Is WoT still a campfest?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

NoPoet406 #1 Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2441 battles
  • [USAW] USAW

Hi all. I stopped playing the game not long after 1.0 dropped as I found the game had suddenly become more frustrating than ever. One of the worst problems was the number of campfests in random battles. I mean this has always been a minor annoyance in the game, maybe a couple of games out of 10 would be a campfest back in the day, but ever since 1.0 dropped, kemp bush is king in nearly every single game. Probable victories are squandered and team mates are left out to dry because everyone's treads have apparently sunk into the ground.

This seems to have come from the re-worked and re-introduced maps which now favour wide open spaces with little or no cover. Don't even get me started on Glacier - this map is the embodiment of modern WoT.

Other issues continue to grate with no fix in sight: many tanks are simply too slow, the angling mechanic seems broken (I've said it before but using WoT's angling mechanics, my T-shirt can deflect an AK-47 round if I stand diagonally).

What do people think about the current state of gameplay? Is it more frustrating or boring now than it was in previous years?

Bonus points if you can legitimately work the following phrase into your reply: "I like Star Trek Enterprise because..." :teethhappy:

Baldrickk #2 Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:47 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30142 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View PostNoPoet406, on 20 July 2018 - 09:42 PM, said:

Hi all. I stopped playing the game not long after 1.0 dropped as I found the game had suddenly become more frustrating than ever. One of the worst problems was the number of campfests in random battles. I mean this has always been a minor annoyance in the game, maybe a couple of games out of 10 would be a campfest back in the day, but ever since 1.0 dropped, kemp bush is king in nearly every single game. Probable victories are squandered and team mates are left out to dry because everyone's treads have apparently sunk into the ground.

This seems to have come from the re-worked and re-introduced maps which now favour wide open spaces with little or no cover. Don't even get me started on Glacier - this map is the embodiment of modern WoT.

Other issues continue to grate with no fix in sight: many tanks are simply too slow, the angling mechanic seems broken (I've said it before but using WoT's angling mechanics, my T-shirt can deflect an AK-47 round if I stand diagonally).

What do people think about the current state of gameplay? Is it more frustrating or boring now than it was in previous years?

Bonus points if you can legitimately work the following phrase into your reply: "I like Star Trek Enterprise because..." :teethhappy:

Only if it's at such an extreme angle the bullet passes by you before making it through to your skin. 

AK bullet far surpasses the 3×calibre overmatch rule. There is no way for the t-shirt itself to bounce the bullet.

And WOT tactics are the same as they have ever been (since the death of the camo meta at least)

Edited by Baldrickk, 20 July 2018 - 09:48 PM.

Balc0ra #3 Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:54 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66296 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

In general? IMO less so of late. Sure there was a big camping spike right after 1.0. But I'm guessing it was for most to get used to the new lay of the lands and map changes. As lately I've seen less of it. Not even seen much 2 line camping on Cliff of late.

Tho some maps still have their camping parties ofc like they did pre 1.0. Now it's back to the yolo aspect again. As most of my nasty losses of late have not been due to camping. But having 10 ppl on your team that thinks they are Rambo. So it's back to the same old again.  

gunslingerXXX #4 Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:55 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 11067 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

There is a lot of camping, I think it icreased but the solution is simple. Unlike the star trek guys you can just YOLO and play the next battle. Phrokarovka with 3 arty: boldly go where no one has gone before (that game), drive over the middle ridge :trollface:

Erwin_Von_Braun #5 Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:03 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 38254 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostNoPoet406, on 20 July 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

Other issues continue to grate with no fix in sight: many tanks are simply too slow, the angling mechanic seems broken (I've said it before but using WoT's angling mechanics, my T-shirt can deflect an AK-47 round if I stand diagonally).

Steve8066 #6 Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12437 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 20 July 2018 - 09:54 PM, said:

In general? IMO less so of late. Sure there was a big camping spike right after 1.0. But I'm guessing it was for most to get used to the new lay of the lands and map changes. As lately I've seen less of it. Not even seen much 2 line camping on Cliff of late.

Tho some maps still have their camping parties ofc like they did pre 1.0. Now it's back to the yolo aspect again. As most of my nasty losses of late have not been due to camping. But having 10 ppl on your team that thinks they are Rambo. So it's back to the same old again.  

im finding less of the YOLO and more of the lemming mentality, 12+ tanks all going the same way. On those its find a bush, camp, and hope you kill someone before you get swarmed. . As for camping itself, 1.0.0 made it worse, mainly due to WG messing up the maps, and im not seeing it been any better yet.

Bordhaw #7 Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:40 PM

Major

• Player
  • 11553 battles

unhappy_bunny #8 Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:12 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18161 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

I started playing WoT because it was supposedly based on real tanks, and most, if not all, were actual tanks that actually existed. As time went on, I noticed that fictional tanks were creeping in, and then we had the Sci-Fi Japanese Heavies appear. So the game has become something of a Science Fiction game, but this is okay as I quite like Sci-Fi. I find alien females to be very attractive. My favourite is the Star Trek franchise, in fact I Like Star Trek Enterprise because Hoshi Sato (Linda Park) is red-hot totty, even if she not strictly an alien. 

Now what was the point of this thread? I seem to have got side-tracked. 

Stalpanter #9 Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:02 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7006 battles
Camping fest is gone after the arty update with slash stun. Artys can do stun tanks camping behind rocks but do less damage. Welcome back.

Cuck0osNest #10 Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:20 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9089 battles
  • [YGDRA] YGDRA
salt and efforts of all levels -fest

vcristi #11 Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:04 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 67110 battles
  • [3NRGY] 3NRGY

Suurpolskija #12 Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:15 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18692 battles
  • [URHO] URHO
It's the same as always. People who don't know what to do, find a boosh and sit in it. But since it's more time that's gone by, it's more tier x doing it. 

Robbie_T #13 Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:18 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16349 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

So you stopped playing just after  1.0 dropped.....thats 18 march 2018........off course the game is still the same....

Just another ranting discussion.......

Sfinski #14 Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:21 AM

Major

• Player
  • 31728 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-
Yes, there's still arty, so there's still camping. 

Baldrickk #15 Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:50 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30142 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View PostSfinski, on 21 July 2018 - 10:21 AM, said:

Yes, there's still arty, so there's still camping. 

Even without arty there will be camping.

It isn't the only source of camping.

It most definitely doesn't prevent it though.

Argedeava #16 Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:46 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30606 battles
  • [GN-R] GN-R

It is normal to reach the state of campfest, as this is the appropriate answer to the level of retardness the gamebalance had reached. Tank classes and roles are a mess.

Camping is also the best way to have better results as politely emphasised by all star-streamers into "never take chances" as the golden rule.

View PostBaldrickk, on 21 July 2018 - 10:50 AM, said:

Even without arty there will be camping.

It isn't the only source of camping.

It most definitely doesn't prevent it though.

Besides arty:

- mediums with better armour than heavies, lights with better turret than heavies

- heavies with golden HE that just don`t give a shlt about armour

- tanks with ridiculous cammo

- super bushes

- gold ammo

Edited by Argedeava, 21 July 2018 - 11:53 AM.

NoPoet406 #17 Posted 28 July 2018 - 02:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2441 battles
  • [USAW] USAW
Whoops, I forgot about this thread. Thanks for the replies everyone, especially the ones that managed to reference Trek XD

I haven't started playing again yet due to after action reports from my other half who says she finds every game to be a campfest. There was a game she had the other day where only about five people total had scored any damage at all, there was only a single kill, everyone had simply camped until the timer ran out (it was an Assault battle, also known as Defender Auto-Win Scenario mk1). As far as I can tell, people are as unhappy as ever with the game.

Well, maybe some team training is in order to learn the maps properly and start to comprehend the angling mechanics, so that my AT8 is not destroyed by light tanks any more (who knew the achilles heel of super heavy seige tanks would be a 40mm autocannon?).

NoPoet406 #18 Posted 28 July 2018 - 02:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2441 battles
  • [USAW] USAW
Oh and since I cannot edit posts on mobile (why??), I like Star Trek Enterprise because of half of season 3 and most of season 4. Archer actually winning multiple fights to the death? Hell yes.

Procjon #19 Posted 28 July 2018 - 06:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 55506 battles

Campfest? i would say it is braindead zombies fest...especially on weekends. 

Today i get 2-3 min battles, loss is painful and win is too fast to enjoy.

HF

ThinGun #20 Posted 28 July 2018 - 06:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35051 battles
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO
Camping?  It's intense.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users