Let's play World of Tanks, yeah... no.

network issue

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

crnakoza #1 Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:15 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 56145 battles

Warning in advance, purpose of this post is two-fold. I want to both went my frustration and see what other users' WoT route looks like.

So today I was in a surprising mood to play some WoT, I fire up my first game only to be greeted by extreme rubber banding. So "here we go again" I thought to myself. I fire up my diagnostics tools and, sure enough, this BS again:

So, obviously, I'm at the mercy of some 3rd party ISP I have no control of, and this is not the first time this has happened.

Now, on to the purpose of this post. This problem pops out from time to time and not to everyone (funny thing is that I noticed it happen to me mostly during summer months). Due to this, many players' problems have been dismissed as torrenting in the background, or poor hardware, or viruses, or god knows what else. What I'm trying to do here is raise awareness to this issue and at the same time gather some usage data. Also make people know that they are not going insane and that there might be something going on with their network that is beyond their control (and how to check it out for sure).

I am curious what routes do you guys take to WoT servers, and what country you're playing from and what ISP do you use (I am from Croatia and my ISP is Optima Telekom).

Software you can use is pretty much any traceroute tool, here I used mtr since I run Linux, but on Windows Pingplotter seems to be recommended choice. Basically, you run traceroute to one of WoT login servers which are:

login.p1.worldoftanks.eu  - for EU1

login.p2.worldoftanks.eu  - for EU2

Set interval at one second, and leave it for few minutes to gather enough samples. And then put screenshots of results (or write them down). Also make sure nothing on your home network is causing high traffic or the results will be skewed.

Here is short explanation of technicalities:

network route - specific path your data takes to reach its desired destination. If network cables were roads, then route would be specific set of roads your data takes.

host - network device (usually a router) that processes and directs the data to its destination. Sort of like a road intersection.

network packet - smallest piece of data that is being sent over a network. Basically all network communication is being broken into a number of packets and sent piece by piece.

packet loss - situation where a packet does not reach its targeted destination in a required timeframe. It can happen due to physical interruption (faulty wiring, dead router, radio interference) or timeout (takes too long to get processed by one or more routers along the way due to too high traffic and network being overloaded, network packets have certain time to live, after which they expire and are no longer transmitted by the routers they encounter).

Spoiler

Edited by crnakoza, 26 July 2018 - 01:48 PM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate content

Xandania #2 Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:56 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36390 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-

sadly tracert seems unwilling to present package loss...

a simple ping however on both ips reports no package loss at all.

Position: Central Germany/ ISP: Telekom AG

Cobra6 #3 Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:20 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16332 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

A lot of times these kinds of issues can be fixed by NOT USING THE WIRELESS ROUTER you get from your Internet Provider. They almost always give you outdated crap hardware that can't handle modern internet usage but which for them is nice and cheap.

When I moved to the UK for work I was at a place that was using the standard Virgin wireless router and with ping plotter it showed all kinds of problems all along the line. However, once I just went out and bought a proper Wireless router and installed that, all the problems all along the line were gone instantly.

I ended up getting the Netgear R7800 router and it's awesome as well as nicely priced.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 25 July 2018 - 09:22 AM.

malachi6 #4 Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:01 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 49918 battles

View PostCobra6, on 25 July 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

A lot of times these kinds of issues can be fixed by NOT USING THE WIRELESS ROUTER you get from your Internet Provider. They almost always give you outdated crap hardware that can't handle modern internet usage but which for them is nice and cheap.

When I moved to the UK for work I was at a place that was using the standard Virgin wireless router and with ping plotter it showed all kinds of problems all along the line. However, once I just went out and bought a proper Wireless router and installed that, all the problems all along the line were gone instantly.

I ended up getting the Netgear R7800 router and it's awesome as well as nicely priced.

Cobra 6

Wireless for gaming?  I spent £3 on a cable and have never had issues.

Aimless #5 Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:31 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 23448 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postmalachi6, on 25 July 2018 - 11:01 AM, said:

Circumstances in life are not always in favour of PC gamers. Not every wife or landlord will allow you to drill holes through walls and floors. Sometimes it's even totally impossible. Feel glad you were able to solve it that way.

Cobra6 #6 Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:50 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16332 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Postmalachi6, on 25 July 2018 - 10:01 AM, said:

View PostAimless, on 25 July 2018 - 10:31 AM, said:

Circumstances in life are not always in favour of PC gamers. Not every wife or landlord will allow you to drill holes through walls and floors. Sometimes it's even totally impossible. Feel glad you were able to solve it that way.

This indeed, you can't always put down cables everywhere.

And honestly, when you have a good wireless router you really will not notice any difference between cable and wireless. You will only notice a difference with a bad router.

Cobra 6

Nishi_Kinuyo #7 Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:00 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 7725 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Just one minor issue I got with your screenshot:

Why the bloody hell is there an APIPA address in that tracert list?!

pecopad #8 Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23557 battles
  • [UGN] UGN
Is this supposed to be an excuse for WG server performance problems....

Hellraiser0201 #9 Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:37 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 23411 battles

I wonder why my ping is constantly at 60-65ms, the green lamp never goes red, i tested my connection with Ping Plotter and it showed 0% packet loss but for some reason some of my battles are laggy and impossible to move, shoot or aim properly.. in other words controls gets delayed and busted...

That happens most of the time when server has high population (evening, game events) and tends to get fine in the morning when server goes down to 10-15k..

I know it sounds weird but i feel like WoT is manipulating my account connections, some battles are perfectly normal, and others are completely unplayable due to lag. Ping never goes above 65 but sometimes it feels like more than 300. And nope, i'm not using wi-fi, my entire PC and internet are focused only on the game (WOT client) performance...

Robbie_T #10 Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:56 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16341 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Who the hell games wireless.........

I have around 10-20 ms in game if its bad its around 30ms.

Im from Holland with 270mbps download 40mbps upload.

I have 2 pc's a oldy i7920 12 gig gtx7602gig hdd drive

New one  i9 7980 64 gig Geforce titan12gig and SsD

they both run fine although the old one runs wot on SD

new one runs wot like peanuts.

crnakoza #11 Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:05 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 56145 battles

View PostCobra6, on 25 July 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

I understand where you're coming from, however, two things:

1. I run wire to my router. But you couldn't know this which leads us to:

2. You can actually see from the image I have 0 packet loss at my router (and first 7 routers for that matter).

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 25 July 2018 - 12:00 PM, said:

Just one minor issue I got with your screenshot:

Why the bloody hell is there an APIPA address in that tracert list?!

Please clarify. I'm afraid I lost you there. Which specific address you're refering to?

Edited by crnakoza, 25 July 2018 - 06:08 PM.

Nishi_Kinuyo #12 Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:45 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 7725 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View Postcrnakoza, on 25 July 2018 - 06:05 PM, said:

I understand where you're coming from, however, two things:

1. I run wire to my router. But you couldn't know this which leads us to:

2. You can actually see from the image I have 0 packet loss at my router (and first 7 routers for that matter).

Please clarify. I'm afraid I lost you there. Which specific address you're refering to?

I already specified: the APIPA one.

Ergo, any address beginning with 169.254.X.X.

And normally, you only see those if a PC fails to get an IP address assigned from a DHCP server.

Or in other words: a local network IP address that should never be seen out on the internet.

Derethim #13 Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:35 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17518 battles

There's something, that bothers me about this tho

Why does literally every game including BF4, which is known for it's shitty netcode not have a problem with wireless, but WoT does?

crnakoza #14 Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:52 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 56145 battles

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 25 July 2018 - 10:45 PM, said:

I already specified: the APIPA one.

Ergo, any address beginning with 169.254.X.X.

And normally, you only see those if a PC fails to get an IP address assigned from a DHCP server.

Or in other words: a local network IP address that should never be seen out on the internet.

Ah, I see what you mean. Unfortunately, my networking knowledge does not span that far. Yesterday I had 0 packet loss, and a different route in the second half of the list (also a shorter one by two whole hops). My guess is that it's the result of network load balancing of some sort.

TheSpearman #15 Posted 26 July 2018 - 03:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 22017 battles

View Postcrnakoza, on 26 July 2018 - 12:52 PM, said:

Ah, I see what you mean. Unfortunately, my networking knowledge does not span that far. Yesterday I had 0 packet loss, and a different route in the second half of the list (also a shorter one by two whole hops). My guess is that it's the result of network load balancing of some sort.

That's not packet loss, you've misunderstood the trace.

Traceroute/tracert/mtr use ICMP, which is normally deprioritized if not dropped entirely from major switches like those. Since it'll depend upon traffic levels it'll also occur more at busier times. This doesn't there isn't packet loss happening, it's just that's not what the mtr run is reflecting.

crnakoza #16 Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:31 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 56145 battles

View PostTheSpearman, on 26 July 2018 - 03:32 PM, said:

That's not packet loss, you've misunderstood the trace.

Traceroute/tracert/mtr use ICMP, which is normally deprioritized if not dropped entirely from major switches like those. Since it'll depend upon traffic levels it'll also occur more at busier times. This doesn't there isn't packet loss happening, it's just that's not what the mtr run is reflecting.

I understand differences between different packet types, however I have no other means to test things out. And in my experience, results of traceroute always matched the in game experience (the green/red dot that indicates packet loss in the game). If you have a better suggestion I'm all ears.

r0f #17 Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:06 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6324 battles
  • [AFUNM] AFUNM

The problem with this is that even if you pinpoint the exact node that is causing your lag / packet loss with loads of evidence from different users, it would still mean it's completely out of your hands and you'd probably need WG as a company to contact the ISP which handles that specific node and then the ISP would have their technicians check it again and then they might do something that may or may not better your situation. I mean, I mean I'm actually smiling while typing this, good luck with all that.

Another approach would be taking control yourself and installing a gaming VPN. Preferably one which lets you chain your own node configuration. Examples:

• A higher-end example would be wtfast, monthly subscription, a bit pricey in the general range but with a very solid interface, network, support, etc. The mainstream choice.

• And an underdog, one with a cheap data-plan and therefor no monthly sub (heck, only use it with wot and only when you need it and that data will last you quite a while), one with a more basic interface and setup but still all bells and whistles; mudfish.

Take control! I know, i know, would be nice if ISPs fix these issues, but what are you really expecting from people posting their trace-routes here?

Edited by r0f, 27 July 2018 - 07:10 PM.

Ciro25 #18 Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 45812 battles
  • [CRO-L] CRO-L
Dear
I started playing VOT 2013 g
my akaunt ban because of the artiy view of the trajectory I wanted to unregard or give me SS because of which i got the ban. I always reply with an automatic message and i never got the reason for the ban. I borrowed from akaunt friends and played a wot game, and I can see wherever you look at the bay and at EU1 and EU2, and guess how many players there are on both sides of the game there are not 10,000. The maps that I do not talk about are about 10 same folders, and none for the folders folder lasts longer than 5 minutes, and MM is for laughing iman ss so if you do not know what the landlords can send you. You see what is once eg of 150,000 players on 2 EU servers remained without economic earnings

crnakoza #19 Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:07 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 56145 battles

View Postr0f, on 27 July 2018 - 07:06 PM, said:

Take control! I know, i know, would be nice if ISPs fix these issues, but what are you really expecting from people posting their trace-routes here?

Curiosity, that's all. I am well aware of all the things you mentioned (except for the gaming VPNs, I didn't know that's a thing these days).

As for your advice, well, I am not spending another dime on WoT, either directly or indirectly. After four years and 60k games I'm slightly worn out.

Ciro25 #20 Posted 28 July 2018 - 01:30 PM

Private

• Player
  • 45812 battles
  • [CRO-L] CRO-L
Greeting
this morning I play 10 games at Tir 6
MM wretched and no game lasted over 5 minutes.
These guys are keeping the game alive that they want to leave it as much as they can.
But when I got into the game I opened 10 windows Summer discount buy this buy that, I would love to talk to some of the Leading people who run this project to pay you, you have untrained what could be for decades to bring you money to us and the game mutual satisfaction.Only it was obviously a bahat and thought that this would last a million years with the way you took it.You should get somebody out of someone you need to give these people some human behavior, ie, human attachment to every player.
I know from experience that you could banned the same to put it in res_mods for example except Aslains_WoT_Mod because it is not a problem there are scanners that the same player who has unlicensed modes easily he can not start the battle.
It was 8 years old for Server CS 1.6 to be a good server and I had to have excellent executives and they paid me 10 € per month and small admins 5 E.da was dream of one of the better servers at Balkan and all I can thank all Administrators, which is not the case. Now I have a dream about 5/6 premium tanks almost all open lines I got ban why this is the STROJ decision I have no possibility of explaining my ban to let SS But if we look at whether you would banal any of your money, this is the price tag above that res_mods could limit.
I have 55 g I do not know how long it will be for a long time but you simply gave me 3.5g of the game without any explanation, just because someone was more concerned with a single player.

Also tagged with network, issue

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users