"Newbie" (Xbox->PC) looking for mods/tips

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

OstryJedrek #1 Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:04 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1442 battles

Hello Tankers

I just started playing on PC (have some experience on Xbox - same nick there) because I wanted to play in platoon with my son :) (yep, I'm that old).

I'm not a good player (so I don't really care for what color I am), but I'm looking for some advice.  Sorry if this post is too long - this is my first post here ever so I just wanted to give you some background (like if anybody cares :)).

MODS

1. "mark of excellence" percentage

One particular that I would like to have is the one showing your "demage+spot percentage" that are taken to account for "marks of excellence".

On Xbox I was capable of getting 1st mark for nearly all of my tanks above tier 6 with two notable exception

- LTG - somehow I hated that one, it felt like it looks :P

- IS7 - I've stopped playing it at all since on Xbox I don't use premium ammo (on any tank at all - it costs gold) and thus I rarely can pierce anything on tier 10

On the remaining ones I have not spent enough time but it felt like they are within my reach.  2nd mark is completely out of my reach (my best ever was around 80%) and getting "M" mastery marks is out of my reach too (with some exceptions) so I'm rather "noobish 4ever" :).

Right now on PC I'm trying to get 6th sense on AMX ELC bis (on Xbox you always get a warning when opponent is looking/aiming at you - 6th sense is only to show you that you've been spotted and the bulb indication is on as long as you are visible on opponents map) and I do so badly without it that I even won't try to describe it but ... yesterday evening after "not that lousy" game I was completely surprised by getting first stripe!  Is there a way to get that stat visible anywhere in the garage?  If not, then I'm looking for some mod (or it might be even a web page - it does not have to be in the game) that would allow me to check it.

2. Colors on the minimap

Is there a mod that would use different color for the "last seen position" (BTW this is something new to me - it's not available on Xbox)?  The shades of red between "currently visible" and "last seen" are not that different.

3. Shape of the gun pointer

That one is a petty thing.  I don't really care for it but if it is available then I'll take it.  Problem?  As I said I'm switching from the Xbox and I'm trying to learn handling of the mouse and have problems with it (mostly pointing and keeping the right zoom - on Xbox there are only two, normal and max sniper).  Couple of times it happened to me that I used wrong zoom for close combat in bushes and I really did not know if I'm pointing towards opponent or not so I'm looking for a mod that would:

- when pointing outside of the tank use e.g. diamond shape (or filled circle, or ...)

- when pointing inside the tank would switch to normal case (circle with color indicating likelihood of penetration)

4. On Xbox there are no mods available so this whole subject is new to me.  What other mods would you recommend?  I don't care for the skin mods at all.  Also not really interested in changing of icons.  Only the mods that have possibility to improve my game performance (without any cheating!!!).

MAPS

There are some differences in maps between Xbox and PC - I was beaten by it couple of times.  How can I explore them safely outside of the normal battles?  How do you create/use training room?

AMMO

As mentioned above on Xbox I never used premium ammo (because it costs gold) and to be honest after trying to use HE early in the game and nearly never getting any sensible results I kept on using just normal AP shells.  So right now when APCR are available for silver I'm sometimes using them and have no problem with understanding of them.  However I'm trying to learn how and when to use HE.  I've seen the official guides on ammo but I'm having problems to translate that information into practical tips on how and when to use HE.  The only practical tip that struck the cord was example of shooting next to hidden opponent that was camping just in order to drop the camp ratio.  But in my veeeery limited experience I either get "did not penetrate" (without any damage) or just some minuscule damage.

That's it for now - thank you in advance for the time you've spent on reading it and replying

Best regards

PS. If anybody have an internal need and passion to lecture less skilled player then I'm open for platoon invitations, ...

However there are caveats: I only speak English or Polish (tried to learn German so I'd understand basic/simple commands but nothing more), I don't like swearing and I don't like calling names/throwing invectives.

rustysprite #2 Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:22 PM

Major

• Player
  • 22115 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Ostry

I would recommend that you look at Aslains modpack, as this will contain most of what you are asking about.... and his pack is accepted as "legal" by WG

http://aslain.com/in...-sound-preview/

PointZero #3 Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 43421 battles

1. Once you mouse over the tank in question on the vehicle carousel a few pieces of usefull info pop's up

Top left: The tank type icon has golden laurels around it indicating I have elited the vehicle, aka researched all the available modules and tanks that are researchable through that vehicle. Sometimes usefull when you need to make sure you've played all your grind tanks when there's a x5 event going on.

Top right: Indicates I've yet to collect the 1st win of the day -bonus on the tank

Bottom left: show's the highest mastery badge you've gotten with the tank

Bottom Middle: shows your current winrate with the tank

Bottom right: shows how many marks of excellence you've got

When your mouse is over the tank, use right click to open a dropdown menu that allowes you to select "statistics", this automaticly finds that vehicles statistics on the service record for you

If you open the Awards tab the first thing it has listed is Marks of Excellence (grayed out if you don't have any on the vehicle yet), on the bottom of this explanation it also shows you the benchmarks for the marks and your current ratio towards earning one.

2. I highly recommend enlarging the minimap to make it clearer what's displayed there, it's a key part of maintaining map awareness.

3. Setting >  Reticle

Arcade = zoomed out

Sniper = zoomed in

MAPS

Next to the shiny red battle button on top of your garage, there's one that says "Random Battle". Once you click it there's a drop down menu showing different battle types. Selecting "Team Training"

moves you to a menu where you can either try to join an already existing training room or select to create your own.

I'd recommend creating your own and then inviting a helpfull friend over to explore the map with you as it always takes a minimum of 2 players to play in a training room.

AMMO

My personal quideline to using HE ammo on regular tanks is when I'm sure I'm able to penetrate a thinly armored opponent with it so I'll cause extra dmg and hopefully some module dmg as well.

Otherwise I carry them incase I need to reset the cap and there's a highly armored target I can't reliably penetrate so I'll settle shooting their tracks with HE and then use the time gained with the reset to find a better angle against that opponent.

Even with the minimal dmg they do with a nonpenetrating hit they can also be usefull in finishing off a strong hulldown opponent when they are on low enough hitpoints instead of trying to snipe that small cupola for the 8th time.

Exception: Some tanks have high caliber howitzers or high penetration HE shells compared to their relative tier. Those tanks in general will deal a decent amount of dmg with a non-penetrating hit and massive amount with a penetrating one.

Edited by PointZero, 20 July 2018 - 05:25 PM.

SGT_Sprocket22 #4 Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:36 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 26618 battles
  • [BULL] BULL

View PostOstryJedrek, on 20 July 2018 - 03:04 PM, said:

Hello Tankers

I just started playing on PC (have some experience on Xbox - same nick there) because I wanted to play in platoon with my son :) (yep, I'm that old).

I'm not a good player (so I don't really care for what color I am), but I'm looking for some advice.  Sorry if this post is too long - this is my first post here ever so I just wanted to give you some background (like if anybody cares :)).

MODS

1. "mark of excellence" percentage

One particular that I would like to have is the one showing your "demage+spot percentage" that are taken to account for "marks of excellence".

On Xbox I was capable of getting 1st mark for nearly all of my tanks above tier 6 with two notable exception

- LTG - somehow I hated that one, it felt like it looks :P

- IS7 - I've stopped playing it at all since on Xbox I don't use premium ammo (on any tank at all - it costs gold) and thus I rarely can pierce anything on tier 10

On the remaining ones I have not spent enough time but it felt like they are within my reach.  2nd mark is completely out of my reach (my best ever was around 80%) and getting "M" mastery marks is out of my reach too (with some exceptions) so I'm rather "noobish 4ever" :).

Right now on PC I'm trying to get 6th sense on AMX ELC bis (on Xbox you always get a warning when opponent is looking/aiming at you - 6th sense is only to show you that you've been spotted and the bulb indication is on as long as you are visible on opponents map) and I do so badly without it that I even won't try to describe it but ... yesterday evening after "not that lousy" game I was completely surprised by getting first stripe!  Is there a way to get that stat visible anywhere in the garage?  If not, then I'm looking for some mod (or it might be even a web page - it does not have to be in the game) that would allow me to check it.

2. Colors on the minimap

Is there a mod that would use different color for the "last seen position" (BTW this is something new to me - it's not available on Xbox)?  The shades of red between "currently visible" and "last seen" are not that different.

3. Shape of the gun pointer

That one is a petty thing.  I don't really care for it but if it is available then I'll take it.  Problem?  As I said I'm switching from the Xbox and I'm trying to learn handling of the mouse and have problems with it (mostly pointing and keeping the right zoom - on Xbox there are only two, normal and max sniper).  Couple of times it happened to me that I used wrong zoom for close combat in bushes and I really did not know if I'm pointing towards opponent or not so I'm looking for a mod that would:

- when pointing outside of the tank use e.g. diamond shape (or filled circle, or ...)

- when pointing inside the tank would switch to normal case (circle with color indicating likelihood of penetration)

4. On Xbox there are no mods available so this whole subject is new to me.  What other mods would you recommend?  I don't care for the skin mods at all.  Also not really interested in changing of icons.  Only the mods that have possibility to improve my game performance (without any cheating!!!).

MAPS

There are some differences in maps between Xbox and PC - I was beaten by it couple of times.  How can I explore them safely outside of the normal battles?  How do you create/use training room?

AMMO

As mentioned above on Xbox I never used premium ammo (because it costs gold) and to be honest after trying to use HE early in the game and nearly never getting any sensible results I kept on using just normal AP shells.  So right now when APCR are available for silver I'm sometimes using them and have no problem with understanding of them.  However I'm trying to learn how and when to use HE.  I've seen the official guides on ammo but I'm having problems to translate that information into practical tips on how and when to use HE.  The only practical tip that struck the cord was example of shooting next to hidden opponent that was camping just in order to drop the camp ratio.  But in my veeeery limited experience I either get "did not penetrate" (without any damage) or just some minuscule damage.

That's it for now - thank you in advance for the time you've spent on reading it and replying

Best regards

PS. If anybody have an internal need and passion to lecture less skilled player then I'm open for platoon invitations, ...

However there are caveats: I only speak English or Polish (tried to learn German so I'd understand basic/simple commands but nothing more), I don't like swearing and I don't like calling names/throwing invectives.

​I too started out playing on Xbox before converting to PC and I got to say it took me a while to get used to the controls as well. I still, though on rare occasions, go back and play the Xbox version but as I am now so used to the PC that I find it all a bit weird and the graphics aren't as good anymore (though I put that down to the picture quality of my TV). Nothing more to say. Carry on. 

Homer_J #5 Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:56 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28712 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
As far as the crosshair goes, I'm sure you can set sniper (aiming inside the tank) and arcade (aiming outside the tank) differently in the standard game options.

OstryJedrek #6 Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:28 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1442 battles

Thank you all for your replies (especially PointZero - now I know where to look for my current stats).

Will take a look at the mods indicated.  As for maps I've seen recently on YT that in replay mode one can explore map with "free camera" so that is also an option.

Thank you all

Best regards

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users