The obvious cheater plague

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
279 replies to this topic

ArgentHellion #1 Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:43 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8393 battles
  • [MP40] MP40

The more I try to push my way towards the higher tiers the more I realize there is

an over-abundance of cheaters in the game, so much so that it could be considered

an outright plague. Although I catch a glimpse of it every now and then in Random

Battles, it is most prevalent and most obvious in Skirmishes, especially in tier6

Skirmishes. How easy are they to spot? Well, pretty easy if you know what you're

looking for, so here's my list.

1.) Firing gold with uncanny accuracy.

First shot, gold ammo, hits my ammo-rack or my engine. I instantly repair it. Second

shot, gold, hits my ammo-rack or my engine, whichever it hit previously. My repair kit

is on cooldown so I can't repair it. Third shot, gold, when it hits my ammo-rack I explode,

when it hits my engine I'm as good as dead anyways. When this scenario happens in 3

out of 5 Skirmishes on a daily basis, there is no denying the enemy is using some kind

of aim-assist.

2.) Map super-awareness

I've been told countless times in a battle not to disturb any of the obstacles on the map,

so the enemy won't be able to rely on the exploit of receiving reports of such a disturbance.

Doesn't matter if it's a pole or a fence, you crash it and they know where you are, or your

ally. I've seen players actively planning their defensive posture when capturing the enemy

base, pointing their tank at the open side and leaving the side with the most obstacles 

behind them. As soon as anything is disturbed behind them, they instantly turn around.

3.) Two-way minimap

This is basically the extension of of the map super-awareness, if the cheaters are using

that one then this one comes as no surprise whatsoever. This one becomes obvious when

you or your team-mates get shelled by an Artillery Strike without actually being spotted.

I've also seen it in Random Battles among the SPG players, actively pointing where the

enemy SPG's are in order to counter-battery them (so if you see someone getting the

CounterBattery medal, it is more than likely they are using this cheat).

4.) Perfect auto-angling.

Now I have absolutely NO IDEA how this works, but it has to be some kind of an exploit.

Every once in a while I run into an enemy tank that's twitching in a rather unusual way when

it's backing into cover and, given that my aiming indicator color doesn't change when I'm

pointing at the same spot, it tells me they are probably using some kind of a tool that provides

perfect angling against whatever they're currently pointing at... and no, the tank twitching is

not the result of my bad internet connection, as a matter of fact I recently upgraded mine.

5.) Playing WITH obvious cheaters

Playing against cheaters is frustrating, but playing with them is rather infuriating. When they

start revealing enemy positions and suddenly changing tactics accordingly while outright

saying they're using cheats, it just sucks out that little joy left in the game. More over, it is

insufferable when you're among the last players left in a fight and you have a cheater in

your team that's dictating your every single move and goes on to get you thrown out of the

team if you don't follow said orders down to a letter. I've experienced this in a handful of

Random Battles as well, but quire rarely.

I'm pretty sure there are more ways to spot cheaters if one is paying close attention than

the ones I listed, so if anybody knows any other ways do tell.

Dava_117 #2 Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:50 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18506 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

Those are not cheat. Most of them are impossible to obtain in a server side game as WoT and the other are skill any player can obtain with time.

If you lose the fault is your. Ask yourself what you could have done better and L2P.

_b_ #3 Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:57 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 54991 battles

Sigh,.... of the stuff you talk about about 99% is wrong in so many ways.  Yes, there are cheats...but being a server-side-calculated game with a limited amount of info being passed to the clients. ... you can just forget about the tin-foil conspiracy stuff you are on about.

There is the 'broken object map ping thing' and some laser stuff and what not .. but nothing like you have written about.

Also, in line with what goes here on forum...include a replay of such 'obvious cheats' and include timestamp ...and pretty sure you'll get a perfect explanation as to why what you thought was cheating was just in-game mechanics!

AXIS_OF_RESISTANCE #4 Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:11 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 7457 battles

You have spent a lot of your time in base wanking in arty didn't learn anything or gained any experience 

Some notes on your list 

Number 4 its called side-scraping here is official tutorial by WAR GAMING. 

Other points on your list you gain by playing the game and watching pro players play ,not just sitting in base near red line and clicking 

you can significantly improve your  game   by watching some pro players on Youtube and Twitch .

Long_Range_Sniper #5 Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:22 PM

General

• Player
  • 30521 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Did the OP just describe all the things good players have mastered but somehow it just eludes him, therefore there can only be one explanation?

Spoiler

Grimmx #6 Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:37 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 12054 battles
  • [NTRS] NTRS
Long Range Sniper that made me lol.

Thanks;)

Balc0ra #7 Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:38 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64316 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostArgentHellion, on 17 July 2018 - 10:43 PM, said:

5.) Playing WITH obvious cheaters

Not saying there are no cheaters. There obviously are. But going by this topic. 90% of anyone that hits you are cheaters. As the only one that don't are cheating are those that never hit you, don't wreck your modules or guessed wrong on what direction you took.  And if they even have half a brain, weakspot knowledge, good RNG or even guessed right. Instant cheat. 100% impossible to pull off if not right? 

I mean even if they have aimbots. Dispersion is still server side. They don't hit dead center 100% of the time. Module damage is the same. Even if they hit your modules. It's not even a 100% sure thing they will damage it. Besides the module damage on the gun vs your module HP. And if the first is bigger then the 2nd one. It's a no-brainer. But even so there are still a % chance they need to hit to even damage it. Ammo rack is only 27%... pr hit. And considering most tier 6 meds and lights are wandering engine fires or ammo racks... well...

And as for the map awareness? Well arty is still arty. And in randoms, they park at the same spot 9 out 10 games. So it's not like you need a mod to check the "common" areas to even get a blind kill on them when playing as arty. And if your team mate gets countered. Well... if they don't relocate after firing. It's not gonna take much for the enemy tanks to put two and two together when the hit direction is the same everytime is it? If they tell their friendly arty where the hits are coming from. You don't need a mod to figure out what comes next. Spotted or not. Unless ofc team communication and logic is 100% impossible. Then ofc.. cheat is the next logical step. 

and no, the tank twitching is not the result of my bad internet connection, as a matter of fact I recently upgraded mine.

I suggest you take 5 min to figure out how the data traffic works on this game. Everything is sent to the server and back. Inc movement and damage etc. And if there is one server on the way that's not WG's or your ISP. As in a common cause for packet loss issues etc. Don't matter if you have the best connection in the world. If there is one bad apple on that path. It will result in lost data on the way back. That can.. give tank twitching to name one. Or even turret jumps. 

Sharian #8 Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:40 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 54083 battles
  • [BRIT6] BRIT6

And cue the bell-endas who smash the op.

Ask yourselves why wargaming still bans people on a daily basis for using illegal mods?

TsundereWaffle #9 Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:01 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26579 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Something something everyone who’s better than me is a cheater something something

_Flagada_Jones_ #10 Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:06 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31173 battles
  • [OMGR] OMGR
The cheat who allow you to see ennemies is a dirty one.

Because it use a mod another player added on his own computer, and not nowing he got it.

It is like a worm or virus... 

The bad fact is i read this first as a theory by someone, and, then, they made it.

Destroyed object is a fact.
Lasergun is a fact.
How to place your tank for bounce depending on the ennemy aim exist too.
Aimbot exist too.

Actually the one thinking OP is false, are the one being ignorant :) .

BUT, cheater are not the majority of player, dumb cheater get caught by WG, it let some "good" cheater, who often don't need lot of those cheat, and use it only when they are in a bad position (minus minimap destroyed object and auto repair... I try and left tons of clans because they used near all minimap destroyed objects!!!).

BTW, the biggest cheat actually, are auto retrack/engine/heal/fire.

Edited by _Flagada_Jones_, 18 July 2018 - 12:08 AM.

Alabamatick #11 Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:10 AM

Major

• Player
  • 31849 battles
:popcorn:

Mike_Mckay #12 Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:22 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18699 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-
I couldn't see a single thing there that screams "cheaters"

The fact is that "some" people are just exceptionally good at the game, and even ones who aren't will have a sliding scale of "luck" that increases in proportion to how good they actually are.

Even me, a fairly mediocre player made worse by having to share my WOT time with watching TV or listening to audio books acting as a distraction has managed to pull of what "could" look like skill from the other persons perspective but which only I knew was completely luck like driving over a cliff and shooting the last tank in the game on my way to the ground from mid air which I was "trying" to do, but really didn't think I would succeed at it or getting rushed by 3 genuinely good players who then kept having bad RNG and bouncing off my armour when almost every one of my shots penned despite many/most not even being aimed until I was the last one standing

So to you those would probably both "seem" like cheating, but when "I" did them it was pure luck but there are many players who could have done those exact same things quite deliberately and due to their level of skill. Where you would also equally have seemed to then assume it was cheating

Some of your other "examples" of cheating seem to be nothing more than observing players with a better intuition for the game and the flow of battles or just better map knowledge and awareness

You sound like a millennial, seriously

Edited by Mike_Mckay, 18 July 2018 - 12:23 AM.

Isharial #13 Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:22 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 19425 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Post_Flagada_Jones_, on 18 July 2018 - 12:06 AM, said:

The cheat who allow you to see ennemies is a dirty one.

Because it use a mod another player added on his own computer, and not nowing he got it.

It is like a worm or virus... 

The bad fact is i read this first as a theory by someone, and, then, they made it.

Destroyed object is a fact.
Lasergun is a fact.
How to place your tank for bounce depending on the ennemy aim exist too.
Aimbot exist too.

Actually the one thinking OP is false, are the one being ignorant :) .

BUT, cheater are not the majority of player, dumb cheater get caught by WG, it let some "good" cheater, who often don't need lot of those cheat, and use it only when they are in a bad position (minus minimap destroyed object and auto repair... I try and left tons of clans because they used near all minimap destroyed objects!!!).

BTW, the biggest cheat actually, are auto retrack/engine/heal/fire.

you still need to install the mod at the other end (that's down to the installee of the software) so that also lays blame at the ones who install it (however "unknowing" they might be)

there are mods out there, no one deny's that, but what the OP says, cant happen by use of just mods alone.

angling's down to the person knowing their tank, or getting lucky. this doesn't need a mod to know, only practice and play to get right

map awareness, there's a mod out there that shows when this happens, but you don't need a mod to see a light being a lumberjack and knocking every tree its in path down... an artillery can preaim on a common spot, and will see the items knocked down/destroyed even when you aren't spotted (and that's using the vanilla client) so you don't necessarily need a mod to do this

the accuracy part shows how clueless OP is really.. given the dispersion and RNG are server side and untouchable.. no aimbot can adjust that stuff

I believe your also "ignorant" (if you got nothing better than to call names) for not understanding what is and isn't possible in a server side game

modders need banning sure, but players are not the judges of that. most couldn't tell a human from a bot, they wont be able to tell a cheater from a non cheater either

auto retracking can be done with 2 clicks on a gaming mouse... (if you set some of the extra buttons as keybinds). its something WG allow you to do, so its not a cheat (but it does give a helping hand, though for as long as XVM is not banned, this can stay)

Edited by Isharial, 18 July 2018 - 12:23 AM.

Dorander #14 Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:37 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 17854 battles

1) Gold shells typically have higher penetration, which means the shell has a higher probability of doing internal (module/crew) damage. If somebody hits you twice on the same spot, they're likely to damage the same module, because that's where it's located. It's nothing to do with cheating, it's simply consistent mechanics.

2) It couldn't possibly be because they were spotted, or because somebody saw the object being destroyed because you can turn your camera 360 degrees?

3) Artillery has top-down view which can see shell tracers from enemy artillery. You don't need cheats to counter-artillery, you just need eyes and some experience about where artillery typically is. They can see shell tracers from other unspotted camping tanks as well, I have fond memories of trying to counter artillery but oneshotting some camping TD instead.

4) It's called wiggling. People do it so your impact angel becomes less predictable or to even make you completely miss if they manage to throw off your aim enough. It's just making the weakspot location less obvious to the aiming player, thus making it effectively smaller. Various tanks have enough reverse and traverse speed to look like they're dancing, though it's nowhere near as bad as the original Type 59, which would've made Chubby Checkers proud.

5) There's an option in the vanilla UI that you can turn on that indicates which direction a shell came from, which combined with map experience gives you a high probability of predicting where artillery is and a decent probability of predicting where other tank types are. This is further supplemented by simply knowing which tank types typically go where, and knowing what their spot ranges are (since enemy tank types is visible info). The probability of guessing right increases if teams are smaller such as in skirmishes, the fewer variables on the field, the more predictable the game becomes.

The more you write, the more I realize you have no idea what you're looking at. While there surely are cheaters in this game, nothing you describe *requires* cheats, thus nothing you see gives you any information about the prevalence of any potential cheaters. It just shows you have a lot left to learn about the game, and I suspect that's the real reason you get thrown out of these teams. Also, bonus giggles for claiming that's happened in randoms, where you can't get thrown out of the team.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #15 Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:26 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27510 battles

I'm pretty sure there are more ways to spot cheaters if one is paying close attention than

the ones I listed, so if anybody knows any other ways do tell.

Utterly clueless..

Aznarb #16 Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:55 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 14758 battles
  • [-CVR-] -CVR-

View PostAXIS_OF_RESISTANCE, on 17 July 2018 - 11:11 PM, said:

You have spent a lot of your time in base wanking in arty didn't learn anything or gained any experience 

Some notes on your list 

Number 4 its called side-scraping here is official tutorial by WAR GAMING. 

Other points on your list you gain by playing the game and watching pro players play ,not just sitting in base near red line and clicking 

you can significantly improve your  game   by watching some pro players on Youtube and Twitch .

Funny to see the only char with he's "good" is the super-OP french arty T5 :)

#BalancedGame

Also, the OP is right about destroying object on the map.

It sad, but true, lot of player use it..

Edited by Aznarb, 18 July 2018 - 02:59 AM.

Jigabachi #17 Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:16 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

How easy are they to spot? Well, pretty easy if you know what you're

looking for, 

The problem here is... if you have absolutely no clue about it, didn't do any proper research and, on top of that, if you still don't understand how the game works after playing multiple thousand matches, you'll end up spotting cheaters behind every corner.

And that's exactly what you are doing.

slitth #18 Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:01 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11931 battles

I can only recognize the first thing "Firing gold with uncanny accuracy."

But it in such small numbers that I can not remember the last time I experience it.

What I also see is a few tanks that have ammunition racks in places that many naturally aim for.

So that will give you a lot of false positives.

And I think the reason we see few real cheaters of this variant is that they stick out like a sore thumb in the server statistics.

I mean a player that has an unusually high number of ammunition racks kills. That would automatically require a closer look.

JocMeister #19 Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:59 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21748 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

The old "everyone who is better than me cheats" thread...

OP. Git gud.

wsatnutter #20 Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:44 AM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 24380 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
gotta love ib4tl

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users