Why move to higher tiers?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

vonBrumi #1 Posted 25 July 2018 - 04:24 AM

Private

• Player
  • 2123 battles

Greetings, this is my first post here, after a few hundred battles. I have now acquired the StuG, casually developing some other TDs (have always been a camper-sniper in games). Also have researched T-34, will buy later, now I have one on rental and like it. 

My question is simply: why should I move on to higher tiers? True, there are some bigger guns and thicker plates, but facing the same increase on the far side. Basically I would be doing the same in a Jagdpanther as I do in my Stug. A higher tier medium would also not be very different from T-34. There was a considerable jump from early Traktors and Jagers, mainly in mobility and concealment, but these aren't going to improve, just add some numbers to gun and armor. I also doubt if tactics would change much; what the game lacks as opposed to BF and others, not to mention strategy titles, is coordination and a commander. As far as I know, this is the case at tier VIII and onwards. Tank equipment is also the same, no smoke charges, laser sighting or whatnot. My T-34 will bounce a 75mm just the same as an Obyekt XXX a 122mm.

In other games, progress introduces new kinds of action. In an FPS, finding your first sniper rifle or silent weapon changes gameplay. In Civ, getting ships, air units or going nuclear opens up new venues - and you actually need to progress, or you will be outgunned later. In WoT, I can stop at tier V-VI, and never face much stronger enemies.

What is the promise of tier VIII or IX?

Historically, tank warfare did change a lot, mostly because of missiles, active protection and the influence of non-tank platforms and infantry weapons. I doubt WG would implement guided missiles or wheeled platforms. So what remains is the Pokemon pitch: "collect them all". But I never bought that.

By the way, I enjoy the game a lot. But if I apply my usual skepticism to the idea of constantly progressing and getting new stuff just because it's there, this dumb consumer drive, I see no point in wanting more. I feel settled. I'm not saying I would not ever try anything higher, but desire is gone. Also no need to spend money.

Of course, I'm new to it, so there is surely more to it, I just haven't discovered everything yet.

What do you think? Why did you move on and what did it bring?

JocMeister #2 Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:30 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 23258 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostvonBrumi, on 25 July 2018 - 04:24 AM, said:

Greetings, this is my first post here, after a few hundred battles. I have now acquired the StuG, casually developing some other TDs (have always been a camper-sniper in games). Also have researched T-34, will buy later, now I have one on rental and like it. 

My question is simply: why should I move on to higher tiers? True, there are some bigger guns and thicker plates, but facing the same increase on the far side. Basically I would be doing the same in a Jagdpanther as I do in my Stug. A higher tier medium would also not be very different from T-34. There was a considerable jump from early Traktors and Jagers, mainly in mobility and concealment, but these aren't going to improve, just add some numbers to gun and armor. I also doubt if tactics would change much; what the game lacks as opposed to BF and others, not to mention strategy titles, is coordination and a commander. As far as I know, this is the case at tier VIII and onwards. Tank equipment is also the same, no smoke charges, laser sighting or whatnot. My T-34 will bounce a 75mm just the same as an Obyekt XXX a 122mm.

In other games, progress introduces new kinds of action. In an FPS, finding your first sniper rifle or silent weapon changes gameplay. In Civ, getting ships, air units or going nuclear opens up new venues - and you actually need to progress, or you will be outgunned later. In WoT, I can stop at tier V-VI, and never face much stronger enemies.

Historically, tank warfare did change a lot, mostly because of missiles, active protection and the influence of non-tank platforms and infantry weapons. I doubt WG would implement guided missiles or wheeled platforms. So what remains is the Pokemon pitch: "collect them all". But I never bought that.

By the way, I enjoy the game a lot. But if I apply my usual skepticism to the idea of constantly progressing and getting new stuff just because it's there, this dumb consumer drive, I see no point in wanting more. I feel settled. I'm not saying I would not ever try anything higher, but desire is gone. Also no need to spend money.

Of course, I'm new to it, so there is surely more to it, I just haven't discovered everything yet.

Gameplay gets harder the higher up you go. Players get better, have better crews and the gameplay is a lot less forgiving. So its a bigger challenge but other than that there is pretty much no point in going up further. 

Some people think the game is "won" once you get to TX and you will a WoT god so they try to get there as fast as possible. Once they get there they will quickly realize that TX is a cesspool of broken tanks, maps badly suited for the tier and 95% full TX games. To make it even worse most of them still have no clue how to play the game...

So to answer your question, no there is really no point at all going higher if you enjoy where you are at. Game will get harder, more unforgiving and perhaps more important for a new player. It will get more expensive. Repair and ammo cost will go up. Stay where you are at. Train your crews and enjoy the game.

Yaccay #3 Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:32 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32795 battles
  • [4TL] 4TL

The reasons to move to tier X:

- You never be low tier.

- Having multiple tier X tanks gives you some prestige

- You can play ranked battles.

Bear in mind:

- Tier X is a money sink

- Higher tier players (on average) are stronger and more dedicated. Expect more competetive matches ..... stonger opponents and gold rain.  ;-)

Edited by Yaccay, 25 July 2018 - 06:36 AM.

kaneloon #4 Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:47 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28103 battles
  • [OBLIC] OBLIC

At least go to tiers X to get used to the tanks you'll met as soon as you reach tiers VIII.

Just choose well ur first X, I'll advice a heavy.

Tiers IX is the best tiers now : most of the time top tiers with a X gun.

Those tiers give access to frontline, clan wars, grand battle, ranked, ...

So : why not ?

Edit : money should not be a problem, I had 3 tiers X without spending a single € in the game.

Edited by kaneloon, 25 July 2018 - 06:51 AM.

EVILpanzer #5 Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:00 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 16851 battles

View PostvonBrumi, on 25 July 2018 - 04:24 AM, said:

I think you are completley right, very good insight. I've been playing since 2011 and "only" reached 3-4 tier 9s. Having put alot of money into the game I really wish I hadn't (several t8 prem tanks mostly).

As someone above stated, higher tiers is a cesspool of crapsince gameplay is less forgiving. It feels highly competetive at that level and many players have rushed tiers to get there, and some are very good and many sucks.

But the worst imo is as you figured out is the lack of endgame content. For a player that "just play the game" (no clan or whatever bullcrap) the only thing this game has going for it is "Pokemon, collect them all". And I'm not relly buying that either, just to bad it took me several years and alot of money to figure that out, sigh.

One parable thats easy to miss. This is a hobby right? A passtime recreation?!? You should think about the time you spend unlocking pixels, ones and zeroes on some server. Nothing of which you own and thus can be taken away at moments notice.

So, my opinion... stay where you are and when you get bored, play another game or go outside. This game wont improve much (it hasn't over 7 years anyway).

"This is is your life, and it’s ending one minute at a time".

Edited by EVILpanzer, 25 July 2018 - 07:09 AM.

LordMuffin #6 Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:06 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 48123 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

Just stay at T5-T6 if that is where you find your fun.
No reason to adventure past it.

Main difference between T5 and T8+ is that on T5 few have 6th sense on the commander, on T8+ almost everyone have it.
Another difference is that tanks get more comfortable, better gun handling, accuracy and shell velocity making range shots easier to hit.
Tanks also die way slower.
On T1-T3 you can die by 1 to 2 enemy tanks within 1-3 seconds, on T8+ it takes 1-2 tanks roughly 20 seconds to kill you. This also opens up new tactics, like using your hp as a resource. Making it more forgiving imo.

I don't think players are better at T10 compared to T5, at least not in my experience.

You do a bad move on T1-T3, you die. You do a bad move on T8+ you lose 80% of your hp.

Edited by LordMuffin, 25 July 2018 - 07:08 AM.

Xandania #7 Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:08 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36347 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-

Welcome to the forums!

No reason to rush up or even go there at all - play whatever you like to play. That is one of the great parts about this game - no end game.

In some lines (Italy, Czech and Sweden) some things change at tiers 8+ - Italy gets an autoreloader, Czechs get an autoloader and swedish TDs get siege mode.

All the other (older) lines just get regular tanks without any special mechanics. Not neccessarily bad tanks though.

As for the Pokemon-factor (that cought me): most tank lines have keeper tanks (tanks you like to play), many of them hidden behind sour grapes. I think it pays to check them all out (which is my reason for grinding all the time).

What I want to say is: Do play the game any way you want (within reason - shooting greens is not recommended) and as long as you have fun everything is peachy :)

jack_timber #8 Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:14 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 33432 battles

I probably have 5 or 6 tanks I play regularly, 1 each at T4, 5, 6 (2 at 6 both arty), 8 and 9. Given up grinding and now just a "casual" player that enjoys playing these few tanks.

If you are content at whatever tier you are at then that is the key to enjoyment in my book.

Grinding can be frustrating unless you can free XP past some of the stock equipment and playing with a 70% crew isn't to much fun.

Stick with what you have and enjoy for a thousand battles or so then re-evaluate how you feel.

Meant to say if you do want to try higher tiers there is often Common Tests, there's one running now, you can try as many T10s as you want.

Edited by jack_timber, 25 July 2018 - 07:19 AM.

Hamsterkicker #9 Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:48 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 33987 battles
  • [TEAMB] TEAMB

There is no real end game at higher tiers, so you are right in saying that it does not matter at all if you stay at lower tiers or go up. It is entirely up to you. It does not get more or less rewarding.

Myself I waited for about 15 K battles before I bought my first tier X. Now 15K battles later I have 8 of them and about 20 tier 9's and hardly ever play below tier 6, with tier 7,8 & 9 being my current sweet spot. Tier X is not (yet) my cup of tea..

After time randoms may become boring and you may want to participate in events like  Personal campaigns, Frontline mode, Ranked battles or even in group activities, like strongholds, team battles etc. For those events you always need some high tier tanks, either at tier 8 or 10 to participate or to make missions easier.. It is definitely easier to do 3K damage with a tank that does 450 damage per shot, then in tanks that do 100 per shot etc.

Just explore the game a bit more, take your time, have fun along the way, and who knows..

JocMeister #10 Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:52 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 23258 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostYaccay, on 25 July 2018 - 06:32 AM, said:

The reasons to move to tier X:

- You never be low tier.

- Having multiple tier X tanks gives you some prestige

- You can play ranked battles.

Bear in mind:

- Tier X is a money sink

- Higher tier players (on average) are stronger and more dedicated. Expect more competetive matches ..... stonger opponents and gold rain.  ;-)

There is no prestige in having TX tanks. Even the absolute worst players in WoT can get all the TX tanks in the game. No skill involved whatsoever, only time invested.

Steffin #11 Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:04 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 24754 battles
  • [WOOF] WOOF
The only advantage of higher tiers are that some missions are easier to fulfill in higher tier (like the personal missions or the Kursk missions).  The best reason to play higher tier is because you want to play a new tank.  By playing the tanks you face, you get a good idea what their weaknesses are.  But in general the spot range of the high tiers are too large for the maps, so maps are effectively much smaller.  Which makes it for me less interesting.

Solstad1069 #12 Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:22 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 41019 battles

@OP

The mid tiers are the best place with the most fun and the place with the best tank balance.

My opinion ofcourse :)

Grind several lines from several nations, train their crews and maybe if you want down the road grind a couple further down the tiers.

Sunshinetrooper #13 Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:35 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 7636 battles
wot is similiar to MMORPG's, you go from tier 5 to 7 and you get more stats, just like you go from a level 50 to a level 70 zone, you are now killing white yeti's instead of lesser white yetis :D

Jigabachi #14 Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:00 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Welcome to the forums and congratulation - you are the one out of 1000 players who understood that mindlessly rushing up the tiers is pointless.

Simply look through the techtrees and check if there are some tanks that you might have fun with, be it tier one, five or ten, or anything in between. Doesn't matter. Those are your goals.

shane73tank #15 Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:01 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 28153 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

If you are enjoying things at current tiers then stay where you are and press battle some more , move up a tier when you enjoy the current tanks playstyle but get bored at that tier, there Is no race to the end in wot , you are right in your assessment of what the higher tiers bring 

welcome me to the forum , home to a wide variety of opinions - none of which should be taken too seriously 

iztok #16 Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:17 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 35215 battles

Hi!

> Why move to higher tiers?

No one forces you to do so. I tried them, and didn't like them. Same stuff, just more expensive and more "campy". So I kept playing at tiers 4, 5 and 6. But if you don't try them, you'll be missing something. Just beware: game changes a lot in high tiers. Many moves you did in low tiers don't work anymore, many positions are not safe anymore, and higher-tier tanks are significantly harder opponents. You'll need to re-learn a lot of the game if you want to be successful. But beware: if you  take WoT seriously, it quickly turns out as an nearly endless frustration. :(

WRT that fact, you can also forget grind and achievements and missions and just play for fun. It's entirely up to you. :great:

BR,  Iztok

Xandania #17 Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36347 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-

View PostJocMeister, on 25 July 2018 - 06:52 AM, said:

There is no prestige in having TX tanks. Even the absolute worst players in WoT can get all the TX tanks in the game. No skill involved whatsoever, only time invested.

Absolutely true - that way I got mine.

anyhow, everyone has some reason for playing this game - and I admit to mine:

Spoiler

kaneloon #18 Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:32 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28103 battles
  • [OBLIC] OBLIC
No offense, but funny how many players whine about the MM, that "meeting tiers 8 with tiers 6 is hell" - and then say that "staying low tiers is nice" ...

slitth #19 Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:39 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11953 battles

Well that the trick with WoT and game with similar design.

You can got the the mid tier and stay there and get more or less the same experience as in tier 10.

But we are conditioned from other games try and max thing out so we can get to the end-game.

It this conditioning that WoT takes advantage of so you grind to the next tier because it close to the "max"

This is reinforced by adding tier 10 only content to the game.

While this is done by WG to make money for the long grind, this is not something that is necessarily bad.

Having a end goal in the game as tier 10 can give a player a sense of accomplishment.

After all it has that effect on me when I got my first tier 10.

Sadly I do not find tier 10 gameplay that interesting because there is so much you need to do to keep playing it.

A tendency I find is slowly clawing its way down the tiers

Edited by slitth, 25 July 2018 - 09:40 AM.

Geno1isme #20 Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:57 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 42604 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View PostvonBrumi, on 25 July 2018 - 05:24 AM, said:

Gameplay changes in higher tiers: you get more damage per shot, but longer reloads. Also the ratio of HP to DPM gets closer to 1:1, and armor becomes more significant. Due to higher viewranges some positions don't work that well as they do in low- and mid-tiers.

At T5 you can usually kill an enemy tank in 20 seconds or less if you fire constantly and make every shot count. At T8 you need twice that long. (Talking averages, of course this also depends a lot on the specific tanks involved). At T5 with max viewrange and some camo you can often fire undetected, at T8 in the same situation you'll get spotted instantly.

Doesn't mean that gameplay in higher tiers is better, just different. Which you like more is up to you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users