View PostHomer_J, on 22 July 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

I liked the basic format better back when it was more basic. And I believe the eternal wish to "improve" the game has also rendered it more boring. 

To me a game does not need to have perfect graphics, nor does it need to be all up to date. I even go so far as to suggest that simpler graphics would benefit the game as it would mean more could play it on their current computers. Or to put it this way; did anyone ever hear of a player that started playing WoT due to the amazing graphics? I doubt it. 

Another reflection is that the silly tank games introduced in-game as gimmicky holiday events on several occasions (be it the Port Chaffee races or the Minecraft-esque pixel tank game in a pink arena) had something that WoT as a whole almost lack nowadays - they were fun. They solely aimed at being fun, nothing else. I am not talking about playing football though, because that game mode is tedious at best, be it on a football field on earth or the moon. The latter was laughable at best tbh. 

I have beaten the "bring back the AMX ELC to its former glory!" thing to death, I know. Some of you nod when I say that. But... I always think of that era in game development as a sort of breaking point, because it feels that a lot of things happened back then, just around that time, that led WoT onto the downslope path it is on today. Map changes, new physics, "balancing" tanks. Prem ammo for silver. Heavier armor. Making a profit became the new goal. Sowing was done, now it was time to reap.  And reap WG did. And they liked it.

So... Things just started to get worse. Slowly at first, but today I doubt that anyone with a sliver of common sense cannot pick up that the game has been turned into "hey give us yer moneyz!" monster. It is not about the game any more, it is all about ca$h. €uros. Having fun? Who cares! Just give us yer moneyz! 

And this leads to a state of the game where when I log on to the game on a weekend I see 46K players online, not 150K. It has nothing to do with summer, football WC or Trumph. It is because the game has become an ATM machine for the owners. 

I can understand that WG feels a need to earn money. I am not daft, I understand this fully. To keep servers almost running and on occasion fix a bug - be it seldom and far in between - there needs to be a cash flow. But the greed that has infused the game over the past... say 2.5 years, is too blatantly obvious. Changes nowadays are not for the game experience, they are for further lining the pockets of the owners. It shines through. This is what makes the players disappear. A bundle with a pixel tank that will be outdated in about a year, along with some other cr@p, and charge twice the cost of a stand alone game that will last just as long? Yeah, right. 

Edited by Mr_Burrows, 22 July 2018 - 09:24 AM.

Wintermute_1 #60 Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:28 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47776 battles
Historically no change has created a player drop off like 3/5/7 mm. Its just not fun to be bottom tier (8) all the time. They need to buff pref MM tanks, remove pref MM and go to +1 -1 on a 6/9 or 5/10 template. And they need to do it quickly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users