Jump to content


TD Crew and line dilemma


  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

_6i6_ #1 Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:26 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 8515 battles
  • 209
  • [A__K] A__K
  • Member since:
    03-22-2018

Ok so im in a dilemma regarding crews for my german TD;s.

Atm i only have the hetzer and stug iii g(soon the stug iv as well as im close to finalizing the missions). Both have 1 skill set and training the second one(at about 30% both of them), so quite low still.

However, i have enough free xp and xp to unlock JgPz iV and should have enough remaining to almost unlock jpanther almost immediately(maybe just a few battles with the jgpz iv).

- So first question is: Is jgpz iv worth grinding? SHould i try and go quickly to the jpanther?

      If so, should i train new crew for jgpziv/jpanther or move the crew from one of the hetzer/stug iii g?

      Hetzer though only has 4-man crew.Plus hetzer is a keeper.(Stug is also a keeper though - i like it)

So i suppose most ppl would say to train new crew for the jgpz iv.

What about the crew from stug iv? Do they have BIA already trained? So i could transfer those instead.

 

ANd second question: After jpanther, i see most people tend to go for the jpanther II instead of the ferdi. Is it just the mobility/armor difference or something else?

 


Edited by _6i6_, 19 July 2018 - 11:27 AM.


Graeme0 #2 Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:48 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 24919 battles
  • 508
  • [M-O-M] M-O-M
  • Member since:
    02-15-2015

My advice would not to rush up the tech tree, play the tanks and learn the playstyle, this is (ish) consistant up the tech tree so will help at higher tiers.

 

Ferdi / JP2 is a question of playstyle, Ferdi being better armoured but slower,  wheras JP2 can move around easier but has thinner armour (which is better sloped) i think you will know the answer to this question by the time you unlock them.

 

Crews make a huge difference to the performance of a tank so I would always suggest having multiple crews on a line  gaining xp from the earliest tier you can.



TungstenHitman #3 Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:59 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 22260 battles
  • 4,076
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

Did that line a long long time ago up to and including the JP2 which for me is where the fun stops as the TDs then change to these massive, slow, heavy armored, hp pinatas. I was a really bad noob with trashy pc at the time but from what I remember the tier6 reads well on paper but was actually frustrating to play and the problem was it's really tight gun arch, poor standard pen and derpy 773 shell velocity so that combination was a nightmare for me to play. You constantly have to traverse the tank to compensate for running out of gun arch which of course throws the aiming circle and soft stats into overdrive, then you shoot and this slow shell limps its way towards a target that hopefully doesn't move or change speed/direction and then finally the 145 standard pen.. that works on a T-34-85 or a tank where you have a turret and can work situations better and track and get sides but for a TD like this, and with an almost locked gun arch that will be taking on most tanks frontally... trash pen value, is it the worst tier6 TD pen? I think close. 

 

The JPanther - Beautiful beast with a big ol boom stick, fast traverse, good pen, excellent aim time, workable camo and bouncy cheese wedge shape that can be worked to good effect at full gun dep BUT... it's a bag a trash until you get at least the long 88 and crew with fill camo. With the 105, can be great fun, got me my first ever Radleys so I keep it and have good memories with this TD but need to stick a crew back in it, haven't played it for years.

 

JP2 vs Ferdie - many threads about this choice. The short answer is the JP2 and the short reason is that it is much quicker and agile.



Steve8066 #4 Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:08 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 12437 battles
  • 834
  • Member since:
    10-06-2015
If i was only starting the grind now knowing what i already know, i wouldnt grind the Ferdi again, id go JP2

250swb #5 Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:10 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 22676 battles
  • 5,075
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-23-2015
I think you can get away with 'good' crews (for the tier) in say Russian TD's, but as you go up the tiers in the German line I think you need 'very good' crews. It's a good excuse to keep playing the Marder 38T (you shouldn't need an excuse to play this) and a couple of other lower tier German TD's and get the crews into three skills or more then move them up to the new tank. A 'good' starting crew in a four man TD would have Commander with Sixth Sense and Camo, Gunner with Camo and Snap Shot, Driver with Camo and Clutch Breaking, and Loader with Camo and Safe Stowage. Then a 'very good' crew builds on those skills.

Edited by 250swb, 19 July 2018 - 12:17 PM.


DaddysLittlePrincess #6 Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:14 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 24704 battles
  • 222
  • Member since:
    08-14-2012

I wouldn't skip tanks with free xp. I'd rather free exp modules and grind the tank. What's the point of wasting all your free exp to unlock tier 7 tank and stuck with useless stock gun for many battles? You'll find yourself useless on battlefield and you'll be burden for your team. And when you grind tanks your crew gets better.

 

About the crews, I think the best decision would be to retrain it to higher tier vehicle and, if you really want to keep low tier tanks, grind new crews for them. Higher the tier, more important the crew is. 

Crew for Stug IV is 100% without any skills.

 

About JP2/Ferdi, 2 years ago I'd say JP2 all the way, but then Ferdi got significant buff and JP2 stayed intact. Ferdi has a lot more HP (1500vs1150), better armor, better gun depression and gun arc, but it's so slow I'd still get JP2. I'd suggest trying both on test server when it's up again. 

 

Also, I would strongly recommend dropping this line alltogether as it's just bad. 



_6i6_ #7 Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:21 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 8515 battles
  • 209
  • [A__K] A__K
  • Member since:
    03-22-2018

View PostGraeme0, on 19 July 2018 - 12:48 PM, said:

My advice would not to rush up the tech tree, play the tanks and learn the playstyle, this is (ish) consistant up the tech tree so will help at higher tiers.

 

Ferdi / JP2 is a question of playstyle, Ferdi being better armoured but slower,  wheras JP2 can move around easier but has thinner armour (which is better sloped) i think you will know the answer to this question by the time you unlock them.

 

Crews make a huge difference to the performance of a tank so I would always suggest having multiple crews on a line  gaining xp from the earliest tier you can.

 

Yes im certainly not rushing up :P

i think my avg tier atm based on games is 5 something..

But i certainly dont have well trained TD crews yet :P

The crew from stug iv will be a good addition

 

View PostDaddysLittlePrincess, on 19 July 2018 - 01:14 PM, said:

I wouldn't skip tanks with free xp. I'd rather free exp modules and grind the tank. What's the point of wasting all your free exp to unlock tier 7 tank and stuck with useless stock gun for many battles? You'll find yourself useless on battlefield and you'll be burden for your team. And when you grind tanks your crew gets better.

 

About the crews, I think the best decision would be to retrain it to higher tier vehicle and, if you really want to keep low tier tanks, grind new crews for them. Higher the tier, more important the crew is. 

Crew for Stug IV is 100% without any skills.

 

About JP2/Ferdi, 2 years ago I'd say JP2 all the way, but then Ferdi got significant buff and JP2 stayed intact. Ferdi has a lot more HP (1500vs1150), better armor, better gun depression and gun arc, but it's so slow I'd still get JP2. I'd suggest trying both on test server when it's up again. 

 

Also, I would strongly recommend dropping this line alltogether as it's just bad. 

 

To be honest ive thought of that(giving that line up), but i did however decide to try as many as possible from german line(since it is the one i started with) before i play any other line in the game.

 

And also regarding the freexp grind(for the jgpziv) i wouldnt do it stock :P  but mainly i said it because it seems that jgpziv, at least based on others' opinion is prolly really bad, but i guess ill find that out soon enough:playing:


 

Steve8066 #8 Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:37 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 12437 battles
  • 834
  • Member since:
    10-06-2015

View Post_6i6_, on 19 July 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

 

To be honest ive thought of that(giving that line up), but i did however decide to try as many as possible from german line(since it is the one i started with) before i play any other line in the game.

 

And also regarding the freexp grind(for the jgpziv) i wouldnt do it stock :P  but mainly i said it because it seems that jgpziv, at least based on others' opinion is prolly really bad, but i guess ill find that out soon enough:playing:

 

no, itts not bad at all, with the 88 its a fun tank.

Homer_J #9 Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:01 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 28771 battles
  • 30,106
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View Post_6i6_, on 19 July 2018 - 11:26 AM, said:

 

However, i have enough free xp and xp to unlock JgPz iV and should have enough remaining to almost unlock jpanther almost immediately(maybe just a few battles with the jgpz iv).

- So first question is: Is jgpz iv worth grinding? SHould i try and go quickly to the jpanther?

 

 

 

 

Don't skip tanks with free exp.

 

You get to not play a fully upgraded tank and in return you get to play the next one stock with a bad crew.

 

Use free exp only for the minimum you need to make a tank comfortable to play at it's tier.  Save the rest for the next tank.



_6i6_ #10 Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:06 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 8515 battles
  • 209
  • [A__K] A__K
  • Member since:
    03-22-2018

View PostHomer_J, on 19 July 2018 - 02:01 PM, said:

 

 

Don't skip tanks with free exp.

 

You get to not play a fully upgraded tank and in return you get to play the next one stock with a bad crew.

 

Use free exp only for the minimum you need to make a tank comfortable to play at it's tier.  Save the rest for the next tank.

 

Yes that's pretty much my thought. It was just my concern since germany seems to have so many TD's(and actually there are quite a few which are not in game and should be - brummbaer etc), if it was actually worth playing the jgpziv or go for the jpanther and move a good crew(either from stug iv or stug iii g ) straight into jpanther

Edited by _6i6_, 19 July 2018 - 01:07 PM.


SuedKAT #11 Posted 19 July 2018 - 02:03 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 12154 battles
  • 6,512
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-21-2014

The Jg Pz IV used to be trash, then they buffed it and now it's a monster, with modules and a decent crew you start reaching 3k DPM at tier 6 with a gun that have 220 alpha it's just insane, not to mention that the frontal armor can bounce randomly as well, not only due to the gun mantle but also since vs lower tiers the armor kinda works. I love it and play it every night, even got 3 MoE on it a while ago which just made me play it more. The JPanther is quite nice as well, but it's a bit different play-style, now you got a big boom stick instead. 

 

That's so far how far up the line I've grinded, loved both machines, especially the Jg Pz IV, I intend to get the JPanther 2 eventually, the Ferdi don't really seem all that fun.


Edited by SuedKAT, 19 July 2018 - 02:03 PM.


_6i6_ #12 Posted 19 July 2018 - 02:11 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 8515 battles
  • 209
  • [A__K] A__K
  • Member since:
    03-22-2018

ok i think there is only one solution then...

grind them all,play them all :P

 

 



Gremlin182 #13 Posted 19 July 2018 - 02:20 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 48873 battles
  • 8,171
  • Member since:
    04-18-2012

Personally I would save free xp for unlocking modules rather than tanks but hey I have done it myself when I really disliked the tank I was playing.

 

Not played the JgPzIV for some years so what I know could be moot.

It had very good camo better than the Stug III probably because it was very low.

The armour back then could provide some bounces

 

I can never decide which path to take so I always take both.

 

If you really do get stuck deciding which line to follow later on wait for the next test server to be announced.

Download the client install and update just like the game only it goes in a different folder.

Assuming of course you have space and download capability to do that.

You will then have temporary use of 20,000 gold and 100 million credits and XP.

Unlock whatever tanks you like and play them.

 

Very difficult to get enough players for low tiers but 6 and 7 should be playable and 8 9 and 10 no problem at all

 


Edited by Gremlin182, 19 July 2018 - 02:24 PM.


Bordhaw #14 Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:50 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 11553 battles
  • 2,526
  • Member since:
    01-29-2017

View PostHomer_J, on 19 July 2018 - 12:01 PM, said:

 

 

Don't skip tanks with free exp.

 

You get to not play a fully upgraded tank and in return you get to play the next one stock with a bad crew.

 

Use free exp only for the minimum you need to make a tank comfortable to play at it's tier.  Save the rest for the next tank.

 

:medal:

_6i6_ #15 Posted 27 August 2018 - 01:51 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 8515 battles
  • 209
  • [A__K] A__K
  • Member since:
    03-22-2018

So after a month of playing the JgPz iv i can confirm it is quite a fun tank - contrary to my prior belief - (at least to my little WoT experience so far).

- Although i dont know how it used to be since as i understand it was buffed recently? -

 

Good camo value,penetration with standard ammo is acceptable for Tier VIII matches(flanking only ofcourse) which has been the norm so far. Out of the total of 90+ matches ive had with it, i think 60+ matches were Tier VIII - still it fared ok as bottom tier. My avg. damage so far is around 810 which is not so bad i think.

Bouncing can occur too, particularly when you wiggle the tank right and left or front-back - it has saved me quite a few times actually bouncing many shots from cocky Tier VIII lights :P

Generally it has been quite fun playing this tank so jpanther will have to wait a bit :P

 



ThinGun #16 Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:41 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 35064 battles
  • 1,299
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014

German TDs are great.  My recommendation is to spend as much time as possible in the Marder 38 - its a right laugh AND you'll learn all the basics for the non-turreted TDs - train your crew, learn to hide, learn to swap ammo quickly and all those other tricks that make the enemy hate you.

If you fancy a REAL bit of fun .. fork out for an E25.  I don't think it's possible to have more fun in a German TD.

 

When you git gud in fixed guns, consider moving up t the Borsig.   I've done the Dicker Max and the Nash - and they don't inspire me.  I sold the Nash.  

 

(However, if you want some REAL fun with TDs, I would recommend the US tanks - the M8A1, T67 and Hellcat in particular are great tanks)



VarzA #17 Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:57 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 20632 battles
  • 1,387
  • [USAGI] USAGI
  • Member since:
    06-17-2011

View Post_6i6_, on 27 August 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

So after a month of playing the JgPz iv i can confirm it is quite a fun tank - contrary to my prior belief - (at least to my little WoT experience so far).

- Although i dont know how it used to be since as i understand it was buffed recently? -

 

Good camo value,penetration with standard ammo is acceptable for Tier VIII matches(flanking only ofcourse) which has been the norm so far. Out of the total of 90+ matches ive had with it, i think 60+ matches were Tier VIII - still it fared ok as bottom tier. My avg. damage so far is around 810 which is not so bad i think.

Bouncing can occur too, particularly when you wiggle the tank right and left or front-back - it has saved me quite a few times actually bouncing many shots from cocky Tier VIII lights :P

Generally it has been quite fun playing this tank so jpanther will have to wait a bit :P

 

 

If you still need a recommendation, save your free xp for the 12.8cm l55 that the jpanther II/ferdinand need to get unlocked.

_6i6_ #18 Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:31 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 8515 battles
  • 209
  • [A__K] A__K
  • Member since:
    03-22-2018

View PostThinGun, on 27 August 2018 - 08:41 PM, said:

German TDs are great.  My recommendation is to spend as much time as possible in the Marder 38 - its a right laugh AND you'll learn all the basics for the non-turreted TDs - train your crew, learn to hide, learn to swap ammo quickly and all those other tricks that make the enemy hate you.

If you fancy a REAL bit of fun .. fork out for an E25.  I don't think it's possible to have more fun in a German TD.

 

When you git gud in fixed guns, consider moving up t the Borsig.   I've done the Dicker Max and the Nash - and they don't inspire me.  I sold the Nash.  

 

(However, if you want some REAL fun with TDs, I would recommend the US tanks - the M8A1, T67 and Hellcat in particular are great tanks)

 

Actually i learned the hard way...with hetzer... as it was my fourth tank in wot after panzer 38t,38 na and pz iv h. 

But i was indeed thinking of going back sometime between jg pz iv and jpanther and unlock the marder 38 t just for the fun of it :P

 

As far as the us line is concerned, they will probably be my next after i ve done the german ones


Edited by _6i6_, 27 August 2018 - 11:33 PM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users