Were there trolls/blockers in Frontline when teamdamage was turned off? I haven't heard of any.....

Team Damage

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Disabling Team Damage (48 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Should Team Damage Be Disabled According To The Points Made In This Post?

1. Yes, ASAP (5 votes [10.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.42%

2. Yes (11 votes [22.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.92%

3. No (22 votes [45.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.83%

4. No, I Think It Won't Change Anything (10 votes [20.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

Vote Hide poll

PervyPastryPuffer #1 Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:42 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 31588 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

Giving players the ability to deal damage to their own teammates only leads to frustrations for the receiving end and "penalties" for the offenders, but we'll never know if they even received a sanction or not, leaving our wounds open and keeping our minds in turmoil without closure on the subject.

Reporting players for teamdamage does literally nothing from what I've heard, since there is no such report option - only "unsportsmanlike conduct" which can be any non-contributory player behaviour towards a team's victory.

Customer Support won't do anything about it either, because "the in-game teamdamage system" "tracks dealt teamdamage and applies appropriate actions automatically"... However, it never takes into account what influence a team-damaging hit will have on the damaged player, such as module damage, crew injury, or getting detracked in the open, nor does it consider the situation which each player and the team could be in.

The severity of the sanctions are strictly shot-amount-based, so if for example, a player gets shot by another player who thinks the first player is not doing their job, the angered player's shot could severely impact the shot player's ability to make a positive difference in battle. The angry player won't even turn blue after shooting his teammate with the first shot, yet that single shot could disable the player for the rest of the match, leading to a loss in some cases.

It seems to me, because this system is far from perfect and I don't think it'll be worked on/improved at any time in the near future, that team damage should simply be completely disabled, just like it was in the Frontline gamemode. I've been hit by my own team's shots in that mode but it never annoyed me, there were no consequences, and there weren't any trolls/blockers I could find. I've never seen anyone being blocked or heard anyone complaining they've been trolled by a player in that mode, even though I could clearly and consistently see players raging in chat about their team.

vixu #2 Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:49 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 43064 battles
It would make a more arcade gameplay similar to tank mode when player would take any shot possibility. It would make it way harder to use enemy as a cover. 

Raptor051 #3 Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:30 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 26010 battles

(IF at all) WG should only disable deliberate damage (like that mod), so You cant just shot green tank.

Also it could be game setting (changes after the battle) that would become permanent if abused...

Cheers

Edited by Raptor051, 20 July 2018 - 03:35 PM.

Flid_Merchant #4 Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:43 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9759 battles
It also helps with the much larger map, if anybody is being a bellend you can get away from them much more easily.

Kozzy #5 Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:51 PM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [RINSE] RINSE

View Postvixu, on 20 July 2018 - 01:49 PM, said:

It would make a more arcade gameplay similar to tank mode when player would take any shot possibility. It would make it way harder to use enemy as a cover. 

This made me laugh.  As it is, I take every shot I can and if I hit a team mate?  So what, f*ck that guy, right?  That's also how I find other players treat my tank.  The fine and minute risk of a short ban are in no way a deterrent that works in any meaningful way.  Also, this IS an arcade tank shooter and in no way a simulation.  The whole "but it will increase greifing" response is nonsense as it is the same people who say this as who also say "never shoot green tanks hurr durr".

Jigabachi #6 Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:20 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Like stated in multiple other threads: No, thanks. It has to stay. But that doesn't mean that you can't change some thingsaround it...

Balc0ra #7 Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:45 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 67384 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Oh I saw a few arguments that heated up when I played FL. That ended up with one following the other to annoy him vs killing him. But considering the scale of the battle, and that they could respawn vs forcing them back to garage. It was... not as "rewarding" for the trolls if you will vs randoms. Thus most arguments were limited to the chat, as they got nothing out of it most times. 

The thing is that console turned it off. And what I learned there is that turning it off... only gets you halfway there. They still will find ways to get you taken out. Pushing and blocking there became 10x more common after they turned it off. And getting spotted and hiding behind the one you are mad at is even more common. Once team damage was turned off, people got creative. If they want to ruin the game for you. They will find a way. Ways automatic systems won't pick up on. 

View PostJigabachi, on 20 July 2018 - 04:20 PM, said:

Like stated in multiple other threads: No, thanks. It has to stay. But that doesn't mean that you can't change some thingsaround it...

I agree. One way would be to fix the compensation system. Not to the target player tho so you could exploit it, or even get others to provoke more to get more silver out of it etc. But the "middle man" takes more, way more. Compensation to the target should be what the repairs are more or less. The other pays way more in penalty then he does now. That won't eliminate it. But put some on more tight leash vs before. 

NUKLEAR_SLUG #8 Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:49 PM

Major

• Player
  • 30529 battles
There were definitely still a few who were happy to try and push you out of cover if you had "their" spot so I'd imagine it's just as well team damage was off.

Alabamatick #9 Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:22 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 31849 battles

View PostTankyouverymuch2, on 20 July 2018 - 10:42 AM, said:

Giving players the ability to deal damage to their own teammates only leads to frustrations for the receiving end and "penalties" for the offenders, but we'll never know if they even received a sanction or not, leaving our wounds open and keeping our minds in turmoil without closure on the subject.

Reporting players for teamdamage does literally nothing from what I've heard, since there is no such report option - only "unsportsmanlike conduct" which can be any non-contributory player behaviour towards a team's victory.

Customer Support won't do anything about it either, because "the in-game teamdamage system" "tracks dealt teamdamage and applies appropriate actions automatically"... However, it never takes into account what influence a team-damaging hit will have on the damaged player, such as module damage, crew injury, or getting detracked in the open, nor does it consider the situation which each player and the team could be in.

The severity of the sanctions are strictly shot-amount-based, so if for example, a player gets shot by another player who thinks the first player is not doing their job, the angered player's shot could severely impact the shot player's ability to make a positive difference in battle. The angry player won't even turn blue after shooting his teammate with the first shot, yet that single shot could disable the player for the rest of the match, leading to a loss in some cases.

It seems to me, because this system is far from perfect and I don't think it'll be worked on/improved at any time in the near future, that team damage should simply be completely disabled, just like it was in the Frontline gamemode. I've been hit by my own team's shots in that mode but it never annoyed me, there were no consequences, and there weren't any trolls/blockers I could find. I've never seen anyone being blocked or heard anyone complaining they've been trolled by a player in that mode, even though I could clearly and consistently see players raging in chat about their team.

I got blocked / harassed twice (i think) in FL 1st time didn't last long but the second was on and off the whole match, (there was a lot of spam in chat which i assume about me, didn't really read it so not sure)

maybe i'd got his spot or wasn't doing what he thought i should idk, i just kept driving off till he got bored

Edited by Alabamatick, 20 July 2018 - 06:25 PM.

Headless_Rooster #10 Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:32 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10845 battles
  • [WUN-2] WUN-2

View PostBalc0ra, on 20 July 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

Oh I saw a few arguments that heated up when I played FL. That ended up with one following the other to annoy him vs killing him. But considering the scale of the battle, and that they could respawn vs forcing them back to garage. It was... not as "rewarding" for the trolls if you will vs randoms. Thus most arguments were limited to the chat, as they got nothing out of it most times. 

The thing is that console turned it off. And what I learned there is that turning it off... only gets you halfway there. They still will find ways to get you taken out. Pushing and blocking there became 10x more common after they turned it off. And getting spotted and hiding behind the one you are mad at is even more common. Once team damage was turned off, people got creative. If they want to ruin the game for you. They will find a way. Ways automatic systems won't pick up on. 

I agree. One way would be to fix the compensation system. Not to the target player tho so you could exploit it, or even get others to provoke more to get more silver out of it etc. But the "middle man" takes more, way more. Compensation to the target should be what the repairs are more or less. The other pays way more in penalty then he does now. That won't eliminate it. But put some on more tight leash vs before. 

All good points :great: if it was going to cost them 50k silver it'd put them off a bit.

The downside would be incidental costs for innocents who cause damage, like the LT ramming the HT getting off the spawn, or barrel blocking trolls who sneak up on arty to get themselves shot etc.

Isharial #11 Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:36 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 20468 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

it wont change anything, if not make it worse if it was disabled...

no being able to track the guy and run leaving them defenceless.. 

no assistance from allies since they cant track it either, or kill it if needed. they can only watch as some idiot pushes people into the enemy

whats worse?

the occasional allied shot?

or

an annoying pusher in a heavy tank who requires 4 others to stop them from pushing random people about?

imo the first is better than the second...

View PostHeadless_Rooster, on 20 July 2018 - 06:32 PM, said:

All good points :great: if it was going to cost them 50k silver it'd put them off a bit.

The downside would be incidental costs for innocents who cause damage, like the LT ramming the HT getting off the spawn, or barrel blocking trolls who sneak up on arty to get themselves shot etc.

yeah those little hits wont cost you 50k though (as the example cost) . 1k in allied repairs still wont bankrupt them

and arty that end up hitting those dumb trolls shouldn't have to pay anything at all IMO

SlyMeerkat #12 Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:51 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 16726 battles
  • [FILO] FILO
Damn, i voted Yes by accident when it was meant to be No but cant change it, ah well..... I didn't notice any bad doings when it came to team damage and trolling when that was off, it made the mode way more fun and everyone behaved from my experience 

Edited by SlyMeerkat, 20 July 2018 - 06:51 PM.

Schepel #13 Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:57 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 61655 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
FYI, I have witnessed, or been the victim of, pushing and/or blocking in Frontline. In just about every game I played. Therefore, I strongly suspect the OP is lying and/or suffers from a faulty memory.

WindSplitter1 #14 Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:39 PM

Major

• Player
  • 16614 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

View PostTankyouverymuch2, on 20 July 2018 - 10:42 AM, said:

I've defended this point of view ever since WG put it as a possibility but the playerbase doesn't want it for ridiculous reasons.

Dorander #15 Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:03 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18669 battles

Well there was attempted team damage going on, some pushing occasionally, 'cause people get angry for some reasons sometimes. Haven't personally seen anyone truly trolling their teammates.

It's kinda pointless to keep the angry action going when you realize you can't actually do anything for each other, it's like you're trying to fight but all you can do is throw cottonballs at each other.

PervyPastryPuffer #16 Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:46 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 31588 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostSchepel, on 20 July 2018 - 07:57 PM, said:

FYI, I have witnessed, or been the victim of, pushing and/or blocking in Frontline. In just about every game I played. Therefore, I strongly suspect the OP is lying and/or suffers from a faulty memory.

Keep your suspicions to yourself, I've never encountered such behavior in Frontline myself.

Maybe you somehow provoked them?...then again, people get aggressive over the smallest things...

View PostWindSplitter1, on 20 July 2018 - 08:39 PM, said:

I've defended this point of view ever since WG put it as a possibility but the playerbase doesn't want it for ridiculous reasons.

It's almost as if the playerbase wants this game to be hell...

Buncha masochists huh...

UrQuan #17 Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:03 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20089 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Didn't encounter blocking/trolls in FL, then again, maps are much bigger & spawns more spread out + not fixed (this last bit helps alot against blocking trolls). Closest i got to a troll was someone who parked in my tanks rear, preventing me from returning to cover, but couldn't tell if it was just a bad player or troll.

I did notice a ton more artillery firing in close combats tho. That is some annoying stuff. It's something folks tend to overlook. If teamdamage is removed, nothing stops arty from shooting into brawls, giving a major advantage to their side (arty splash debuff + damage)

Honestly, the teamdamage penalty system can do with some reworks. But remove it? No thanks, trolls will find a way anyway + arty gets even more freedom to shoot targets. Don't need that either.

Edited by UrQuan, 20 July 2018 - 10:06 PM.

250swb #18 Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:39 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 23153 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I voted 'no', but there are reasons' players weren't playing like the normal morons some are. Greed. They were spread out more to start with, and the satisfaction they get from TK'ing is much reduced with the re-spawning mechanic, but more importantly they were playing for loads of loot, armfuls of credits, free stuff, etc. So greed kept them in check. Turn team damage off in Random battles and without the vast rewards (and lack of re-spawning) and they'd just find other ways to troll teammates all battle long, and with no turning Blue to get rid of them either. And what sort of game mechanic will you have to stop them pushing a teammate into a lake? 

Edited by 250swb, 21 July 2018 - 08:39 AM.

ogremage #19 Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:40 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34110 battles
  • [KAZNA] KAZNA
I was blocked on purpose by some guy. I had to respawn far away.

Blubba #20 Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:32 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 55088 battles

Block Quote

Were there trolls/blockers in Frontline when teamdamage was turned off? I haven't heard of any.....

Sadly there were. Some days it was every third game or so. Other days it was fairly limited. Much like randoms if I'm honest.

Also tagged with Team Damage

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users